Need tips for taming

Godlikeion

3 hours ago, Godlikeion said:

I need tips on what to tame I don’t play much and I don’t know any dinosaurs that I should tame I am on island playing with a friend what tames should well I and my friend tame?

I allways like to go with resource dino's, those guys make building bases and such super easy. Bronto, anky, deodicuris. But I absolutely must mention the argentavis. The pack mule of a bird that can kick butt as well. However I think you need to be a level 64 or something before you can unlock their saddle engram.

If your brand new however, Id suggest a parasaur, trike, and raptor. parasaur is good for gathering narc berries, raptor is good for meat, and trike is good for defence. Parasaur and raptor is easy to tame, just use bolas and a club....trike is easy as you can get ontop of a rock and shoot arrows at it. Try to go for low levels as they will go down easy, however if you find a high level you really want, you may want to try and use a trap.

Build taming pens. A simple one is placing fence foundations in a square. Then place doorways on the fence foundations about 2 or 3 high depending on how large the dino is. Then on one side of the square place ramps down to the ground. Then you can get the dino to chase you. Run up the ramp and into the trap and the dino will fall in and you can run out the doorway walls and shoot at the trapped dino.

Or a similar cage with a dino gate and door that you can get an Argentavis to chase you into the trap and close the gate door when it enters.

4 hours ago, Rintrahhh said:

Or a similar cage with a dino gate and door that you can get an Argentavis to chase you into the trap and close the gate door when it enters.

Iv got the perfect argy trap. Its a single stone foundation so if your worried about leaving trash out when your done with it, just dectroy the single foundation and it all goes away.
Sadly the video expired on twitch, but if you want I can redo the video so you can see for yourself

1 hour ago, wizard03 said:

Iv got the perfect argy trap. Its a single stone foundation so if your worried about leaving trash out when your done with it, just dectroy the single foundation and it all goes away.
Sadly the video expired on twitch, but if you want I can redo the video so you can see for yourself

Nah, don't bother. I only play single player so I don't mind leaving traps out, unless they're disrupting spawn areas.

Actually I have a bird tame but I’m not sure what spiecise it is but it acts like a mobile smithy in my experience I was thinking of taking a quetzal so I could get a titanosour (I have titanasour feeding on and upgrade flier movement speed on) but when I get a titanasour I was going to turn it into a mobile base for longhorn trips also can you farm organic polymer?

The bird with the mobile smithy is an argentavis, which are some of the best tames in the game - good ones will be able to carry literally a ton of weight, (multiple tons for the well bred ones) and get a weight reduction on a wide variety of materials, like metal, crystal, and obsidian. And they are good fighters as well. Your titanasaur plan is pretty ambitious; queztals are a pain to tame solo, though I suppose you could eat a rare flower and lead it into a trap. For organic poly, I think the only way to farm it is tame a bunch of female penguins and at least one male, and then start hatching & clubbing the babies.  

1 hour ago, Godlikeion said:

For the titanasour and quetzal I have a friend and a stockpile of around 2000+ unused metal and for organic polymer I will do penguins for organic polymer and I’m also going to tame tech parasours and breed them for electronics and levles

Hey, Im not sure how far your ingame now. I used to go for a pack of Allos as one of my first goal to tame. But now Carnos also have a bleed attack and are a lot easier to tame, they can bleed out and help you get rid of Alphas if neccesary. Plus get you some good Xp/loot. Pump HP and they can get you a way more comfortable feeling in dangerous encounters etc.

5 hours ago, Godlikeion said:

I’m lvl 80 something but I’m constantly scared of dying far away and loose my stuff so I stay at base and occasionally grind

If you want, you could do what I did on my first run, which was to build smaller outposts here and there with a bed, cryo fridge with multiple argy pods, and acouple large bookshelves with basic clothing and weapons.....If you die, boom. Respawn close by, grab clothing and crossbow with arrows, toss out argy and get your stuff back.

On 6/12/2021 at 1:56 AM, Godlikeion said:

Yes I am working on that it’s just no good ways to transport materials 

Sadly that is one of the hard parts. You could make a couple "pack mule only" argies, maybe get lucky and find a high level quetzel, or get a bronto base going, then just wander "TO" the materials, but in the end, yeah. Its grindy.

On 6/11/2021 at 7:12 PM, Godlikeion said:

I’m lvl 80 something but I’m constantly scared of dying far away and loose my stuff so I stay at base and occasionally grind

You've got to lose that mentality.    We all start out that way.   The game makes you spend so much time grinding to get equipped that your "stuff" becomes ridiculously important.   I remember spending hours just running back and forth trying to find my death bag before it despawned.  1000's and 1000's of hours later, I can look back and remember most of that stuff was just primitive garbage.

I would highly recommend you get good at taming without a trap if you ever expect to play on an official server.   All these cute youtube videos with people building traps and picking up wild dinos in PVE and dropping them in a pen are nice and all if you just plan on playing single player or a private unofficial server, but most of the time when you find a dino on an official server, you're not going to be able to just build a trap near it or pick it up because of PVE rules and because people build all over the map and you can't build close to their structures.

I will say that having played official PVE, single player, and now unofficial on my own private server that the reload bug is 100X worse on private servers for whatever reason.   It was pretty rare for me on Official or SP.   I tamed my first 150 Giga on official just flying around, jumping off my argy and firing tranq arrows, eventually using a mountain to fire down on it.

I don't personally believe in "starter" dinos.   I hear people say things like, "Get yourself a good parasaur first to get around the map"  or "Trikes are good early game berry getters!" but those are the types of tames that end up sitting around your base doing nothing as you progress later.   Essentially if you're just running around doing things you're going to level up ridiculously quick anyways, especially if you're playing on an even slightly boosted server or a 2-3x weekend.   Of course even the bigger tribes on my server always said I was never a Bob.   I started out north of Far's Peak, I never bothered with the easy spawns.

My list of essentials tames are:  Ankylosaurus, Argentavis, Baryonyx, Basilosaurus, Doedicurus, Deinonychus, Dung Beetles, Equus, Giganotosaurus, Jerboa, Mantis, Megaloceros, Megatherium, Otter, Oviraptor, Quetzal, Rex, Thylacoleo, Yutyrannus, Aberrant Megalosaurus, Aberrant Spino, Bulbdog, Karkinos, Rock Drake, Snow Owl, Velonosaur, and Gachas.   Also, some variant of wood gatherer, whether that be a Castoroid (Beaver), Mammoth, or I personally prefer a Roll Rat.   A Beaver is nice because they can be picked up by an Argy.

Ankylosaurus, and Doedicurus are essential for farming (Aberrant varieties if you're on AB), and the Megaloceros is great for collecting Thatch, or caving if you're a shotgun/crossbow type (get a male, don't bother with a female, they can't do anything.)  Karkinos makes carrying those tames and moving them around a lot easier and lets you blacklock an Anky when gathering metal, crystal, or gems.  Mantis is still the best creature for harvesting Element, Element Dust, or Element Shards on Extinction and Crystal Isles.  Gachas just make farming in general easier and it helps to have an Iguanodon to help feed the Gachas, although I didn't put them on the list.

Argentavis is your Karkinos of the sky on regular maps.   A Wyvern is nice to have on the bigger maps just to get around quicker, but their weight will never rival an Argy.   You can use a Quetz if you like, but I put a Quetz on the list because its still the easiest way I know of pre-genesis to tame the Desert Titan.

An Equus in a cryopod is great for taming in the event that you accidently KO a tame in the water.   You can drag it out with the Lasso.  It's also a very low level saddle if you DO need a "starter dino."

Baryonyx is fantastic for caving and collecting fish meat, and is a natural gateway to taming a Basilosaurus.  A good, bred Basil will get you through pretty much everything you need under the water.   They have large health pools, melee levels up nicely and they're immune to Squid grabs and Jellyfish stuns.

Dung Beetles are necessary for fertilizing a Garden and a Garden is necessary to get better tames and do certain dungeons.  Oviraptors make your other dinosaurs produce more eggs, which is essential for kibble.   Add a second Ovi of the opposite sex and you have a source of simple kibble eggs.

Giganotosaurus is essential for almost everything on Extinction and is great for handling any type of Alpha creature that isn't in the water.

Jerboa is only necessary on Scorched Earth, but it's an essential tame for its weather radar ability.  Bulbdogs are, IMO, the best light pet for Aberration because of their regen ability.   Glowtails have the highest regen ability, but they're harder to find and anecdotally I get less performance out of them.   I prefer to pump Regen rather than Charge Capacity, because it doesn't matter how long your light can stay on if it goes out and stays out for a long period of time.  Otters are great for insulation in place of fortitude or wearing different armors, they can collect pearls early game, and they can carry more than one artifact in caves.   You can also use them in a pinch to hatch an egg.   Egg won't incubate?  Throw it on a pile of Otters with their Melee pumped and see what happens.

Megatheriums make the Swamp Cave on Island and the Lair on Valguero a walk in the park.   They're also nice on the stairway in the Jungle Cave on Rag.

Rexes and Yutys are still the best dinos for most boss fights, but having some bred Deinos is a massive help.  Aberrant Megalosaurs can be used against Dragon on the Island if you do the fight at night, and they're great for the Old Railway cave and parts of the Hidden Grotto on Ab.  Thylacoleo makes short work of the Ice Cave on Rag and works as a general land transport and taming buddy since you can fire off its back.

Aberrant Spinos are the best way to get a Rock Drake egg without transferring in off map dinosaurs from extinction or genesis, and a Rock Drake is one of the most underrated dinos in the whole game.  A good Rock Drake can be your taming companion, get you around Ab, quickly cross big maps like Ragnarok or Crystal Isles and while its DPS is a little slow, it can handle any dinosaur that comes at it.    It shrugs off torpor from a Reaper Queen (and is the best way to get pregnant by one) and if you're really good on one and you master the pounce ability, I've even taken down Wild Gigas with them, although it takes a LONG time and some healing between rounds.

Snow Owls are just good overall utility birds for their night vision ability to spot things around you and their ability to heal wild dinosaurs during taming, or your own tames, and Velonosaurs are the easiest way short of a Giga to take down a Rock Elemental, or more importantly, Rubble Golems and the Lava Golem.

On 6/11/2021 at 11:18 PM, Dreadcthulhu said:

The bird with the mobile smithy is an argentavis, which are some of the best tames in the game - good ones will be able to carry literally a ton of weight, (multiple tons for the well bred ones) and get a weight reduction on a wide variety of materials, like metal, crystal, and obsidian. And they are good fighters as well. Your titanasaur plan is pretty ambitious; queztals are a pain to tame solo, though I suppose you could eat a rare flower and lead it into a trap. For organic poly, I think the only way to farm it is tame a bunch of female penguins and at least one male, and then start hatching & clubbing the babies.  

Rare flowers don’t work on Quetzals ☺️

Archived