How do you like Genesis Part 2?

spacebaerchen

I enjoy it.

It's a wholly different meta. Basic survival is almost assured, which makes starting out a piece of cake. That is a mixed bag. If it were me, I'd have added some other kind of randomized public event... like, an attack from Rockwell's forces in the Eden Biome around the mission terminals. Fit's the lore.

I think the DLC is worth it for the new tames and engrams. That map itself is pretty cool. It's different enough to justify it's existence.

FYI... I have been mostly able to get to the map of my choice without waiting. I have a base area that serves me. As a general rule, though... I transport back to my CI main base after a play session, so as to make sure I do not get stuck with a server full. YMMV.

I only spent a few hours on the map so far but I think it's amazing. Just the sheer scope of it is mindblowing. They managed to pretty much cram up everything that was cool with every previous expansion into this one, and somehow it's even greater than the sum of those parts. The egg incubator alone is a must have if you breed dinos.

I play on a cluster, so at this point in my "Ark career" I'm not really looking to start fresh or have basic survival. I just want to take all the stuff I've amassed on the previous maps, all the ascendant quality gear and the mutated dino lines, and throw it all into a big epic conclusive effort while I finish up Extinction and Genesis part 1. After that I'll have had 5-5.5k hours into Ark and it'll be time to move on to other things.

Like Ark 2 :P

So anyway, for my particular play style, the DLC is amazing.

New weapons - outstanding 

New creatures  - outstanding 

New building pieces - useful 

Map layout and design - best yet imo beating even Ab

Missions - seem improved although I've only done a few.

PvP has completely shifted now that everyone is flying around like Neil Armstrong. Its so much more fun.

It's a 10/10 so far for me except for a few bugs like honey and the HLnA store that have been officially recognized already 

Good morning, I also wanted to initiate a discussion again

A feedback from me.

I think the design is very successful. I can't fault the card.

But the missions. In my opinion, they are implemented cheaply and without imagination and do not fit ARK. Why do you do something like that in such a successful map is an absolute mystery to me?

Why is this not based on Quast where you have to search for certain parts of a Pussel and put them together that you dynamically position in the world. Or that you set up a station to scan dinosaurs and the task is to bring a copy of each species. To name just a few considerations.

But I don't understand what a canoe trip with ARK should be like, it's just tasteless. If I wanted a sports simulator, I could have bought it in better quality. In my eyes, the missions are just shot down without ideas and carelessly. So in the way fast fast there is still something missing and just not too Complx could be quality.

If I didn't have my new map project, I would show WC how it could still work.

From a PvE perspective, I kinda love it as it's like a penultimate ARK map that shifts the focus away from the early grind game  going through the same motions kinda gameplay(one of the reasons I don't enjoy the free DLC maps as much apart from Ragnarock with all its caves). Similarly in other DLC maps(PvE), but the time I get access to Tek stuff, I've already done pretty much all I want to do on them, so never really found any use for them, so it's a nice change to get to use them throughout the gameplay before beating the boss instead.

Bugs aside, I think there are a few map design decisions that could have been better like the visual design of the green areas being way too similar almost reminding me of Scortched Earth which I found rather lacklustre. It just seems a shame to quarter the map, but not make the zones more visually striking and distinctive. 

Water areas seem to have taken a step backwards compared to the Gen 1 clear waters and bioluminescent versions of the water creatures. Again, this is more of a visual gripe. 

On a random note, I don't get why they bothered with an R version of the Parasaur/Allo  when there was already an X version? There are so many other creatures they could have made an X version for. So, I just don't get why they went for some of the same creatures that featured as X already. I also love the new Giga mostly cause...finally...it has a good skin where the damn claws are actually properly coloured to stand out. 

Lastly, I've not been a fan of them progressively dropping caving from the map design. Even without artifacts, they could have added some with say a rare drop inside you need to reach and defend against a few enemy waves (like extinction) to get the rare loot. I get the PvP issue with tribes locking down the caves, but could have worked around that to keep the caving experience, which can be one of the most fun part and exploration rewarding of Ark. Given the tek structures/City of the map, they could have made some sick ''caves/Labyrinths'' there.

I have never seen such low framerates in any map before.  Even Rag runs smooth on my computer.

Granted, there are some clever ideas and expansions on the gen 1 mission types, but I can't give it too much credit if I can't play it with an acceptable frame rate.

There are floating bushes and bugged missions, but I suspect those will eventually get fixed.  I am not sure if the map can be optimized to have a decent frame rate.

40 minutes ago, maxplanck58 said:

I have never seen such low framerates in any map before.  Even Rag runs smooth on my computer.

Granted, there are some clever ideas and expansions on the gen 1 mission types, but I can't give it too much credit if I can't play it with an acceptable frame rate.

There are floating bushes and bugged missions, but I suspect those will eventually get fixed.  I am not sure if the map can be optimized to have a decent frame rate.

I can't say that I've experience low frame rates. Mostly Max settings (I drop terrain shadows a bit)

This map uses more memory than the others, from what I can tell.

I'm running i7-8700 3.2GHz, 16 gb ram, and GeForce RTX 2080.

As an overall addition to the Ark: Survival Evolved Games - I would have to say that I have mixed feelings with the Genesis maps.

There are a few reasons I can think of why they may have taken the direction they did. And for some, they work, and there is nothing wrong with that. To each their own. For those that like it and enjoy it, I am sincerely happy for you. 

For myself and the small group I play with, we weren't impressed. That can be taken as you would like. For some background information, we are not a heavy group of gamers, but casual ones that prefer the early game to end game and like choosing our own route. We don't care for mission based quests, tek infused standards, or the sci-fi direction that the Genesis Maps, and even that of Extinction, have taken. 

In a lot of ways, I think it depends on how you play if you will enjoy it. If you like the story and more modern implements and the new mission system, this is the map for you. If you prefer a more primitive game play... perhaps not. 

I'm not sure whether I can formulate a coherent response yet to this question.

There's definitely things that I enjoy and like about this DLC, but there's a lot of major problems that make it really hard to enjoy this DLC at the same time.
I'm actually curious whether this DLC was thoroughly tested for running on medium systems, as not everyone can simply afford the high-end PCs.
There are a lot of loading issues, freezes, stuttering and actual breaking bugs that cannot be excused for the release at this point.

But I'm looking forward to try out all the new stuff.
I'd just appreciate if Wildcard actually provided feedback in forum posts about the issues being reported instead of the usual dreaded silence.

Well we play on our own unofficial server, using standard official rates but with some tweaks (10x breeding) with S+ installed.  I have to admit when I first loaded it up and it was all tek and all available instantly I didn't know what to do.  I flew around and explored a little but quickly got bored.

For our server we are thankful for the option to turn off giving the tek suit on spawn and so far it's quite an impressive map - lots to explore although I'd like to see some more caves again. 

Ocean I went into and it looked very pretty down there - but first thing I met was a 130 Alpah Mosa and my sight seeing didn't last long.

Not explored much of the Rockwell side as for first couple of days - without tek suit enabled - I assumed I would insta die going out into the space void naked and so avoided it ... just these little things that all add a little to the gameplay for me.

Ok so I have been seeing Part 2 to Genesis fly around and after a good few hours of watching some lets plays, in all honestly I think Genesis Part two is mostly all plot. Now don't get me wrong here my opinion isn't golden I know there have been tonnes who have absolutely enjoyed this game. However this map doesn't feel like Ark and I'll explain why. For a start its very heavily based on Rockwell who we all know is the final boss in the game, however this is where I think Part 1 to Genesis succeeds Part 2 because there was lots of mystery and exploring the maps was challenging despite being able to just teleport between biomes. With Part 1 and all the previous maps canon or not there wasn't one set goal with anything, defeating the final boss wasn't on you're mind it was about building, finding sweet spots to make home, taming and exploring. In a nutshell all of that you couldn't just do because of how dangerous doing so on foot would be. Like imagine for an example trying to build base in the element region in Abberation, it would be nearly impossible.

Though not all of the above justifies why I love all the previous games/DLCs, however the examples I mentioned are why I think Part 2 to Genesis is pretty disapointing and kinda sloopy. First off you get a Tek suit as soon as you spawn and thats a big problem with exploring because now its way too easy, all the effort game developers put into to make epic underground oceans, rockwell's garden and disgusting biomes etc.... is ruined because you can just fly. I've legit seen people just use the tek suits to collect stuff (with some bother of course) as with other games like Extinction or Scorched Earth doing that is suicide. Overall the tek suits are way too OP, you can just fly around without consuming elemenet which ruins the challenge of adventure. Now I'm sure that there are ways of disabling tek suits but still though the fact that this was an idea that came into reality has already made me turn my nose down.

Another thing is dinosaurs, yes all the pteranodons, brontosaurus etc... are useless. Because of how much fantasy Ark has added to the game plus the tek suits the flyers we've grown to love are obsolete. I know pteranodons were kinda already obselete in Extinction but difference is that you almost had to tame a pteranodon if you wanted to lets say get to the snow biome from the Sanctuary. And even the gasbags are balanced because controlling them while new to their mechanics is a bitch. However Genesis Part two craps all over that by making exploring the map almost a piece of cake. Hell it doesn't take long for some to get right to Rockwell's inards and even though the area is littered with danger flying really makes you're chances of survival a lot more than starting in any other map. 

The other issue I have is the story and how it revolves around Rockwell. Now yet again this is just my opinion, if anyone who sees this disagrees then so be it, its why I'm letting all this out. But Rockwell's actual power isn't 100% explained, like we all know that he injected molten element into his system which caused him to mutate and how he merged into the Abberant Ark. However seeing him as the final boss to Part 2 doesn't really click, the moment we knew Rockwell was behind sabotaging the simulations in Part 1 we almost were sure he would be a final boss in Part 2. And I wouldn't be having this issue so much if his Prime form wasn't so much of a wet sandwhich, the master controller (which was also Rockwell) was far more exciting of a battle than Rockwell Prime. There are no corrupted creatures or malfunctioned tek creatures, and we don't see any high level of power that we haven't seen before besides Rockwell himself. Its all just boring and a waste of effort, money and time. 

I honestly feel legit disapointment with Part 2, nearly all the elements Ark had when it first started out has been compleatly lost with Part 2. Its literally all just plot and buildup to Ark 2 and little of what we've grown to love. It would have been awesome to know that perhaps the ship had dinosaurs the other Arks somehow lost or didn't have to begin with, or perhaps seeing the source to where the Element came from, perhaps its creators would have been a final boss.

I would like to know what impressions other people had when they've seen/ played this game. Would be good to hear some input because honestly I just don't feel this game at all.

Have globally the same feeling.

I can understand the drive of making the game easier over time to sell more copies, but this really feels like the end of the road for ARK.  The "Survival" just isnt there anymore. Also, breeding and transfers have made taming irrelevant on every map which has transfers allowed.

I remember fearing raptors for days when I started ARK on Island a long time ago. I remember my wooden cabin it took me days to build, and my few dodos, being ruined by an alpha carno and having to start all over again. I remember it took me monthes of breeding to have my first element.

With Gen2, just flew and built in a spot where no dinos can reach, and Tek replicator crafted in less than a day after DLC release.

I just hope for ARK2 they'll remember the core player base that played their game for years, that they will make it HARD and greatly limit transfers. But I would not hold my breath on this, since this could be in contradiction of selling many copies.

I mean there are some elements which are new and interesting such as the missions being more exciting than Part 1. But besides that the whole drive of playing Part 2 is beating Rockwell which isn't how I would want to play the game. The map although massive feels contained and new features such as the canoe are useless because of the tek suit.

Sometimes I feel that the whole gameplay was rushed in a way. Though a positive they really outdid the map.

• Volunteer Moderator
49 minutes ago, georgematthias61 said:

Sometimes I feel that the whole gameplay was rushed in a way.

It doesn't seem so much rushed as just left behind. Almost as if very little effort was put into it (other than the scale of the map).

The map to me is boring really. Once you fly around it once you've pretty much been there done that. Like you said, there's almost no reason to tame anything other than a gathering Stryder. The dinos seem randomly spread across the whole map, most of the dinos serve no purpose but for meat runs.

Stuff like the canoe is absolutely useless at this point. Would have been a blast to have it at the beginning.

Once transfers are allowed in, you just bring in your god-breed dinos and march right to Rockwell and the game is over.

On 6/16/2021 at 10:47 AM, Joebl0w13 said:

It doesn't seem so much rushed as just left behind. Almost as if very little effort was put into it (other than the scale of the map).

The map to me is boring really. Once you fly around it once you've pretty much been there done that. Like you said, there's almost no reason to tame anything other than a gathering Stryder. The dinos seem randomly spread across the whole map, most of the dinos serve no purpose but for meat runs.

Stuff like the canoe is absolutely useless at this point. Would have been a blast to have it at the beginning.

Once transfers are allowed in, you just bring in your god-breed dinos and march right to Rockwell and the game is over.

Yeah the Dolphin or noglin or shadowmane or maewing dont seem useful at all... 

On 6/16/2021 at 7:47 AM, Joebl0w13 said:

Yea, I can't figure out any purpose for the canoe. It seems like a cool way to get around, but we all have Tek suits and there's not much water on the map anyway. The only thing I can think of is maybe Leeds won't chase them, so they could serve some purpose on another map. Even there though, everybody has high-powered dinos to get around.

• Volunteer Moderator
Just now, zero064 said:

Yea, I can't figure out any purpose for the canoe. It seems like a cool way to get around, but we all have Tek suits and there's not much water on the map anyway. The only thing I can think of is maybe Leeds won't chase them, so they could serve some purpose on another map. Even there though, everybody has high-powered dinos to get around.

Would have been really fun to have on the Island back in the day. Even more so if you could fish from it with nets and whatnot.

Archived