Raising rexes

Andyk93

Hi, I want to try and breed rexes ready for my first boss fights. With a full time job I’m finding the game almost impossible anyway but to the time requirements. 4 days of looking after a Rex when I can only play a couple hours a day just seems like it’s punishing me for not spending my life on the game. What can I do to afk raise them or other tactics? I cannot just log in every 8 hours or so and I also play on ps5 on official

Get cryopods. even if you just have a fridge there would be enough time on them to raise the rexes. That way while you're on you can fill up troughs and let the rexes eat/grow and then when you're going to be offline pop them into pods. The other option is to fill more troughs with cooked meat or basic kibble in addition to the troughs of raw meat (to ensure they don't run out of food and starve while you can't be there), but there's always the risk of something happening. Benefits of option 1 is that you'll get full imprint and zero risk of them dying until they're grown, but it'll take longer. Benefit of option two is they'll grow up sooner but there's always the chance they'll starve and you could miss imprints, which you really need for boss fights.

Thanks, I probably play maximum of 3 hours a day because it’s all the spare time I have (I still think that’s a lot) and at that rate with a cryopod. One Rex is going to take me 32 days to raise to full. It just seems a ridiculous amount of time. If I could get them to last 24 hours with just the troughs I could drop it to 4 days which seems more reachable but I don’t think that’s possible? 

31 minutes ago, Andyk93 said:

Thanks, I probably play maximum of 3 hours a day because it’s all the spare time I have (I still think that’s a lot) and at that rate with a cryopod. One Rex is going to take me 32 days to raise to full. It just seems a ridiculous amount of time. If I could get them to last 24 hours with just the troughs I could drop it to 4 days which seems more reachable but I don’t think that’s possible? 

True, it is a ridiculous amount of time, but it's not something that WildCard is going to change.

You have options, you're going to have to pick what works best for you.

1) Don't breed.

2) Use crypods and accept that it's going to take longer.

3) Find a tribe to join so multiple people can all help with the work of farming/building/breeding/raising/etc.

4) Play solo

5) Find an Unofficial server that has settings you like.

6) Run your own dedicated server (either public or private) and put the settings to whatever you want.

Just in case this is coming across wrong, I'm not arguing with you nor am I trying to talk down to you, I agree with you. The time requirements for vanilla ARK on the Official servers (especially when you factor in the decay timers) are absurd if you want to do anything other than go to work and play ARK. It's a painful time sink that can be terrible for solo players or even for small tribes. You have to decide what your priorities are and what answer you want to choose to solve this problem for yourself.

4 hours ago, Andyk93 said:

yeah, this game is not kind to those who can't put in 12 hours a day.....I noticed the same issues with the baby yuties I was trying to raise. I kinda tried to cheese it like everyone else is suggesting with the feeding trough's, but I lost all of them except one overnight. The one with a food mutation survived the first night. x.x

What I have done on official is to use event times to get a bunch of babies to 10%, then just have lots of troughs stuffed with meat or berries, and leave out say two tames per trough overnight. I also like to shove a few stacks of food into their inventories as backup. If you time it right you can do their first imprint before going to bed, then do the next imprint right when you get up 8 hours later; cryopod them before work, then repeat next evening when you can play. Bit of a pain, and you have to spend a bit of time each night on meat runs, but it will get you bosses rexes in like 10 days.  

Also, Genesis 2 has introduced some stuff that will make baby raising easier - the incubator means no more having to remember when an egg hatches, and the Maewing & its bountiful teats acts like a trough for under 10% babies. 

Archived