WildCard totally destroyed ark survival

21 hours ago, Vit0Corleone said:

So when you first saw Ark years ago when it was just the Island with obelisks, a survival game with dinos, you immediately thought "soon we will be be power rangers with jetpacks and flying space ships shooting lasers guns".

Yea, right.. :P

I can't speak for anyone else but yes, that's pretty much what I thought.

I was told it was a dino game by friends who convinced me to buy it and play it with them, but the very first time I ever woke up on a beach, saw the implant on my arm, looked up and saw an obelisk and a supply drop and said out loud, "Oh, this is a science fiction game, not just a dino game. I wonder what cool sci-fi stuff we're going to end up with before the game is done."

Frankly, anyone who didn't immediately understand that "implant + obelistk + supply drop = science fiction" was being completely clueless.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Pipinghot said:

Frankly, anyone who didn't immediately understand that "implant + obelistk + supply drop = science fiction" was being completely clueless.

Like I said on a previous comment, being sci-fi isn't really the issue.

You could tell from the start that the setup is basically enclosed artificial "arks" created and controlled by some alien intelligence. This is fairly obvious early on when you start playing.

But you don't just go from that to obviously we will become power rangers with jetpacks, flying space ships shooting lasers guns, and buying good from a virtual AI with points we get from doing "missions" that have nothing to do with "survival". If you managed to predict all that, kudos to you. I surely did not.

I love the new environments and all the new gadgets, but I do think we should have a tek suit that is not operational. A tek suit that only has fall protection at max. That way it matches the story and it not overpowered. Being able to fly punch speed run may seem fun at first, but give it a couple hours and you'll have a different taste for the game. I am running a server that takes it off on spawn in. This saved my experience, but to make the story more believable if they were to just have a busted tek suit thats more for looks at the start it would be for the best.

Well Zayisha the difference is i cant jet pack to safety every time something happens. I have to tame dinos before i can fly. You get a great sense of satisfaction when your dino is tamed up and you do the exploration. Taking the sense of danger away just kills it for me. Dont get me wrong i love the tek suits, but i would like to have that be a reward for working up to that point in the game, but if thats what you like dont let anyone take it away from yah :). Everyone should be happy:).

1 minute ago, BiggLazzy said:

Well Zayisha the difference is i cant jet pack to safety every time something happens. I have to tame dinos before i can fly. You get a great sense of satisfaction when your dino is tamed up and you do the exploration. Taking the sense of danger away just kills it for me. Dont get me wrong i love the tek suits, but i would like to have that be a reward for working up to that point in the game, but if thats what you like dont let anyone take it away from yah :). Everyone should be happy:).

I agree with you.
I just prefer .ini Options over a forced way to play (especially in "Sandbox" Games).

Official is another Story. But since you are always have the Option to run your own Server, there is no need to complain about Wildcards Rules on THEIR Servers.

The latest Patch just forced that change down the throat to everyone (even private Servers). That's the point where it is not ok for me personally.

And for the poeple that like to play different (and having their own server), WC could give even more Options, for my Taste.
Like enabling/disabling certain features of the TEK Suit induvidually. Wanna disable the Punch and the fly mode but keep the sprint? Go ahead, do it (in your config file).

5 minutes ago, BiggLazzy said:

The only problem I see with the current setup is. I believe that many will burn out much faster in official. Which I also play, but everything you say is sound. I think a compromise would be to have a broken tek suit that you maybe have to repair to get all the benefits. 

I don't really care what's going on on official Servers.

But as bystander, sounds like a stable Idea to me.

Edit: and taking into account how that tentacle tossed you around in the intro vid, that would also make sense.

1 hour ago, Vit0Corleone said:

Like I said on a previous comment, being sci-fi isn't really the issue.

Yeah, it really is. The instant a game has a sci-fi setting it's inevitable that there will be pew-pew lasers involved eventually. It may be sooner, it may be later, but with (extremely) rare exceptions "sci-fi = tek".

You could tell from the start that the setup is basically enclosed artificial "arks" created and controlled by some alien intelligence. This is fairly obvious early on when you start playing.

Which, again, means that someone has high-tech weaponry & equipment, even if it's not your character. It also means that there's a 99%+ certainty that the end-goal of everyone's character is to progress towards advanced technology. Anyone who thought they were playing The Land that Time Forgot or Land of the Lost was missing very large and painfully obvious context clues.

For what it's worth, I understand and sympathize with people who were in denial, who didn't want to see that as the end-game even though it was obvious. Personally, I enjoy the game more before having tek equipment because it makes the PvE elements of the game far too easy. I don't dislike the tek level for story reasons, I dislike it for game play reasons, but regardless of my reasons I'm not silly enough to think that the story ever had any conclusion other than advanced technology.

Heck, in the playthrough I'm doing with a group of friends on our private server we start each new map with fresh Lvl 1 characters because we want to experience each new map on its own terms. We don't want to be OP and skip over getting involved with the unique flavor of each map, which is easy to do when you enter a map with high level characters with advanced equipment. That's actually part of the reason we started a private server, so we could play on our own terms, to experience the maps and the story of playing through ARK in a way that satisfied ourselves. We get to the tek level right about the time we're done with a map, only leveraging a few limited tek items (like tek storage) before we do the boss fights. Then it's back to Lvl 1, harvesting by hand and taming new dino's on a new map.

But that understanding and sympathy doesn't extend to people who want to the Official servers to conform to their personal preferences. Individual players don't get to expect the story in the next expansion of WoW, or Rift, or any other RPG to be tailored to their personal preferences and they don't get to expect it here. I understand why some people wanted the game to stay primitive, or at least not extend to the tek level, but at the same time it's incumbent on players to be aware of the game environment they're playing in and to see the writing on the obelisk.

But you don't just go from that to obviously we will become power rangers with jetpacks, flying space ships shooting lasers guns

Yes. Yes you do, that's how sci-fi works.

Anyone who didn't see that coming has only themselves to blame. They were either being oblivious or willfully living in denial of the obvious direction the story would move.

and buying good from a virtual AI with points we get from doing "missions" that have nothing to do with "survival".

In the interest of an open discussion, I hope it's obvious that I never predicted specific game mechanics like this. I was even surprised when they altered the mechanics of supply drops on Extinction and I certainly had no idea that they would add the mission-type mechanics in Genesys. I'm not omniscient, just have good situational awareness.

Also, this is a good time to say that I don't expect anyone to necessarily like the specific game mechanics, just like I don't expect people to necessarily like the game mechanics of any other aspect of the game. People have every right to dislike how long it takes to do anything, dislike passive tames, dislike having to gather poop & eggs by hand, dislike having to fly around and compete with other people for supply drops, dislike the building mechanics, dislike... obviously this could go on all day. The point is you have every right to dislike the specific mechanics of how they've implemented the mission system, but respecting the right to dislike specific game mechanics is not the same thing as supporting complaints about the mere fact of the tek tier existing.

If I play a game with hobbits and elves then I assume there's going to be magic involved.

If I play a game with implants, obelisks and supply drops then I assume that eventually there are going to be pew-pew lasers involved. Simple as that.

If you managed to predict all that, kudos to you. I surely did not.

You should go back to page 1 of this discussion and scroll down to the post by Martellus. Even without playing the video, even if all you do is look at that cover picture, it's blatantly obvious that this is the announcement for a sci-fi game, which should have raised a big red flag that said, "Higher technology is inevitable."

As I say, I honestly do have some sympathy with people who didn't want the game to advance into higher technology, but it was either oblivious or perhaps being in denial that it was going to happen regardless of what they wanted.

4 hours ago, Pipinghot said:

I don't dislike the tek level for story reasons, I dislike it for game play reasons

Exactly. This is the whole point.

it's not about the story nor about the sci-fi setting. The story is actually pretty decent.

It's about the game play elements that Tek and HLNA store and missions introduce that completely change how we play the game, by making things too easy, by removing any sense of danger, risk vs. reward approach, struggle to survive and the joys of exploration.

On 6/8/2021 at 2:28 PM, Vit0Corleone said:

Yes, there are.

Your comment represents very well the current state.

Previously, Ark was all about survival with dinos. Now the dinos are .. just there 🙂

Sure, that is the setup. But it's a big stretch, for someone that starts playing Ark, imagining that you go from mysterious obelisks and implants to power rangers high tech fantasy.

As a friend said some time ago, in Ark we aren't the survivors, the Dinos are 😉

The appeal, for a lot of people, was immersing themselves on a dino survival game, which isn't what Ark has become.

But again, there is no right or wrong here, it's a matter of taste and what people enjoy or not.

Not a stretch, it was a fantasy game from the start lol.

Love the entitlement of opinion here. My opinion is based on factual statements and experience (played since day 1) - yours is based off your feelings on how **you** feel the game should be. Obviously not intended by the devs.

6 hours ago, d1nk said:

Love the entitlement of opinion here. My opinion is based on factual statements and experience (played since day 1) - yours is based off your feelings on how **you** feel the game should be. Obviously not intended by the devs.

I don't understand what are you talking about.

You make it sound like it's a bad thing to have a opinion. I do believe I'm entitled to have an opinion, what's wrong with that?

My opinion is that I'm not a huge fan of the direction the game took when it comes to steering off the exploration survival genre by introducing game play mechanics that have nothing to do with the reason why I fell in love with the game.

16 hours ago, Vit0Corleone said:

Exactly. This is the whole point.

it's not about the story nor about the sci-fi setting.

Your own posts contradict that claim.

If you really believe this then you've been framing your replies poorly, you've spent a lot of time complaining about "high-tech power rangers" rather than simply saying that Gen2 is too easy.

When you made comments like, "Ark was all about survival with dinos" and "it's a big stretch, for someone that starts playing Ark, imagining that you go from mysterious obelisks and implants to power rangers high tech fantasy" you sent a powerful message that your complaints are also 'about the story and the sci-fi setting'.

You also said, "So when you first saw Ark years ago when it was just the Island with obelisks, a survival game with dinos, you immediately thought "soon we will be be power rangers with jetpacks and flying space ships shooting lasers guns". " There's no question in the mind of anyone reading your posts that you do, in the end, object to fact that the sci-fi setting has lead to a sci-fi conclusion.

The story is actually pretty decent.

Not even close. The only thing that's remotely "recent" is that when they released Extinction they made the specific decision that the history of the ARK was caused/created by humans rather than aliens. Other than that specific detail none of it is recent. Up until Extinction the great majority of players collectively assumed that what would eventually be revealed was that the ARKs were created by aliens either as some sort of zoo or as a tool to somehow restore humanity & earth.

From the very beginning of the game players have known that the ARKs were artificial, that they were sci-fi, that they were high tek. What players didn't know were the specifics of how the game was going to develop story-wise, the questions about who created the ARK or why, but the basic concept of the ARK story as fundamentally being sci-fi was well known from the very beginning. Claiming that any of this is somehow "recent" is pure fiction, either based on lack of awareness or being in denial of the inevitable conclusion of a sci-fi based game.

If you were living in willful denial because you wanted it to be a more primitive game then I feel sympathy for your desires, since there simply weren't any good alternatives to ARK that were focused on being a straightforward dino game, but even offering you sympathy doesn't change the basic truth. ARK has always been a sci-fi game, there's nothing recent about it.

It's about the game play elements that Tek and HLNA store and missions introduce that completely change how we play the game, by making things too easy, by removing any sense of danger, risk vs. reward approach, struggle to survive and the joys of exploration.

Yeah, I get that. But I also get that there are solutions to that problem if you want to pursue them. Unofficial servers, private server, single-player, any of those are viable options if you want to do them. Just as long as you don't expect Official servers to change for your personal desires you still have options that will let you enjoy the game on your own terms.

7 minutes ago, Pipinghot said:

Your own posts contradict that claim.

No, they don't. For me, a sci-fi setting doesn't necessarily mean space ships pew pew lasers and missions with scores and AI shops.

I mean, seriously, think about how Ark felt like playing all the way from Island to Aberration ( and Extinction to some extent ), and then check this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7zYOmorfiw

This is not what I expected Ark to turn into, but alas here we are.

There's plenty of sci-fi games/movies/stories and whatnot where space ships, jetpacks and pew pew lasers aren't part of it. Are you going to say that they aren't sci-fi because they don't have those elements?

The assumption that sci-fi is only that, is pretty simplistic.

Ark2 still sits under the same story, with Santiago, with the same "aliens" and the same sci-fi background theme. But yet, accordingly to the devs it's meant to be more primivite-ish.

Should I then assume that you object to Ark2 because it's against your notion of sci-fi? Because if you hadn't know what the devs said, you would make the wrong prediction in this case. Or are you going to tell me that Ark2 is going to turn into space ship pew pew as well?

11 minutes ago, Pipinghot said:

you've spent a lot of time complaining about "high-tech power rangers" rather than simply saying that Gen2 is too easy.

Because the two are connected. It's the way that high tech gets introduced through its game play mechanics that make it too easy and outside of the survival genre. Maybe you missed my previous comment, so allow me to say it again:

It's about the game play elements that Tek and HLNA store and missions introduce that completely change how we play the game, by making things too easy, by removing any sense of danger, risk vs. reward approach, struggle to survive and the joys of exploration.

21 minutes ago, Pipinghot said:

Not even close. The only thing that's remotely "recent" is that

I think you miss read my comment. I said nothing about the story being recent. I said the story is decent. As in good.

27 minutes ago, Pipinghot said:

Yeah, I get that. But I also get that there are solutions to that problem if you want to pursue them. Unofficial servers, private server, single-player, any of those are viable options if you want to do them. Just as long as you don't expect Official servers to change for your personal desires you still have options that will let you enjoy the game on your own terms.

Yes, there are. And I'm still playing the game.

I'm not trying to force anything on others, I'm simply voicing my opinion. I don't see why is that so problematic.

A survival Sci-Fi game that includes Dinos (for unlogical reasons lorewise,RL for cash grab).

When i advertise my cabriolet as the "ultimative summer holiday" experience, that doesn't anything about summers or holidays (times in which you CAN use it) at all. After all i'm still selling a Car.

Anyways, quoting google is irrelevant. As google results are no refference or proof for facts or truth.
But if you still want to go the google way, here is my result for Studio Wildcard:

google.jpg

Archived