What are the real RAM requirements for the Gen2 map ?

I have a fresh Gen2 map, no players, Linux Steam 329.7s/329.9c, fresh start then idling for 20 minutes = 13.0G for just the RAM; 14.1G total as reported by HTOP.

No Players.

I need an idea of what this will require to run smooth for x players. Is there a formula ? I'm not crapping about the amount. I just I need to know what to budget for realistically and not shotgun it with 128G. I don't know about others but RAM is $$$ and FPS isn't the greatest running from swap.

... Oh ho ho, while typing this it crept up to 13.1G; memory leak or things still spawning ?

I'm going to log in one player and see what happens...nm connection time out and I see there is a v329.8s. Will see what happens after an update.

---

Updated to 329.8s. Fresh start, no players, 1 hr idle time, RAM still creeping up slowly, @ 14.0G RAM and 15.0 total for all 13 processes ShooterGameServer spawned.

(updated but the server selection screen indicates patch 327.9 and server build 327.7 still)

As an aside the lowest total RAM usage is Extinction @ 4.9G and 8.8G total with all the other processes it spawns. With the 6 main story maps running, load on a minimal Ubuntu Server that just runs the games, system RAM use is less than 300M, with all the servers running the load average is 5.9 - 6.3 with 8 available on this blade. The other maps are between 5-7G with Genesis having the next largest total @ 9.6G.

Still can't load a player in but it's late for me so just going to let this cook overnight and see where the RAM goes ;)

---

After 9 hours idling with no players, all the maps' RAM use has remained the same within a decimal point of a G, eg. Gen2 is still @ 14.0G RAM, 15.0G total. The load is still ~ 6.3 which makes me wonder what it is actually processing with no players and the map theoretically in stasis but results of a performance monitor on the CPU is for another post.

As another aside, the post below shows a windows system running the map ~ 2G less with several players so a technical curiosity (thanks for responding, btw). All 6 maps running with no players and ~ 300M used by the base system, the entire system is floating ~ 42 of 48G with 1.5M sitting in swap. 

I need to go resolve the connection timeout issue to see how much this jumps up with players. I'll run another update because the build is still showing 329.7 instead of .8

---

Just noting as of 2021-06-15 there seem to be some wild variations between Linux vs Windows RAM requirements of those replying. I'm wondering if any of those who posted replies with > 9G ever settled down to the <9G some are reporting. I'd expect it to go up with more players not down so... yeah, crazy numbers.

Gen2, started on release, 10 active players, 14.7 GB real memory, its so sad 😞

image.png.c310277c6dc80990bb4773a9f688ebe1.png

I cant give you a formular, but my experience after 2 years ARK hosting on Linux. I'm hosting 8 servers, here some ram diffs:

Ragnarok (since end of 2019)
RAM current 9,8-10,2GB (initial 6,6GB)

Fjördur (since may 2021)
RAM current 7,7-7,9GB (initial 5,3GB)

Initial means empty map, no players. Most maps, if you have good auto-decay settings get +3-4GB more RAM over the time)

Is your RAM usage still consistent? Mine was 12GB at one point, went down to 3GB, and now is back up to 12GB.

I can't figure out what makes it go up and down. We're a five-member tribe, and we haven't built much yet, so I can't see any reason for the big change.

On 6/6/2021 at 2:52 PM, SylenThunder said:

Ours ate up 12.5GB RAM on the first start. Left it up for an hour or so, and then restarted it a couple of times. After the second restart, it went down to normal.

All servers are mostly at idle right now because they just restarted a few minutes ago.

18 hours ago, zero064 said:

Is your RAM usage still consistent? Mine was 12GB at one point, went down to 3GB, and now is back up to 12GB.

I can't figure out what makes it go up and down. We're a five-member tribe, and we haven't built much yet, so I can't see any reason for the big change.

I haven't noticed any real fluctuation in it since. It's gone up to 6GB with several players on, but that's rare. Usually is closer to 3.5GB

I imagine the RAM usage will creep up over time the more data is added to the savegame.

I have seen on a new instance that Gen2 takes about 13 GB during the initial load on Windows and after a while, it settles down to about 4.3 GB but it can vary at any point.

Our Ragnarok savegame is about 1 GB in size on disk and when running, it takes 12 to 14 GB.

LHammonds

Archived