Ark 2 will be Primarily Primitive-themed

Joebl0w13

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the Tek, just don't like the lack of primitive items. Personally if they merged everything from Prim+ into Base game it would have been roughly what Id have wanted. Only Tek I really don't care for is the old clunky chest plate (visual hate only) and the building pieces. Besides that I actually enjoy a good bit of it. This being said I am eager to play Ark 2, also confident it will take up way more of my time than it probably sure. There will be a bunch of great things, bugs, frustrations, etc. But overall I think its something we will love.

Really hope it's just for a starter like with ark and they'll add it later on with patches.

I like the different stages we go through when leveling up a new char, from primitive, to more modern and then future sci-fi. With increased QOL along the way.
And just as today you should be able to disable the stuff you don't like on your server. So if you wanna stop at primitive then go and do that!

^^

Same. If there's nothing but stone age tools and wooden/stone structures I likely won't stick around for long. There needs to be power creep. I'd be fine if they held off a metal and tek tier for later DLCs, but if it's just gonna be wood for four years I will never have thousands of hours like i did with Ark. 

Then again, a lot of this depends on what the end game will be.

I will say the general UE5 engine preview looked pretty amazing, so if nothing else, it will probably look really cool.

I thought about it some more, and I guess I just wanna add that I think the two most important aspects of Ark are the freedom you have when building, which to me surpasses any other similar game, and the part with taming dinosaurs and riding them. Granted, there are tons of survival builder games I haven't tried yet, but from what I've seen or read about in reviews/YT videos, it seems to me like WC really nailed.... something about their building system. Not to say that it isn't also very frustrating in some ways, there's just something about the way you can construct bases that really seems to hit home with a lot of people. And then the ability to tame and breed dinos that you can use as mounts and the amount of different dinos you can use just makes it feel like a huge open sandbox.

So even if they did decide to keep Ark 2 mostly primal, even through all of its DLCs, I think there are some ways it could work. If they stick with primitive building tiers but manage to expand upon the freedom their current system already provides, that could maybe balance out the lack of higher building tiers. Imagine if you not only had triangle and square foundations, but just a lot more "basic" building blocks that let you design a lot more visually interesting constructions. The lack of higher tier weapons/tools/crafting stations could be balanced out simply by finer tuned resource costs for items. Imagine that you get a high quality blueprint for a regular bow and that they change the way a bow works so it lets you shoot a little faster, and somehow make its damage output so that it would be a viable end-game weapon. Then I guess you no longer need shotguns and laser rifles. They could switch the game up and make it so that dinos matter a little less, and player choice matters a little more, so that you could more easily take down a T-rex on foot while also making it so that riding one doesn't make you a literal god, then that could also alleviate the need for so many tiers of weapons. Then they could make it so mutations add more power than they currently do, which would give great incentive to tame and breed dinos. Additionally, they could balance the cost of crafting items so that you no longer need 40,000 metal for an ascendant saddle. That would alleviate the need for industrial forges. They could make the primitive crafting stations craft stuff like arrows a lot faster, so you wouldn't need a tek replicator for mass producing stuff. And then finally, imagine if there were more boss encounters and instanced group oriented end-game play. Imagine if Ark 2 had dungeons and raids in varying difficulties that played out something like MMORPG PvE fights. If they manage to make some really compelling end-game play, I could get down with that.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, there are ways they could make primitive gameplay a lot more engaging than it is in current Ark. I still hope they do some tek stuff down the road though. To me, the mix of sci-fi/primitive/dinos is what makes Ark so compelling in the first place. It ticks a lot of boxes on my nerd wishlist. I mean come on, it even has Dragons. All it's missing are wizards.

Saying it's going to be "more primitive" doesn't really tell us much, and saying "no Tek" might appease the crowd that hates it but doesn't really confirm that they understand what went wrong with it and how they're going to avoid repeating it. If you want a thousand-hour game, there will have to be SOME kind of progression or constant goal to be working towards. Worst-case scenario is they're convinced we want to do endless missions as the treadmill activity and rewards are locked behind it, as we saw start to creep into Gen1 and now Gen2, where core ARK activities - taming - are locked behind missions - hard requirement for the Stryders.

And at the same time, "there's no Tek it's all primitive :D" and then still having a progression, or gear, or taming, or other system that still results in a huge power gap between new players and 1000-hour players will - guess what - result in exactly everything you hate being the same as with Tek, just with less shiny scifi armor and pewpew.

Sooooo TL;DR we need a crapton more info before we can even wildly speculate on anything, lol.

"Tek" as in the engrams? I'd be totally fine with removing.
Though removing 'ALL' of the sci-fi aspect of ARK? raptor no.

ARK has always had sci-fi elements to it. And always should be.
And "Primitive only" can only be fun for a certain amount of time.
If it's literally "Primitive only" then i don't see the game doing well. Since this would include all of our industrial stuff. I.E, the Industrial forge.
I support Wildcard and all. But Jesus. Please don't take the "No tek in ARK" to the extreme and remove 'all' aspects of the game that made in unique from any other survival dinosaur game.

I guess the best way for me to iterate a bit further on my personal desire is to state that as a game I always enjoyed Prim+ more than base Ark when it came to things like crafting, you had to gather hide and tan it into leather to then use the leather to further craft as opposed to just hide. This aspect of Prim+ as well as the in depth crafting of food and other styles like lumber and brick really add to the overall look and feel and offer diverse builds. I have always felt like Ark lacked in the primitive weaponry and clothing, I wouldn't mind a larger variety of Axes (Such as Battle-axe, bearded axe, Great Axe), swords (Longsword, Claymore, Broadsword, etc.), bows (Such as short bow, compound bow, recurve bow, long bow). I still stand by my statement that I would like tek to some extent, I never build out of tek really in ark, but I do use transmitters, teleporters, etc. I love the federation exo suits, I usually stay away from most tek weaponry until genesis... I love almost all the recent tek added. Overall the trailer looked amazing and I wouldn't mind takes on weapons similar to Santiago's two makeshift weapons, they look awesome. I am enthusiastic and hope we get a really good game with Ark 2, Ark has been a love hate relationship for a lot of us but were still here, there was enough that despite the frustration we still came back time and time again, and giving credit where due, the state of the game is loads better than it was when I started (Around Scorched Earth before Aberration was announced).

It won't stay primitive (or if, they lose a ton of money).

There are some people that can be satisfied easy. Food, Sleep, a rough Shelter.
But when basic needs are taken care of, you always have those kind of people who are the seed of civilization.
"Make things better, less physical demanding and more efficient". They wouldn't stay in "Stoneage".

Edit:
With Santiago shutting down the last remains of technology, maybe because he want's to stay in primitive for some reason, i can see him becomming the antagonist in the next expansion (of ARK 2).

On 6/11/2021 at 11:44 AM, Connergrey08 said:

I support Wildcard and all. But Jesus. Please don't take the "No tek in ARK" to the extreme and remove 'all' aspects of the game that made in unique from any other survival dinosaur game.

You write like there are dozens of dinosaur survival games with no modern/futuristic elements. Which games exactly are those? All the popular survival games have a different theme. The only game that comes close is The Isle, I haven't played it, but there you play as a dino, and just run around PvPing with other players, so very different from Ark - no base building/taming etc. Also it's been in early access for 5.5 years, development seems to be slow, and there's some modern architecture in the game too, from what I saw. I found a few other dino games on steam, but they all have modern weapons/technology - like Primal Carnage. Maybe there are such games, but they are very obscure/bad/unfinished/abandoned.

And obviously there will be an industrial forge or something similar in Ark 2. There is such an item in Primitive Plus after all.

17 hours ago, XxxGodzxxX said:

I think at first ark 2 will have alot of players (for like 2 months ) then I think it will tank because of peoples lack of interest in it . and it will reside with Atlas in the closet  lol

Depends on how fleshed out it'll be.

A lot of people will probably be disappointed that it's not as big as ARK when it comes to dinos, gears, buildings etc. So yeah, a big first wave and then some will return to ARK until ARK 2 has gotten it's fair share of patches and expansions to bring it up to about the same level as ARK.

Even if we ignore the primitive level of gear and buildings limit I don't see ARK 2 being released with the same amount of dinos as ARK has.
And truth be told for me that was the "Golden Age" of ARK, when they released a new dino every month or so, you'd get the trailer about it and then set out to hunt it and tame it. So if they do the same with ARK 2 then I can see it working out well.

Well since it will be primitive themed there will be other aspects of the game which would keep us interested in game for a long time. They cant just remove Tek without adding anything in return, just this time it will be different goals and im very exited to see what will that be. What im hoping for is that all dinosaur part such as taming, breeding will still remain and improve without  much of a change from what we currently have. 

I actually think that Ark 2 is meant to replace Ark 1, and will be a very similar game, a sort of a glorified DLC. And I'm perfectly OK with this. I believe that we will have something similar to X- and R- dinos - mostly recolors, but exactly the same dinos from Ark 1. Maybe some will get a TLC - better models/textures, added/changed abilities, maybe a few new dinos, but mostly we'll get a similar experience to Ark 1.

Well personaly i enjoied the progression from primitiv over modern to scifi. I also always enjoyed building and never understood why the default builing parts didint fit to each others. I remember cables and Pipes which where longer than a wall height so cabeling and pinping was a nightmare. Thats one eason i never played on official servers and only on modded ones (Structures Plus, OzO Craft, Ecos Mods) Without the amazing work of the modders i wouldnt have 300+ hours in Ark tbh. 

I dont think i will play ark II if there will be only a Primitive Tier and nothing more. The current solution in Ark  is a good one, People who dont like the high tech tier can play the primitiv total conversion or just disable the engrams the dont like. So everyone can decide for him/herself. 
But well, we will see.

Although we have very little information as of now to properly make a judgement in that regard, I wouldn't mind if the game is 100% primitive.
There are plenty of ways to make a primitive gameplay more compelling without falling in the classic resource grind.

Let's take tools for example. We could see different materials, increasingly harder to get, but also better overall as you progress.
- Stone
- Copper/Bronze
- Iron
- Steel

Taking inspiration on the tier system seen in Primal Fear, it would be quite easy to implement it, so that you can't skip to the best quality tools immediately.
Besides, adding coal to force players to refine iron into steel (as in prim +) would be a good idea and justify the efforts in acquiring the tools as you could farm anything thereafter.

Aditionally, they could add different qualities, starting from "crude" -> "rough" -> "refined" -> "pristine".
- Crude tools would basicaly be made like our ancestors did by smacking rocks together in order to chip them.
- Rough tools would be built by grinding the components together with water (thus requiring containers) in order to shape/polish them.
- Refined tools would imply hammering down metal to shape, thus requiring primitive tools.
- Prisitine tools would require more advanced tools and even a proper smelter in order to achieve better quality of the required components.

Anyways, those are just some random ideas, but it clearly shows that with a bit of imagination, a more primitive gameplay is possible.

Archived