Dedicated Server cannot start because of Fatal Error after updating to v329.7

I keep running ARK dedicated server recently. It works fine until updated to the version of Genesis 2(327.21 to 329.7). Every time I start my server now, it will get the same Fatal Error result in around 10 seconds. The crash report is attached to this post. Here below is the log of the server:

[2021.06.05-13.07.15:403][  0]Log file open, 06/05/21 21:07:15
[2021.06.05-13.07.15:403][  0]LogMemory: Platform Memory Stats for WindowsServer
[2021.06.05-13.07.15:403][  0]LogMemory: Process Physical Memory: 81.38 MB used, 81.38 MB peak
[2021.06.05-13.07.15:404][  0]LogMemory: Process Virtual Memory: 50.52 MB used, 50.65 MB peak
[2021.06.05-13.07.15:404][  0]LogMemory: Physical Memory: 12854.46 MB used, 32679.49 MB total
[2021.06.05-13.07.15:404][  0]LogMemory: Virtual Memory: 4475.14 MB used, 134217728.00 MB total
[2021.06.05-13.07.15:799][  0]ARK Version: 314.9
[2021.06.05-13.07.15:799][  0]PID: 1748
[2021.06.05-13.07.46:643][  0]LogMemory: Platform Memory Stats for WindowsServer
[2021.06.05-13.07.46:643][  0]LogMemory: Process Physical Memory: 396.98 MB used, 423.98 MB peak
[2021.06.05-13.07.46:644][  0]LogMemory: Process Virtual Memory: 716.10 MB used, 716.27 MB peak
[2021.06.05-13.07.46:644][  0]LogMemory: Physical Memory: 13201.58 MB used, 32679.49 MB total
[2021.06.05-13.07.46:644][  0]LogMemory: Virtual Memory: 5237.95 MB used, 134217728.00 MB total
[2021.06.05-13.07.49:776][  0] - FPlatformMisc::RequestExit(1)
[2021.06.05-13.07.49:776][  0]Log file closed, 06/05/21 21:07:49

As shown above, I don't know why the 'ARK version' is 314.9. It became this after my ARK update. Previously, the 'ARK version' it showed is just the correct ARK version at that time.

I tried to verify the game files of my ARK in steam as well as reinstalling the whole ARK, but this error still here and it is the same every time.

Also, no matter which map I use, it gives the same error and same 'ARK version', 314.9..

In addition, my friend also have this problem after the update, and the crash log is very similar as mine as well.

06.05-21.07.49.crashstack

10 hours ago, Larkfields said:

You need to verify the files on your server.

Stop Ark on your server, then...
steamcmd.exe +login anonymous +force_install_dir "\ArkServer\ShooterGame" +app_update 376030 validate +quit

If you're using ASM, I think that has its own way to validate the installation.

Thanks for providing the solution.

I downloaded steamcmd.exe on the internet and extracted it to the path "C:\SteamCMD". But when I run the command 'app_update 376030 validate', it reports an ERROR 'Failed to install app '376030' (Disk write failure)'.
Same error occur even with administrator rights. Where should I place the steamcmd.exe, or any other things should I do to solve this problem?

P.S., I start my server with the client of ARK: "HOST\LOCAL" → "RUN DEDICATED SERVER"

I'm having exactly the same problem as described by @Gordon0907.  Starting via "HOST\LOCAL" → "RUN DEDICATED SERVER", getting the same error and seeing the wrong version of 314.9.  Then trying the command @Larkfields suggested tries to update files but ends in that same disk write failure error.  My disk is definitely not full or anything though.  Got 100GB of space and it's working fine.   Tried it in admin mode as well and no dice.   This all started with the update a few days ago.

Here are the steps you need to perform with the most-likely causes 1st:

#1 - Ark Server needs to be offline (not running) when you perform an update.

#2 - Make sure the disk is not full (including the location where TEMP files are written)

#3 - Look at the actual "version.txt" file where Ark is installed to get the real version number downloaded from Steam.

#4 - Make sure the account that runs the SteamCMD has full write access to all files/sub-folders where Ark is installed.

#5 - Check your disk for errors / failures.

NOTE: If using Ark Server Manager, the release notes for version 1.1.396.1 mentions a check against the "version.txt" file.

I have solved the problem with the solution provided by @Larkfields, thanks.

Seems I misunderstand the meaning of the method at first. I thought it will validate the ARK server files in the Steam path "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\ARK\ShooterGame". But actually the command mentioned in the reply quoted below is another way to host a dedicated server, which can be found on https://ark.fandom.com/wiki/Dedicated_server_setup.

21 hours ago, Larkfields said:

You need to verify the files on your server.

Stop Ark on your server, then...
steamcmd.exe +login anonymous +force_install_dir "\ArkServer\ShooterGame" +app_update 376030 validate +quit

If you're using ASM, I think that has its own way to validate the installation.

Note: you may try to change the path of the command force_install_dir to an absolute file path(e.g. "C:\ArkServer") if disk write failure error occur.

This solution cannot fix the problem of wrong server version when we start a dedicated server in-game, but it will download a whole new server to the assigned path for you to host. References may be taken from the URL of ARK wiki above for more detail.

"wrong server version" might be caused when the client's "major" version is different to the server's "major" version.

For example, if the server is on version 329.8, then the client must be on version 328.x.
A client on version 329.8 cannot join a server on version 314.9 because the "major" version number differs between client and server.

Follow LHammand's list, then follow up with a virus scan.

That's an unusual stack trace for Ark, which suggests that either your game installation is corrupt or your HD/SSD is corrupt.  

I would also suggest you open a CMD prompt "as administrator" and run a scan on your OS...
sfc /scannow

These cases can be difficult to diagnose remotely 😞

Yeah, same for me.  The reason I was getting those disk write errors was just because the path given to steamcmd was wrong.  Using this command works, in the sense that steamcmd runs without error and downloads a new copy of the server:

steamcmd.exe +login anonymous +force_install_dir "c:\temp\ArkServer\ShooterGame" +app_update 376030 validate +quit

However, the versions of everything I have installed are still not right.  So in particular, all the version.txt files I have don't agree.  c:\temp\ArkServer\ShooterGame\version.txt says 329.14.   C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\ARK Survival Evolved Dedicated Server\version.txt is also 329.14.

However, C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\ARK\version.txt is 329.9.  That's the actual game's install folder.  And it refuses to see the server, presumably because the version's don't match?  But I don't see any new game version on steam to update to.

That stack trace @cutter0000 posted is also exactly what happens when I try to run the dedicated server via the in game launch button.  Which started as a result of the recent update.

The current client and server have different "minor" version numbers.  That's ok.
The both have a "major" version number of 329, which is correct.  They need to be the same for the client to connect to the server.

The dedicated server needs to be run from the command line - it can't be launched from the client.
https://ark.fandom.com/wiki/Dedicated_server_setup

I have the exact same stack trace coming up on my ARK Dedicated Server that @cutter0000 and @davis685 have mentioned.  The thing I find very odd is that in the stack trace it says it is version 314.9, I'm assuming that is the version of ShooterGameServer.exe since that is the executable used to start the dedicated server instance.  I cannot find any version.txt files that have 314.9, the only version.txt I have is in my install location (steamcmd force_install_dir location) and it is 329.9.  I'm wondering if the devs failed to bump an internal version variable or something in the source to ShooterGameServer.exe and that is causing version mis-alignment and this stack trace to show up.

Attachment "ShooterGame.log" contains what shows up on my windows CMD prompt when I run my known working .bat file to launch the dedicated server.

Attachment "06.07-08.08.11.crashstack" is what shows up in the crash window that appears (the same as what @cutter0000 showed earlier)

FYI, these 2 files were in my <install_dir>\ShooterGame\Saved\Logs folder.

ShooterGame.log 06.07-08.08.11.crashstack

Ok, I dug through some Steam forum posts about this too.  Sounds like the steamCMD update process is not getting the correct ShooterGameServer.exe file from the download servers (or rather the one on the download servers is wrong).  Read this https://steamcommunity.com/app/346110/discussions/9/3114782328003797737/, you need to login to view that page or find it in the Steam client (Subject: Servers showing as 314.9 after patch Non BE).

So it sounds if you download the ARK Dedicated Server package (App ID: 376030) then update the ShooterGameServer.exe in you ark install location (steamCMD force_install_dir location) the problem will be fixed.

I am testing this out now, currently waiting for App ID: 376030 to finish downloading.  I will report back with success/failure.

What I mentioned in my last post...

54 minutes ago, Eitd said:

So it sounds if you download the ARK Dedicated Server package (App ID: 376030) then update the ShooterGameServer.exe in you ark install location (steamCMD force_install_dir location) the problem will be fixed.

... worked for me.  I used steamCMD to install ARK Dedicated Server package (App ID: 376030) on my server PC (different location than my App ID: 346110), then I copied the ShooterGameServer.exe fil from my ARK Dedicated Server download to my regular <intall_dir>\ShooterGame\Binaries\Win64 directory.  Server booted and I am able to connect.

I'm thinking I will update my setup to launch my Dedicated Server from the App ID: 376030 files to avoid this in the future.  I would suggest others to do the same.

Hope this helps.

15 hours ago, Eitd said:

... worked for me.  I used steamCMD to install ARK Dedicated Server package (App ID: 376030) on my server PC (different location than my App ID: 346110), then I copied the ShooterGameServer.exe fil from my ARK Dedicated Server download to my regular <intall_dir>\ShooterGame\Binaries\Win64 directory.  Server booted and I am able to connect.

I'm thinking I will update my setup to launch my Dedicated Server from the App ID: 376030 files to avoid this in the future.  I would suggest others to do the same.

Hope this helps.

Sweet, I did that and it worked for me as well. Thanks :)

On 6/7/2021 at 2:17 PM, Eitd said:

Hope this helps.

This worked for me as well. For more clarity;

\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\ARK\ShooterGame\Binaries\Win64\shootergameserver.exe is trash and if you want to run the server from this directory you need to copy \SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\ARK Survival Evolved Dedicated Server\ShooterGame\Binaries\Win64\shootergameserver.exe back into your regular ark game directory, otherwise you can just copy your config files over to the dedicated server directory and just start running from there.

Archived