Rockwell on Unofficial

MegaGoat

So, my friends and I started a dedicated server on ARK. We have played for a couple years and we have never done Rockwell before, so we wanted to try to beat him. Because I knew that I would need to practice fighting him, I backed up our current world, and began a new one where I would cheat in the items we'd need to fight him.

Though we only had 2/5 of the players in our tribe online, we figured that we might just be able to complete him on Beta, if not Gamma.

We failed on both.

We had the following:

Fifteen Megalosauruses, 15k health with ~1080% melee damage, and normal saddles (please tell me if we need better saddles, I assume yes)

One Rock Drake per person, each with 15k health and 3k stamina

Light Pets

Pump Shotguns that have approximately 300% weapon damage

About 750 bullets each person

100 med brews, food, and water

Two sets of flak armor

We actually did very well throughout the fight UNTIL we got to the part where he began to summon Nameless. The Nameless themselves are not too difficult to deal with, cloaking with the Drakes actually does prevent some of them from coming to you, though they are still annoying to deal with. What ended up being our undoing was the relentless amount of Nameless and Reapers that began to spawn. The Reapers did a lot of damage to our Drakes.

Second, the small plasma-like balls that he throws at you are kind of annoying. They do a ridiculous amount of damage to your armor and your character, as well. If you don't have armor on, those will kill you off of your Drake. I think this is solvable by bringing more armor sets, and I have seen that some people used Assault Rifles to shoot the plasma balls instead of the shotgun because it has a lot more rounds per magazine.

Any suggestions?

2 hours ago, MegaGoat said:

Any suggestions?

We had a tribe of 7 doing him on our unofficial server and also found it difficult. After watching some videos, including people who had done it on Official servers, we ended up just going in on foot with shotguns which turned out to be much easier than doing it with dino's. It was easier to keep the plasma balls from becoming a problem and it's not like taking dino's makes it any faster or easier to kill the heart for each wave.

If you do it enough times you'll notice that the amount of damage for each wave is fixed, the first wave the heart goes down by about 40% but the second wave is much less and ends rather quickly. We killed him a total of 7 times and regardless of whether he was gamma, beta or alpha the amount of heart-health he loses is the same amount for every difficulty. E.g. the first wave always ends after about 40% damage, and so on. No matter how well you do, no matter how powerful your dino's or shotguns are, it's going to take the same number of waves to beat him.

We beat him on gamma with dino's, but beta and alpha we just found to be much more do-able on foot with shotguns. Personally, I think that's a flaw with the fight, but I've learned that it has become a popular method on Official servers too so we just finished him and moved on.

If you really want to do it with dino's then better saddles for the megalosaurus is pretty much the only thing I think you need. As long as the people riding rock drakes can avoid getting shocked you should be able to do it, but it will definitely be harder.

2 hours ago, Pipinghot said:

We had a tribe of 7 doing him on our unofficial server and also found it difficult. After watching some videos, including people who had done it on Official servers, we ended up just going in on foot with shotguns which turned out to be much easier than doing it with dino's. It was easier to keep the plasma balls from becoming a problem and it's not like taking dino's makes it any faster or easier to kill the heart for each wave.

If you do it enough times you'll notice that the amount of damage for each wave is fixed, the first wave the heart goes down by about 40% but the second wave is much less and ends rather quickly. We killed him a total of 7 times and regardless of whether he was gamma, beta or alpha the amount of heart-health he loses is the same amount for every difficulty. E.g. the first wave always ends after about 40% damage, and so on. No matter how well you do, no matter how powerful your dino's or shotguns are, it's going to take the same number of waves to beat him.

We beat him on gamma with dino's, but beta and alpha we just found to be much more do-able on foot with shotguns. Personally, I think that's a flaw with the fight, but I've learned that it has become a popular method on Official servers too so we just finished him and moved on.

If you really want to do it with dino's then better saddles for the megalosaurus is pretty much the only thing I think you need. As long as the people riding rock drakes can avoid getting shocked you should be able to do it, but it will definitely be harder.

So, the ARK Wiki has the following blurb about using people on foot:

To clarify, you guys completed the boss fight on Beta and Alpha without any dinosaurs whatsoever? How many Cactus Broths did it take, and what else did you bring?

Edit: I just tested the shotgun strategy on Gamma on my test world. DAMN did it work. Flawless strategy. I would imagine this would definitely work on Beta and Alpha.

Capture.PNG

I've been playing story mode last few months and solo'd him on Alpha to progress to Ext last week. Playing on my own dedicated, not SP easy mode settings

Firstly, I didnt bring light pets, they are a waste of a slot and I ignore nameless and reapers in any case so no point bringing them.

I also hardly used my shotgun, that strat is good for sub alpha or for a large tribe (which makes every boss easy) but playing solo the reapers and nameless focus you, you dont have time to pump 10 shotgun rounds into a Alpha tentacle with 6 repears chasing you. You use your shotgun a lot more in gamma / beta when 6 rounds can kill a tenticle.

My strat for Alpha. One rock drake that I ride, all points in HP. 19 megalo, 20K HP, 900dmg, 90+ armor saddles depending on crafting skill. The megalo's are split into two teams. I spawn into the arena, team A I whistle to follow me and I lead them down to rockwells face, whistle stay put. Go back, team B, all follow me. I then go around the arena with team B in tow, whistle for them to attack each tenticle, I support with shotgun. Once the last tentcile is being attacked I glide over to rockwells face where team A awaits, as soon a tentcile down I whistle attack that ugly mug and then I go back to team B. Rinse and Repeat.

Nameless are no danger and can be ignored. Once the reapers come out you have little time to shoot tenticles and therefore my movement is whistle attack tenticle and then I kite the reapers in the opposite direction and then glide back once the tenticle is down and whistle the team to follow me and attack next tenticle so reaper stage is pretty much just kiting while your megalo kill the tenticles.

If you need to stop for stam or electrical field, take out an assault rifle and shoot orbs, you should never be stood still other than that therefore orbs should never hit you or be a problem.

I lost 1 megalo on Alpha with this strat and those dino stats

Just do it on foot, using dinos turns it into a s**tshow, make sure everyone uses cactus broth and doesn't let the buff run out, all you'll have to worry about is a few balls and dodging the reapers, if there's 5 of you with good shotguns you'll do it easy, 1 stays at the back of the arena, 2 at the front near Rockwell and the other 2 running around the sides

On 6/5/2021 at 12:15 AM, MegaGoat said:

To clarify, you guys completed the boss fight on Beta and Alpha without any dinosaurs whatsoever?

Yes, with the exception of shoulder pets. We took charge pets on our shoulders (as noted in the wiki section you quoted) just in case we accidentally aggro's reapers and/or nameless. This turned out to be important as we did end up needing to kill 3-4 reapers each time we did the fight.

How many Cactus Broths did it take, and what else did you bring?

Each person brought 10 just out of habit but I can't tell you how many we actually used. We typically make plenty of buffing food so no one ever pays close attention to how much we'll need. Just look at the timer on the cactus broth and assume you need at least that many.

Edit: I just tested the shotgun strategy on Gamma on my test world. DAMN did it work. Flawless strategy. I would imagine this would definitely work on Beta and Alpha.

Yeah, surprisingly easy. It's a bit of a shame that they don't find some way to fix that fight so that you need dino's but also make it more do-able on dinos. It's a shame that the mechanics of the fight are so brutal that using dino's in a dino-based game is a bad idea.

I don't know how easy it's going to be do do Alpha with just two people, but based on our 7-person experience I'd bet that you can do it with 3 sets of flak armor and 300%+ shotguns.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

There is a new meta out to do Alpha Rockwell solo. I have done it multiple times now without issue. You need a good sword, preferably close to the cap (298) and mindwipe to 650 melee and 140 weight. It is really easy, credit to Steve Fisher for figuring this meta out. This is by far the easiest way to do it, would be super easy with multiple people. 

Archived