Steam Certification

CyberAngel67

wouldn't supprise me. However we all know that it isn't the only possible reason. Every single update comes with delays and bugs. Even some of the community that can offer content and context of their gameplay in ark is openly commenting on it....Nooblets, zany zebra....suspect CJ and others have as well, but haven't been watching them as closely.

8 minutes ago, GrumpyBear said:

i would say it's more likely that all 3 platforms have different timeframes for clearing an update.  You post them all together at the same time and you won't get all 3 to publish at the same time.

You can however hold a publish after clearance , that can make it so all can publish at the same time.

That was not the question, my question was more along the lines, does Microsoft need to approve non steam games?

Because someone told me they did, I don't believe them for one minute, but I wanted to see if WC had a Windows certification in place other than the Steam Certification for steam games!

1 hour ago, wizard03 said:

wouldn't supprise me. However we all know that it isn't the only possible reason. Every single update comes with delays and bugs. Even some of the community that can offer content and context of their gameplay in ark is openly commenting on it....Nooblets, zany zebra....suspect CJ and others have as well, but haven't been watching them as closely.

Thanks I am aware of that!

I am interested to know, because someone is adamant that Microsoft have to approve all Steam games, because it runs on their platform. I know the answer to this or should I say I suspected he was full of it. 

I had also reached out to someone at Microsoft and my brother who works at Ubisoft, and have the answer now.

they have to approve the xbox version of the game.  If the developer wants all 3 systems to publish at the same time - microsoft certifies xbox, since the xbox version can also play on pc - that version for the pc as well as the xbox version get certified separately, the steam version is separate altogether, sony certifies the playstation, and steam certifies the steam version, and epic certifies the epic version...not that complicated.

2 minutes ago, GrumpyBear said:

they have to approve the xbox version of the game.  If the developer wants all 3 systems to publish at the same time - microsoft certifies xbox, since the xbox version can also play on pc - that version for the pc as well as the xbox version get certified separately, the steam version is separate altogether, sony certifies the playstation, and steam certifies the steam version, and epic certifies the epic version...not that complicated.

I know that, I said steam version though!

And yes, if they want all 3 released at the same time, and one held the other up, that makes sense. But that is not the same thing as MS having to approve every steam game, regardless of if they are waiting for what WC would be doing.

7 minutes ago, CyberAngel67 said:

I know that, I said steam version though!

And yes, if they want all 3 released at the same time, and one held the other up, that makes sense. But that is not the same thing as MS having to approve every steam game, regardless of if they are waiting for what WC would be doing.

I think you need to listen to your own question and answer yourself, how can you not answer that for yourself?

If it's not approved in a micrsoft store - why would they get to approve anything?  The only thing that could be an issue would be if Microsoft's antivirus decided to treat the program as if it was a virus.  Even if that happened, you could still run the game. BUt all that would happen is WC would file a report to microsoft, they would review the virus reports and the software, then they'd edit their virus tables and it would get removed from the warning list.  

Publishers don't have to ask permission to release on windows.  They do on a closed off system like the microsoft store, and the tablet version of windows.

Just now, GrumpyBear said:

I think you need to listen to your own question and answer yourself, how can you not answer that for yourself?

If it's not approved in a micrsoft store - why would they get to approve anything?  The only thing that could be an issue would be if Microsoft's antivirus decided to treat the program as if it was a virus.  In which case, maybe?

Exactly.....

But as he might be browsing here, I wanted to start a conversation that he might read it and wonder if he misspoke :P

And as for a virus part, I don't see what that has to do with the certification process.

4 minutes ago, CyberAngel67 said:

Exactly.....

But as he might be browsing here, I wanted to start a conversation that he might read it and wonder if he misspoke :P

And as for a virus part, I don't see what that has to do with the certification process.

a software company could submit an executable for review to make sure it doesn't come up as a virus on the system.  That would be the only thing that they'd have to give microsoft ahead of time if they were worried about it.  Even then, they wouldn't have to give it ahead of time, the program would still run and be publishable by steam.

there definitely wouldn't need to be a code review to get cleared by antivirus.  Their code is proprietary, and no antivirus company has the right to see the code to pass it.  ANd microsoft doesn't review software made for windows unless they get a cut of the profits from microsoft xbox and store released software.

8 minutes ago, GrumpyBear said:

a software company could submit an executable for review to make sure it doesn't come up as a virus on the system.  That would be the only thing that they'd have to give microsoft ahead of time if they were worried about it.  Even then, they wouldn't have to give it ahead of time, the program would still run and be publishable by steam.

there definitely wouldn't need to be a code review to get cleared by antivirus.  Their code is proprietary, and no antivirus company has the right to see the code to pass it.  ANd microsoft doesn't review software made for windows unless they get a cut of the profits from microsoft xbox and store released software.

Yeah makes sense, but all games engines like UE4/5, Unity, Godot are the ones responsible for that these days, and any developer who uses these engines would more than likely never have an issue in that respect.

32 minutes ago, CyberAngel67 said:

Except I said Steam version!

I understand what you said... you were discussing something you heard. "Is it true..." would indicate you are rumor checking.

I should have been more clear... I do not believe Steam(or any software package handler) requires Microsoft certification. Microsoft has no power to determine what I install on my system, nor any product I develop and sell to be install on Windows.  Likewise, nor does Steam require Microsoft permission to install their own product, nor the software of the third parties that use Steam as a distribution resource.

So... I was hypothesizing that what you heard was 'Microsoft certification for PC install' was actually related to the Microsoft Store distro, and NOT the Steam distro. Or perhaps you heard MS Certification for XBOX (might be both).

59 minutes ago, Ganelon said:

I understand what you said... you were discussing something you heard. "Is it true..." would indicate you are rumor checking.

I should have been more clear... I do not believe Steam(or any software package handler) requires Microsoft certification. Microsoft has no power to determine what I install on my system, nor any product I develop and sell to be install on Windows.  Likewise, nor does Steam require Microsoft permission to install their own product, nor the software of the third parties that use Steam as a distribution resource.

So... I was hypothesizing that what you heard was 'Microsoft certification for PC install' was actually related to the Microsoft Store distro, and NOT the Steam distro. Or perhaps you heard MS Certification for XBOX (might be both).

Which is what my understanding of the process is as well. And it wasn't something I heard, I was literally in a 1 hour discussion talking to him!

It was hilarious listening to this person talk about having to do this, and having to do that.

But it wasn't what I heard, this person was precisely stating that all Steam Games require to be certified by Microsoft, even after I said Microsoft don't certify non Windows Store or non XBox games, he went to town with how they do this and that and have to because of this and that, all of which was laughable at best.

59 minutes ago, CyberAngel67 said:

Which is what my understanding of the process is as well. And it wasn't something I heard, I was literally in a 1 hour discussion talking to him!

It was hilarious listening to this person talk about having to do this, and having to do that.

But it wasn't what I heard, this person was precisely stating that all Steam Games require to be certified by Microsoft, even after I said Microsoft don't certify non Windows Store or non XBox games, he went to town with how they do this and that and have to because of this and that, all of which was laughable at best.

Ah well. People. 

Some folk go all in on something they think, but have no experience with. Considering how many games are on Steams, from AAA to indie cash grabs, I'd say we'd all be working in the MS cert office. 😜

Archived