Why Ark II will not replace Ark

Kodking194

so I've started reading the forums again (boy was that a mistake). and I've been seeing a fair few people going on about how Ark II is gonna replace Ark and make it irrelevant. this shouldn't and most likely wouldn't be the case. for starters Ark II will most likely be very different from Ark. yes it will probably be a survival game. but Ark II will most likely be very different from Ark in terms of content and gameplay. next is a financial reason. it wouldn't make sense for WC to create a game that ruins the sales for one of their other best earning games. it would make more sense for them to make Ark II similar to Ark, but still different enough so that people will continue to purchase the first game. another reason is the player base itself. Ark is 6 years old. there are a lot of OG Ark players as well as first timers who will have developed some kind of emotional link to the game. this would in turn keep them playing the game. expanding on that. people will still buy Ark to play through the story maps and experience its content. we know that Ark II is pretty much continuing on with arks story. this is not a remake. therefore players will want to buy the first Ark to experience the story that leads to Ark II. there are many other reasons I can also mention as to why Ark II wont replace Ark or make it irrelevant such as the fact that a lot of people would have spent a lot of money on the game and its DLCs. I personally am very excited to see what Ark II brings to the table and will be purchasing it. I know I'll also be playing Ark even after Ark II is released. you are free to disagree with my opinion and I respect that, however dont go being an immature and just rant on about how Ark will become irrelevant and not provide any evidence or points. I'm more than happy to hear feedback so long as its mature and constructive or contributes to the discussion.

Paragraphs are your friend.

Atlas was rumored to be the next hot thing that people would run to, that worked out wonderfully.  Ark is a game, a flawed game that is fun for many different styles of gamers as it is a sandbox and allows you the ability to have your own server configuration and hosting. 

Wildcard is in the business of making games, as Ark is nearing its end of life as far as product sales, it would make sense that Wildcard would attempt to make the best next game that they are capable of making in order to create as many future sales as possible.  Ark is not a subscription model, so once the sale is done it is all the money WC will realize. 

World of Warcraft from Blizzard is a purchase and subscribe model, so they realize income from subscriptions long after the initial product sale so it is in their best interest to keep things working and updated regularly.  Diablo III by Blizzard was a purchase and no subscription model, yet you have to play on their servers so they are also obligated some such to keeping the game functional, and they do add a little here and there with their seasons.

WC with Ark really falls closer to Diablo III model in that they do have official servers that players have invested time on, and for a large number of players it is how they access the game.  This to me seems to indicate they will provide support for the game and the servers as long as they can financially and there is interest in both game and servers.

While Wildcard would love to create a game that people would become so engrossed in they forgot all previous games on the market, I doubt they have any desire to ruin the legacy of their first main stream hit and have it die a horrible withering death.

6 hours ago, Treeost said:

Paragraphs are your friend.

Atlas was rumored to be the next hot thing that people would run to, that worked out wonderfully.  Ark is a game, a flawed game that is fun for many different styles of gamers as it is a sandbox and allows you the ability to have your own server configuration and hosting. 

Wildcard is in the business of making games, as Ark is nearing its end of life as far as product sales, it would make sense that Wildcard would attempt to make the best next game that they are capable of making in order to create as many future sales as possible.  Ark is not a subscription model, so once the sale is done it is all the money WC will realize. 

World of Warcraft from Blizzard is a purchase and subscribe model, so they realize income from subscriptions long after the initial product sale so it is in their best interest to keep things working and updated regularly.  Diablo III by Blizzard was a purchase and no subscription model, yet you have to play on their servers so they are also obligated some such to keeping the game functional, and they do add a little here and there with their seasons.

WC with Ark really falls closer to Diablo III model in that they do have official servers that players have invested time on, and for a large number of players it is how they access the game.  This to me seems to indicate they will provide support for the game and the servers as long as they can financially and there is interest in both game and servers.

While Wildcard would love to create a game that people would become so engrossed in they forgot all previous games on the market, I doubt they have any desire to ruin the legacy of their first main stream hit and have it die a horrible withering death.

Any need to go on about paragraphs ?     I understood what he was saying.

As far as I see, what will determine ARK 1 living or dying is player engagement. If ark 1 loses 2/3 of the current average player base, it isn't worth it to keep deleoping for(or even hosting servers)... AND it means 2/3 of the current players are playing something else so will not care anyway.

If ARK 2 is more fun than ARK 1, then I will play it.

Je suis entièrement d'accord sur ce que vous dites KodKing194. Ark 2 ne remplacera jamais ark. Si Wilcard a travaillé tant de temps sur ark1 et sort ark 2 ce n'est pas pour rien. Les gens malgré leur rage, leur mécontentement sur les bug, etc... sont toujours présent car Ark a eut un tel développement depuis ces débuts, inimaginable, que nous avons tout de suite accrochés, aimés, adorés, tant dans son développement, cette créativité et ce lien qui s'est crée autour de ce jeu dans les communautés durant toutes ces années. Et qui a eut une longévité unique, toutes ces années de créations, de maintenance, d'imagination envers ce jeu pour le plaisir de cette communauté immense qu'est ARK. Si ils voulaient le remplacer ils aurait fait un tout autre jeu. La ils veulent resté malgré tout dans le monde de ARK mais dans un autre thème. Malheureusement beaucoup de gens ne se rendent pas compte du travail qu'a engendrés cette création, certes je ne sais pas non plus ce n'est pas mon métier, mais quand on réfléchis, on peut se dire mais comment ont ils fait, comment imaginer une tel histoire, une tel suite avec tous ses DLC qui l'ont accompagnés. Et tout ce temps qu'ils ont passés jour après jour pour réparer, corriger et rajouter tant de contenus pour nous mettre en haleine et devenir addict a ce jeux immense qu'est ARK. Quel jeu arrive a nous faire lever tôt le matin pour avancer dans notre aventure hein? Il y en a aucun égal a ARK et il n'y en aura jamais. 
Une petite anecdote: A l'époque de ces débuts ma fille jouait a ce jeu et quand je passais a côté je me "moquais" en lui disant rho tu joues avec des dinosaures haha, et puis au fil du temps quand je repassais j'ai commencé a regarder ce qu'elle faisait, et la je me suis dit ho mais c'est que cela me plait bien ce qu' il y a dans ce jeu. Et bien, j'ai fini par tomber dedans, j'ai acheté le jeu et je peut vous dire que c'est elle qui m'as tout appris et j'en suis fière car au jour d'aujourd'hui j'adore, j'aime et je ne m'en lasse pas, je m'occupe maintenant de serveurs et explique les mécaniques du jeu au nouveaux joueurs qui s'y intéresse.
Bref tout ça pour dire que même avec un ARK 2, je ne pense pas que Wilcard perdra tant de joueurs que ça, et que même si ils en perdent ce ne sera certainement pas ceux qui ont connu le jeu a ses débuts. Car WC reste dans le thème avec des changements certes mais cela nous maintiendra toujours en haleine, et on sera toujours addict ^^  J'adore ARK et je continuerais avec ARK 2. 

16 hours ago, Mylei02 said:

Je suis entièrement d'accord sur ce que vous dites KodKing194. Ark 2 ne remplacera jamais ark. Si Wilcard a travaillé tant de temps sur ark1 et sort ark 2 ce n'est pas pour rien. Les gens malgré leur rage, leur mécontentement sur les bug, etc... sont toujours présent car Ark a eut un tel développement depuis ces débuts, inimaginable, que nous avons tout de suite accrochés, aimés, adorés, tant dans son développement, cette créativité et ce lien qui s'est crée autour de ce jeu dans les communautés durant toutes ces années. Et qui a eut une longévité unique, toutes ces années de créations, de maintenance, d'imagination envers ce jeu pour le plaisir de cette communauté immense qu'est ARK. Si ils voulaient le remplacer ils aurait fait un tout autre jeu. La ils veulent resté malgré tout dans le monde de ARK mais dans un autre thème. Malheureusement beaucoup de gens ne se rendent pas compte du travail qu'a engendrés cette création, certes je ne sais pas non plus ce n'est pas mon métier, mais quand on réfléchis, on peut se dire mais comment ont ils fait, comment imaginer une tel histoire, une tel suite avec tous ses DLC qui l'ont accompagnés. Et tout ce temps qu'ils ont passés jour après jour pour réparer, corriger et rajouter tant de contenus pour nous mettre en haleine et devenir addict a ce jeux immense qu'est ARK. Quel jeu arrive a nous faire lever tôt le matin pour avancer dans notre aventure hein? Il y en a aucun égal a ARK et il n'y en aura jamais. 
Une petite anecdote: A l'époque de ces débuts ma fille jouait a ce jeu et quand je passais a côté je me "moquais" en lui disant rho tu joues avec des dinosaures haha, et puis au fil du temps quand je repassais j'ai commencé a regarder ce qu'elle faisait, et la je me suis dit ho mais c'est que cela me plait bien ce qu' il y a dans ce jeu. Et bien, j'ai fini par tomber dedans, j'ai acheté le jeu et je peut vous dire que c'est elle qui m'as tout appris et j'en suis fière car au jour d'aujourd'hui j'adore, j'aime et je ne m'en lasse pas, je m'occupe maintenant de serveurs et explique les mécaniques du jeu au nouveaux joueurs qui s'y intéresse.
Bref tout ça pour dire que même avec un ARK 2, je ne pense pas que Wilcard perdra tant de joueurs que ça, et que même si ils en perdent ce ne sera certainement pas ceux qui ont connu le jeu a ses débuts. Car WC reste dans le thème avec des changements certes mais cela nous maintiendra toujours en haleine, et on sera toujours addict ^^  J'adore ARK et je continuerais avec ARK 2. 

not trying to be negative or rude. but could you please respond in English. most of us here speak English. so we most likely cant understand what your saying.

Oh sorry :/ I don't speak English, I hope you will understand with this translation:
I totally agree with what you say KodKing194. Ark 2 will never replace Ark. If Wilcard has been working on ark1 for so long and is releasing ark 2, it's not for nothing. People despite their rage, their dissatisfaction with bugs, etc ... are still because Ark has had such a development since these beginnings, unimaginable, that we immediately hooked, loved, adored, both in its development, this creativity and this bond that has been created around this game in the communities during all these years. And who has had a unique longevity, all these years of creation, maintenance, imagination towards this game for the pleasure of this immense community that is ARK. If they had replaced it, they would have made a whole different game. They still want to stay in the ARK world but in a different theme. Unfortunately, many people did not realize the work that this creation generated, of course I also do not know that it is not my job, but when you think about it, you can tell yourself but how they did it. have done, how to imagine such a story, such a sequel with all its accompanying DLC. And all that time that they spent day after day fixing, fixing and adding so much content to get us started and hooked on this huge game that is ARK. What game gets us up early in the morning to advance in our adventure eh? There is no equal to ARK and there never will be. Of course I don't know either it's not my job, but when you think about it, you can tell yourself how they did it, how to imagine such a story, such a sequel with all its DLC that accompanied it. And all that time that they spent day after day fixing, fixing and adding so much content to get us started and hooked on this huge game that is ARK. What game gets us up early in the morning to advance in our adventure eh? There is no equal to ARK and there never will be. Of course I don't know either it's not my job, but when you think about it, you can tell yourself how they did it, how to imagine such a story, such a sequel with all its DLC that accompanied it. And all that time that they spent day after day fixing, fixing and adding so much content to get us started and hooked on this huge game that is ARK. What game gets us up early in the morning to advance in our adventure eh? There is no equal to ARK and there never will be. correct and add as much content to put us in suspense and become addicted to this immense game that is ARK. What game gets us up early in the morning to advance in our adventure eh? There is no equal to ARK and there never will be. correct and add as much content to put us in suspense and become addicted to this immense game that is ARK. What game gets us up early in the morning to advance in our adventure eh? There is no equal to ARK and there never will be.
A little anecdote: At the time of these beginnings my daughter played this game and when I passed by I "laughed" telling her rho you play with dinosaurs haha, and then over time when I ironed I started to watch what she was doing, and then I thought ho but I really like what's in this game. Well I ended up falling into it, I bought the game and I can tell you that it was she who taught me everything and I am proud of it because today I like, I love and I never tire of it, now I take care of servers and explain the mechanics of the game to interested new players.
In short, all that to say that even with an ARK 2, I don't think Wilcard will lose so many players, and that even if they lose some it certainly won't be the ones who knew the game when it started. Because WC remains in the theme with changes of course but that will always make us move forward, and we will always be addicted ^^ I love ARK and I continued with ARK 2.

On 6/7/2021 at 5:15 PM, Mylei02 said:

Oh sorry :/ I don't speak English, I hope you will understand with this translation:
I totally agree with what you say KodKing194. Ark 2 will never replace Ark. If Wilcard has been working on ark1 for so long and is releasing ark 2, it's not for nothing. People despite their rage, their dissatisfaction with bugs, etc ... are still because Ark has had such a development since these beginnings, unimaginable, that we immediately hooked, loved, adored, both in its development, this creativity and this bond that has been created around this game in the communities during all these years. And who has had a unique longevity, all these years of creation, maintenance, imagination towards this game for the pleasure of this immense community that is ARK. If they had replaced it, they would have made a whole different game. They still want to stay in the ARK world but in a different theme. Unfortunately, many people did not realize the work that this creation generated, of course I also do not know that it is not my job, but when you think about it, you can tell yourself but how they did it. have done, how to imagine such a story, such a sequel with all its accompanying DLC. And all that time that they spent day after day fixing, fixing and adding so much content to get us started and hooked on this huge game that is ARK. What game gets us up early in the morning to advance in our adventure eh? There is no equal to ARK and there never will be. Of course I don't know either it's not my job, but when you think about it, you can tell yourself how they did it, how to imagine such a story, such a sequel with all its DLC that accompanied it. And all that time that they spent day after day fixing, fixing and adding so much content to get us started and hooked on this huge game that is ARK. What game gets us up early in the morning to advance in our adventure eh? There is no equal to ARK and there never will be. Of course I don't know either it's not my job, but when you think about it, you can tell yourself how they did it, how to imagine such a story, such a sequel with all its DLC that accompanied it. And all that time that they spent day after day fixing, fixing and adding so much content to get us started and hooked on this huge game that is ARK. What game gets us up early in the morning to advance in our adventure eh? There is no equal to ARK and there never will be. correct and add as much content to put us in suspense and become addicted to this immense game that is ARK. What game gets us up early in the morning to advance in our adventure eh? There is no equal to ARK and there never will be. correct and add as much content to put us in suspense and become addicted to this immense game that is ARK. What game gets us up early in the morning to advance in our adventure eh? There is no equal to ARK and there never will be.
A little anecdote: At the time of these beginnings my daughter played this game and when I passed by I "laughed" telling her rho you play with dinosaurs haha, and then over time when I ironed I started to watch what she was doing, and then I thought ho but I really like what's in this game. Well I ended up falling into it, I bought the game and I can tell you that it was she who taught me everything and I am proud of it because today I like, I love and I never tire of it, now I take care of servers and explain the mechanics of the game to interested new players.
In short, all that to say that even with an ARK 2, I don't think Wilcard will lose so many players, and that even if they lose some it certainly won't be the ones who knew the game when it started. Because WC remains in the theme with changes of course but that will always make us move forward, and we will always be addicted ^^ I love ARK and I continued with ARK 2.

all g, and thanks for the translation.

• 2 weeks later...

Someone asked WC, if they will support Ark 1 after Ark 2. WC replied that they will support Ark 1 after Genesis 2. Practilaci political question dodge. :P As I see it, Ark 1 will recive no updates after Ark 2 will come around (EA or Full). Official servers will be more and more empty and my gues is after cca 5 years there will be non, only the unofficial ones.

11 hours ago, Kodking194 said:

this ha

s gotta be the 100th time i've said this to a PS player. its supposed to release for us about a year after it releases on xbox and PC.

I've not seen any such confirmation, have you? I know people speculated the same about the Bathesda games and they made it quite clear they're exclusive. So, again I don't see Microsoft spending all that money to not have these exclusives. So, unless otherwise officially stated, I'll take them on their word that it's Xbox&PC only

• Volunteer Moderator
50 minutes ago, KingOfAshes said:

I've not seen any such confirmation, have you? I know people speculated the same about the Bathesda games and they made it quite clear they're exclusive. So, again I don't see Microsoft spending all that money to not have these exclusives. So, unless otherwise officially stated, I'll take them on their word that it's Xbox&PC only

Nothing has officially been confirmed about PS afaik.

However, It is very unlikely that WC would cut out an entire platform. It makes more sense for it to come much later like Ark 1 did. It's more than likely there is an embargo placed on WC in line with Microsoft agreement to not mention PS before Ark 2 is released.

Again all that's speculation, but I might add that ruling out PS is also speculation as no-one at any point has categorically stated Ark 2 is not coming to PS.

The timing of all this is baffling to me.   A quick google search indicated that Unreal 5 won't release until 2022.   Then they're going to need time to learn the new engine.  It's possible the preliminary specs have been released and they might be able to do some character modeling at this time, or maybe some texturing, but aside from that and the art and director departments, they can't really do much with the game now.  They _shouldn't_ be releasing Ark 2 in Early Access form since they claim to be a legitimate studio now, but they probably will because they never evolved out of EA to begin with, and they're likely to be desperate for another cash influx.

Optimistically you might see something from Ark 2 in EA, early 2023.   That leaves them 1.5-2 years with no product making money and 1.5-2 years of paying employees with no return revenue except whatever they gain from new players.     Ark is still popular, but it's also been 4 years since release, 6 years since EA, if I'm not mistaken.   I think it would take a drastic price drop for them to realize a massive influx of new players.

In the meantime, they're paying for servers, paying employees, before the title even hits the market.

Am I missing something?

On 6/2/2021 at 6:36 AM, Kodking194 said:

so I've started reading the forums again (boy was that a mistake). and I've been seeing a fair few people going on about how Ark II is gonna replace Ark and make it irrelevant. this shouldn't and most likely wouldn't be the case. for starters Ark II will most likely be very different from Ark. yes it will probably be a survival game. but Ark II will most likely be very different from Ark in terms of content and gameplay. next is a financial reason. it wouldn't make sense for WC to create a game that ruins the sales for one of their other best earning games. it would make more sense for them to make Ark II similar to Ark, but still different enough so that people will continue to purchase the first game. another reason is the player base itself. Ark is 6 years old. there are a lot of OG Ark players as well as first timers who will have developed some kind of emotional link to the game. this would in turn keep them playing the game. expanding on that. people will still buy Ark to play through the story maps and experience its content. we know that Ark II is pretty much continuing on with arks story. this is not a remake. therefore players will want to buy the first Ark to experience the story that leads to Ark II. there are many other reasons I can also mention as to why Ark II wont replace Ark or make it irrelevant such as the fact that a lot of people would have spent a lot of money on the game and its DLCs. I personally am very excited to see what Ark II brings to the table and will be purchasing it. I know I'll also be playing Ark even after Ark II is released. you are free to disagree with my opinion and I respect that, however dont go being an immature and just rant on about how Ark will become irrelevant and not provide any evidence or points. I'm more than happy to hear feedback so long as its mature and constructive or contributes to the discussion.

Can you please make your text a little bit more readable by creating alineas, segments? Use capitals at new sentences...
My god all those letter...

On 6/2/2021 at 6:36 AM, Kodking194 said:

Ark is 6 years old. there are a lot of OG Ark players as well as first timers who will have developed some kind of emotional link to the game. this would in turn keep them playing the game. expanding on that.

I wish character development would have gotten some kind of uhm "designed development". I dont know how to properly express this because I've yet to come with practical function and explaination and all. But Im trying to talk about some kind of profile or toon profile that you could upload from Ark 1 and reload in Ark 2. If Ark 2 story could somehow or on some aspects allow or support such kind of a "tranfering in"...
Maybe even allowing back and forth transfering. 

With that in mind, as "raw concept" it could be a unplanned last dlc, to link Ark1 with 2?
Next to that... With reading UE5 only to be done early 22. What will propably be mid 22...
They will have plenty of time Fixing some new "Beginner Arks" and fix Ark in general...

On 6/18/2021 at 10:44 PM, KingOfAshes said:

i cant recall where. but it will be coming to PS4 in like a year after launch. it wouldn't make sense to cut off PS4 players as that would remove a large chunk of revenue. if crossplay becomes a thing in the game then they might make that exclusive to xbox and PC. but its highly unlikely Ark II will never come to PS4. but please. by all means, continue to complain. i'll have my PC by the time Ark II releases. so the game not releasing on PS4 wont harm me.

Stating facts should not be confused with complaining. As for the revenue part, again it's the same for Starfield etc, yet clearly exclusivity is considered the better option. At the end of the day, as a customer, I have my preference of hardware based on value for money for my circumstances. If a company doesn't offer their product for that hardware, I don't really mind as there are always plenty of other products. I'm simply stating that their Ark 2 product  is irrelevant to PS5 customers and therefore can't replace ARK.

Had the intention been to not leave the PS customers behind, I'm pretty sure the marketing team would have been quick to make that clear via secondary channels like IGN etc, like we've seen with other titles. So, there is only one fact at the moment and that is that they've confirmed it as an Xbox/PC launch exclusive.  As for content creators stating opinions that it will 'surely come to PS', it make sense for them to keep the audience's hopes up and therefore interest in their content. But that's just smart business practice and should not be confused with facts.

• 1 month later...

Archived