Anyone else miss the old kibble system?

Tylanater

I thought the kibble rework was good at first but looking back I think the game actually lost a lot from removing the old system. I play PvP exclusively but having to go out and collect your PvE dinos was like a fun little side quest. Now I can't even remember the last time I used any kibble. The main reason I thought it would be good was for the lag reduction but I think the rework has actually made the lag worse. Now, instead of having hundreds of egg dinos in a large tribe they just have hundreds more spots for gigas and other large dinos that are even laggier. There also used to be kibble traders on a lot of servers that would specialize in the hard to get eggs which is a neat player driven thing that doesn't exist now. Overall, I think it made the early and mid game much more enjoyable. Get your dodos for PTs, dilos for ankys, and go from there. Now it's just do a note run then instantly go tame a crystal wyvern as your first tame.

48 minutes ago, Thekuervito said:

Miss that system?hell no

Now tame  bees and get some deinos,in breeding events can get 100-150 eggs,now in island have 1k of extraordinary kibbles.

Yeah that's kind of my point though. Kibble is so incredibly easy now that what's the point of it. It's like a mechanic was removed essentially. Also many dinos now have no use whatsoever and are not tamed ata ll

I only saw a bit of old system, and I was really, really glad when it was changed for the new one. I was finally able to start kibble-taming things! I didn't need to check what wants what anymore, and yes, I had to check every time - I don't have good enough memory to just keep all of that in my mind.

I'm glad to only need 5 recipes now: for 2 dishes and 3 kibbles (third one is for Basic - I use it when leaving juveniles/adolescents out at night in case the trough isn't enough).

• Volunteer Moderator

Old system needed some tweaking but ya it was fun to have to go grab all the different dinos (most of which only served the purpose of laying eggs for kibble).

Now it's so watered down. Go tame one dino, all the kibble you need. ZZZZzzzz....

The only real positive, getting rid of those huge kibble farms. Pros and Cons. Those just were replaced by huge breeding farms. 

as someone who had to feed and maintain 1 male and 19 of every egg-laying female on official setting sback when kibble first came out, I can safely and confidently say good riddance

The constant upkeep of our kibble farm meant two of us would literally lose half our play time being camped in the base waiting for eggs to spawn so we could add them to our room of 50 fridges in order to get made into Kibble.

No thanks

Just now, 1nc0mp3t3nc3 said:

as someone who had to feed and maintain 1 male and 19 of every egg-laying female on official setting sback when kibble first came out, I can safely and confidently say good riddance

The constant upkeep of our kibble farm meant two of us would literally lose half our play time being camped in the base waiting for eggs to spawn so we could add them to our room of 50 fridges in order to get made into Kibble.

No thanks

but what's the difference now? now you have to sit in base with your hundreds of gigas and other large tames that are about to drop hundreds of fertilized eggs at pretty much all times. I think that's way more of a chore.

• Volunteer Moderator
27 minutes ago, Tylanater said:

but what's the difference now? now you have to sit in base with your hundreds of gigas and other large tames that are about to drop hundreds of fertilized eggs at pretty much all times. I think that's way more of a chore.

It's the same now, just different.

2 minutes ago, Thekuervito said:

You really love gigas and large dinos,use deinos,enable mating,the fert eggs decay in a week,no need wait each egg and big space

I'm not talking about people using large dinos for egg farm, I'm talking about people having way more space because they dont need the small dinos for eggs so they can breed hundreds of large dinos for mutations which lags the server. So the kibble rework got rid of a bunch of small dinos that lagged the server but they were replaced by large dinos that lag the server more.

2 hours ago, Tylanater said:

The difference is that you don't have to own twenty of every type of dino in order to maintain kibble upkeep, only twenty of every egg class.

And if you really didn't care about the resource farming, you only need 20 egg laying Yutyrannus, as you could make the special class kibble to max tame pretty much 90% of creatures in Ark.

This heavily reduces the size of your farm and the amount of troughs that you need to keep filled instead of 20 of about 30 different species of dinos

The old kibble system was pretty fun trading wise. I remember coordinating with some other tribes who would farm which kibbles and sharing between us. It also gave small tribes a resource they could produce that larger tribes would want, now any medium tribe has 10 fridges full of extraordinary kibble.

New system is still a lot better. Playing with a neighboring base with 40 different kibble species was not fun.

33 minutes ago, Thyme said:

The old kibble system was pretty fun trading wise. I remember coordinating with some other tribes who would farm which kibbles and sharing between us. It also gave small tribes a resource they could produce that larger tribes would want, now any medium tribe has 10 fridges full of extraordinary kibble.

New system is still a lot better. Playing with a neighboring base with 40 different kibble species was not fun.

what I tended to find was what people wanted to trade, they would attempt to take by force

9 hours ago, Tylanater said:

I thought the kibble rework was good at first but looking back I think the game actually lost a lot from removing the old system. I play PvP exclusively but having to go out and collect your PvE dinos was like a fun little side quest. Now I can't even remember the last time I used any kibble. The main reason I thought it would be good was for the lag reduction but I think the rework has actually made the lag worse. Now, instead of having hundreds of egg dinos in a large tribe they just have hundreds more spots for gigas and other large dinos that are even laggier. There also used to be kibble traders on a lot of servers that would specialize in the hard to get eggs which is a neat player driven thing that doesn't exist now. Overall, I think it made the early and mid game much more enjoyable. Get your dodos for PTs, dilos for ankys, and go from there. Now it's just do a note run then instantly go tame a crystal wyvern as your first tame.

Dunno as I never had to deal with the old kibble. But as a newish player, I must say that the online aspect seems rather dry, and same goes for solo. Granted its still a challenge, but to get exceptional kibble is much easier than other kibbles. An example is the argy kibble.......argy kibble takes eggs and jerky....both take time. But argy eggs should lay faster than getting the jerky going. Granted you could build multiple preserving bins in anticipation, but it takes up space, only has a single use {other than special events}, and its time restraint on two main ingredients for an inferior kibble to to others. 

If you do exceptional kibble however, the only thing your really slowed down by is the garden to make Lazarus chowder. Thing is, the gardens are a HECK of a lot more useful then just jerky as you can make other soups, veggie cake, ect. ect.
Now if jerky had more uses to it, or becomes an extremely valuable resource {carnivores replenish 50-100 health points per jerky consumed?} then it wouldn't be such an issue. However at that rate, we would need a jerky smoker to avoid violent over populace of preserving bins.

On 5/27/2021 at 4:37 PM, Tylanater said:

Yeah that's kind of my point though. Kibble is so incredibly easy now that what's the point of it. It's like a mechanic was removed essentially. Also many dinos now have no use whatsoever and are not tamed ata ll

I'm not going to try to argue with you or to change your mind, obviously you enjoy what you enjoy. But I will answer your question for myself, and my reasons for feeling that way.

I don't miss it, not for one second. The kibble tree itself was ok, I didn't mind the complexity, but what was not ok (and is still not entirely ok, but is better than it used to be) is having to do pointless busy work running around collecting eggs to make kibble. The new tree allows players to pick and choose exactly which species they want to tame for kibble based on their own personal preferences. If you want large, easy-to-find eggs then that's what you tame, if you want small-convenient-for-a-small-base eggs then that's what you tame. Turtles take up a lot of space and yet it's still difficult to find their eggs underneath them, I'm glad to be able to avoid taming them for kibble. In the past everyone had to build a fairly large area just for egg farming but now people can, for the most part, choose how big to build and which species to tame based on what they want to build to house them and how much they're willing to walk around crouched to find eggs from small dinos. For example: I hated trying to get dilo's to stand in exactly the right spot so that their tails didn't constantly get in the way but you could still find their eggs to pick them up. I like dilo's for low-level game play but as egg layers they're annoying AF. Every time I don't need to tame a dilo it still makes me smile, even after all this time.

In fact I want them to go two steps further:

1) Make it even better by letting people place animals exactly where they want them rather than throwing them and hoping they land at the right angle or that they don't hit the wall and walk away to some stupid position. It's irksome that every handheld animal and shoulder pet just randomly land on the ground and you have to place them multiple times just to get them where you want them. After all, when you set your cat down in the living room it doesn't magically bounce bounce off the wall and land in the kitchen. The animal placement system is silly and a waste of player time. Considering that this is a game and that egg farms are a basic feature of the game, we should be able to use crosshairs or something and place the animals exactly where and how we want them every time.

2) Do something to make poop management better. This is another piece of pointless busy work that should be gotten rid of or at least improved. Add a feature to some species so that they take care of poop collecting, or make a device that collects it ( Poop Rumba TM), just anything that will gather the poop into a single convenient location. We can advance to having Tek Gear but we still can't invent a device that will collect poop for fertilizer, something that should happen as soon as we can make generators and refrigerators.

What the game (still) needs is more convenience and less pointless busy work. I'm quite glad that they streamlined the kibble tree, it make one game mechanic less tedious and less bad.

Just my two cents. :)

On 5/28/2021 at 12:07 AM, Tylanater said:

[...]because they dont need the small dinos for eggs so they can breed hundreds of large dinos for mutations which lags the server. So the kibble rework got rid of a bunch of small dinos that lagged the server but they were replaced by large dinos that lag the server more.

Yeah so they fixed one problem by creating an even bigger one LUL because now everyone got tons of mutation lines to get their best

23 hours ago, Pipinghot said:

2) Do something to make poop management better. This is another piece of pointless busy work that should be gotten rid of or at least improved. Add a feature to some species so that they take care of poop collecting, or make a device that collects it ( Poop Rumba TM), just anything that will gather the poop into a single convenient location. We can advance to having Tek Gear but we still can't invent a device that will collect poop for fertilizer, something that should happen as soon as we can make generators and refrigerators.

What is really annoying is that there is already a creature in the game that would be perfect for this crappy job - dung beetles. Having them gather poop while wandering would just make too much sense I guess. 

Archived