Egg vs wild mature?

SunWukong

Hi there I'm new to ark and wanted to know if dinos hatched from eggs are stronger then dinos caught matured?

Or s it just an imprint bonus. I want to breed I'm on a private boosted server so time is not an issue.

I read that there is no need to imprint when breeding as it has no effect. So if dinos are the same other then that then I may as well just catch mature dinos.

Thank you guys In advance.

Every baby has to be imprinted to get the boost - by giving it what it asks for (walks, cuddles, kibble, etc).

Only the wild or newly born stats can get passed onto the children.

The newly hatched imprint doesn't give any stat boost, but it determines who the baby is imprinted to.
AFAIK, if someone else rides the dino, the stat boost won't apply.

Breeding is very important in getting dinos that are much stronger than anything you can wild tame. Wild dinos of the same level will have different stat figures - one level 150 rex might have a ton of points in health, another have lots of points in melee, and a third in something useless for a rex, like food. Breeding lets you get babies with both high melee & health.  Then, once you have a male/female pair with the best stats, you can breed them until you get a mutant with even better stats.  Keep stacking the mutations and you can get tames that are silly powerful. A strong level 150 rex might tame out at what, 11k health & 325 melee, right? The best rex eggs on official hatch out at 35k health and 1400 melee, IIRC.  

8 hours ago, SunWukong said:

Hi there I'm new to ark and wanted to know if dinos hatched from eggs are stronger then dinos caught matured?

Or s it just an imprint bonus. I want to breed I'm on a private boosted server so time is not an issue.

I read that there is no need to imprint when breeding as it has no effect. So if dinos are the same other then that then I may as well just catch mature dinos.

1) Dino's hatched from eggs are potentially stronger than wild tames depending on the levels and specific stats of their parents. If you mate a pair of Lvl 100 dinos then chances are their offspring is not going to be better than a Lvl 150 wild that you tame, but they will probably be better than a wild Lvl 110 and maybe even better than a wild Lvl 115-120 depending on your luck. On the other hand, if you mate a pair of Lvl 150's then most of the time their offspring will be stronger when any wild 150 that you tame.

If you really want to understand the taming process there are some good videos on youtube that will teach you everything you could possibly want to know about breeding, and they'll explain them better than a few posts here on the forums because the people who made the videos took the time to create a good tutorial.

Personally, I recommend the 6-part series by Timmy Carbine. Over the years I've watched videos from multiple people, but for someone who's just starting to learn about breeding I think his are the best. By the time you're done watching his videos I can 99% guarantee you'll understand everything you want to know about breeding (including mutations). Watching his tutorials is a much more efficient use of your time than if you have to come back to the forums multiple times. Of course I'm not trying to discourage you from asking questions, helping each other is what the forums are for, but the best help I can give you is to suggest that you watch Timmy's videoes.

2) Imprinting only matters if it's an animal that you're going to take out of your base and actually use for something.

If you do PvP then it might matter if your base gets raided because imprinted animals get more HP, which means it takes longer for raiders to kill the animals in your base. But honestly even then it mostly doesn't matter because most of the time raiders are attacking while you're offline so they have as much time as they need to kill your tames at their leisure.

Other than that PvP scenario, you never need to bother with imprinting unless it's going to be an animal that you take out of your base and use during your game time. If you're only breeding an animal to see what stats you can get and then use that animal for further breeding then don't bother imprinting it since you'll never get any benefits from the imprint bonus. The thing to remember is that imprinting is not inherited, any bonuses you get from imprinting do not get handed down to the offspring so if you don't take that dino out into the wild then imprinting was a waste of time.

43 minutes ago, Dreadcthulhu said:

Breeding is very important in getting dinos that are much stronger than anything you can wild tame. Wild dinos of the same level will have different stat figures - one level 150 rex might have a ton of points in health, another have lots of points in melee, and a third in something useless for a rex, like food. Breeding lets you get babies with both high melee & health.  Then, once you have a male/female pair with the best stats, you can breed them until you get a mutant with even better stats.  Keep stacking the mutations and you can get tames that are silly powerful. A strong level 150 rex might tame out at what, 11k health & 325 melee, right? The best rex eggs on official hatch out at 35k health and 1400 melee, IIRC.  

Rex health is 45k+. To the point, this is why mutation breeding is important. You don't want to get into a fight with xyz dino that is tamed vs one that has been mutation bred, especially for any amount of time. There are dino's that have been mutation bred for 6 years and are capped in their respective important stat(s) and can not be further mutated. That's a lot of the reason things are also a bit stagnant and Gen 2 should be refreshing as we get new dino's to tame and mutate.

Check Youtube and Reddit as there are TONS of resources to explain mutation breeding, how to do it, it's value, etc. And good luck!

On 5/24/2021 at 6:11 AM, SunWukong said:

Hi there I'm new to ark and wanted to know if dinos hatched from eggs are stronger then dinos caught matured? Or s it just an imprint bonus. I want to breed I'm on a private boosted server so time is not an issue. I read that there is no need to imprint when breeding as it has no effect. So if dinos are the same other then that then I may as well just catch mature dinos. Thank you guys In advance.

The idea is to catch two different mature tames, then breed them together to get the best stats possible. Wild creatures will have different stats.....sometimes good stats.....say you want a argy that you want to help haul metal long distances.....Find one argy with high weight, then another with high stamina....breed them together and with enough luck, you will get a baby argy with both those stats. This would make that argy much better than its mother or its father, and then you can use that argy to make a whole line of "pack mule" argies.

The next process if you want to shortcut the breeding program is to imprint. Imprinting boosts all stats, depending on how good of a job you do while imprinting. I think you get a 20% bonus to all stats and an additional 30% to health and melee while ridden by whoever imprinted. 

The last method to breeding is mutations, and is the long road, but most profitable. First off, get a set, then breed for their stats. Once the offspring hold the perfect stats, start breeding the perfect offspring until you get a mutation in the stats you want. {Im doing a rex line, Iv gotten both health and melee mutations, and will keep doing so untill Im no longer allowed any mutations in future offspring.} Keep doing this over and over again, no imprinting to keep information on previous generations true, and cull the parental line with the good mutations you want to keep in future lines.
Once your ready for the final product, THEN imprint and get that last boost. You will have a masterpiece on your hands. But don't let the parental line die out, just in case you try to go after something over your head. Like a dodorex, or something equivalently dangerouse. 

On 5/24/2021 at 2:55 PM, Larkfields said:

if someone else rides the dino, the stat boost won't apply.

Stat boost (extra health, melee, speed and such) applies regardless, no matter who's riding and if the dino is ridden at all. It's the up-to-30% damage and defense status effect that only appears if the dino is ridden by its imprinter.

Wizard03 nailed it: There are three distinct issues, one being stats, and the other being bonus cause you raised the baby and the last being mutations.

In terms of Stats it is perfectly feasible to mate two wild dinos until you come out with a child that comes out with the best of ma and pa. And that might be good enough to take most things.

In terms of Imprinting - yes it has NO effect on the children of imprinted dinos. Only applicable to the imprinted dino. So when you get a baby that you think you are going to go into war with then imprint it - otherwise don't bother.

For mutations - I dunno - there are a million conversations around stat this and level that. For my part I took a couple of wild wyvrens (off of Rag), bred them to get Pa melee and Ma health in the baby and was OK to utterly mess up the Alpha Manticore on Scorched. In one shot. So again I dunno about mutations .... Maybe they are more for boasting rights that requirements.

Busy having a go at some of the Island bosses with the same strategy and may comment in some days around the success or failure of that.

(Running on Private pvp server(s) with Official Small Tribes settings - no mods)

Archived