question about the carnotaur ^.^

geriko521

1 hour ago, geriko521 said:

Why the f*ck does the carnotaur follow the yuty like he's part of their pack? but above all for what f*cking reason is it on the snow biome when its remains were found in Argentina where I think it was indescribably hot considering that at the winter poles it was maximum 14 ° C? 

very realistic game, good job!

Why are you so bothered by this?

I would love for Ark to ditch the Halo stuff, fantasy creatures and janky tech and be more aligned with the fossil record, but I also know that it evolved into a fantasy/sci-fi game for a reason - more people than me think it is cool.  Regardless, I can't imagine myself getting as worked up as the OP on this.

For the OP though, while I have never made a custom server, I hear that you can essentially set the rules to shape it to be exactly how you want.  With some mods, modding and scripts, you might be able to fulfill your with for carnos to spawn only where you want (not an opinion based on experience, only intuitions).

With regards to why carnos would follow Yutys, keep in mind that many of the creatures have different functions, abilities, buffs, etc: it gives them a role, incentive to tame them to use for specific situations and some more personality.  While we don't have any evidence of carnos admiring yutys, we also wouldn't likely be able to tame rexes and joust off of the back of them: and if you can't do that in Ark, why does the game even exist?

5 hours ago, Thyme said:

Helena's exlorer notes call out the fact theres rexes in the snow too. Nothing about arks ecosystem makes sense, its all artificial.

many things on the island map are similar to reality or are they based on real facts a stupid example? fish live in the water they do not fly, wolves run in packs and so on. yes ok the game is partly science fiction or call it what you want but since many things seem to me based on real facts it seemed a stupid and annoying thing to have to face groups of carnotaurs to tame a yuty. in any case it will surely be an impossible thing for me to tame a yuty after all I have not finished ragnarok and extinction (irony)

being great programmers those who developed this game I imagine a scenario like .. intelligent programmer: hey I have set the attack and the defense of the yuty slightly lower than it should otherwise it would be on par with a rex or a spinosaurus but so it is too weak what do I do? I can't change the stats of the other dinosaurs otherwise it would be too hard work! superior (also intelligent): add some carnotaurs so he does not die (not thinking about the difficulties that this choice could cause) intelligent programmer: done!

You don't need anything from extinction or any other expansion map to tame a Yuty. I've tamed several myself with nothing but a flyer & a good trap. Just set up a basic stone doorway & ramps trap up in the north, and just your flyer to kite the yuty and his carno buddies up the ramps.  Then use a crossbow to dispose of the carnos before tranqing the yuty. I like to use pillars to build an elevated platform I can park myself & bird on next to the trap; keeps direwolves from sneaking up on me.  Wood spike walls are also handy to throw around once you have the yuty napping. 

25 minutes ago, Joebl0w13 said:

And most things are not based on reality.

I don't think so, many dinosaurs and their behaviors are based on real facts the carnotaurs that follow the yuty are one of the few exceptions and that's why I say: since many things seem to me based on real facts etc .. it's not difficult to understand. what I'm saying is that in my opinion it's a stupid and boring thing to have to face groups of carnotaurs to tame a yuty. just this. then everyone can think as they want. I'm not a hitler, it's just my thinking and my criticism.

12 minutes ago, Dreadcthulhu said:

You don't need anything from extinction or any other expansion map to tame a Yuty. I've tamed several myself with nothing but a flyer & a good trap. Just set up a basic stone doorway & ramps trap up in the north, and just your flyer to kite the yuty and his carno buddies up the ramps.  Then use a crossbow to dispose of the carnos before tranqing the yuty. I like to use pillars to build an elevated platform I can park myself & bird on next to the trap; keeps direwolves from sneaking up on me.  Wood spike walls are also handy to throw around once you have the yuty napping. 

surely if i said i finished ragnarok and extinction i am not here asking how i can tame a yuty. maybe you need to re-read the discussion to better understand what we are talking about.

9 hours ago, geriko521 said:

Why the f*ck does the carnotaur follow the yuty like he's part of their pack?

Because it's a game, not a documentary.

Even more important, it's not a game about historical dinosaurs, it's a game in a science fiction setting. You know what fiction is, right?

when its remains were found in Argentina where I think it was indescribably hot considering that at the winter poles it was maximum 14 ° C?

Its remains were found in Argentina, but where it lived (when it was, you know, actually alive) was in southern Gondwana, which is much closer to present day Antarctica than modern day Argentina is located.

Furthermore, this was smack in the middle of the time period when the Andes mountains were rising which means it's entirely possible that much of the area where carnos lived included steep, rocky, snowy terrain or at least terrain that was subject to extreme cold for parts of the year.

If you're going to try to argue about realism then it's pretty darned silly to talk about the modern day location in Argentina where the fossil was discovered when that has nothing at all to do with where they really lived at the time.

Facts, get some.

very realistic game, good job!

You're playing a game in which humans tame and ride dinosaurs, you don't ever get to make complaints based on realism. You gave up that argument the instant you tamed your first dino.

5 hours ago, maxplanck58 said:

but I also know that it evolved into a fantasy/sci-fi game for a reason - more people than me think it is cool.

It didn't evolve into that, it was always that right from day one, it has always been built into the fundamental concept of the game.

* Every character that has ever been created in this game has had an implant of unknown origin embedded in their arm. Science fiction from Day 1.

* The Island has technological obelisks and supply drops that come down from the sky from unknown origin and for unknown reasons. Science fiction from Day 1.

While it's true that the original species in the game were all roughly based on historical dinosaurs it has always been less "The Land That Time Forgot" and more "Future Science Fiction with Dinosaurs".

Anyone who created a character with an implant living on an island with sci-fi obelisks and techo-beacons who thought this was anything other than a science fiction game was just fooling themselves or completely clueless.

4 hours ago, geriko521 said:

and this is why developers miss out on making at least three times as much money as they could. add some other dragon or flying elephant instead of thinking about listening to some positive criticism;)

So you think that a game which has made over a billion dollars in gross sales isn't as smart as you. Really looking forward to the 3-billion dollar game that you publish.

3 hours ago, geriko521 said:

many things on the island map are similar to reality or are they based on real facts a stupid example? fish live in the water they do not fly, wolves run in packs and so on. yes ok the game is partly science fiction or call it what you want but since many things seem to me based on real facts it seemed a stupid and annoying thing to have to face groups of carnotaurs to tame a yuty.

It's not stupid at all, you're just mad because you haven't figured out how to tame a yuty yet. This is a classic case of "get gud".

3 hours ago, geriko521 said:

in any case it will surely be an impossible thing for me to tame a yuty after all I have not finished ragnarok and extinction (irony)

Anyone who's good at the game can tame yuty's on The Island without ever setting foot on any other map. The real problem here is you haven't bothered to learn how to play the game and you want someone to just drop a yuty into your lap. All you need is a good argy and a good rifle to easily take care of those carno's.

You can kill the carno's and then lure the yuty into a trap, or you can lure the yuty into a trap along with the carnos and then shoot the carnos until only the yuty is left.

It's really not that hard, you just have to be smarter than the carno's, that's why we survivors have big human brains.

2 hours ago, geriko521 said:

I don't think so, many dinosaurs and their behaviors are based on real facts

No, they really, really aren't. Other than the fact that they're classified as herbivores, carnivores or omnivores, there's practically nothing about the dino's or the game environment that are even remotely close to any form of realism.

The entire ecology of the ARKs is wrong, from the proximity and clear boundaries between the biomes, to the entirely wrong numerical balance between predator and prey species, to the facts that animals that lived millions of years apart are sharing a habitat, to the fact that human beings live with and tame dinos. The whole game, from beginning to end, from top to bottom, is based an 99% imagination and 1% pseudo-historical dino stuff.

based on real facts the carnotaurs that follow the yuty are one of the few exceptions

Absolutely not. You're just ignoring all of the many, many things about this game that make it obviously not realistic and obviously not historical because it's convenient for your tantrum. If you think the game is mostly based on real facts then you have a bizarre idea of what the facts are.

it's not difficult to understand.

You're right, it's not, and yet you keep not understanding despite multiple people demonstrating why your argument is broken.

what I'm saying is that in my opinion it's a stupid and boring thing to have to face groups of carnotaurs to tame a yuty. just this. then everyone can think as they want. I'm not a hitler, it's just my thinking and my criticism.

You have every right to dislike it, no one's saying that you have to like that decision.

But you have zero right to dislike it based on anything having to do with realism. This is not a game based on realism, all arguments based on realism mean nothing. You're completely within your rights to dislike packs of carnos because you find them frustrating, but any argument based on realism is doomed before you say it.

I still think it is funny that people think this was ever a dinosaur game. The fiction behind this dystopian science fiction game is outstanding.

From the very first map, the island... it was always a dystopian science fiction game that sparked the mystery. Most of the gameplay mechanics we just take for granted in other games are part of the fiction of this game? When we 'respawn', it doesn't just have an explanation, it has a purpose in the fiction. The map borders are not just limitations of game code, they are part of the fiction of the ARK. We do not 'learn'... we are downloaded Engrams from 'Something' as part of our purpose... to survive and evolve.

And there were other persons... specimen lines... that came before... they have a rich story we can follow. They left their journals. The Tek or fantastic beasts are not the cause of this game being science fiction... they are the effect of the foundational story that IS science fiction.

And anyone who says that this game would be 'bigger' (ie. more people playing and more copies sold) if it were just fossil record based Dino sim world has yet to show an example to base that on. 

I know... I know... Dinos are your thing. You want us to love it as much as you. But we need more from this gaming relationship.

BCek1GdCMAA0KCD.jpg

Archived