Make Chitin Armour repairable in the backpack.

VidarFeral

Suggestion

Make Chitin Armour repairable in the backpack.
This would give it a purpose for the whole game, rather than just bridging the gap between hide and flak in the early game.
Validation: Given the need for cementing paste, I don't personally find metal much more of value nor harder to gather the chitin so why would you ever use chitin? It's weaker and kind of pointless by mid game.

If it can be repaired in backpack then it's similar to your first heat kit (cloth) and first cold kit (hide). It'd fill a niche for armour on demand without having to go home but still not in the same league of any of the armour sets you can build later (with pretty much the same temp drawbacks).

If balance is a worry, why not make it so it still has to be made in a smithy, but can only be patched up by hand. Still a concern? How about each time you patch it up it loses 20% of its durability until after 5 uses you have to take it back to the smithy and repair it for 80% of it's manufacturing cost?

At the very least, this would still allow it to be very useful roaming armour and make it a go to choice for dealing with caves that contain the spitter bugs (I just use hide in them atm and it feels very out of step with the 'feel' of doing a dungeon).

5 replies to this server topic

Thanks for showing interesting on my opinion, is great to feel valued.

Well, if i am understanding correctly you belive Chitin armour to be worse than what it is, if is the case i believe this conclusion is wrong, i think this amour is being understimated. For all his usefulness and the level of difficult in acquiring and mantaining it, and with alot of tools supporting it like the pliers, some creatures saddles working as a mobile smithy, even if he is worse reggarding the defensive stat comparing with other armours, he is just on the place he should be. On top of that, even if it wasn't the case, the point of a survivor game is that the player should adapt to the situation to survive or thrive, instead of bending the rules to his favour. So even if Chitin armour was indeed out of place, as you believe. The point will be that you should adapt accordingly. Knowing this is even correctly to assume, that would even make sense that something could be out of place on purpose, if it was. Like for example you have something that is "in good place in game" early on, something that is "in in good place in game" later on and something that is "Out of place in game" being in the middle of both. But even if the one in the middle was being difficult to acquire and maintain as the later one, it would still be an option and could be used, and when you don't have acces to the other, you may use it, is just as that, some things doesn't have to makes sense.

Yeah, I carry some around even on non-abb maps and they help. Problem is, that still doesn't really give Chitin a place in the game as, if I can repair smithy gear on the fly, I'm still going to just use flak. Yes, the ingots weigh more and can't be gathered in the field but the durability and armour difference mean it breaks far less and is still worth carting about the mats.

Archived