Basilosaurus army worthless

Voidgoof

• Volunteer Moderator

I once DC'd whilst swimming around on my Basilo that was set to neutral. I DC'd as I was being attacked by 4 sharks. When I managed to relog my Basilo had killed them all.

They generally aren't very good for fighting unmounted, but I guess if they are a crush depth then they are already getting hurt so that's probably why they don't protect anything.

19 minutes ago, Laveyan said:

That'll teach you you use basils, they're really only useful against jellyfish and the tuso. If you want to go kill jellies or the squid then sure use a basil, but for just random roaming around in the ocean don't use basils as they're just too slow and both the plesiosaur and the mosasaur do better damage.

Yeah I had the bright idea of being able overwhelm stuff with shear numbers....the lvl 100 alpha tuso grabbed my one level bary and wouldn’t let go....while the 4 un-ridden basils were playing cards and watching...lol.

The tuso was unexpected, but I “thought” I had enough muscle for any contingency ...except they were on lunch break, unbeknownst to me.

On land....heck, people kill rexs with 40 dimorphs.....at lower depths I guess WC forces you to take bigger and better stuff.

So will the un-ridden basils be the same in the easy sea cave?

Thanks...

12 minutes ago, Voidgoof said:

Yeah I had the bright idea of being able overwhelm stuff with shear numbers....the lvl 100 alpha tuso grabbed my one level bary and wouldn’t let go....while the 4 un-ridden basils were playing cards and watching...lol.

The tuso was unexpected, but I “thought” I had enough muscle for any contingency ...except they were on lunch break, unbeknownst to me.

On land....heck, people kill rexs with 40 dimorphs.....at lower depths I guess WC forces you to take bigger and better stuff.

So will the un-ridden basils be the same in the easy sea cave?

Thanks...

I have done both the underwater caves, including killing alpha mosas and tusos, with a max level, imprinted, good saddled basilosaur. They're decent until you get a tuso. They're slow, yeah, but shock resistance means you never have to worry about anything, so I rode that until I tamed my first tuso, even though i already had two plesios and a mosa. I would have one basil specced all points into movement speed that I rode around on, and if I encountered something, I had a dmg specced basil with me in a cryopod. But yes, they are the same in the underwater cave. There are parts of the cave however,  where they are above crush depth, namely near the surface in the last two rooms. By "easy" I assume you mean the western cave.

Yes the west

45 minutes ago, Fresiki said:

I have done both the underwater caves, including killing alpha mosas and tusos, with a max level, imprinted, good saddled basilosaur. They're decent until you get a tuso. They're slow, yeah, but shock resistance means you never have to worry about anything, so I rode that until I tamed my first tuso, even though i already had two plesios and a mosa. I would have one basil specced all points into movement speed that I rode around on, and if I encountered something, I had a dmg specced basil with me in a cryopod. But yes, they are the same in the underwater cave. There are parts of the cave however,  where they are above crush depth, namely near the surface in the last two rooms. By "easy" I assume you mean the western cave.

Yes the western cave, thanks.....So if you are below crush depth in the cave, the 2nd un-ridden basil is worthless, unless you are in a section above crush depth?  I’ll have to really listen for the basil “pain” whimpers to know then.  It’s a shame that on land you can have a troop of 20 raptors and wreck stuff, but deep in the ocean you really have to have ONE good  basil....the other 19 will just watch the action.

• Volunteer Moderator
2 minutes ago, Voidgoof said:

Yes the west

Yes the western cave, thanks.....So if you are below crush depth in the cave, the 2nd un-ridden basil is worthless, unless you are in a section above crush depth?  I’ll have to really listen for the basil “pain” whimpers to know then.  It’s a shame that on land you can have a troop of 20 raptors and wreck stuff, but deep in the ocean you really have to have ONE good  basil....the other 19 will just watch the action.

Comparing raptors and basilo is like comparing apples and oranges.

Basilo are not designed for fighting. You'd be better off having loads of sharks follow your Basilo.

7 minutes ago, GP said:

Comparing raptors and basilo is like comparing apples and oranges.

Basilo are not designed for fighting. You'd be better off having loads of sharks follow your Basilo.

Are you saying basilo are designed simply as a biotoxin gatherer then?  I hadn’t thought of it that way .... like an anklo isn’t a fighter either.  Hmm....interesting.  

So one strong basil vs a alpha tuso, and a pack of something...one of which will get killed after grabbed....I’ve got several barys so I guess at least one will be sacrificed.  Thx

What specs for health stamina and mobility

1 hour ago, Fresiki said:

May I ask if you recall what your health, stam, and speed was for the traveling basil, vs the health, stam, and melee for the strong melee basil?  Thanks...at least I have enough that I can have a whole bunch of specialized basils...

16 hours ago, GrumpyBear said:

I just crushed every alpha and both water caves on island w/ a basilo w/ 55k hp / 1300md .  No mate boost, just me and my basilo.

I used to farm the east cave daily, but the server I'm currently on is tough. A 60k hp basil with apprentice saddle won't get you past the first room.  I just gave up and started fishing instead.

On 5/8/2021 at 2:46 PM, Voidgoof said:

Bred up some decent Basils and then found out they won’t even protect themselves or me in water deep enough for crush damage.  Oops....not sure why this is a “thing,” but you can’t even bring a group on follow for protection.

Basils can be good, but Iv found that untill you get them up to 50k health and 500 melee, its kinda dicey. Even then, do not dismount or you will regret it. 
However if you was to add a shark crew with your basil, well. You may not be able to take down an alpha squid or mosa, but alpha sharks, meat runs, oil runs against other basils.....yeah, its a force to be reckoned with.

Typically on the water cave, even when I was online, you have GOT to get that basil over 50k health and 750 melee, if not 800 melee....You will have to slowly enter the cave, kill the first wave of critters, stop, eat all the fish and raw meat, then move on after force feeding/healing, then deal with the next wave......wash rinse repeat. and keep an eye on the alpha creatures. Everytime an alpha pops in on you, they will bring any other creature in sight to help kill you. If there is too much try to hit you all at once, don't forget that you can run away before they get to you. But you better make the call before they ball up all around you. If they do, the only way out is to fight.

On 5/8/2021 at 3:10 PM, Voidgoof said:

Are you saying basilo are designed simply as a biotoxin gatherer then?  I hadn’t thought of it that way .... like an anklo isn’t a fighter either.  Hmm....interesting.  

So one strong basil vs a alpha tuso, and a pack of something...one of which will get killed after grabbed....I’ve got several barys so I guess at least one will be sacrificed.  Thx

Take some nice bred anky to a boss, you'll be pleasantly surprised 

4 hours ago, d1nk said:

Take some nice bred anky to a boss, you'll be pleasantly surprised 

Im actually suprised no one has tried that to be honest......with high level ankies easy enough to find, bred, get ascension saddles, and their ability to eat sweet veggie cake, Id fathom an anky army would be able to take on the brood mother, maybe even the megapithicus.....Id doubt the dragon tho, but might be spectacular. XD

On 5/11/2021 at 5:34 PM, wizard03 said:

Im actually suprised no one has tried that to be honest......with high level ankies easy enough to find, bred, get ascension saddles, and their ability to eat sweet veggie cake, Id fathom an anky army would be able to take on the brood mother, maybe even the megapithicus.....Id doubt the dragon tho, but might be spectacular. XD

It has been done, many times! I've seen various videos and we did it personally when the bosses came out 2.0, before mutations my friend had a line of 350+ born ankies (way back when breed times were quadruple and imprints weren't ez mode AND degraded if you missed any xD) i feel like saying "ok boomer" to myself 

Theyre awesome!!

Try a squad of penguins.  I read a few posts about it, raised up a fleet and tried it out.  It is pretty amazing.  As I once saw quoted somewhere else, you happen upon an alpha meg and after seconds your penguin swarm will reduce it to a very surprised looking skeleton.  That is the greatest thing I have seen in 5 years of Ark.

On 5/13/2021 at 4:57 PM, d1nk said:

It has been done, many times! I've seen various videos and we did it personally when the bosses came out 2.0, before mutations my friend had a line of 350+ born ankies (way back when breed times were quadruple and imprints weren't ez mode AND degraded if you missed any xD) i feel like saying "ok boomer" to myself 

Theyre awesome!!

Ok...so if I wanted to kill a tuso (not simply tame) should I have some disposable turtles attack first, so it grabs that....and then have the my barys and my ridden basil attack it?  I don’t want to automatically lose a bred bary because the tuso grabs and won’t let go.

thanks.

12 hours ago, Voidgoof said:

Ok...so if I wanted to kill a tuso (not simply tame) should I have some disposable turtles attack first, so it grabs that....and then have the my barys and my ridden basil attack it?  I don’t want to automatically lose a bred bary because the tuso grabs and won’t let go. thanks.

I supose that could work, but honestly you could just smash it with a basil

On 5/10/2021 at 3:07 AM, wizard03 said:

Basils can be good, but Iv found that untill you get them up to 50k health and 500 melee, its kinda dicey. Even then, do not dismount or you will regret it. 
However if you was to add a shark crew with your basil, well. You may not be able to take down an alpha squid or mosa, but alpha sharks, meat runs, oil runs against other basils.....yeah, its a force to be reckoned with.

Typically on the water cave, even when I was online, you have GOT to get that basil over 50k health and 750 melee, if not 800 melee....You will have to slowly enter the cave, kill the first wave of critters, stop, eat all the fish and raw meat, then move on after force feeding/healing, then deal with the next wave......wash rinse repeat. and keep an eye on the alpha creatures. Everytime an alpha pops in on you, they will bring any other creature in sight to help kill you. If there is too much try to hit you all at once, don't forget that you can run away before they get to you. But you better make the call before they ball up all around you. If they do, the only way out is to fight.

i just lure everything i can on me, pve official line but its already outdated

was this your video??  Your basil has 3000% melee damage.....yikes.....Mine aren’t anywhere near that!

Mr. Bert....I have found unridden basils will not attack, but just sit there doing nothing because they are taking depth damage.....I didn’t see your other Basil kill anything....so is this true....did your other basil just watch the action? Thanks.

7 hours ago, BertNoobians said:

i just lure everything i can on me, pve official line but its already outdated

6 hours ago, Voidgoof said:

was this your video??  Your basil has 3000% melee damage.....yikes.....Mine aren’t anywhere near that!

Mr. Bert....I have found unridden basils will not attack, but just sit there doing nothing because they are taking depth damage.....I didn’t see your other Basil kill anything....so is this true....did your other basil just watch the action? Thanks.

yes this was my video. with this high base melee i level many basilo with speed only and they can still do watercaves and very fun to use in open ocean, very fast! no mosa is as strong as this basilo line because they are to far behind in mutations. and the tuso is bugged in high ping, wont deal much damage then. in 150 server ping, the basilo is even stronger then the highest tuso breed lines.

i have that basilo with me to mateboost me, mateboost means 1.33x less incoming damage and 1.33 more damage done for me.

basilo do indeed nothing in crushdepth. but if they do help, the help is often pretty bad as it will mostly swim circles. this is the same for all water animals.
and there is a bug, if the water dino is not on follow and it is on neutral, it can suddenly decide to swim away to render range. so always keep them on follow !
and no it is not going after wild dinos, it somehow looses interest to fight and leaves.

4 hours ago, BertNoobians said:

basilo do indeed nothing in crushdepth. but if they do help, the help is often pretty bad as it will mostly swim circles. this is the same for all water animals.
and there is a bug, if the water dino is not on follow and it is on neutral, it can suddenly decide to swim away to render range. so always keep them on follow !
and no it is not going after wild dinos, it somehow looses interest to fight and leaves.

We noticed megalodons swimming off in the same manner on beginner servers.  I would suspect that all water tames might behave like this.

13 minutes ago, GrumpyBear said:

We noticed megalodons swimming off in the same manner on beginner servers.  I would suspect that all water tames might behave like this.

Thanks....That’s good know stuff just swimming off....and to Bert, that is a good point about mate boost....so a mate to tank, and then another ridden with high melee...that was on official?   That basil must have 20,000 mutations...wow awesome.

Archived