Disabling uploads/transfers without notice needs to STOP.

DirtyPop84

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, Firebaall said:

I agree with that, if the reasons are to catch cheaters unaware.

Well, as I said, that's one of the reasons. Even if that wasn't true the other major reasons is to respond to bugs (or server problems) and that would still make it necessary to disable transfers without notice. No matter how you look at it, it's necessary that they be able to freeze transfers whenever it's necessary to do so.

They know it's necessary, you & I should know it's necessary, we know that they know it's necessary, and that's why the right answer is to freeze the timers. This is something they simply need to do some times, and it behooves them to do it in a more customer-friendly manner, by freezing the timers.

The problem is, they are making legitimate players suffer, and that's not acceptable.

Agreed. It's necessary to do (and specifically necessary to do without giving notice), but they're doing it the wrong way.

IMO, pausing 24 timer is the least they can do.  The least they should do.

Agreed.

I'm not sure why they even have a 24 hour timer in the first place.  It does nothing to stop duping.  They should retire the timer 100%, and be done with it.

Well, that's really a separate discussion but... yes, it does stop duping every time they freeze transfers.

And they should not retire the timer. It could be argued that the timer should be longer, but from a game design point of view the obelisks aren't supposed to be used for storage, that was never their intent. They're specifically supposed to be used for transferring resources, which in most cases is a nearly immediate process. The only reason they last as long as 24 hours is because people often have to log off and take care of real life issues and because there are sometimes game issues that force people to come back at a later time.

42 minutes ago, Joebl0w13 said:

I agree with that. I'm willing to bet they can't do it.

They could. Just like they can change resource multipliers for special events, they could build internal tools that would allow them to change/freeze the timers.

The storage timer is a config entry in the .ini files, it's not that hard to build a tool that will let you change that config on any number of servers. It's not entirely trivial, there's actual work involved in making a tool that does this well, but it's very do-able.

2 minutes ago, Pipinghot said:

And they should not retire the timer. It could be argued that the timer should be longer, but from a game design point of view the obelisks aren't supposed to be used for storage, that was never their intent. They're specifically supposed to be used for transferring resources, which in most cases is a nearly immediate process. The only reason they last as long as 24 hours is because people often have to log off and take care of real life issues and because there are sometimes game issues that force people to come back at a later time.

100% agreed. For example, just imagine having no timer whatsoever on servers like hardcore. This would mean that you can effectively bypass the perma-death aspect of the gamemode by storing characters, goods and creatures.

• Volunteer Moderator
3 minutes ago, Pipinghot said:

They could. Just like they can change resource multipliers for special events, they could build internal tools that would allow them to change/freeze the timers.

Of course they *can. I meant they don't have a mechanism in place now to do it.

And I would bet my house they aren't going to spend a minute on it. There's no ROI in spending any serious development time on Ark 1.

32 minutes ago, Pipinghot said:

I see no issue with removing the timer, personally.

It would go a long way in servicing the playerbase, independent of it's initial intended use.

That being said, pausing the uploads should, and can be done.  Upping the 24 hour limit would also mitigate this.  A 3-day timer (for example) would go a long way in smoothing these instances over.  This is Wildcard's responsibility to correct, especially since customer service refuses to replace items lost in this manner.  

It's a real kick in the teeth, and we deserve better.

18 minutes ago, Joebl0w13 said:

Nice and all...  But updating us when they get their ducks back in a row (and after players suffer losses), isn't enough.

No change with pausing, extending or removing the timers while the transfers are disabled simply means "see you next time", when it enviable happens again.  This bit me last month as well, and here we are....yet again.

1 hour ago, Joebl0w13 said:

Of course they *can. I meant they don't have a mechanism in place now to do it.

And I would bet my house they aren't going to spend a minute on it. There's no ROI in spending any serious development time on Ark 1.

Maybe their team is not set up the way to take these kind of operations into aspect..
Maybe their teams arent set up the way progress like this, should be taken into their "working-order"...
But why in the world wouldnt it pay off in the long term, if they do it, they can take it into their working-order, for Ark 2. They will find themselfes (actually us, the players) at the same point of questioning again if they dont. But any interest into any kind of this kind of development, only seems like a waste of time...

They are disgusting!
Its the same crap every time!
Why dont they sell the rights to a real company that can actually fix this the way it should be fixed!
They think they can just step over problems like this every time! Like I replied before, they dont feel like getting decent solutions for these kind of problems into their way of working things out ever!
I bet they are telling half of their employees tomorrow to draw as many fan art as possible, instead of fixing this problem. Creating fan-art for the fan-base they needed to get where there are, but distancing those same people when they think they are big!
What an idiots!
Oh so much bad luck comming towards them...
Right before Ark 2 is getting ground...
There is no such thing as bad luck, there are only idiotic companies!

Archived