Unique Player Names. It's time...

Firebaall

Ark II needs this.

Heck, it should be introduced into the original Ark as well.

Players hide behind generic/default names, making it difficult to report them.  Tribe names also need some naming enforcement.  Blank names are rampant among cheaters.  Lets get some proper naming conventions/rules in place.  As it is now, hordes of cheaters hide behind the generic default "Human" name.  Confident, customer service reports of abuse go into the "oh well", pile.

On 5/5/2021 at 6:35 PM, Firebaall said:

Players hide behind generic/default names, making it difficult to report them.  Tribe names also need some naming enforcement.  Blank names are rampant among cheaters.  Lets get some proper naming conventions/rules in place.  As it is now, hordes of cheaters hide behind the generic default "Human" name.  Confident, customer service reports of abuse go into the "oh well", pile.

There are several reason I would like to know who somebody is to adress them, but then again I do NOT want to!

There is an option to show a players Id, you can get the steam-account name. It is useless to make toon names in Ark unique, because its hardly possible to manage that. I can make new characters over and over and over again. If you lock names, I can make a hundred or thousand characters, store them in limbo. And everyone will have to name their toon Bob1234567890. Then again. I cheat, rename my tribe, make a new toon and you are with empty hands.

Again you can toggle account-names to show in chat. But if the cheater will never make use of the chat. You cannot ever identify the player. Account names could show up along with the same info as tribe and player info, when looking at a dino-or building from that tribe/player.

There is where the problem will be. 

There are 2 sides on this. Protecting players on both ends of the line...
And I do NOT want to go to the player/person identification. If you will have to give away personal info,
linking your personal information to steam/epic accounts characters ingame, im going to be very loathed.
Online, I just want to be somebody, playing a game...

So, you can get account information from chats, but thats limited to people who use chats, 
Make multiple characters, tribes. Character id could be added, also showing along player/tribe info,
But that only limits certain behavoir. If you have a tribe of griefers, whos going to know who builded in those spawnblockers?
You are going to take the whole tribe accounted for 1 cheater?

I think the battle against cheating is day to day, situation depending Admin/Dev work.
Its a never-ending battle, even if you go all the way and link personal identification info.
Hence you can have multiple google/microsoft accounts and they are trying to do that for decades.

---
Maybe a good option is to have an in-game build in report-situation/player/building function.
That is also made to recognize certain areas/construction-types or other cheating-sensitive things. 
So devs get the info and can seek out CoC violations for themselfes.
When making a report, you also send in your own player/acc info, to prevent harrasing, and info on the "suposed" violator(s)

---

On 5/20/2021 at 3:48 PM, Tylanater said:

Even aside from cheaters, having half the community named 123, tribe of 123,  with steam name 123 is just lame.

No problem for me  (i have hard time to see other players names even standing in front of him  and he stand still) but spamming chat all day with squares is  a problem as it make impossible to communicate.

We need international servers  with general chat in English and ability to place squares in tribe chat or in private messages.

We also need ability to ignore/hide players in chat because of their bad behavior in chat.

2 hours ago, Noa said:

No problem for me  (i have hard time to see other players names even standing in front of him  and he stand still) but spamming chat all day with squares is  a problem as it make impossible to communicate.

We need international servers  with general chat in English and ability to place squares in tribe chat or in private messages.

We also need ability to ignore/hide players in chat because of their bad behavior in chat.

Those squares a different languages not loading on your client

7 hours ago, Mrigank said:

Those squares a different languages not loading on your client

When you travel in other country you usually attempt to adapt to that country and do not pretend that all talk in your native language.

We should have this rule in Ark too. And then to not feel right to form an alliance to talk  with mates from your country or in tribe or even  in local chat or talk with tem in private on discord but using general chat is a mater of bad behavior.

For that i suggested ignore/hide players in general chat function. 

eh i don't really need more oversight applied to me on how i use my software. i have run a cluster for years on my own hardware for alot of my friends and a few new friends.  I don't need a third party authentication server.  people want so hard for this to be a mmo but it is not.  the official servers are offered as a free of charge service since the game and software itself is perfectly capable of running without it.  if they want to add some sort of special back end on their official servers to force these changes, fine.  i just know wildcard's track record when it comes to negatively affecting perfectly fine systems just to fix a niche problem.

On 6/8/2021 at 6:47 AM, MasterChief117 said:

People make them self called human because they don't want to be known if they raid someones base. That's the entire reason behind it, some may use it for cheating but cheating players is a very small amount of people. You can't just ban people for having the same name.

We know the reason for it, the point is it's lame to be able to transfer and raid with no consequences. Your actions should have consequences. No one is saying to ban everyone using the same names, we're saying to make it so every person has to have a unique name.

I dont like the idea of having unique nicknames, because there is so many players in the game, and it doesnt feel nice when you try to make your character, but the name you want is already taken :/ But idea of having some kind of ID bound to that nickname which would be unique sounds very good to me. Same with the tribe name, should have an ID as well once it created. 

There are a thousand ways to deal with adequate reports, there are some as simple as having a log in the pause menu or accessible from inventory with "suffered x damage", "I killed myself x", "x is close or has been detected".
Then right click on "x" and report with the necessary info.

If they added account profiles (which I suggested in another thread), where to see things like achievements, death rates, trophies and more info that anyone could logically expose together, to their unique identifier that can be linked to character or account, it gives Likewise, then you will know support with that ID to which it is related.

What's more, I don't know how they allow a multiplayer game on different platforms without a wrong reporting method, I suppose that it will only happen on PC and on platforms like Microsoft and other consoles if it will be possible to show an identifier because I think it is something mandatory in terms of regulations. privacy and security in different countries.

The only negative thing is that blocking a player, being the way the servers are, would not prevent negative interaction: /, but maybe this way if it prevented follow-up or various chases if there were profiles.

These profiles should also go with the possibility of putting language information linked to specific servers of X language to have less communication problems and toxic players from x countries, being able to report them much more easily.

With all this ... you could continue using a generic name, but you could hide data in PVP but continue to be reported for persecutory or degrading attitudes even without knowing your account name. The information of the profiles could only be visible in the face of support in their reports (which could give you a report ID to provide more information and evidence). 

Archived