I want to tame a giga by staying on top of a massive cliff will this work?

Badatark420

I wanna tame a giga, i have all the resources required to tame up to level 300 will satying on top of a high hill work? Im thinking ofstaying on top of a mountain (fars peak) and tranqing from above but i have spent hours grinding resources. Will this method work as i dont have a quetzal i do have a ptero and a low level rex as well as a lvl 110 spino? I really want a giga

1 hour ago, Badatark420 said:

I wanna tame a giga, i have all the resources required to tame up to level 300 will satying on top of a high hill work? Im thinking ofstaying on top of a mountain (fars peak) and tranqing from above but i have spent hours grinding resources. Will this method work as i dont have a quetzal i do have a ptero and a low level rex as well as a lvl 110 spino? I really want a giga

best way of doing a giga is to trap it.....Iv seen em climb impossibly vertical cliffs before to give me a hug. Ontop of that, if you do manage to get it stuck and start to knock it out, it will run away after it figures out it can't get to you. But its a deception.

As far as traps go, stone is able to be destroyed by giga, so you got to go with metal.

You're going to have to trap it.  Either it will walk up the mountain and eat you or it will take enough hits to induce torpor flee and then you'll need to chase it, and they're too fast to chase on almost anything.

Use whatever crossbows you have to knock it out, hopefully you've been killing alpha raptors and carnos and have a few upgraded crossbows.  You'll need several as they will wear out.  Tranq darts or shocking tranq darts are too expensive to use on something with 80k health.

14 hours ago, Badatark420 said:

As others have said, it would not work.

There are plenty of good vidoes on youtube showing ways to tame gigas, it would be a good idea to watch a few of them before you try it.

If you solo tame a giga without a trap it will take more tranqs to get it down because you need to hit every shot or else the torpor will drop, and when you are chasing it down when its fleeing it can be hard to hit it with the right intervals to keep the torpor raising. 

So just build a trap its much easier and cheaper in the end. 

14 hours ago, Badatark420 said:

Will this method work as i dont have a quetzal

I tried the quetzal method once for poopz and giggles, it seems lika good idea cause you have essentially a moving cliff that will not be climbed, but it didn't work out for us. The gigas loose torpor way to quick and move way to fast. Perhaps if you had several quetzals and each of them had a really good driver (my guy was good but with how squirly the gigas are he found it fairly difficult to keep me lined up for shots, maybe grappling hooks would have made the difference tho)

It'll run up the cliff. Or it'll realize it's being tranqed and run away before you make it drop.

Use a trap. Or, if it's a giga that's stuck and you're fairly sure it'll stay stuck, use a flying mount you can stand on (I personally prefer crystal wyverns: fast, easily replaceable, can be used to protect the creature after it's knocked out) - it's better than a cliff: you decide how close you want it to be to the giga, how high, AND if it gets free it won't be able to reach you anyway.

4 minutes ago, sjskdjkfa said:

I tried the quetzal method once for poopz and giggles, it seems lika good idea cause you have essentially a moving cliff that will not be climbed, but it didn't work out for us. The gigas loose torpor way to quick and move way to fast. Perhaps if you had several quetzals and each of them had a really good driver (my guy was good but with how squirly the gigas are he found it fairly difficult to keep me lined up for shots, maybe grappling hooks would have made the difference tho)

I managed to knock a low level giga out from the back of a quetz but it was a terrible experience. When I landed to look at its stats I guess the game was lagging or something cause as I was looking at it, its torpor went from like 75% full to zero in an instant and it stood up and ate me and my quetz. Not good times

• Volunteer Moderator
7 minutes ago, Badatark420 said:

What do i do if sabertooths keep getting stuck in the beartrap do i just kill everything or do i do something else 

You have to kill everything around the trap first and then keep the area clear after dropping the giga. Baby sitting it.

20 hours ago, Domica said:

As I also haven't tried to get a Giga, would a hanging from Argy with a friend fying be possible for shooting? For quetz managed to get it to work.

typically they run away after awhile, can be a serious pain in the rear to chase em down. It really is best to trap them. But there are some really creative giga traps out there, give youtube a quick search and see whats out there. :)

Also, bring 1000+ narco. They wake up QUICK!

Definitively 1000+ narcotics, I highly suggest using biotoxins. As for taming, I would suggest a 5 (not sure 4 are enough) behemoth gates trap (stone is usually good, weekest point is the gate). Use a high damage crossbow/long-neck, wild giga HPs are not at issue at all. Use a very fast dino with a very good saddle and good HPs.. or a player with good armor (1500+) a lot of medial brews (30+), better with some skill points into speed (focal chili is also good alternative) and some luck. if you have genesis you can use pressure plates instead of closing manually the gate behind the beast once it is inside the trap. Try to not allow a rex to pass between gateways, so you will be sure the giga will not escape.

7 hours ago, DodoEmperor said:

Definitively 1000+ narcotics, I highly suggest using biotoxins. As for taming, I would suggest a 5 (not sure 4 are enough) behemoth gates trap (stone is usually good, weekest point is the gate). Use a high damage crossbow/long-neck, wild giga HPs are not at issue at all. Use a very fast dino with a very good saddle and good HPs.. or a player with good armor (1500+) a lot of medial brews (30+), better with some skill points into speed (focal chili is also good alternative) and some luck. if you have genesis you can use pressure plates instead of closing manually the gate behind the beast once it is inside the trap. Try to not allow a rex to pass between gateways, so you will be sure the giga will not escape.

4 is good enough, but its best to use them on flatish ground, doing it on nearly verticle surfaces ls tricky. Also in most traps you can get away with a sneaky little gap here n there. This is the one time you do NOT want a gap......if a rex can get through it, so can a giga.

On 5/6/2021 at 8:10 AM, wizard03 said:

typically they run away after awhile, can be a serious pain in the rear to chase em down. It really is best to trap them. But there are some really creative giga traps out there, give youtube a quick search and see whats out there. :)

Also, bring 1000+ narco. They wake up QUICK!

1000 narcs? :) no comment.

Gigas in wild are always low level (as titans)? 

Archived