How to PS4 -> PC?

Zibnewski

Hello!

So I got the full game, all expansions on PS4. Me and my GF has been like obsessed with ARK and we've played A LOT during the pandemic. No need to tell you guys we're excited for Genesis Part 2.

Now I got my GF a pc and we're curious to how the game would be on pc; no tether, full screen for yourself and tons of mods.
But there's no way we're paying over €200 (game+expansions, 2 copies) to buy a game we already own.

Anyone have an idea or suggestion on what to do here? Any expected sales coming up soon? Do we get all structures if we buy base game + genesis pass?

Or should we just settle with playing on console?

• Volunteer Moderator
5 minutes ago, Zibnewski said:

Any expected sales coming up soon?

Don't quote me on that, but chances are the base game, along with the old DLCs, will be on sale when Genesis Part 2 is officially out. I'm pretty sure all the other launches came with a sale on the old stuff. In any cases, they will likely do a summer sale next month like they did last year. Keep in mind, this is all speculation based on history and nothing is guaranteed.

13 minutes ago, Zibnewski said:

Do we get all structures if we buy base game + genesis pass?

What do you mean by all structures?

13 minutes ago, Zibnewski said:

I can't really give an informed recommendation based on experience because I only ever played on PC, but based on what I saw on these forums over the years I'd say; make the move you won't regret it.

12 minutes ago, invincibleqc said:

Don't quote me on that, but chances are the base game, along with the old DLCs, will be on sale when Genesis Part 2 is officially out. I'm pretty sure all the other launches came with a sale on the old stuff. In any cases, they will likely do a summer sale next month like they did last year. Keep in mind, this is all speculation based on history and nothing is guaranteed.

What do you mean by all structures?

I can't really give an informed recommendation based on experience because I only ever played on PC, but based on what I saw on these forums over the years I'd say; make the move you won't regret it.

Thanks for replying, appreciate it man. We'll keep our cool a little bit longer then. 🙂

With "Structures" I actually meant all craftables that comes with the DLC's, like taxidermy (Ex) or Glider Suit (Ab). Not just Adobe (SE).

• Volunteer Moderator
2 minutes ago, Zibnewski said:

Thanks for replying, appreciate it man. We'll keep our cool a little bit longer then. 🙂

With "Structures" I actually meant all craftables that comes with the DLC's, like taxidermy (Ex) or Glider Suit (Ab). Not just Adobe (SE).

If you play on your own servers, then yes, you can unlock all the engrams and spawn the creatures these DLCs introduces.

55 minutes ago, Zibnewski said:

Hello! So I got the full game, all expansions on PS4. Me and my GF has been like obsessed with ARK and we've played A LOT during the pandemic. No need to tell you guys we're excited for Genesis Part 2. Now I got my GF a pc and we're curious to how the game would be on pc; no tether, full screen for yourself and tons of mods. But there's no way we're paying over €200 (game+expansions, 2 copies) to buy a game we already own. Anyone have an idea or suggestion on what to do here? Any expected sales coming up soon? Do we get all structures if we buy base game + genesis pass? Or should we just settle with playing on console?

Sadly, Im preatty sure you guys will have to buy the game at least once more, but I got some ideas on the matter. First idea is console, but im not sure if you can do it or not.
Turn a PC into a non dedicated server, then use 2 ps4's to hook up to that non dedicated server. You may need to install ark onto the new pc and possibly the new ps4 as well. Do some digging and see if you can install the profile that has already purchased ARK. Sadly if it doesn't work, then you have the same problem on your hands. x.x
If you want to try and do it on just the PC's, you could try and do microsoft store's ark, and get an xbox because you can buy the game once and play on two different systems, especially with the crossplay servers, but the mods is a no go and you will need an xbox as PlayStation does not like crossplay.
The only other option is the one you mentioned, but your probably going to have to wait for a sale to save some coin. =/ 

As for structures, engrams, and any server side settings, if you make a non dedicated server, its all up to you on how you want to set it up, which engrams are unlocked, so forth and so on. Now with that said, I do have some bad news. Unless you stick with PlayStation, all of your current progress will be lost. You will have to start from scratch. 

8 minutes ago, wizard03 said:

Sadly, Im preatty sure you guys will have to buy the game at least once more, but I got some ideas on the matter. First idea is console, but im not sure if you can do it or not.
Turn a PC into a non dedicated server, then use 2 ps4's to hook up to that non dedicated server. You may need to install ark onto the new pc and possibly the new ps4 as well. Do some digging and see if you can install the profile that has already purchased ARK. Sadly if it doesn't work, then you have the same problem on your hands. x.x
If you want to try and do it on just the PC's, you could try and do microsoft store's ark, and get an xbox because you can buy the game once and play on two different systems, especially with the crossplay servers, but the mods is a no go and you will need an xbox as PlayStation does not like crossplay.
The only other option is the one you mentioned, but your probably going to have to wait for a sale to save some coin. =/ 

As for structures, engrams, and any server side settings, if you make a non dedicated server, its all up to you on how you want to set it up, which engrams are unlocked, so forth and so on. Now with that said, I do have some bad news. Unless you stick with PlayStation, all of your current progress will be lost. You will have to start from scratch. 

Good insights and out-of-the-box ideas. I'll take a closer look at the different options here. Thanks!

1 minute ago, Zibnewski said:

Good insights and out-of-the-box ideas. I'll take a closer look at the different options here. Thanks!

Best I could come up with.....Microsoft is trying to tear down that "console or PC" wall. Hopefully one day we will be able to buy a game on one system, then play them on absolutely anything, but for now, the closest thing we go is the Microsoft store where you can buy something and then go to PC for the best framerate and graphics, or the console for an easy and casual gaming experience. Heck, maybe even smartphones later on, for gaming on the go or whenever.
Hopefully PlayStation will follow suit one day, perhaps even Nintendo. But as for the here and now, everyone is still kinda stuck in their "our games, our players, no interaction with the outside world, period" beliefs. Because of that, you will only be allowed to buy games for mostly one device and must buy it all over again to move to different devices....The only exception currently to this rule is the microsoft store. =/

29 minutes ago, wizard03 said:

Best I could come up with.....Microsoft is trying to tear down that "console or PC" wall. Hopefully one day we will be able to buy a game on one system, then play them on absolutely anything, but for now, the closest thing we go is the Microsoft store where you can buy something and then go to PC for the best framerate and graphics, or the console for an easy and casual gaming experience. Heck, maybe even smartphones later on, for gaming on the go or whenever.
Hopefully PlayStation will follow suit one day, perhaps even Nintendo. But as for the here and now, everyone is still kinda stuck in their "our games, our players, no interaction with the outside world, period" beliefs. Because of that, you will only be allowed to buy games for mostly one device and must buy it all over again to move to different devices....The only exception currently to this rule is the microsoft store. =/

I just checked out the Microsoft Store and it says a lot of the Ark stuff is included in "Xbox Game Pass Ultimate".
Do you know anything about this? Like, do I have the game as long as that membership lasts? And can I play it on PC if I just get that game pass?

7 minutes ago, Zibnewski said:

I just checked out the Microsoft Store and it says a lot of the Ark stuff is included in "Xbox Game Pass Ultimate".
Do you know anything about this? Like, do I have the game as long as that membership lasts? And can I play it on PC if I just get that game pass?

Iv just gotten it awhile back, still tinkering around with how it works, but Iv had games on it for a couple months now.

What it is, as far as I can tell, is like a hyper extended version of renting out different games, but with only one membership fee instead of individual games.....Iv had mine for over 6 months now, and all the games Iv tried and played on it when I first got it, I can still play on it, so Im guessing your going to get the vanilla version to start with, and then you can purchase the full blown version later when your ready to move on to scorched earth or something.
And I do believe so, once you get game pass on the PC you are allowed access to all the games in its library. 

• Volunteer Moderator
15 minutes ago, Zibnewski said:

Don't forget that, while yes, you can play it on PC, the Win10 version is still the Xbox's one at the end of the day meaning that you would still have all the restrictions you currently do on PS4. So you would really only pay a monthly subscription for a paint job on your current console. Probably better value to pay more upfront and get an upgrade. 🤔

5 minutes ago, invincibleqc said:

Don't forget that, while yes, you can play it on PC, the Win10 version is still the Xbox's one at the end of the day meaning that you would still have all the restrictions you currently do on PS4. So you would really only pay a monthly subscription for a paint job on your current console. Probably better value to pay more upfront and get an upgrade. 🤔

invincibleqc is correct in this regard, the gamepass version on PC is like the one for the console. Its not going to be "the best gaming experience ever" I also pointed out that there is no mod support, so no structures plus or such.
But as for options, thats what I had to offer out of my knowledge.

And we know you love that green glow @invincibleqc ;) 

• Volunteer Moderator
10 minutes ago, wizard03 said:

And we know you love that green glow @invincibleqc ;) 

I mean... if I already had a black toaster, I don't think I would consider paying a monthly subscription to paint it green... I would rather pay more upfront and upgrade to an industrial oven or something. 🤣

Thanks again for your replies guys.

We'll wait and see how the sales look around the time Gen 2 is released. If there's no sale right away, we'll probably start out on PS4 where we already have our progress (and the game/expansions) then see if the Steam summer sale includes ARK. If it doesn't, then I guess we'll consider either the "paint job" or just keep playing on the PS4.

EDIT: ARK 2 isn't that far away either... So eventually we'll move over to PC anyway. 😉

1 minute ago, invincibleqc said:

I mean... if I already had a black toaster, I don't think I would consider paying a monthly subscription to paint it green... I would rather pay more upfront and upgrade to an industrial oven or something. 🤣

Is your PC liquid cooled? And what color is that liquid. 😏

Either way, while I absolutely agree that spending a little extra coin would be best as well as waiting for a sale to hit to get the best bang for the buck, it is rather hard to justify spending money on a game twice in a row. Sadly the only way to get around that is the Microsoft store.

2 minutes ago, Zibnewski said:

EDIT: ARK 2 isn't that far away either... So eventually we'll move over to PC anyway. 😉

Good point man, indeed a very good point. Hopefully by then, other work arounds have been conjured up.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/4/2021 at 2:27 AM, Zibnewski said:

Hello!

So I got the full game, all expansions on PS4. Me and my GF has been like obsessed with ARK and we've played A LOT during the pandemic. No need to tell you guys we're excited for Genesis Part 2.

Now I got my GF a pc and we're curious to how the game would be on pc; no tether, full screen for yourself and tons of mods.
But there's no way we're paying over €200 (game+expansions, 2 copies) to buy a game we already own.

Anyone have an idea or suggestion on what to do here? Any expected sales coming up soon? Do we get all structures if we buy base game + genesis pass?

Im not sure what to do on this app im new how do i buy or rent a server

Archived