Transferring Cryopod with dino between maps gives huge XP boost

CmdrMagic

Has anyone else seen this issue? I tried searching for other reports of this but haven't seen any. Wanted to check if this was a known issue before submitting a bug report.

I play single player (Epic games/no mods). I have had issues transferring dino's with terminals between maps crashing the game, so I started always moving dinos with cryopods. Sometimes when I uncryo a dino after transferring it between maps it gets a huge XP boost, ~80k-100k xp.  It does not happen 100% of the time, but I have had this happen with 10-15 different dinos now.

I believe each time it has happened it has been when I got the dino out on Ragnorak, but I can't say that with 100% certainty. I have moved these dinos between Island, Rag, Scorched Earth, Abberation, and Valegro. The first time I believe I saw was with dinos that originated on Rag, were moved to SE for a boss fight, and then moved back to Rag. Another time I saw was moving a dino that originated on Valegro to Rag. 

Cryopods give their occupants a passive xp trickle. So I'm wondering if you're aware of that, and perhaps confusing that phenomenon with something to do with transferring. But transferring actually can wipe out that xp, you have to unpod and repod all your dinos that have been sitting in storage if you want them to keep their xp on a transfer. But since the pod gives the dinos the xp even if you're offline, it can be quite a boost. On pve where I have excess and don't need any particular dino, I try to pod new tames asap, and toss em in storage, forget em for a few months at least and when i want to use em I get 60-70 free levels.

• Volunteer Moderator

@CmdrMagic @sjskdjkfa This issue is a time issue that affects single-player/non-dedicated sessions. Basically, if the destination map is older than the map it was uploaded from, then it will gain XP for the entire time difference between both. If the difference is greater than the actual charge of your cryopod, then it will simply die on download. On the other hand, if the destination map is younger, then your cryopod won't gain any XP at all regardless if it was frozen already for a while before you uploaded it. To avoid any issues until this is addressed by WC, you should not transfer frozen dinos and should rather upload them in your creatures tab instead unless you play on a dedicated server.

Thank you both for the replies. @sjskdjkfa yes I am aware of passive xp from cryo's and what I am seeing is definitely different. What I am seeing is happening in just a few mins, putting the dino in the cryo, put it in the terminal, switch maps, and take it out. Not long enough for that much boost.

@invincibleqc that makes sense. Thanks. That could definitely be it as my Rag and Island maps are 200-300+ in game days old, when SE was probably less than 50 when I beat the map lol :) 2 questions:

1. The xp boost hasn't happened with every dino that I have moved between servers. Any thoughts on why some get it and some don't?

2. For the cryo timer, do you know how that is calculated? It seems to be 30 days RL timer and not in game timer, so I can't tell how that would be calculated between maps. I was not aware of this risk and thankfully haven't had any die from this so far, and considering the huge age difference between my SE and Rag maps I am surprised that did not happen.

• Volunteer Moderator
42 minutes ago, CmdrMagic said:

1. The xp boost hasn't happened with every dino that I have moved between servers. Any thoughts on why some get it and some don't?

I'm not entirely sure but a lot of thing can be into play here. However, here is a short clip demonstrating the issues and behaviours mentioned above where I transfer a fresh tame from a fresh Ragnarok world, to a few hours old Scorched Earth one, and finally to a very old The Island (an old legacy save):

As you can see, from Ragnarok to Scorched Earth, it gained 15 levels and lost 15 hours worth of charge. Then, from Scorched Earth to The Island it simply died. The game effectively uses the time difference from the previous map and the current one.

42 minutes ago, CmdrMagic said:

2. For the cryo timer, do you know how that is calculated? It seems to be 30 days RL timer and not in game timer, so I can't tell how that would be calculated between maps. I was not aware of this risk and thankfully haven't had any die from this so far, and considering the huge age difference between my SE and Rag maps I am surprised that did not happen.

While yes, it is basically 30 days, it is actually 2,592,000 seconds worth of in-game time. Otherwise, all your frozen tames would die if you don't play the game for a while.

1 hour ago, invincibleqc said:

I'm not entirely sure but a lot of thing can be into play here. However, here is a short clip demonstrating the issues and behaviours mentioned above where I transfer a fresh tame from a fresh Ragnarok world, to a few hours old Scorched Earth one, and finally to a very old The Island (an old legacy save):

As you can see, from Ragnarok to Scorched Earth, it gained 15 levels and lost 15 hours worth of charge. Then, from Scorched Earth to The Island it simply died. The game effectively uses the time difference from the previous map and the current one.

While yes, it is basically 30 days, it is actually 2,592,000 seconds worth of in-game time. Otherwise, all your frozen tames would die if you don't play the game for a while.

Thank you for finding this. I think this is exactly what is happening. It looks like mine haven't died because the age difference between my maps is not large enough. It probably is impacting 100% of the dinos I am doing this with, but maybe I just did not notice the extra xp on the high level dinos. 100k xp to a new tame is obvious. 100k xp to a tame that already has 70 tamed levels is not as noticeable. 

I appreciate your help.

Hello

It’s most definitely a bug, already noted in this post :

On XBox, single player, cryopod a tame, upload it to an obelisk as data, upload character, disconnect, connect to another map, get cryopod back, release it, and the tame gets a lot of new levels, and I mean a lot, like 30, 40 or 50…

I guess it only happens once per tame.

Archived