Jump to content

an open plea to Wildcard to fix Single Player resource respawning


Recommended Posts

For the last threeish years anyone wishing to play on single player found out (after spending countless hours) that if they mined a resource (metal, stone, etc) and either logged out, or crashed before it re-spawned that it would never come back. The alternative is to set the resource respawn to 0.0 so it instantly re-pops to avoid this, but in doing so hopelessly outbalances the game as you give yourself unlimited instant resources this way and alternatively you can't obviously keep track of what you mined and when so you don't over do it.

I myself have put in 8 separate support tickets over the last three years to have ALL of them closed out, and never had this fixed.

There are lots of reasons to play SP vs online like slow or no internet, trolls, and most importantly to me is that it takes 30-40 seconds to render bases which are instantly rendered locally.

 

I'm calling on Wildcard to both finally acknowledge this and to please fix it.

 

 

 

If you play single-player you should reply, or add to this to prevent it being swept under the rug.

 

@Cedric @Jatheish

Edited by ARKinadium
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

I've played single player on Ark before and noticed this problem, then I noticed that it's been a problem since near the start of the game so I was like...yep, just another one of many bugs that wildcard will never fix. I countered this bug by changing the resource respawn rate as you said in your post but still, there are some of us that would like resources to respawn at a normal official rate without having to worry about them never respawning back. It would be nice if wildcard fixed this bug but I don't believe that they ever will.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ARKinadium said:

For the last threeish years anyone wishing to play on single player found out (after spending countless hours) that if they mined a resource (metal, stone, etc) and either logged out, or crashed before it re-spawned that it would never come back. The alternative is to set the resource respawn to 0.0 so it instantly re-pops to avoid this, but in doing so hopelessly outbalances the game as you give yourself unlimited instant resources this way and alternatively you can't obviously keep track of what you mined and when so you don't over do it. I myself have put in 8 separate support tickets over the last three years to have ALL of them closed out, and never had this fixed. There are lots of reasons to play SP vs online like slow or no internet, trolls, and most importantly to me is that it takes 30-40 seconds to render bases which are instantly rendered locally. I'm calling on Wildcard to both finally acknowledge this and to please fix it. If you play single-player you should reply, or add to this to prevent it being swept under the rug.

@Cedric @Jatheish

Ill join in on the calling too......Since Im unable to connect online due to the "hotspot mobile bug" this really hits home here as well as its the only way to play this game at all!

Ontop of that, Id like to add to this as well since the only way I can find any gigas to kill for their heart is to manually spawn them in myself.....seriously guys, if your not going to be supporting PRIMATIVE+, give solo some love!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, XGiga said:

I have had this problem too. I fixed it by changing the server stats in the menu before you enter the game. It is in the advanced options section and called Resource respawn period  or something. I also changed the distance resources can respawn from a foundation. This immediately fixed it. I hope this helps.

you didn't fix it, you implemented the "not a solution" suggested in the original post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I play SP too.  Fixing resource respawns would be fantastic.  If I may piggy-back here and say fixing wild dino respawns would be equally as nice.  It is easy to hunt certain critters or even entire map regions to extinction, never to see them again until you are forced to wipe everthying and start fresh. I went weeks without finding a single thyla on Scorched Earth recently... killed everything in that region over and over again... eventually nothing spawned... dino wiped... and now they are back... for now.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I second this. As someone who doesn't have much time to play, and doesn't want to take up space on a server, single player is really the only way I can enjoy this game. That being said, I've had to implement work-arounds so that I don't have the resource respawn bug not affect me. Be really nice if they took a look at this and saw how to fix it, instead of letting players create the work-arounds. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

About creatures not spawning in single player. AFAIK hibernation is a problem (https://survivetheark.com/index.php?/forums/topic/203535-patch-259-hibernation-single-player-settings/) and player need to use start parameter to disable it and bring back stasis as it is on dedicated servers:

-preventhibernation

I am playing in single player from time to time since early 2016 (I spent in single player almost as much time as I spent on official and unofficial servers together). It took Studio Wildcard almost 2 years (spring 2017) to patch terrible memory leaks in single player, no wonder they not fixed resource respawn bug yet (if they ever gonna fix it when ARK 2 is "near"). I am get used to it - reduced respawn speed and radius from player to ensure resource nodes respawn fast after I move away.

Offtop. I very want supply drops and etc. in single player and non-dedicated server to be as on dedicated server as they were. ("v259.0 ... Transfers can only be done via the obelisk." https://survivetheark.com/index.php?/forums/topic/203535-patch-259-hibernation-single-player-settings/)

While searching for "v259.0..." I suddenly found:"v194.0 ... Harvested resources now properly respawn in singleplayer/non-dedicated host!" - they tried :D .

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

You are 100% mistaken my friend. launching the game with -preventhibernation does not stop this from happening.

If you believe otherwise i encourage you to do the following;

start a new world. mine node. logout. slomo 99 and wait for eternity because it's never coming back.

 

While i believe i tried this in the past, i did exactly that before replying just to make sure they didn't "fix" it.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Volunteer Moderator
2 hours ago, ARKinadium said:

You are 100% mistaken my friend. launching the game with -preventhibernation does not stop this from happening.

That's right, this option is irrelevant here. First, because that option alone is useless as it is only useful in conjunction of the following one:

-dedihibernation

But even then, it is still useless. Basically, using both have the same behaviour as removing -dedihibernation, which is the same behaviour as using -preventhibernation alone, or none at all for that matters. Second, because it do not affect foliage or harvestables; only dinos. Switching back on forth will cause your client to crash, unless you force dinos to respawn (pretty much why you have to do so when using an old save in single-player, etc.) because all three options are used together and different combinations of them will affect the serialization of the save one way or another.

Anyways, I remember poking around this specific issue in the past and I wasn't able to reproduce it on my end:

Tested many scenarios (re-logging, re-rendering, etc.) and metal nodes where always respawning. Perhaps it only affect certain node types on certain maps. But that said, unless someone comes with 100% reproducible steps (platform, OS, map, coords, steps, settings, etc, etc.) I don't think WC will ever put the energy into blindly trying to debug and find the root of this issue. So yeah, try to add as many details as you can, even what you think is irrelevant may not necessarily be and you may increase your chance of them looking into it if they already know in which direction to look.

1 hour ago, wizard03 said:

and can we talk about the artifact of the skylord on the island for secound?

Are you still experiencing issue with it? It was fixed last month according to the patch notes:

On 11/30/2018 at 12:02 AM, StudioWildcard said:

v324.16 - 03/05/2021

  • Made some tweaks to the Artifact system in single-player to resolve some scenarios where some artifacts (such as Skylord) would spawn/respawn unreliably.

At least on PC, perhaps not on consoles as of yet.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ARKinadium said:

You are 100% mistaken my friend. launching the game with -preventhibernation does not stop this from happening.

If you believe otherwise i encourage you to do the following;

start a new world. mine node. logout. slomo 99 and wait for eternity because it's never coming back.

 

While i believe i tried this in the past, i did exactly that before replying just to make sure they didn't "fix" it.

 

 

Are you "answering" to my comment? Because it is under mine without quoting someone else but I wrote -preventhibernation about creatures (re)spawning issue. About resource nodes I wrote that I get used to it with respawn speed and radius settings.

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, invincibleqc said:

That's right, this option is irrelevant here. First, because that option alone is useless as it is only useful in conjunction of the following one:


-dedihibernation

But even then, it is still useless. Basically, using both have the same behaviour as removing -dedihibernation, which is the same behaviour as using -preventhibernation alone, or none at all for that matters. Second, because it do not affect foliage or harvestables; only dinos. Switching back on forth will cause your client to crash, unless you force dinos to respawn (pretty much why you have to do so when using an old save in single-player, etc.) because all three options are used together and different combinations of them will affect the serialization of the save one way or another.

Anyways, I remember poking around this specific issue in the past and I wasn't able to reproduce it on my end:

 

Interesting and strange. Are you very sure about -dedihibernation and all about it? Because since introduction of hibernation, parameter -preventhibernation is helping me and other players that I told to use it to deal with creatures (re)spawn bug in single player (and in Google there are topics about using -preventhibernation). Without -dedihibernation. I even can't find any info about it in Google.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Volunteer Moderator
2 hours ago, Dykis said:

Interesting and strange. Are you very sure about -dedihibernation and all about it? Because since introduction of hibernation, parameter -preventhibernation is helping me and other players that I told to use it to deal with creatures (re)spawn bug in single player (and in Google there are topics about using -preventhibernation). Without -dedihibernation. I even can't find any info about it in Google.

Yes. Here's a simple Python script that reproduces the exact same logic internally used (simplified, for clarity):

def foo(opts):
    bar = '-preventhibernation' not in opts and '-dedihibernation' in opts

    if bar:
        if '-forcerespawndinos' in opts:
            yield 1
        else:
            yield 2

    if not bar or '-forcerespawndinos' in opts:
        yield 3

for opts in [
    '',
    '-dedihibernation',
    '-dedihibernation -forcerespawndinos',
    '-dedihibernation -forcerespawndinos -preventhibernation',
    '-dedihibernation -preventhibernation',
    '-forcerespawndinos',
    '-forcerespawndinos -preventhibernation',
    '-preventhibernation',
]:
    print(f'{opts or "<empty>"}\n\tResult: {", ".join(map(str, foo(opts)))}')

And here are the results:

<empty>
        Result: 3
-dedihibernation
        Result: 2
-dedihibernation -forcerespawndinos
        Result: 1, 3
-dedihibernation -forcerespawndinos -preventhibernation
        Result: 3
-dedihibernation -preventhibernation
        Result: 3
-forcerespawndinos
        Result: 3
-forcerespawndinos -preventhibernation
        Result: 3
-preventhibernation
        Result: 3

Where 1, 2 and 3 are specific blocks of code. As you can see, the only scenarios where the behaviour differs, is when -dedihibernation is set. Either alone, or in combination of -forcerespawndinos. Everything else is the same.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I had the same problem in my first attempt at playing. I played for about a month, at which point I noticed that not only were rocks and metal not respawning in the places where I harvested them, several cells near my base stopped spawning animals. There was a whole swath of land between my first base and my second that was completely devoid of animals, so I wound up starting a new game and being very careful not to mine or hunt too much near my base. I also turned down the respawning of resources so that it would be hard to bug them out in the future.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, invincibleqc said:

Anyways, I remember poking around this specific issue in the past and I wasn't able to reproduce it on my end:

Tested many scenarios (re-logging, re-rendering, etc.) and metal nodes where always respawning. Perhaps it only affect certain node types on certain maps. But that said, unless someone comes with 100% reproducible steps (platform, OS, map, coords, steps, settings, etc, etc.) I don't think WC will ever put the energy into blindly trying to debug and find the root of this issue. So yeah, try to add as many details as you can, even what you think is irrelevant may not necessarily be and you may increase your chance of them looking into it if they already know in which direction to look.

It's Def an issue on the PC and the Island map. Again as stated above it's 100% repeatable.

Start a new map, harvest a node, leave the area and quit (before it spawns back)

Link to post
Share on other sites

say i build a small base by gathering plant stuff, killing a few animals for hide, and gathering stone+flint.

Now, i *think* resources ()on official servers of TheIsland) will eventually respawn the animals, but what about the plants, and what about rocks?

- and if plants/trees/rocks respawn, what if i gathered them from where i build a house?  will they appear inside the house?

- on official TheIsland servers, what time interval to respawn animals?  to respawn  plants+trees? to respawn rocks?

Is there a link to some website that gives me this info?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Volunteer Moderator
7 hours ago, ARKinadium said:

It's Def an issue on the PC and the Island map. Again as stated above it's 100% repeatable.

Start a new map, harvest a node, leave the area and quit (before it spawns back)

Hence why I said you should try to provide more details. This is a scenario I specifically tested at the time in the video provided above, and the nodes did respawn. So, if it is 100% reproducible on your side, that means there is a specific factor that differs between us. Find that factor, and this issue might progress. Compare debugging with a police investigation; if the police does not know where to look, chances are they won't resolve the case. However, if they know which house, or even street or city, then they likely will. Same concept applies here; if WC knows where to look and what specifically causes this issue to occurs they will likely fix it. But if they get the same results as I did, and the nodes respawn for them too with the minimal information provided, then they likely won't. For the same reasons police investigations might not progress until new tips come in because blindly debugging any low-severity issues isn't a smart way to allocate their limited resources. So again, the more details, contexts, etc. you can provide; the better.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Rest2020 said:

say i build a small base by gathering plant stuff, killing a few animals for hide, and gathering stone+flint.

Now, i *think* resources ()on official servers of TheIsland) will eventually respawn the animals, but what about the plants, and what about rocks?

- and if plants/trees/rocks respawn, what if i gathered them from where i build a house?  will they appear inside the house?

- on official TheIsland servers, what time interval to respawn animals?  to respawn  plants+trees? to respawn rocks?

Is there a link to some website that gives me this info?

 

If you are playing on official server... things will (should) respawn in a timely fashion.  If I remember right, Rocks / trees / plants / etc should respawn within about 20-30 minutes as long as you leave the area and don't build on top of it.  Once you build, plants and trees should not grow through the house as it is supposed to kill the spawn point.  However, I have some houses where trees growing outside the house have branches that extend in to the house.

Sometimes animals will respawn as soon as you leave render distance and sometimes it takes a a couple of hours or even longer.  But you have to remember that there are formulas and random chance settings going on behind the scenes... and just because you kill a few terror birds near the redwoods doesn't mean the game will put terror birds back in the same spot.  Different animals might appear.  There are informational videos and things like wiki that explain it much better if you search for it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, invincibleqc said:

Hence why I said you should try to provide more details. This is a scenario I specifically tested at the time in the video provided above, and the nodes did respawn. So, if it is 100% reproducible on your side, that means there is a specific factor that differs between us. Find that factor, and this issue might progress. Compare debugging with a police investigation; if the police does not know where to look, chances are they won't resolve the case. However, if they know which house, or even street or city, then they likely will. Same concept applies here; if WC knows where to look and what specifically causes this issue to occurs they will likely fix it. But if they get the same results as I did, and the nodes respawn for them too with the minimal information provided, then they likely won't. For the same reasons police investigations might not progress until new tips come in because blindly debugging any low-severity issues isn't a smart way to allocate their limited resources. So again, the more details, contexts, etc. you can provide; the better.

 

I just made the above video. If you follow it and metal comes back I will be astounded. This is for PC. It would be amazing since everyone get the same version through the steam pipeline, and again no mods, and the only thing i launch ark with is -nobattleeye

If a couple other PC people can try this, and post your results I would be quite grateful.

 

If you have the metal/or resource to instant pop this will not work, and does not show what i'm trying to prove. I set the respawn to 0.10 which is 5hrs in game and gives you time to pick a node and leave the area before it respawns just like it would if you never touched any setting. It just makes it easier to slomo for 30 seconds and 5 hours in game vs an hour. I also halved the player radius so that i could stay close enough to verify it wasn't coming back.

Edited by ARKinadium
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...