Taming Kibble (for Beginners) from LARGER eggs than normal recipe ?

Rest2020

1 hour ago, Rest2020 said:

As a relative beginner, i need to make some taming kibble but i dont have access to fancy ingredients
- i did come across a LARGE egg, but simple and/or basic kibble needs small or extra-small eggs
- so can i put the SIMPLE ingredients into a pot with a LARGE egg and product SIMPLE kibble ?

no, you gotta have the correct eggs to make a certain kind of kibble. With that said tho, the kibble necisary for tameing a certain creature can be replaced with a kibble a teir above it. So if you wish to tame something that requires simple kibble with say superior kibble, no worries. The superior kibble works just as good as simple as a replacement. However you can not do it the other way around.
Because of this, I typically only go with exceptional kibble. The recipe is not too complex, tameing up yuty's can be easy, and even if nothing else, you will need one for boss fights later.

Another option for making the top tier kibble is hopping over to Valguero and stealing deinonychus eggs; all you really need is a decent flyer and being quick about things. Use the low level eggs for kibble, and hatch the high level ones to get a boss bleeder flock going; that will also get you a steady stream of kibble eggs.  Though I suppose honey could end up being your bottleneck. One trick that helps with getting honey is that it does not spoil if you attach it to a fishing rod; the other day I found 4 hives fairly close together in the redwoods, so i spent like an hour going between them and making rods, and got like 100 honey. My thyla got to eat a lot of microraptors too. 

10 hours ago, Dreadcthulhu said:

Another option for making the top tier kibble is hopping over to Valguero and stealing deinonychus eggs; all you really need is a decent flyer and being quick about things. Use the low level eggs for kibble, and hatch the high level ones to get a boss bleeder flock going; that will also get you a steady stream of kibble eggs.  Though I suppose honey could end up being your bottleneck. One trick that helps with getting honey is that it does not spoil if you attach it to a fishing rod; the other day I found 4 hives fairly close together in the redwoods, so i spent like an hour going between them and making rods, and got like 100 honey. My thyla got to eat a lot of microraptors too. 

Usually I just get a quetzal with a platform saddle, add a gen and fridge, then a dire bear......fly quetzal up to a beehive, get on the dire bear, boom. 15 honey. Get 5 hives and you have a nearly full fridge of honey. And if you need more than that, just Unicorn hives as needed.

47 minutes ago, Rest2020 said:

CHUCKLES.  I have not yet been able to tame ANY flyer, the 'Pteradon' is my task for tomorrow since all i need is regular meat.
- after that, onward-and-upward, bigger animals and bigger eggs and fancier kibble.

Fair enough man, gotta get those wings! Best way to catch one is to use bola and tranq arrows, aim for the wings and not the head or else you might kill it. Once tamed first thing you will want to work on is stamina. Otherwise you will just be moving around very slowly to preserve what little stamina you have to begin with, or "hopping" from here to there. On a last bit, if you wanted to help speed up the taming process and efficiency, you could use your large egg to make a single piece of superior kibble. Superior kibble can be used in place of regular kibble which is normally used to tame pteradons. With that said, I would not use it on anything lower level. Im unsure of what kind of level wild animals you have. If you have seen animals running around over lvl 100, then I would save it for something extra special. Like something over lvl 120.

Good luck!

Good luck with your first flyer tame.  If you can kill dangerous stuff, certain animals drop prime meat, which will tame most carnivores almost as well as kibble. Another, easier option is to use a sickle on dead fish, which will get you prime fish meat; not as effective for a pteranodon as regular prime or kibble, but still beats regular meat, by longshot. At official rates a 150 Ptera would take more than 2 hours with regular meat, and less than one with prime fish. 

16 hours ago, Rest2020 said:

CHUCKLES.  I have not yet been able to tame ANY flyer, the 'Pteradon' is my task for tomorrow since all i need is regular meat.

- after that, onward-and-upward, bigger animals and bigger eggs and fancier kibble.

Good luck!

The kibble meta is both fun and rewarding. I used to look at it an merely a grind reducer, but now I see it as a piece of the puzzle for fully optimized Ark. I played this game for years just waiting for events with increased tame rates before I would look for higher level tames. Now, I look at any high level as a target of opportunity I just may come across, and briefly pause whatever I am doing to nab him.

So, while you are working on early useful tames, don't forget to get easy egg layers. one male... bunch of females. Force breeding just to get the eggs. Make kibble.

Have fun!

22 hours ago, Ganelon said:

Good luck!

The kibble meta is both fun and rewarding. I used to look at it an merely a grind reducer, but now I see it as a piece of the puzzle for fully optimized Ark. I played this game for years just waiting for events with increased tame rates before I would look for higher level tames. Now, I look at any high level as a target of opportunity I just may come across, and briefly pause whatever I am doing to nab him.

So, while you are working on early useful tames, don't forget to get easy egg layers. one male... bunch of females. Force breeding just to get the eggs. Make kibble.

Have fun!

Yes, i have 1-Male and 3-Female Dodos just to generate some eggs and learn about mating/farming.  Well, I  **HAD** 3-Femals, but yesterday a damn aerial dino flew in and grabbed them (one by one) and carried them off and killed them.  This sure is a frustrating game (but realistic for prehistoric times)

On 4/19/2021 at 12:32 AM, wizard03 said:

Fair enough man, gotta get those wings! Best way to catch one is to use bola and tranq arrows, aim for the wings and not the head or else you might kill it. Once tamed first thing you will want to work on is stamina ...
Good luck!

Well i got 2 exactly that way.  BUT their saddle needs CHITIN (KERATIN).  what is the best way to get that for a low-level beginner like me?  The bony turtles give it, but it takes forever to kill them and they dont give a lot.  I think there are spiders on a beach someplace but i have not found them yet.  

Do you have a raptor yet, or better, a raptor pack?

Meat tame a few raptors.  Bolas and tranq arrows are all you should need.  Learn to whistle attack target and have the raptors kill a few turtles to get you started finding chitin/keratin.  If raptors are too fast/scary, tame a few dilos, they're easier.

When you've got your hunting pack going (again, raptors are much better than dilos) and you've put some levels into health and melee on them, start looking for alpha raptors and alpha carnos to kill.  You'll get better tools and armor, and a crap ton of raw prime meat for killing any alpha on land.

Once you've got a crossbow (or two if primitive only), learn to get good at shooting it from the back of your best raptor.  Move and shoot, move and shoot.

By now you should have mortar and pestle and be making tons of narcotic, tons and tons.  You get a lot of xp and you need it for tranq arrows.  Tame at least a parasaur to ride on to gather berries faster for this.

So now you have your raptor, and hopefully a better than primitive crossbow from hunting down alpha raptors and alpha carnos, and a bunch (a bunch) of tranq arrows, and you know how to shoot on the move.

Now go to the beach somewhere where there aren't a lot of carnivores, and tame a male and female bronto, lowest levels you can find.  Bingo, unlimited large eggs for making exceptional (yellow/mastercraft) kibble.  You'll also need to plant citronel and have rare flowers to make it.  That kibble is what you'll use for almost everything else you tame.

Watching Phlinger Phoos vids on youtube or Syntac's Ultimate Ark series will teach you a LOT about how to do all the stuff I just said and most everything else you'll need to know.

4 hours ago, MtnDrew said:

Do you have a raptor yet, or better, a raptor pack?

Once you've got a crossbow (or two if primitive only), learn to get good at shooting it from the back of your best raptor.  Move and shoot, move and shoot.

By now you should have mortar and pestle and be making tons of narcotic, tons and tons.  You get a lot of xp and you need it for tranq arrows.  Tame at least a parasaur to ride on to gather berries faster for this.

Now go to the beach somewhere where there aren't a lot of carnivores, and tame a male and female bronto, lowest levels you can find.  Bingo, unlimited large eggs for making exceptional (yellow/mastercraft) kibble.  You'll also need to plant citronel and have rare flowers to make it. 

THANKS,  so much great info. 

- I have done all my hunting on my own, never thought to create a hunting pack.

- I have been using tranq arrows in regular bow.  is crossbow better for tranquilizing ?

- is there a good source for 'rare flowers' that is easy to get to and survive ?

Any yes, i will watch those guys videos.

4 hours ago, MtnDrew said:

When you've got your hunting pack going ...

I thought about that a couple of days ago, but there are no trilobites  in my local area.  I would have to go to some other area, a bit of a walk.  And my concern was if i took a few tamed animals with me, but still got killed, wouldnt they be stranded there?  I assume a 'whistle' has limited range and the animals would not hear and/or would have trouble getting back to me

- so I would have to walk back to where they were, and have them follow me as I walked home.

- this is also a concern I have about when i get a tamed Ptera, I would hate to get killed far away and have no practical way to get it back to me

Yes, if you die your tames will generally stay where they are, assuming they don't get eaten by whatever killed you. One thing you can do to make it easier to get back to them is to throw down sleeping bags whenever you are going into more dangerous areas, so you can respawn nearby.  And don't just plan on taming just one flyer, get some backups later so if you accidently dismount while flying and fall to an ignoble death, you can fly back to get your first flyer.   

As for your other questions, yes crossbows work better for taming than regular bows. And if you find a crossbow with a higher damage percent from a drop/alpha kill, it will also be better at knocking out stuff too.  As for rare flowers, I usually get them at beaver dams - the Island has some that spawn along the river flowing into the southern central coast area, that is reasonably safe. Make sure to dump everything out of a dam so it breaks (so new ones can respawn). They also have useful stuff like cementing paste and silica pearls.  Just be sure to dodge the angry beavers. 

Also, are you playing on an official server, unofficial, or single player? 

11 hours ago, Rest2020 said:

Well i got 2 exactly that way.  BUT their saddle needs CHITIN (KERATIN).  what is the best way to get that for a low-level beginner like me?  The bony turtles give it, but it takes forever to kill them and they dont give a lot.  I think there are spiders on a beach someplace but i have not found them yet.  

yeah, low level chitin can be a pain.....keep your eye's out for the trilobites on the beach. They like to show up around daylightish. After that, the turtles are probably the best, but most grindy way. Use your ax instead of pick to get the most out of each carcass. And as for leaving the area on a dino and being killed, I hate to tell you this, but it will happen sooner or later. Much like the birds that stole and killed your dodo's its gonna suck sooner or later.
But as mentioned before, slap down a sleeping bag in the worst areas, just in case.
Once you get leveled up enough to ride an argy, the game changes a bit, but you still gotta be on your toes.

13 hours ago, wizard03 said:

... And as for leaving the area on a dino and being killed, I hate to tell you this, but it will happen sooner or later. Much like the birds that stole and killed your dodo's its gonna suck sooner or later.

But as mentioned before, slap down a sleeping bag in the worst areas, just in case.

LAUGHS ... i have probably been killed somewhere between 50 and 100 times.  i am fertilizer to the wild dinos.

i usually cant put a sleeping bag down cause i am in an area the others have blocked off with dozens of pillars so i cant rez anything (am in PVE).

- the way most spots are unusable by newcomers is almost enough to make me give up on this game.

37 minutes ago, Rest2020 said:

LAUGHS ... i have probably been killed somewhere between 50 and 100 times.  i am fertilizer to the wild dinos.

i usually cant put a sleeping bag down cause i am in an area the others have blocked off with dozens of pillars so i cant rez anything (am in PVE).

- the way most spots are unusable by newcomers is almost enough to make me give up on this game.

well once you get your ptera, and start treking inland looking for a place to build, stay away from redwoods/ thyla teritory, or they'll make you wanna quit the game LOL.

1 hour ago, Rest2020 said:

LAUGHS ... i have probably been killed somewhere between 50 and 100 times.  i am fertilizer to the wild dinos. i usually cant put a sleeping bag down cause i am in an area the others have blocked off with dozens of pillars so i cant rez anything (am in PVE). - the way most spots are unusable by newcomers is almost enough to make me give up on this game.

Oh yeah, died billions of times myself before getting this far, and yeah online sucks cause all the servers are littered with people stuffs. If it drives you kinda insane after a minute, give solo a look at......Iv been playing default solo for a couple weeks now, its nice to have the whole island to yourself. :) And trust me, in all circumstances, no matter what, you are learning....granted, you might only be the master of a conventional stone pick axe, but it will only take you seconds to nail it down and get going on metal before a single day.

43 minutes ago, sjskdjkfa said:

well once you get your ptera, and start treking inland looking for a place to build, stay away from redwoods/ thyla teritory, or they'll make you wanna quit the game LOL.

He says that, but thyla is one of the best cave runners. Sure, a lot of people will say a different dino is "the" best, but they won't argue that a thyla is a good cave runner.

2 hours ago, Rest2020 said:

You might want to consider playing in local/host mode for a while, to help you get the hang of the game. Even on PvE this game can be quite hard to learn as a solo player, just the fact of having 2 or 3 people working together makes the experience much better for a new player.

If you don't like the idea of playing in local/host mode then there are a couple of things that will help you get established on an Official server:

1) Try just spawning in different locations and running around naked for a while, just scouting for good locations. Don't try to gather/build/upgrade, deaths mean nothing when you have nothing to lose. Just spend some time scouting.

if you respawn enough times in enough different locations you'll eventually find a spot where you can build a good starter base. Mind you, what qualifies as "good" depends on your personal level of experience in the game. You obviously don't want to try to spawn in the NW of The Island, but the entire southern edge has a bunch of good areas for newbie characters/players. It's true that you'll find a lot of it pillared, but if you do enough scouting you'll find areas that are surprisingly empty and ready for you to colonize. In my experience, the middle stretch of the southern beaches is rarely occupied by anyone serious.

To find this area... go to this map on the wiki:
https://ark.fandom.com/wiki/The_Island#Regions

Now mouse over the southern beach areas - on the west side are Southern Jungle and Cragg's Island. Now move your mouse a little further east, this will be Weathertop+Footpaw, now move a little more east and you'll find the beginning of Southern Islets. That very first peninsula, on the western side of Southern Islets is the one I'm talking about.

That area gets ignored for a couple of reasons, new people like to spawn on Southern Jungle, Craggs & Footpaw, and experienced people like to spawn near Herbivore Island to see if it's available or to spawn in more difficult zones where they'll have easier access to advanced resources. But there are multiple cool things about that western peninsula of Southern Islets - it has tons of resources to move up from thatch to wood to stone (including metal & crystal nodes, make sure you build far enough away that you don't interfere with a metal/crystal spawn point), once you build a starter base there you have quick, easy access to the swamps & the redwoods, plus even more metal & crystal on the mountain in the middle of the redwoods.

2) Diplomacy matters

Sometimes you have to be willing to get started in a location that's tiny, like only big enough for a 4x4 building. Now it's time to get to know your neighbors. As you're exploring and looking for animals to tame pay extra attention to which people/tribes have built community resources - some tribes will put up buildings with unlocked storage where people can put weapons & equipment for newbies to take, some tribes will build taming pens with the doors/gates unlocked so anyone can use them, and so on. These are the people you want to get to know. In addition to being friendly and helpful with resources they will also know a lot about the server and where there are locations that you can go look at as possible future base locations.

One of the things about ARK is that people are constantly coming & going from servers. No matter how big, successful and well established a tribe is people regularly leave. Either they've moved on to other maps or they've just stopped playing ARK. If you've gotten to know the active community on your map you'll have an opportunity to negotiate a claim on some or all of the abandoned land when people quit, or you might even make friends with people who want to give away their base when they leave because they don't like the idea of all their stuff decaying.

Of course you'll probably never get "the best" spots on the map, those are usually occupied by tribes playing for the long term, but there are so many good locations on every map that the whole concept of "the best" is rather silly.

3) An additional note about playing local/host

Even if you want to play on Official servers, you can still use your local/host copy for training/practice/knowledge/education. This is something that a lot of players overlook. Open up your local/host copy of The Island, make your character, and learn how to use console commands to enter Creative mode and to fly.

https://ark.fandom.com/wiki/Console_commands

Now you can explore your entire local copy of the map and take notes about locations you want to explore so that your time on the Official server will be more efficient. Rather than just randomly running around hoping to find a good spot, you can find the good spots in advance and then home in on them when scouting on the Official server.

This is also a good way to practice building techniques or taming animals you're not familiar with yet. It stinks trying to build something new and losing half of your resources when you make mistakes on an Official server, but on your local/host copy you can just spawn in more materials and practice until you know how to build what you want to build, you can even build on the exact same location that you're using on the Official server. Practice until you have a design for a building or taming pen that you like. Practice taming things so that you're sure you know how to do it, that way when you do it on the Official servers you won't waste nearly as much time (and resources) when things go wrong.

ARK is a big game, a deep game with lots of content and as the saying goes, "Practice makes perfect". Don't be shy about using your local/host copy of the map to teach yourself the things you need to know for success on the Official map.

On 4/21/2021 at 8:02 PM, Pipinghot said:

You might want to consider playing in local/host mode for a while, to help you get the hang of the game...

1) Try just spawning in different locations and running around naked for a while, just scouting for good locations. Don't try to gather/build/upgrade, deaths mean nothing when you have nothing to lose. Just spend some time scouting...

Now it's time to get to know your neighbors...

on your local/host copy you can just spawn in more materials and practice until you know how to build what you want to build...

- yup, i have been playing on both PvE and Local, and i think i have found a reasonable base site

- YES, using chat I have met some experienced players, and they have helped a lot

- I did not realize i could force respawn material on Local, thats a great tip.

NOW FOR A BIG QUESTION -- Resource respawn on OFFICIAL PVE

- I dont want to piss off my neighbors by deforesting plants/trees/rocks around the area

- In a weeks watching, harvested rocks/plants/trees DONT seem to be respawning.  Should they be?

6 hours ago, Rest2020 said:

In a weeks watching, harvested rocks/plants/trees DONT seem to be respawning.  Should they be?

There is certain types of structures that block resource respawning, like your foundations, but not gates... so don't build your base like right ontop of the obsidian or metal, or crystals... building on regular rock, trees, bushes is fine. The things that block do so in some radius, something like 10 or 15 foundation lengths if i remember correctly, so stuff right next to your base shouldn't be respawning, but stuff some dozen or so f lengths away from your foundations should be respwaning.

Archived