Racism from the developers?

TiberLex
Message added by invincibleqc,

This issue was fixed in v335.8 on PC.

Hello everybody. I hate to talk about this, but I see that not all players are equal for developers. Players who use a non-English game client are often deprived of some of the game's functions. 

For example, Deinonychus. If Gigantosaurus arrives at the base of the English player, the player will be able to use the Deinonychus to jump on the Gigantosaurus and kill him. If it is a Russian player, his Deinonychus will not jump. I agree that this is a bug - but it hasn't been fixed in over three years. And during this time, some of the players are deprived of this ability, and some are not.

Text on tablets. On the Russian client there is no way to write text on the plates. If the text is in English, then the squares will be visible. If the text is in Russian, then there will be random characters.

The text on the dedicated storage.  There is always a set of random characters. But not for English players - they are special and deserve a working storage.

What's next? A tek-suit that only flies on an English client? A weapon that only destroys non-English buildings?

I have nothing against the English players - they are good guys. But the fact that players from some countries have more options than players from others is very unfair. I agree that there can be bugs in a big game, and ARK is a very big game. But we do not even know if attention has been paid to them. These bugs have not been fixed for years and deprive some of the functions of players from certain countries - and this already looks like racism.

I hope the developers will nevertheless prove that I am wrong - after all, I am very ARK and I want to play it on equal terms with other players.

9 minutes ago, Zapha said:

Your points are valid, but if you make localisation problems to racism you overshot the mark.

I think the problem is more than just localization. If instead of nakroberry I see blackberry, this is a localization problem. And when one player can use the Deinonychus attack, and the other does not, this is more serious. Especially if no one is going to solve it.

12 minutes ago, Ganelon said:

I'm thinking a game bug is not the most pressing civil rights issue in Russia.

Yes - but this is game forum, so lets focus on game problem. Especially on those, when one player can do more than the other one.

14 minutes ago, TiberLex said:

I think the problem is more than just localization.

It's just the economy. Wildcard is owned by a chinese company and for whatever reason the owners don't want to invest enough money to make the game to the jewel it could be. Maybe they think "Why invest in ARK1 if ARK2 is in the pipeline?"

Hey, I want to flee from here because they are all mad. Can I live in your house in Russia? I have money and will pay rent. We could play ARK together :D

6 minutes ago, Zapha said:

It's just the economy. Wildcard is owned by a chinese company and for whatever reason the owners don't want to invest enough money to make the game to the jewel it could be. Maybe they think "Why invest in ARK1 if ARK2 is in the pipeline?"

I am very afraid that this is true and that some bugs will never be fixed.

8 minutes ago, Zapha said:

Hey, I want to flee from here because they are all mad. Can I live in your house in Russia? I have money and will pay rent. We could play ARK together :D

I would be glad to meet you) But i am from east of Ukraine - there is war now - not good time for guests.

1 hour ago, TiberLex said:

Yes - but this is game forum, so lets focus on game problem. Especially on those, when one player can do more than the other one.

But you didn't frame the post as a bug issue... you framed it with 'social justice warrior' rhetoric. "Racist"? Really?

Crap like that returns animosity to you based on the simple fact that those people (including yourself) who experience REAL systemic civil liberty offenses are entitled to the attention of good folk who would ally with them against oppressions. But a bug in a game that isn't getting attention does NOT deserve the same level of sympathy and outrage. You dilute the waters with that crap and are WRONG to do it. Trying to change the subject back to something that I'd agree with(bugs should be fixed) after throwing that bomb is not something I will give you.

31 minutes ago, Ganelon said:

But you didn't frame the post as a bug issue... you framed it with 'social justice warrior' rhetoric. "Racist"? Really?

Crap like that returns animosity to you based on the simple fact that those people (including yourself) who experience REAL systemic civil liberty offenses are entitled to the attention of good folk who would ally with them against oppressions. But a bug in a game that isn't getting attention does NOT deserve the same level of sympathy and outrage. You dilute the waters with that crap and are WRONG to do it. Trying to change the subject back to something that I'd agree with(bugs should be fixed) after throwing that bomb is not something I will give you.

Of course i did - year ago - and nothing. Why? Why you can use some game functions while i can't? And my freirnds can't to. Players from Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, Korea and some other countries are same like you. But why can you do in the game what they can't? Is this fair? The developers probably check everything in the English client and may not even be aware of such problems. Meanwhile, players don't get all the features, which makes them different. Maybe I'm exaggerating. But we have a problem. This problem puts players from a specific group of countries at a disadvantage. And this problem has not been solved for years. Why? Is it because the developer is not interested in the problems of players from these countries?

1 hour ago, TiberLex said:

Of course i did - year ago - and nothing. Why? Why you can use some game functions while i can't? And my freirnds can't to. Players from Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, Korea and some other countries are same like you. But why can you do in the game what they can't? Is this fair? The developers probably check everything in the English client and may not even be aware of such problems. Meanwhile, players don't get all the features, which makes them different. Maybe I'm exaggerating. But we have a problem. This problem puts players from a specific group of countries at a disadvantage. And this problem has not been solved for years. Why? Is it because the developer is not interested in the problems of players from these countries?

None of the things you mentioned suggest "racism" by the developers. I'll give you some grace and consider that you don't know what the word "racism" means. 

The game is english-centric in accordance with the language of the people that wrote it. Translation support is added in, and imperfect. I agree you SHOULD expect it to be fixed. I would also agree that they are likely not going to do so because it isn't a high priority compared to other issues. I would even suggest that it will never be fixed and that sucks.

But it isn't racist, and the title of your posts was suggesting that it is.

3 minutes ago, Ganelon said:

None of the things you mentioned suggest "racism" by the developers. I'll give you some grace and consider that you don't know what the word "racism" means. 

The game is english-centric in accordance with the language of the people that wrote it. Translation support is added in, and imperfect. I agree you SHOULD expect it to be fixed. I would also agree that they are likely not going to do so because it isn't a high priority compared to other issues. I would even suggest that it will never be fixed and that sucks.

But it isn't racist, and the title of your posts was suggesting that it is.

Well, what is it then? 

Let's imagine a situation. I am attacking the base of an American player using a brontosaurus. He uses deinonychus and they kill my brontosaurus. Then he attacks my base with a brontosaurus. But I will not be able to use Deinonychus in the same way as he. Why is that? We are the same players. The only difference is in the country and the game client. And this will be the key to his victory. Don't like the word "Racism"? Let's call it "a bug that deprives players from a certain group of countries of certain functions of the game, while keeping them for the rest."  

Perhaps you and I have different understandings of what racism is. In this topic, I put the following meaning into it: developers neglect the interests of a certain group of players, making them incomplete. And it just so happens that these players are from a certain list of countries. Yes - it's an accident. But by refusing to do something, the developers show disregard for these players. Why? Why is it enough that only players with an English client can play comfortably, and all the rest can be neglected?

23 minutes ago, TiberLex said:

Certainly not racism when it comes to Eastern Europe or Russia. I am sure that if players from this group of countries had any advantages, they would be quickly fixed.

Dude... those are nationalities.... not RACES.

At the worst... the very worst... the english speaking devs are english language centeric. That is not a moral issue. And with all the non-english speeking players I play with (exclusively on the german servers), this is the first I have heard that you cannot attack with Deonys(the support tmae of choice on Val) ... likely because there are valid work custom arounds either in system font setup or using whistle to manage the taming groups.

Either way, that isn't meshing, server drops, or lost transfers... which are the loudest complaints that are being posted.

Look, man... I totally think you should be bring up the issue... over and over. You paid money, you should have it run the way it was designed to run... and if there is non-English support code, they should FIX it. BUT... it is not possible for it to be RACIST. It is a sausage move to suggest otherwise.

4 hours ago, TiberLex said:

developers neglect the interests of a certain group of players ...

Don't forget that developers are not bosses, the boss is afaik Snail Games from Suzhou, so blame them, they are making the decisions.

If you have some insight into coding it should also be clear to you that over the years hundreds different coders have worked at this code. It's unavoidable that such a large game software like ARK becomes a mess over the time. Earlier or later comes the day when nobody is anymore in the crew who has full insight and oversight over the code.

Especially localisation and UI code of ARK seems to be a real bad mess, because they never fixed this over the years. With software it's a bit like with beings, it becomes older and one day there are too much bugs, the system has to die. Hello ARK2.

While i agree it is not racism, it is a form of discrimination. and i do think there is discrimination happening. when your point of origin means you will be at a disadvantage, then you are being discriminated upon. when entering a server means all you type will be converted to "cubes" then ofcourse the program is limiting you. 

then again how much of this can and should be overcome by the developers and how much comes from players? 

54 minutes ago, LadyofHats said:

While i agree it is not racism, it is a form of discrimination. and i do think there is discrimination happening. when your point of origin means you will be at a disadvantage, then you are being discriminated upon. when entering a server means all you type will be converted to "cubes" then ofcourse the program is limiting you. 

then again how much of this can and should be overcome by the developers and how much comes from players? 

We could even argue if it's discrimination though. To discriminate you have to actively decide not to service a population. Like if I made a bunch of blueberry pies and some people are allergic to blue berry, I'm not discriminating against them, I simply made some pie and some people can't eat it, that is through no action of my own. Now if I was a pie factory making pie for 5 years, and for the first few years you could argue that hey maybe he didn't even know about blue berry allergies, but for the last three years people had been informing about the allergy problem and asking for a wider variety of pie, but I just kept actively deciding to produce blue berry, perhaps then because of the active decision... but then who is to say one must learn new things?

Archived