"Mod version mismatch" - need advice

Heethar

I admin a private server hosted by a friend. On Ragnarok we were doing fine, but he set up a cluster with Val, The Island, and Crystal Isles, and we're having weird issues. 

Nearly every time we try to join, we get the "Mod version mismatch" error. The servers are up to date, we've checked, and none of the mods we are running are out of date. 

We have S+, Dino Storage, Ark Additions, ECO Vikings and ECO Trees, Ultimate Stacks, Awesome Spyglass, Stargate Universe, Balanced Narcotics, Simple Spawners and  Alternative Tek Unlock. 

Simple Spawners is new - we previously had the Dino + Map extension for Val, but I thought that was causing our issue since it requires another mod, and causes spawns on non-Val maps - so I tried Spawners instead. It didn't fix the problem but it hasn't made it worse either. 

As far as I can tell, none of our mods conflict with each other.

Sometimes one of us can get in and others can't. Currently, my friend (the host) can get in, but I get Mod Mismatch when I try. I wiped my mod folder and got it to redownload - still no dice. 

Sometimes it works if I unsubscribe from the mods entirely, delete them, then re-sub and make them redownload. 

Any suggestions? This is a huge pain, especially since I use some of those mods on my single player. as well. Is there any mod in that list that's a known problem child? 

We can literally play one day and hit this bug the next - I'm pretty sure none of these mods update that frequently or have updated that recently, so I have no idea what's going on? 

(we had over 20 mods installed before I took over as admin and most were from ~2016, I made them go more Vanilla then they wanted as it is, lol.) 

Problem is likely client-side.  Steam (or Ark) has been having issues installing/updating mods recently based on what our users are describing.  It seems random but tends to be centered around the most-recent mods being updated.  Only thing recent for us was Dino Storage.

I helped them fixed it by having them do the following:

1. Unsubscribe from the latest mod that updated (e.g. Dino Storage)
  2. Make note of the mod ID (e.g. Dino Storage is 1609138312)
  3. Browse to the folder where Ark is installed and drill down to this path: <SteamPath>\ARK\ShooterGame\Content\Mods\
  4. Delete the folder that matches the mod ID (e.g. 1609138312)
  5. Delete the mod file that matches the mod ID (e.g. 1609138312.mod)
  6. Resubscribe to the mod and re-connect to the server.

If you see a mod installing in the bottom-right corner of the Ark menu, let it finish before doing anything else.  It is extracting the mod that Steam downloaded.  However, people are experiencing this issue even if they let it install properly.

LHammonds

37 minutes ago, LHammonds said:

Problem is likely client-side.  Steam (or Ark) has been having issues installing/updating mods recently based on what our users are describing.  It seems random but tends to be centered around the most-recent mods being updated.  Only thing recent for us was Dino Storage.

I helped them fixed it by having them do the following:

1. Unsubscribe from the latest mod that updated (e.g. Dino Storage)
  2. Make note of the mod ID (e.g. Dino Storage is 1609138312)
  3. Browse to the folder where Ark is installed and drill down to this path: <SteamPath>\ARK\ShooterGame\Content\Mods\
  4. Delete the folder that matches the mod ID (e.g. 1609138312)
  5. Delete the mod file that matches the mod ID (e.g. 1609138312.mod)
  6. Resubscribe to the mod and re-connect to the server.

If you see a mod installing in the bottom-right corner of the Ark menu, let it finish before doing anything else.  It is extracting the mod that Steam downloaded.  However, people are experiencing this issue even if they let it install properly.

LHammonds

OMG thank you. I had figured out that un-subscribing, not just deleting, was making things work. I've been doing it for all the mods every time though. I'll let him know - this at least tracks with what we've experienced. 

Archived