I need to get good...

Nateraidz

Also you should realize that your question is extremely broad. Like idk for example if you can tame a dino even. Are you stuck on the beach picking up rocks and twiddling your thumbs like what is this game about? Or are you perhaps a little more advanced than that and need some more specific advice... learning what to ask is half the battle of learning.

Watch phlinger phoo's soling the ark series. It's really good in explaining how to get started. 

This is how I did it:

1. Thatch hut

2. Tame parasaur

3. Wooden mini base

4. Tame Trike

5. Metal tools

6. Tame ptera.

7. Evolve

8. Rest should fall into place.

Keep trying and have fun while doing it. There will be some bumps along the way, but one day you will reach end game and it will be very satisfying.

Good luck!

https://ark.fandom.com/wiki/ARK_Survival_Evolved_Wiki

I have found this site is very helpful for understanding what to do with the game and where to start.

Also don't ever consider yourself not good at the game even the best players struggle and suffer in this game, its survival and meant to be tough.  Try different things until you find what you like and expand on it.  My tribe and I each have our own things we like to do and specialize in.  It takes time but you learn with experience.

I can't seem to tame any beginner dinos that take a decent amount of time. Like the pteradon for example. I tried to tame one on the beach and a spinosaurus killed me and my tame. I am level 55+ since I cranked up every setting that made the game easier. I crafted a pistol once, from the river rocks that have a little bit of metal in them, and as soon as I went a little off the beach, a carno killed me. Specifically, I probably need help with taming beginner dinos. My goal is to tame a trike first, a raptor next, and then a pteradon last. I went to the swamp to explore, knocked a trike, and while I was looking for it, something jumped on my head and killed me. Please give me the steps on how to get off the beach safely, and permanently. Thank you, you guys are great.

3 hours ago, Nateraidz said:

I can't seem to tame any beginner dinos that take a decent amount of time. Like the pteradon for example. I tried to tame one on the beach and a spinosaurus killed me and my tame. I am level 55+ since I cranked up every setting that made the game easier. I crafted a pistol once, from the river rocks that have a little bit of metal in them, and as soon as I went a little off the beach, a carno killed me. Specifically, I probably need help with taming beginner dinos. My goal is to tame a trike first, a raptor next, and then a pteradon last. I went to the swamp to explore, knocked a trike, and while I was looking for it, something jumped on my head and killed me. Please give me the steps on how to get off the beach safely, and permanently. Thank you, you guys are great.

Frogs are an extremely easy and mobile early game tame that can allow you to travel way easier than on foot. Go for a high level straight away but even a mediocre frog is 1000% better than running around. Just make sure you have plenty of narcs to keep it down.

The swamp can be tough though. Kapros are the real danger here. Snakes are a really easy way to get prime for the frog as you can just back pedal and headshot them no problem. 

Once you get a frog it'll be easier to get up into the mountains for an argy.

3 hours ago, Nateraidz said:

That's a much better question, but another detail, are you playing pvp, or pve, unofficial, vs official? single player? And what map? The reason I ask is because if you're playing in a pvp server where someone has turrets all around the place I want to recommend you to go, it wouldn't work, and official pve there is probably a big base there, but often times they still leave it accessible to rafts... so the place I'm talking about is known as herbivore island. If you look at the map it's in the bottom right corner. If you make yourself a raft and make your way down there and use that as a base of operations, the environment will seem much less deadly. As for concurring the rest of the map, rafts can help with that too. Use herb island as a raft, ptera, anky factory, and send your mobile fleet out to expand and concur. If you make your way up the east coast you can tame argentavis in the north east corner so I'd head that way first. Also look up videos on how to design boats, you can make some very nice trap boats that are also little work shops to live out of.

If you're willing to go to other maps, I'd recommend the high lands of ragnarok as a starting area instead of herb island. If you wander around there, you'll eventually fill your pockets with wild rockarrot and by that time hopefully you are lvl ten and able to tame equus. then you have an easy way to get narco berries, and can tame a ptera, and there is usually sheep... just watch out for the gigas and allo packs, but it's usually a pretty open area and as long as you keep an eye out and use k to enable the orbit cam and look around with that cam you can see even further so they don't normally surprise you.

Another consideration is whether or not you are using equipment. Sometimes I put points into melee and hp, and i deck my guy out with healing potions, armor, weapons, torches, etc. And have a tame following me on attacking target. And if a mob of carnos etc hits me i die anyways lol. But properly decked out and alert, i at least stand a chance against compies and lone troodons that otherwise would wreck me. But sometimes I run around naked or with minimal disposable equipment, and if i die i die, half the time i don't even try to recover the equipment, fugetabout it attitude.... Win by not playing? lol...

Keep a bola in your hands any time you aren't gathering food or resources.  Bolas stop raptors and most other small carnivorous things so you can run away.

Tame a couple of paras and some dilos.  Learn how to whistle attack a critter from the back of your para and watch your dilos go to town.  

Stay out of the swamp.  Stay out of the ocean.

Learn about taming pens.  Phlinger Phoo and Syntac on youtube should be immediate subscriptions.

Raptors are overrated as an early tame.  They are good for fast-ish traveling but pteranodons are better.  A raptor pack is better than a dilo pack, but..

Once you get a decent ptera, your goal in life should be to tame an argentavis.  An argy and knowledge of good taming pens will change everything.  It will be super easy to get utilities like doeds, ankys, beavers.. or sabertooths, direwolves, daeodons, etc..

Early game when you're new feels like forever.  You'll get past it. Get an argy.

8 hours ago, Nateraidz said:

Man, I wish I could get back online.

best advice I got for you man is to try and tame a dino away from any other dino's. Don't just go for whatever with such pains in the rear nearby otherwise you will get wrecked.....survey the area, figure out if there is any serious problems nearby, if only low level soft dino's nearby, kill them. Dilo's, compy's, maybe raptors {use bola's to trap them, or throwing spears ontop of hard to get to rocks.} Once clear, try to knock it out within that area, then wait for it to starve a bit

Also, Id like to point out that getting off the beach can be simple or difficult, depending on your strategy....taming a couple critters up is a good way, but most dangerous. However a raft is also a good way too.

• 3 weeks later...

In general traps make taming dinos much, much easier. So look up designs and start making those. One basic design I like to have right outside of my base is 3x3 stone foundations, a stone dino gate(leave unlocked if on public server), stone doorways three high around the rest of the foundations, and wood stairs/ramp leading into the trap. Simply poke whatever you want to tame and have it chase you up the ramp, and then run out the open doorways. This trap will hold a wide variety of creatures, even alpha raptors and carnos. You can also slap wooden spike walls around it and demolish the ramps when you are taming something, to keep random raptors from messing up your level 150 theri tame. 

Archived