The Center Console Debut and Community Crunch 47!

Jatheish

• Administrator

Hello Survivors!

Welcome to Community Crunch 47! The Crunch is a weekly topic that consist of content to share, made by the community, for the community! As well as any little changes we want to make survivors aware about, which happen within our community.

Official Mods Program Debut: The Center

So, you might think this isn’t a community update - but it is! The Center originally started out, similarly to Primitive+, as a Community-made mod! During PAX East 2016 we were excited to announce that both The Center and Primitive+ would be making it’s way officially to both the console and PC version of the game!

Well the time has come, a lot of hard-work has gone into the map from the team and we’re super excited about launching it on Xbox in the coming week! We hope you guys enjoy playing through this visually stunning mod, that adds an over-the-top, fantasy-themed map that doubles the size of the current game with tons of new biomes, including snow and volcanic, caves so large in size that they have their own living eco-system, floating islands, end-of-the-world waterfalls, massive ancient ruins, along with other wonders to explore and secrets to find!

Awesome right?! 

ARK: Biome Changes!

(Yes.. I'm mentioning it again, just so everyone is made aware of the change, haha!)

In the last Community Crunch we posted some upcoming changes to the Biomes. That map was a little confusing as it included the new sizes of all the biomes, as opposed to the changes itself - and following that, we've gone ahead and made some further changes to what that turned out to be. Here are the new biome changes:

large.573226dc73cea_7D85D9D02D8F501A9E3931C34EEDFCB5F89592A0C6092BD0FEpimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg

Key:

Blue area == Changes occurring in this area are to highlight the new Snow Biome. The previous biome will receive a touch-up / some alterations and adjustments which may affect your base. So there are some slight landscape/terrain changes made throughout the biome.

Orange area == This is the new Redwood biome. It will be replacing the previous existing 
Jungle/Mountain area that was here before.

Green area == This is the swamp biome that will turn into Redwood.

The Old Snow Biome has received some changes, the extent of which is difficult to quantify, it is closer to a touch-up as opposed to a re-do. There is a chance this could affect bases in that location, which is why we wanted to include it on the map to give you guys the option as to whether to relocate or not, however it is also likely that they are not significant enough to cause you any disruption.

The other highlighted areas, are areas of change. The swamp isn't being made into a tiny small piece, it is still rather large - it's just a far majority of it will be unaffected by this map change, which is why it is not highlighted on the map - however the areas that are highlighted, will change.

We try to avoid making drastic map changes as we know it can be unsettling for players to have to be concerned about relocating their base, however sometimes we have to go ahead and make those changes for the development of the game. We apologize if this does cause any inconvenience and we really hope you enjoy the upcoming biome changes :)

Don't worry if it's a little confusing! We'll be updating the in-game environment with 3D markers indicating areas that will be undergoing a change!

Fan Feature

ARK: Survival Evolved: The Ranger Chronicles [S2-Ep.10]: WINTER IS COMING

Fallingwater recreated in ARK by The Lime Inc!

TypeForced’s 101 Ways to Win SotF!

And the fun continues with TypeForced as he climbs towards that 101st different-win in SotF!

BLLRRRT! By Grande

C13F0E3250216D038300305F2288044F2AE898C8

Source: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=681301800

Pimp My Dino 2.0 by Papukaijah

E880E1631719EA63DE9C21BD58245EBF7CF09649

Source: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=679722312

D5085510D93986A6A3B71C4C3D912B11C9E4C545

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=680202699

NUKE1985’s Birdcage & Harbor

D67934AF452DD605167B06B79BCF5C7CDB4C8FEC

Source: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=678317659

0E5F6ACFDA4934F286EC53F45CAB6094FEDFF2C4

Source: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=682117275

E2B610E4BC5215D768B208090BE7C5B66E4C5A72

Source: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=682117892

Earnest Coleman’s Castle!

FA9E2F0EED6966A8C95986F706BF0D5FD0F8CFBD

Source: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=680530469

Fanmade Dossiers: Brachytrachelopan by Shadlos!

D6A0EA89B5F9B321CF7B9B5EB156C807DD050C48

Source: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=679811848

Fanmade Dossiers: Sciurumimus by DracoSerpentor77

79ACCF78A58CECBCC5785A42DB7A4E169AF2FF3E

Source: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=682165956

Fanmade Dossiers: Sinoceratops by Shadlos!

522F8063EE2C442B1DCA346F0A1CAA5A25D5F590

Source: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=679395084

Fanmade Dossier: Chasmosaurus by MaximusPM

Dossier_Chasmosaurus_final.jpg.bd0e089aa

Fanmade Dossier: Tropeognathus! By MaximusPM

Dossier_Tropeognatus_final.jpg.fc2c45a4a

Community Contests!

ARKitect

This is an award given to Survivors to celebrate the amazing structures you build. These bases are judged based upon a number of different factors such as their creativity, uniqueness, how fun of a base it is, the difficulty of building it, the functionality it provides and much more!

The ARKitect for Community Crunch 47 is..

WelcomeToParadise’s SteamPunk Base!

For their fantastic Steam Punk Base! Looks absolutely incredible and great work showcasing a mod! 

We'd also like to give an honourable mention to the following Survivors for their awesome arkitecture work!

FataL1ty’s “Mini” Death Star!

large.20160512213202_1.jpg.c84b43adb005f

large.20160512213254_1.jpg.5382652742476

Velice’s Floating Town and Dino Stables!

large.3.jpg.b45b6b30905df4916cd11da833d6

large.4.jpg.b9f4355cf62a01a83c2ba3b2f7ad

ARKArt

This is an award given to survivors who have created beautiful work of art for that week! As always, the artwork is not being judged on the quality of the screenshot or the graphical settings used, but instead what you have managed to draw and produce in game.

The ARKArtist for Community Crunch 47 is…

Tricksey!

arkart1.jpg.035135a2f774026f094319f55317

Gorgeous Ichthyosaurus piece! And your first ARKArt entry too, can’t wait to see more!

Thank you for all the entries this week guys! Congratulations to all our winners and if you’d like to take a look at what all the survivors submitted, you can do so here:

Workshop Spotlight!

This week we take a look with Cedric at the Madagascar Evolved map for ARK!

Cedric: So I'm here with Itsr2ghgaming, one of the developers on the Madagascar Evolved map!  Hey man! I just checked out your map and I must say, there's some cool things you guys are working on.  Why don't you tell us a little about yourself and the other developer that works on this!

Chandler: Well.. My name is Chandler im 16 years old I am currently attending highscool! My partner on this map is Joe he just graduated high school and has moved onto college. We are both ambitious young men wanting to make a map for the ARK Community in a different perspective no one has experienced in ARK!

large.573697b80cf0d_MadagascarEvolved2.png

Cedric: That's awesome man!  I love to see fellow modders working together!  So is game design/development something that you want to pursue at the next level of your education?  If not, what do you plan on studying?  What made you want to get involved in the ARK modding scene?

Chandler: Umm... Game Design is something I have thought of majoring in ever since I began developing Madagascar because, I really enjoy level design! But I've always since I was a kid wanted to go into the military then study Criminal Justice and become a detective! So im still figuring out what's the best route for me. What got me involved in the ARK modding community was the beautiful maps I was coming across and total conversions, they inspired me to learn and create something of my own.

large.573697be63254_MadagascarEvolved.png

Cedric: Detective!?  I may need your business card in the future ;)  So how did Madagascar Evolved come about?  I did a video review of it and its one of the maps that actually feel like you've been dropped in a real live location.  Is that something you both were going for 

Chandler: I'll make sure to get you one if I get there :) Madagascar came about my friend Joe and I were talking about the contest and it was late May and I said lets do something that hasn't been done yet! And so we looked around and I proposed the idea of a Madagascar to the next level back in Dinosaur Ages, so we started with that and ever since then we have been working every day on it for the past 6 weeks! Ah yes the actual feel of being dropped in a real live location is exactly what we are going for, When I think of this map im thinking about running down the plain being chased by a lion. hat's what I want everyone else to feel too! I was the only one going for that feeling when we first started but I convinced him that its an awesome feeling and has to be done!

large.573697bc749a2_MadagascarEvolved4.png

Cedric: It really is!  There was a point when I was reviewing when I had hoped to see a pack of lions!!  So being 6 weeks into the development, are there certain things you focus on first??  What are your next steps for the map?

Chandler: Yes... Later on we will be learning to model ourselves and develop a 3D model of a lion for the map! Our development is really being focused on landscape and finishing biomes right now! We wanna get the map filled in and polish it up after. The reason we are focusing on biomes first is because we want it to be as finished as possible for the contest! Our next steps in the map are working on the beaches and ocean and lakes to get more water sources for the players and ocean space for the boat lovers :) Then we will do more caves and polishing of the biomes, while of course bug fixes in between :P

large.573697b04bf70_MadagascarEvolved3.png

Cedric: Well it sounds like you've got a good plan and the community seems to be in love with this map!  I know I will be making sure I keep my eyes on it.  Is there any advice you would give to other people wanting to get involved with level design with the ARK Development Kit?

Chandler: The community had a better reaction than I thought. I love the feedback I receive from the community... Yes definitely keep your eyes on it, updates are going to come big and quick throughout the next month or so! My advice would be to follow your dreams and ideas, if you want to make a mod or map make sure to YouTube tutorials and for sure check out the unreal forums!! The forums has been a big help for me.

Cedric: Well it's been fun chatting with you.  I'm sure we'll all be hearing a lot from you.  Any parting words for the fans or Wildcard?

Chandler: Yes it's been fun chatting with you as well! Yup you might be hearing from me sometime In the future... What I'd like to say to my fans is be ready for a mass amount of content filled updates, and to wildcard thank you for giving me the opportunity to use the ADK and create a map map for your game! I love your game and your team keep up the awesome work! Thank you for the chance to participate in this weeks crunch and interview :)

Primitive Plus Developers Blog!

large.Primitive.png

Hey fellow Survivors.  It’s Ced and I’m excited about some things coming for Primitive Plus.  I’ve been getting lots of feedback from existing players and those new to Primitive Plus.  There have been lots of comments on the lack of balance for PVP and raiding mechanics.  Without further ado, let’s get into it!!

large.573697bf647de_Primitive2.jpg

In the next update barrels of gunpowder can be used as a primitive explosive.  Using these won't be possible without some risks.  The countdown to detonation will be a variable and there will be a slight chance of misfiring when using these.  I think this balances out the risk/reward properly especially in a primitive based environment.  In addition to explosives, I’ll be introducing the grinding stone.  The grinding stone will be used to sharpen (upgrade) your metal weapons.  This should allow for a more rewarding PVP scenario.  I’ll also be introducing more melee weapons and possibly siege weapons in the near future!  Please believe that I will continue to focus on making this a great experience for those who prefer PVP or the RP/PVE crowd that Primitive Plus tends to cater to.

large.573697c1bb3a3_Primitive4.PNG

To keep with the primitive theme of trapping, the next update will include more traps!  This week I’ll be introducing the tried but true deadfall trap.  I’ll also be upgrading the trapping system to show different animals caught in the trap and several other minor changes.  If you enjoy the trapping system, let me know and I’ll look at introducing traps for bigger game.  I’m also interested in your ideas in improving the system.

large.573697b65b3b6_Primitive3.jpg

Included in the next update are some quality of life improvements as well.  The windmill will allow for automatically processing grains, specialized storage boxes for different types of resources, and hanging cabinets to make your base feel like home!  There will also be some new plants introduced should you ever find yourself under the weather :)  Be sure to look out for some new meals and consumables introduced in the next updates as well!

In the update following, I will be focusing on the existing and new structures (like the adobe-themed set) to make sure they are as polished as possible.  Last but not least, we converted server 1 to The Center last week and ever since, it has been a little hard to get some play time in on that server.  We are looking at the possibilities of opening up another one!  As always, let me know what your thoughts are and and suggestions are!!

Ced

That’s it for this week’s Crunch guys! As always if you’ve got anything to share please get in touch and be sure to follow us on Twitter at @survivetheark - Facebook at www.facebook.com/survivetheark and Reddit at www.reddit.com/r/playark

Thanks everyone!

All the best,

Wildcard Jat and the ARK Survival Evolved Team

View full article

1 hour ago, Murphyzlaw said:

Fix the lag...  game is dead because of the lag.  No one cares about content.  We only want the incompetent coders to FIX THE LAG!

what lag?? we run 20+ mods, have huge bases and several tribes on our server and no lag at all. if your specs aren't up to running this game then wait till official release after optimization and complain about it then.

as it is said 20.000 times before, they will release all content first and then will start optimizing, till then bugs and problems will occur. 

• Volunteer Moderator
5 minutes ago, HighFlyer15 said:

Wait so now Hidden Lake and the mountain to the East isn't being changed to Snow?
I would be pretty sad if I had started moving/destroying my base there, only to see it changed so soon D:

Yup they announced a while ago that Hidden Lake wasn't going to be changing.

Just now, Murphyzlaw said:

Fix the lag...  game is dead because of the lag.  No one cares about content.  We only want the incompetent coders to FIX THE LAG!

The game isn't really dead :/

I'm a bit but hurt that you'd call the devs "incompetent" because of them doing the SMART thing and fixing bugs AFTER content gets released (as in when the game gets released). As Inverse said it's still an early access, so it's up to us, the official ark tester team, and the community to find and report these bugs so the devs can remove them for the content they're releasing.... That being said I hope to see you stick around. 

Speaking of bugs... I need to find me a spider, it keeps bugging me every once in awhile xD

Edited by Zanthriin

10 hours ago, Murphyzlaw said:

I personally don't have any problems with lag. A low frame rate at times, but nothing game breaking. And like others have said over and over..It is still in early access.

So I'm not really sure what you guys expect.

The only real bothersome lag on the officials is the server save taking so long from all the millions of objects, items, timers and creatures being serialized (saving code, properties and all as UE4 does it).  When I was on the extinctions, there was never more than two or three seconds and a small snapback, but some officials are getting up above 30 seconds from the weight of it all. The upcoming Center servers will probably be largely lag free for a few weeks until people start building up, and I look forward to setting up on one of them too.

On 5/14/2016 at 1:07 AM, GamerPerfection said:

Yup they announced a while ago that Hidden Lake wasn't going to be changing.

That's what they would like you to believe, however I am in the process of chronicling  the truth... the untold story of the struggle to save the Hidden Lake area!

Trust the Chronicles... believe the Chronicles...  :D

15 hours ago, Murphyzlaw said:

The game is dead because of griefers/trolls, spamming pillars around the map, and alpha tribes that wipe new players. Lag has nothing to do with the lack of players.

Also, new content comes before optimization, otherwise that content could unfix whatever they fix. 

Welcome to Early Access games, if you don't like the way they're developed, don't play Early Access games.

Don't think the game is dead at all, merely having the usual growing pains and the people without patience in the process leaving to play other stuff... A large portion of the player base is probably doing single player and private servers and aren't generally complaining or leaving. Looking at the mod page, I think they are thriving honestly. The officials are really the only place you see the aforementioned griefers and trolls, pillars, and 'alpha tribes.'  Those things exist in just about all online games honestly, and are a side effect of internet culture in general.

Can't blame these devs that people get bored. There's people in every game that devour content faster than the devs can make it, pronounce the game boring, and go do the same for every other game in their library....

Put The Center on my PC this afternoon. Backed up my character from The Island, because you will lose it otherwise. You start with a new one.

With gather, XP and Taming at 4X, Joe Six Pack is doing well. He quickly got his spears to rid the area of Compys and Dilos. He has seen two of the dog like creatures along the beach and has tamed a parasaur he found stuck in the trees. He will be level 15 shortly.

The Center map is running very smoothly. Creature and resource spawns look good so far.

woVid32.jpg

qL0QrNW.jpg