Timeouts between server and Epic client

First time setting up a dedicated ARK server. I'm using ASM, and the hosting computer can access the server without problems (running the game via Steam). The client computer, running ARK via Epic, can see the server listed under Unofficial servers in game, but when attempting to join, it gets a timeout message. Specifically, clicking "join" then goes to the ARK loading screen, then it returns to the server list with a message saying it is joining the server, then that message disappears and is replaced with a dialog box stating it timed out.

I tried starting the client in single player and using this command "open 24.xxx.xxx.xxx:7777 <password>" and it will think for a minute or two, during which the single player game is still active and responsive. Then it pops up the ARK loading screen, before returning to the main menu with a timeout dialog box.

Server console has this: "SteamSocketsOpenSource: gethostname failed". I've looked into fixing this without success.

Port forward settings attached; x.114 is the host computer's internal IP. I attached the server console output, too. I disabled all mods, they aren't listed at all in the ASM admin section.

I manually checked the firewall settings on both computers, ARK is allowed and shootergame.exe is listed as well. Attached are also the firewall rules ASM created, and below that are the three I created manually, trying to follow a setup guide.

I tried running the client with a command line option to connect via IP address, but it didn't seem to do anything. Not sure if I got the argument syntax wrong, or if that isn't compatible with Epic (the tutorial I got it from was from 2018), or if it simply isn't a viable solution.

Any ideas?

ARK server.png

Ports.png

Firewall.png

I tried a number of firewall rules on both the client and host, nothing worked.

On a whim, I tried using the "open" command with the local IP address (open 192.168.xxx.xxx:7777), and it worked! Obviously only useful with LAN, but still. It's something. Even if it does error out every time I try to put a password on the server, and goes back to timing out whenever I try and add a mod...

Archived