Ikky Bird steals through walls?

GreenRoc

I'm logging in to my character who is fully enclosed in a base with at least one foundation around my bed and a four wall highceiling and somehow while I am tabbed over trying to deal with other matters, I see the message an ikky buird (I cant recall the precice name right now) was able to steal off my body that is laying on my bed with over a foundation between me and the walls and it stole from me? I'm on an PvE official PC server.

(In Goofy's voice)
Somethings wrong here.

Is this intentional or another "oops" from Wildcard's coders thing?

Image of my position (mine has longer hair):
20210401103305_1.jpg

Fully enclosed. The bird is outside. I am disappointed.
I guess I need to double-up my walls or would that not even work. I deeply loathe losing stuff. The loss today wasant a big deal (rare flower) But the fact my body could be stolen from greatly concerns me for the safety of my things.

I am now convinced I will have to go fully naked including my inventory because of this magical bird that can attack me through walls.

Better safe than sorry. Rest of you should go fully naked if you dont want this to happen to any of your stuff.

On 4/1/2021 at 1:41 PM, GreenRoc said:

Fully enclosed. The bird is outside. I am disappointed. I guess I need to double-up my walls or would that not even work. I deeply loathe losing stuff. The loss today wasant a big deal (rare flower) But the fact my body could be stolen from greatly concerns me for the safety of my things. I am now convinced I will have to go fully naked including my inventory because of this magical bird that can attack me through walls. Better safe than sorry. Rest of you should go fully naked if you dont want this to happen to any of your stuff.

Yeah, walls in ark has been and I think always will be "just a suggestion"
You can get attacked through the walls, animals never seem to get stuck in appropriate traps, and you can hit anything that is pokeing out of dinogateway's......they really are just a suggestion.

Best get those auto turrets and set them up to kill wilds. Only real way to stay safe.

On 4/1/2021 at 1:41 PM, GreenRoc said:

Is this intentional or another "oops" from Wildcard's coders thing?

It's an "oops", but I'm betting it's not one that can be fixed in ARK without re-writing some pretty fundamental code (which is definitely not going to happen this late in the life cycle of the game).

When you log into the game it rezzes in objects and animals the same way it does when you fly towards a base. You'll notice that animals  & characters get rezzed in first, then player-made structures afterwards. This is why, for example, you can see the tames someone owns before their buildings rez in.

Same thing when you log in, your body and the icthy rez into the game, the ichty is flying around doing what ichty's do, and then by the time your building rezzes in the icthy has already hit you, stolen from you, and is flying away by the time your building gets rezzed in.

This is (from my point of view) a bad choice that was made from the very beginning of the creation of ARK, the game should have been designed to rez in structures first then characters & animals afterwards, this would have prevented a whole range of problems that occur in this game because things rez in the wrong order. Reversing that rez order sounds like an easy thing do to but I'll bet you dollars to doughnuts that it's not, and that's assuming that it's even possible. The thing is, I don't know if reversing them is possible, it might be a limitation caused by the game engine which means that maybe there's nothing the devs can do about it. Maybe someone else will be able to comment who knows the answer to that question.

But even if it's possible I'd still bet that it would require some significant work that could lead to a host of other problems that would need to be fixed, and again that's not going to happen with a game that's geting near the end of its lifespan.

At this point, the only real answer is to put your stuff in storage when you log off, it's the only way to be sure this won't happen.

16 hours ago, GreenRoc said:

I post for the devs to know they got more code they need to work out, eventually.

I can hope for code to be improved.
They've fixed things before (that were unresolved for months or years).

Yea devs cant fix this, if they could they would have years ago. I am assuming you dont have an outer wall around your base, cause that would be a great way to reduce this from possibly happening. Its well known that dinos will mesh through walls sometimes when a player enters the area loading in the dinos and structures which dont get loaded in simultaneously so sometimes the creature is there before the wall is and they are magically in ur base. If you have an outer wall around your base then the dino would likely still merge through occasionally but then it would just end up inside the outer wall but outside the actual bases walls therefore not able to hit you where you are sleeping. Then you can have a dino on aggressive to kill then, or put a turret or x plant or 2 up to kill anything getting in.

12 hours ago, Piffguru said:

Yea devs cant fix this, if they could they would have years ago. I am assuming you dont have an outer wall around your base, cause that would be a great way to reduce this from possibly happening. Its well known that dinos will mesh through walls sometimes when a player enters the area loading in the dinos and structures which dont get loaded in simultaneously so sometimes the creature is there before the wall is and they are magically in ur base. If you have an outer wall around your base then the dino would likely still merge through occasionally but then it would just end up inside the outer wall but outside the actual bases walls therefore not able to hit you where you are sleeping. Then you can have a dino on aggressive to kill then, or put a turret or x plant or 2 up to kill anything getting in.

It is nice when animals conveniently stick their heads through the walls of taming pens so you can get a nice easy shot though. 

Archived