TOO MANY HUGE BASES

Blu1918

WC, you need to start looking into bases that are SOO huge, they create LAGS and CRASHES around them for other players...................this is unacceotable to have a certain part of any PUBLIC map be so consumed with the huge amounts of hoarded stuff by a clan or independent players, that the entire server is now getting affected. The players that want to "own" entire sections of the map by pillaring and mega-huge bases is ruining your game for most of the other players attempting to play on your servers!

At least on small tribes there should 100% be a structure limit. Not sure what the ideal number would be but something that allows plenty of room to build a main base while not enabling tribes to foundation/spike wall spam for 100 miles around the base.

Not only does it lag the server it's really ugly looking.

Hopefully this is one of those things that will be adjusted in Ark 2.

I have been accused of causing server lag due to my large island base. But I use element dust gachas to produce the large amount of element required to build and power my tek items. 3 pairs of gachas placed 16 foundations apart with 2 owls per gacha. In addition to this a smaller room with deino and yuty egg farm for kibble. I also have a water pen with my water tames. I surround the whole base with behemoth gates as previously some people on the server were kiting titano into people's bases. I try to cryo pod the tames I don't need to leave out for the above reasons, but when the event is on nearly all will be breeding so will need to be out. I'm not trying to spoil anyone else's game I'm playing my own way.

12 hours ago, St1ckyBandit said:

At least on small tribes there should 100% be a structure limit.

Technically there's a structure limit on all official servers. But the problem is that because of how it works it won't really affect or prevent spam. Even if it did a low enough limit to reduce spam would make it pretty difficult to build a base and fit all the necessary stations/storage/etc.

Even with a low structure count, having lots of tames out can be just as bad as a massive base. The big issue is that generally large bases generally also have lots of tames sitting around, and the combination is the real killer. Especially if it's a base that isn't rendered frequently .

5 hours ago, carbonark said:

Technically there's a structure limit on all official servers. But the problem is that because of how it works it won't really affect or prevent spam. Even if it did a low enough limit to reduce spam would make it pretty difficult to build a base and fit all the necessary stations/storage/etc.

Even with a low structure count, having lots of tames out can be just as bad as a massive base. The big issue is that generally large bases generally also have lots of tames sitting around, and the combination is the real killer. Especially if it's a base that isn't rendered frequently .

Sorry but I 1000% disagree. You can absolutely have a sweet spot that allows for a sizable complete base without giving the rope to spam literally hundreds of additional foundations and spike walls.

I do agree about the dinos though, which is why I'd love to also see a smaller dino limit, at least on small tribes because after all these particular servers were created in the spirit of downsizing.

2 hours ago, St1ckyBandit said:

Sorry but I 1000% disagree. You can absolutely have a sweet spot that allows for a sizable complete base without giving the rope to spam literally hundreds of additional foundations and spike walls.

I do agree about the dinos though, which is why I'd love to also see a smaller dino limit, at least on small tribes because after all these particular servers were created in the spirit of downsizing.

You're technically right, but the problem is that those miles of spam beyond edge of render aren't all counting to the same structure limit, or at least with the way that structure limit in are actually works.

If you mean a structure limit that acts more like the tame limit does, basically just capping the number of items any given tribe can place on a map. Then something like that could absolutely work, however I would also argue that it would open up some additional problems, and also exaggerate some existing balance issues (cave meta especially). On top of that I could also see it be very easy to exploit/game that kind of system with proxy tribes.

I think a massive part of the issue with this is that you would really need entirely separate solutions for pvp and pve as well.

49 minutes ago, carbonark said:

You're technically right, but the problem is that those miles of spam beyond edge of render aren't all counting to the same structure limit, or at least with the way that structure limit in are actually works.

If you mean a structure limit that acts more like the tame limit does, basically just capping the number of items any given tribe can place on a map. Then something like that could absolutely work, however I would also argue that it would open up some additional problems, and also exaggerate some existing balance issues (cave meta especially). On top of that I could also see it be very easy to exploit/game that kind of system with proxy tribes.

I think a massive part of the issue with this is that you would really need entirely separate solutions for pvp and pve as well.

I've always been talking about a universal structure limit, not proximity based.

Small tribes is supposed to be just that, small. No alliances. Each tribe gets say 500 structures (just throwing out a #) to place on that server and thats it.

I mean caves are always gonna be great to build in just by the defensive nature of a cave. Nothing is really gonna change that.

Maybe increase the "cannot build due to nearby enemy foundation" distance to accommodate a bit for the loss of spam.

I'm sure this would be welcome in PvE too.

5 hours ago, St1ckyBandit said:

I've always been talking about a universal structure limit, not proximity based.

Small tribes is supposed to be just that, small. No alliances. Each tribe gets say 500 structures (just throwing out a #) to place on that server and thats it.

I mean caves are always gonna be great to build in just by the defensive nature of a cave. Nothing is really gonna change that.

Maybe increase the "cannot build due to nearby enemy foundation" distance to accommodate a bit for the loss of spam.

I'm sure this would be welcome in PvE too.

Personally I would say the larger issue is that limiting structures in general would really negatively change the game. You essentially would encourage people to spend all their structure limit on a single well fortified base, and discourage from building any tp's, crafting stations, farming bases, or fob's.

On PvE you'd if anything end up with more people building a single massive base and you'd make the location you build a lot more important.

Spam may be annoying, but as much as people complain about it, the impact that fields of spam has on server performance is significantly less than massive bases filled with structures and tames. A general limit on how many total structures you can place would make investing all of it into a single well equipped the most efficient option, and would end up exacerbating the issue of massive lag factory bases.

Currently the way structure limits work (as I understand it at least) is that you can only have so many structures connected to and in the same area as the first foundation you place. There are ways to end up sort of bypassing the limit, and it's essentially not effective for spam at all. But IMO reducing the current structure limit and perhaps changing how it's calculated to limit people working around it would be the best way to encourage smaller bases

4 hours ago, carbonark said:

Personally I would say the larger issue is that limiting structures in general would really negatively change the game. You essentially would encourage people to spend all their structure limit on a single well fortified base, and discourage from building any tp's, crafting stations, farming bases, or fob's.

On PvE you'd if anything end up with more people building a single massive base and you'd make the location you build a lot more important.

Spam may be annoying, but as much as people complain about it, the impact that fields of spam has on server performance is significantly less than massive bases filled with structures and tames. A general limit on how many total structures you can place would make investing all of it into a single well equipped the most efficient option, and would end up exacerbating the issue of massive lag factory bases.

Currently the way structure limits work (as I understand it at least) is that you can only have so many structures connected to and in the same area as the first foundation you place. There are ways to end up sort of bypassing the limit, and it's essentially not effective for spam at all. But IMO reducing the current structure limit and perhaps changing how it's calculated to limit people working around it would be the best way to encourage smaller bases

People make massive bases as it is WITH the spam on top of it. At least with a more restrictive structure limit we get rid of the spam.

I do like your train of thought towards the end of the post though. To add on, the key might lie in turret damage. If people were restricted to a server wide structure limit but turrets packed more of a punch, then you wouldn't need to spend absolutely all of your structure allowance on 1 over the top insanely fortified base.

Maybe some people still would, and thats their prerogative, but harder hitting turrets would allow greater flexibility for TPs, fobs, and farming outposts, while still being able to build a solid well defended main base.

I definitely feel that if bases are going to be scaled down then turret damage has to go up to make the smaller bases viable.

Even small bases with a few dinos out cause lag for me.  For my computer it does not seem to matter if it is gigantic base full of big dinos or a medium regular size base.  If I try to go past it I lag to a complete halt cannot move.  I just try hard to avoid them by flying high in the sky on a mount with much stamina.  And you can hate me if you want to I don't care but I pillar all around my base so no one can move in next to me to lag ruin my game by their building a base.  I will not fight with people in chat.  Immature yelling at other players when we are suppose to have a good time together.  Pillars are not evil.  They keep a base safe from crowding.

I thought huge concrete boxes with hundreds of dinos in them would disappear with the introduction of cryo items. But apparently that's often still not the case.

What I do to avoid getting sucked into base lag (in the worst case scenario that causes a bluescreen aka. my PS4 game app to crash) is to pillar in every direction until I can't see my base's behemoth gates anymore, so that nobody can build within the render distance of my base, and to fly high in the sky when traveling from A to B. Not much else you can do legitimately on PvE.

WC won't come on our servers and cut the bases that cause too much lag.

Pillar spamming... My biggest frustration in the beginning: No place to build my first shelter, no place to make a simple trap. Now I'm using it myself after others starting to wreck the hunting grounds next to my base or destroy the spawn of metal around my forge.
The decaying of items placed far from your base should be faster than the decay nearby, in this way at least the "forgotten" claims disappear. The "connect 2" rule should have an distance factor to a bed, smithy, fridge or other other significant base item.
(My apolgy for all the forgotten small storage boxes I can't even find back myself anymore to demolish them)

The real issue of the framerate drop/lag/freeze seems to me more how things are rendered: When flying I most of the times first see dino's, interior and back of the base being drawned and then rest of the base around it until all internals are hidden. A waste of computing power imho. Why not start rendering the visible parts first and internals only when realy nearby?

There needs to be a limit on uncryoed dinos allowed out and a universal structure limit to prevent spam. The reason it's lagging so bad now is because the Easter event is going on and tribes have tons and tons of breeder dinos out. It's comical when you transfer to SE or Extinction and there's cliff platforms and dino gate spam as far as the eye can see. I think WC is scared to make changes when people have grinded the spam out for so long but they really just need to do what's best for the game.

10 hours ago, Tylanater said:

There needs to be a limit on uncryoed dinos allowed out and a universal structure limit to prevent spam. The reason it's lagging so bad now is because the Easter event is going on and tribes have tons and tons of breeder dinos out. It's comical when you transfer to SE or Extinction and there's cliff platforms and dino gate spam as far as the eye can see. I think WC is scared to make changes when people have grinded the spam out for so long but they really just need to do what's best for the game.

Grinded ? More like duped.

Meh screw em even if they grinded it when theyre negativity impacting the game for everyone else. Give a weeks notice so they can go demo all the spam and get half the mats back then implement a structure limit that wipes it all.

Archived