Why I Havent Bought Genesis

GreenRoc

But apparently you do need your opinoin to be heard... Because why? Because it's so important? Because it will change the general player base view on ARK? Or will it just sate  your ego to know that others agree with you?

Who cares lol. I Didn't buy genesis because it looks stupid. It sounds like you have hang ups on the expansion. Perhaps tribemates, friends, or maybe an inner desire to actually play the DLC but you can't for financial reasons? If you are so content not playing genesis, why do you need validation for that decision? 

I say spend a few months in Genesis before passing judgment. It isn't one of my favourite maps either, but it has its high points. The race missions are fun (with or without competition from tribemates) and Magmasaurs have uses outside of Genesis, particularly if you like building large bases. Many other missions present interesting challenges too, even if you don't care about who has the highest score.

You don't need to make a base in every biome (and I have no idea why people approach Genesis that way; I suppose it's some purist thing). We made our home in the arctic and teleported around.

At the end of the day, I can say I got my $30 worth out of it.

While I do have some small boxes with beds in various biomes, I only have one full base in genesis.  I don't quite understand the moving around argument. 

I do understand preferring dinosaurs. I think that was the general tone set by the island . Since then, each map has ventured further into invented creatures, and it has been evident that some players preferred the real dino atmosphere. It is a matter of expectations and taste.

We run a cluster. Genesis is our main base. My favorite map is actually aberration, but genesis is second. They took some different approaches with genesis that I think added to the experience.

I am not sure what you mean about unscheduled combat? Pvp? I don't do the pvp thing. (I don't have that many hours to sink in just to be wiped) But if you do, isn't that what you're signing up for? PVP isn't a sign up sheet with open time slots....

From a PvE perspective, I love building mobile bases on Paras and the Giant Turtle, cryo-ed up dinos and move around maps like a Caravan. Add a bit more danger to it all as a Nomad and setup shop wherever. Probably one of the most fun aspects of the game and Genesis.

As for Dinos, I think there is a bit of saturation and a problem in how much they can introduce without making other creatures redundant. I feel they should have made each DLC map with it's own pool of creatures with few duplicates(with map specific skins variations which are easy to make)  and not allowing transfer of non map specific species between them to keep the feel and balance of each Map intact. Only allow transfer of all creatures to the Free DLC maps. 

Lastly it would have been a good idea to make (most)creatures have biome specific bonuses and de-buffs so there is more incentive to use creatures adapted and native to each biome. I think that would have given them more room to add more useful creatures and balance between potentially overlapping and similar types. Alas....we'll see how they do things in Ark 2

On 3/25/2021 at 5:09 AM, GreenRoc said:

I want more dino species (not made-up creatures)

I assume you also didn't buy Scorched Earth, Aberration, or Extinction either then. 

I like to build virtual homes and not feel forced to move from place to place.

You aren't forced to move, but for progression it's highly advised. I spent the majority of my Genesis playthroughs in the Snow Biome until I leave to get Magmasaurs and Rexes. 

I dont like competition or unscheduled combat.

Not an issue if you aren't in PvP, I can't understand this point. If anything, the missions are the most scheduled combat you can get in this game. 

Archived