Jump to content

What is a good pvp stat build (melee)


Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, St1ckyBandit said:

PvP is mainly about guns or dino combat in my experience, so imho melee isnt at all necessary for a good PvP build.

300 weight is too low.

Also whats your movement speed ? Speed is a much more useful stat than melee.

Im mostly using this build for early game and when I get the materials I need for good Items I mind wipe my stats

Also the normal amount of movement speed for me is 120% is that enough for a good PvP build?

Edited by thanE321
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, thanE321 said:

Im mostly using this build for early game and when I get the materials I need for good Items I mind wipe my stats

Also the normal amount of movement speed for me is 120% is that enough for a good PvP build?

I cant recall what my movement speed is currently but it's definitely over 120. 

I'm no PvP god or anything but I do have over 3k hours played. In that time I've definitely come to realize that melee is almost useless and that movement speed is really a game changer.

Speed is useful for escape or pursuit and it makes basically any PvE threat a non factor aside from stunlock animals.

If your just starting out and dont have guns, get a dragon and hit the eldritch isles drops on CI. You'll come out w a legit shotty or at least a decent bp in no time for basically no effort.

Again I'm no pvp god so someone please correct me if im wrong but melee really is fairly useless compared to other stats.

Edited by St1ckyBandit
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

If you're running a melee build, you need to get as many points into melee as possible to make it effective. At max level pre-ascension you'll end up needing to sacrifice points into other stats to make it work, generally you have 1 level into fort, roughly 200-250 hp and no more than 300 weight, everything else goes into melee. Post ascensions you can start investing into more weight, hp and even add some speed or additional fortitude.

IIRC around lvl 105 you should end up around 350-400% melee. Eventually you'll want 500+ into melee as you get some additional levels past that point.

Obviously you can feel free to play around with how many points you put into things but keep in mind that for pvp purposes you need a significant amount of melee for the build to be effective. You'll mainly rely on the ability to club people out before they can react so without enough points into melee damage that strategy doesn't work and you end up with a character that's just slower and lower hp for not much benefit.

Melee builds work EXTREMELY well if you play them right, you can spawn at blue ob on rag, collect a few mats for a club, camp the ob and take down a player in high tier flak before they even know what hit them if you catch them transferring/checking timers.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, carbonark said:

If you're running a melee build, you need to get as many points into melee as possible to make it effective. At max level pre-ascension you'll end up needing to sacrifice points into other stats to make it work, generally you have 1 level into fort, roughly 200-250 hp and no more than 300 weight, everything else goes into melee. Post ascensions you can start investing into more weight, hp and even add some speed or additional fortitude.

IIRC around lvl 105 you should end up around 350-400% melee. Eventually you'll want 500+ into melee as you get some additional levels past that point.

Obviously you can feel free to play around with how many points you put into things but keep in mind that for pvp purposes you need a significant amount of melee for the build to be effective. You'll mainly rely on the ability to club people out before they can react so without enough points into melee damage that strategy doesn't work and you end up with a character that's just slower and lower hp for not much benefit.

Melee builds work EXTREMELY well if you play them right, you can spawn at blue ob on rag, collect a few mats for a club, camp the ob and take down a player in high tier flak before they even know what hit them if you catch them transferring/checking timers.

Thankyou for you opinion. I will definitely try out the build.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, carbonark said:

If you're running a melee build, you need to get as many points into melee as possible to make it effective. At max level pre-ascension you'll end up needing to sacrifice points into other stats to make it work, generally you have 1 level into fort, roughly 200-250 hp and no more than 300 weight, everything else goes into melee. Post ascensions you can start investing into more weight, hp and even add some speed or additional fortitude.

IIRC around lvl 105 you should end up around 350-400% melee. Eventually you'll want 500+ into melee as you get some additional levels past that point.

Obviously you can feel free to play around with how many points you put into things but keep in mind that for pvp purposes you need a significant amount of melee for the build to be effective. You'll mainly rely on the ability to club people out before they can react so without enough points into melee damage that strategy doesn't work and you end up with a character that's just slower and lower hp for not much benefit.

Melee builds work EXTREMELY well if you play them right, you can spawn at blue ob on rag, collect a few mats for a club, camp the ob and take down a player in high tier flak before they even know what hit them if you catch them transferring/checking timers.

Seems like a waste to pigeonhole your character so hard that you're only good for clubbing people at obelisks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, St1ckyBandit said:

Seems like a waste to pigeonhole your character so hard that you're only good for clubbing people at obelisks.

There's a lot more you can do than just that. The point there being that you can spawn in with nothing, craft a prim club in 2 mins and ko a player in high end flak and rip their whole kit off of them before they even know what happened. That's a lot more fun than just running away.

Get a sword and you become a one man wrecking machine. Chop through stone structures for cheap early game raids. Find yourself picked by a wyvern? Just slice and dice, there's a pretty good chance you can kill the wyvern before it kills you. Webbed by a bloodstalker? As long as it's not one of those stupid 2k melee stalkers you'll probably end up killing or clubbing out the rider before it can kill you.

The thing with a melee character is that you can always ko someone faster than you can kill them. a hit or 2 with a decent club and suddenly it doesn't matter how good their flak is or if they have really good weapons because they're unconscious and all that stuff is yours now. If you bola someone and try to flamethrower/fabby/compound bow them they have time to drink medbrews, shoot back, toss out cryo's.  But they can't do any of that if they get ko'd. Just 2-3 hits, ko, yoink, then finish them off and dip. You don't need guns/bows and you don't have to craft ammo.

It doesn't really matter if you can't run from raptor's because you can either kill or ko them with 0 effort. Your movement speed doesn't matter if you're on a tame. But Melee means that you can go up against someone with a full kit and all you need are bolas and a club.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, carbonark said:

There's a lot more you can do than just that. The point there being that you can spawn in with nothing, craft a prim club in 2 mins and ko a player in high end flak and rip their whole kit off of them before they even know what happened. That's a lot more fun than just running away.

Get a sword and you become a one man wrecking machine. Chop through stone structures for cheap early game raids. Find yourself picked by a wyvern? Just slice and dice, there's a pretty good chance you can kill the wyvern before it kills you. Webbed by a bloodstalker? As long as it's not one of those stupid 2k melee stalkers you'll probably end up killing or clubbing out the rider before it can kill you.

The thing with a melee character is that you can always ko someone faster than you can kill them. a hit or 2 with a decent club and suddenly it doesn't matter how good their flak is or if they have really good weapons because they're unconscious and all that stuff is yours now. If you bola someone and try to flamethrower/fabby/compound bow them they have time to drink medbrews, shoot back, toss out cryo's.  But they can't do any of that if they get ko'd. Just 2-3 hits, ko, yoink, then finish them off and dip. You don't need guns/bows and you don't have to craft ammo.

It doesn't really matter if you can't run from raptor's because you can either kill or ko them with 0 effort. Your movement speed doesn't matter if you're on a tame. But Melee means that you can go up against someone with a full kit and all you need are bolas and a club.

How does that stack up against someone with high torpor though ?

What you're describing certainly does sound viable if you're starting with absolutely nothing but it seems limited to surprise attacks.

I've killed people in prim flak with a single shotgun blast to the chest so a melee character with 200-250 hp as you described is going to be quite squishy. Even if you get a bola off all they need to do is hit your slow weak character with 1 shot.

Yeah maybe you have a fighting chance against a wyv or bloodstalker but with low hp and no armor it doesnt have to be a god tier tame to kill you fast.

Plus shields are a thing. A player that knows what their doing can be tough to deal with even when bola'd.

Not to mention landing a bola on someone that moves at lightspeed is almost impossible. 

I do think the whole rags to riches concept is pretty awesome. Going to a full kit from a chunk of wood must feel great. I suppose I just prefer a well rounded character no matter if it's early or late game.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, St1ckyBandit said:

How does that stack up against someone with high torpor though ?

What you're describing certainly does sound viable if you're starting with absolutely nothing but it seems limited to surprise attacks.

I've killed people in prim flak with a single shotgun blast to the chest so a melee character with 200-250 hp as you described is going to be quite squishy. Even if you get a bola off all they need to do is hit your slow weak character with 1 shot.

Yeah maybe you have a fighting chance against a wyv or bloodstalker but with low hp and no armor it doesnt have to be a god tier tame to kill you fast.

Plus shields are a thing. A player that knows what their doing can be tough to deal with even when bola'd.

Not to mention landing a bola on someone that moves at lightspeed is almost impossible. 

I do think the whole rags to riches concept is pretty awesome. Going to a full kit from a chunk of wood must feel great. I suppose I just prefer a well rounded character no matter if it's early or late game.

If they have some points into fortitude it only takes an extra few swings to bring them down, depending on your melee, club damage, and their armor it might mean 1-3 additional hits. Armor and fort really don't do much against high enough melee + a decent club.

100% move speed might seem slow if you're running away or at a distance but if you're up close it doesn't take much to throw off someone's aim, and honestly if they don't already have a weapon out they may not have the time to switch to a weapon and aim before they're already out. Shields are far less effective against a club or other melee weapons than they are against ranged ones. You just run straight into them at strafe around and you'll get some hits in. It's extremely difficult to properly block melee weapons while bola'd. As for landing bolas thats more or less down to your aim, craft plenty and spam if you need to. Microraptors are also very effective at removing players off their tames and don't require good aim.

As for armor, yes prim armor or no armor doesn't do much to protect. But if you only have crap armor you won't really have anything to lose other than crap armor and a club/sword. If you've already gotten better armor then you'll be fine.

You do have to sacrifice some stats early on, but as you get more levels available you can start to round out your other stats a bit more. The stats I mentioned are only for up to 105. Once you get a few ascensions you can get some extra health, pump some more weight and even add some movement speed.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Melee has been useless every since the club nerf imo. Even with ascendant tek claws or tek sword it's kinda bad. I do remember fondly the "200% movespeed 300 melee instako everyone" builds though. Not to mention it would be really hard to pull off once you're past beach bob stage with the sheer amount of people in tek suits nowadays and how much torpor resistance the armour gives.

If I recall correctly at 160% speed you outrun everything wild except giga, yuty, rock drakes and reaper queens. To outrun those you need a lot more points though so it might not be worth it. For strictly pvp I would go as high as 200%. Even more if you are capped level.

Weight is good, if you grapple someone or something it adds your inventory weight to it. It's not uncommon for some people in pvp to have purely weight leveled characters to hold gigas or racers in place after they've loaded themselves with stone. Obviously it's also great for PvE.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...