new creature Creature Suggestion: Astroteuthis (Space Squid)

GeoEffect

Suggestion

Good day to you, survivors, and behold - Astroteuthis!

I came up with this idea because of being saddened by the fact that there's no (from what I've seen) cephalopod-like creatures, whose I find rather interesting, that aren't strictly bound to water. Then I realized that, by combining real-life vampire squid and already existing in-game Astrocetus, we can get a rather interesting creature, just need to get a lil' creative with it!
I made a dossier-like sketch, of what Astroteuthis could look like and what abilities it could have. It's far not the best, but I tried hard and put my heart and effort into it.

astroteuthis_sketch.thumb.png.6218a0d95565687c65bf870b14243386.png

Explanation:

Astroteuthis is a cautious, rather timid creature, but thanks to its size and natural abilities, it still can stand up for oneself in battle. However intimidating it may seem to survivors, who met it for the first time, there's nothing to be scared about this creature, as Astroteuthis never attacks first, and, more importantly, feeds on element dust, coming out of geysers in lunar biome, rather than meat. While in combat, depending on from what range it was attacked, it will retaliate along one of two scenarios:

1. In close combat, it will first cover its body with its webbed tentacles, then it will induce its numerous bioluminescent organs to create an enormously powerful flash that will blind surrounding enemies for a rather long time (from 10 to 15 seconds to fully recover). This form of defense is called The "Flashbang" Stance. Then it will proceed to warp away from combat zone and flee.

2. In case of ranged combat, Astroteuthis will use its natural ability to store, heat up and even shoot element dust from its "mouth" in form of extremely powerful streams that can almost seem to look like lasers. In fact, these streams have been seen to easily crash huge lunar rocks and even leave a dent on Tek structures! And don't think you can easily dodge its shots just because you've maintained distance - combining its 7 pairs of big eyes, that allow it to see much better and further than humans, and its advanced brain, you will have a hard time trying to avoid its Element Cannon.

Weaknesses:

Its short and webbed tentacles do not allow it to neither hit or get closer to bite foes with its beak. Element Cannon drains a lot of stored element dust as well as creature's power to emit light for the Flashbang Stance.

Taming:

Since Astroteuthis is rather smart, yet cautious creature, you'll have to carefully approach it and feed it some hand-made Element Dust Balls, which it really is fond of. You can craft them either in mortar and pestle or in chemistry bench by combining 1000 Element Dust with 100 Angler Gel for one Element Dust Ball. Somewhere around 20 balls required to tame a 150 lvl Astroteuthis.

Hope you'll like this suggestion and please let me know what you think about it! Any suggestions are also welcome! And if you liked it, let the developers and other players know that its worth their time!

9 replies to this server topic

I like the idea of a space squid however, to me it seems a little weak. I would suggest one of these or a combo of them to go your current idea :) 

1. Giving it a small healing beam attack. It would do little damage but restores somewhere around 5-10% of health with a cooldown somewhere around 15 seconds.

2. Splitting it's Element Cannon into two options.

The first is it's beam, it would do a large amount of damage, at the cost of hunger & tons of dust. It not closely watched it would starve & die very quickly (like 15 seconds top), as the more you use the beam the larger amount of hunger it drains & element dust it eats. It does lots of damage to players & player made structures but less damage to dinos. 

The second is a element bomb like attack, it does a little damage but a lot of torpor, it requires a set amount of element dust & has a cooldown of 30 seconds. It's also not immune to it's own or others bomb attack making it crucial to keep watch on where your bombs land to avoid knocking yourself or your squid out.

3. Making it a hostile & passive tame. As a creature of intelligence & strength it requires something that can match it in battle in order to gain its loyalty. It must be bested in combat (knocked out & allowed to wake up) before it will allow anyone close enough to try and earn its trust. Watch out though, its rather testy still from the fight and may try attacking you still.

4. If the Astroteuthis wishes to breed, it must it returns to the ancient lands of its ancestors, the mighty giant squid. It requires being bred and raised while fully submerged in water like the Diplocaulus & Beelzebufo.

5. If it's health drops below 50% it automatically begins to use it healing beam, regardless of what it's rider says to do.

6. If it's health drops below 30% in a short amount of time it goes on a rampage dismounting you, and attacking ANY living creature around it.

If going with all of these (may not be a good idea?) I would suggest upping the tame cost to around 30-50 element dust balls, possibly more.

I might have a *slight* addiction to squids and *may* have went a bit overboard with this XD .

On 5/5/2021 at 2:45 PM, GeoEffect said:

Actually, I kinda mistakened squids' behavior for octopuses, because squids are more aggressive/territorial and more cooperative in their temperament, while octopuses are usually solitary and NOT territorial, so they will not attack anything they don't see as prey. However, in case of vampire squid (on which both Astro and Tusoteuthis are based), they behavioral and physiological traits are thought to be taken both from squids and octopuses, though, due to specificity of vampire's habitat, it's diet consists of pieces of food, falling from upper sea levels, aka detritivore. So is Astroteuthis, at least on my original intention, but given with its much better defensive abilities, it, unlike vampire squid, can actually stand up for itself. Though due to its large size and diet & behavior remaining similar to vampire squid, it doesn't need to defend itself often, but if it needs to, I can assure you, it will pack quite a punch.

I'm not gonna judge it, its a space squid XD .

On 4/25/2021 at 1:58 AM, TheTwistedKeeper said:

I like the idea of a space squid however, to me it seems a little weak. I would suggest one of these or a combo of them to go your current idea :) 

1. Giving it a small healing beam attack. It would do little damage but restores somewhere around 5-10% of health with a cooldown somewhere around 15 seconds.

2. Splitting it's Element Cannon into two options.

The first is it's beam, it would do a large amount of damage, at the cost of hunger & tons of dust. It not closely watched it would starve & die very quickly (like 15 seconds top), as the more you use the beam the larger amount of hunger it drains & element dust it eats. It does lots of damage to players & player made structures but less damage to dinos. 

The second is a element bomb like attack, it does a little damage but a lot of torpor, it requires a set amount of element dust & has a cooldown of 30 seconds. It's also not immune to it's own or others bomb attack making it crucial to keep watch on where your bombs land to avoid knocking yourself or your squid out.

3. Making it a hostile & passive tame. As a creature of intelligence & strength it requires something that can match it in battle in order to gain its loyalty. It must be bested in combat (knocked out & allowed to wake up) before it will allow anyone close enough to try and earn its trust. Watch out though, its rather testy still from the fight and may try attacking you still.

4. If the Astroteuthis wishes to breed, it must it returns to the ancient lands of its ancestors, the mighty giant squid. It requires being bred and raised while fully submerged in water like the Diplocaulus & Beelzebufo.

5. If it's health drops below 50% it automatically begins to use it healing beam, regardless of what it's rider says to do.

6. If it's health drops below 30% in a short amount of time it goes on a rampage dismounting you, and attacking ANY living creature around it.

If going with all of these (may not be a good idea?) I would suggest upping the tame cost to around 30-50 element dust balls, possibly more.

I might have a *slight* addiction to squids and *may* have went a bit overboard with this XD .

Hmm, all you ideas sound actually really good, though i'd intend for it to be of docile/cautious temperament (retaliates and then flees when attacked, much like real squids), but it still can have a KO tame, or, maybe a passive tame after you've fought it and proven yourself worthy (similar to that implemented in Immersive Taming mod).

On 4/26/2021 at 1:45 AM, GeoEffect said:

Hmm, all you ideas sound actually really good, though i'd intend for it to be of docile/cautious temperament (retaliates and then flees when attacked, much like real squids), but it still can have a KO tame, or, maybe a passive tame after you've fought it and proven yourself worthy (similar to that implemented in Immersive Taming mod).

Thanks, I tend to go overboard if squids are involved :)I didn't no real squids did that. Docile/cautious makes much more sense for a squid temperament then what I suggested :) . 

Its main feature is the powerful element dust cannon, which allows it to act as near-end or end-game siege weapon, it can be made to have greater explosion radius and/or deal more damage to larger creatures, Tek shields and buildings.  And again, I am not the most qualified at this, as that is the first suggestion I made, so any feedback, suggestions and thoughts are more than welcome.

On 4/28/2021 at 6:28 AM, TheTwistedKeeper said:

Thanks, I tend to go overboard if squids are involved :)I didn't no real squids did that. Docile/cautious makes much more sense for a squid temperament then what I suggested :) . 

Actually, I kinda mistakened squids' behavior for octopuses, because squids are more aggressive/territorial and more cooperative in their temperament, while octopuses are usually solitary and NOT territorial, so they will not attack anything they don't see as prey. However, in case of vampire squid (on which both Astro and Tusoteuthis are based), they behavioral and physiological traits are thought to be taken both from squids and octopuses, though, due to specificity of vampire's habitat, it's diet consists of pieces of food, falling from upper sea levels, aka detritivore. So is Astroteuthis, at least on my original intention, but given with its much better defensive abilities, it, unlike vampire squid, can actually stand up for itself. Though due to its large size and diet & behavior remaining similar to vampire squid, it doesn't need to defend itself often, but if it needs to, I can assure you, it will pack quite a punch.

Archived