If extinction was remade, how could it be better?

Dinobros2000

So some things of the top of my head(and btw this is like how all the mechanics and look were set up for the map, not the entire format/shape/biomes of the map, or the creatures(tho minor TLC stuff is ok) just the way everything is)

so first off, not only is the map one of the smaller map, with one of the least depth up and down, a massive section is unplayable, another 2 sections corrupt can easily stumble in and kill you and ur base(Desert and Forest), and 2 (desert and snow) are extremes with annoying critters so are hard to live in. The last section, the city, is sorta hard to find water, really annoying constant cliffs to fall from, and has droidekas, which, suck. 
So first off, Corruption barriers to prevent corrupted from entering any of the 4 playable biomes, 2 bigger map, maybe multiple proto arks with similar snow and or desert biomes, and a much, much, much larger underground forest, because I want this thing to spread out under like half the map. Bigger basicly is extinction scaled up. Add more of the desert dinos, to the desert, and have an area that isn’t 50000 trillion velono, and has herbis. There is no biome diversity. At least snow area has a little. In the city, less gd giant cliffs and ravines you can’t see till your dead. Also, the cliffs and ravines make traveling a 100 foot distance sometimes take 30 minutes early game, or with non pickupable dinos with no cyros or lugging items.  Lastly, make droidekas less op, smaller aggro range, and attack less things if it has to be aggressive at all. Lastly, it’s so sad to look at epic extinction concept art, and the Abberation assention, but then you get there and is kinda just a desert. No red fog and horror film this world is dead apocalypse look from a few concept arts and the assention. And also more wasteland biome diversity, you did a pretty amazing job on this actually, but just a bit more wrecked human stuff. I mean most towns arnt just main city with a wall, then nothing, usually there’s a poor section, a more middle class, and some people that can’t or don’t live in massive Tek buildings or inside the walls, also, assuming there was defenses, why arnt there wrecked tanks or anything else like that.  

I'm assuming you're a PC player. I'm a PS4 player so the only thing I wish they would do for extinction is reduce the constant, crippling lag and server kicks because I have been screwed out of way too many 50k veins while on wave 4 out of 5. I don't even think of trying to log in during events because its just a waste of time. If they can solve these problems then by all means gussy the map up because it does have amazing potential but its current state is frustrating and I don't think it could handle any additions at this point.

The last picture was basically the teaser at the end of the Abberation ending cutscene right? Still probably my favorite ending cutscene because of that part at the end so I understand your enthusiasm to want to improve upon it.

On 3/19/2021 at 11:28 AM, LordHotPockets said:

it does have amazing potential but its current state is frustrating and I don't think it could handle any additions at this point.

The last picture was basically the teaser at the end of the Abberation ending cutscene right? Still probably my favorite ending cutscene because of that part at the end so I understand your enthusiasm to want to improve upon it.

The first one and middle one. The last one is before the fake shield disappears, the first one is after the shield disappears, and middle is in real game. 
I do think it has amazing potential too, and it’s actually my favorite map(yes I am PC player and I have good pc so not too much lag) and I’m not saying additions, I’m saying if it was remade.

21 hours ago, St1ckyBandit said:

More interesting wasteland area. Its basically an ugly brown hellscape which I guess is what a wasteland consists of but its just meh from a gameplay perspective. 

Yes, I do think it could use variation too, as said, if it looked like at the end of ab cutsceen, it would be amazing!

42 minutes ago, Dinobros2000 said:

Yes, I do think it could use variation too, as said, if it looked like at the end of ab cutsceen, it would be amazing!

There's a lot of good suggestions in here, and most would have made Extinction a rousing success for the game, I mean a real triumph.  As an avid ARK'er myself, Ext was rough but still very fun.

-Get rid of manas:  That would have been nice.  They wouldn't be the shell of an echo of a ghost of what they were originally.

-Make the whole map bigger:  That would have ALSO been fantastic but I think it would add to the lag and desync issues.

-OSD/Ele.Vein rework with Genesis mission tech:  Again, it would have been great too, but c'est la vie.

Is this just a thought exercise in what they hopefully keep in mind (in terms of design) for Genesis 2/ARK 2?  I'm just thinking myself, Ext brought a lot of good content with the not-so-good, and talking about what we liked about the DLC might help out just as much!  You remaking Extinction, DinoBros???  :D

7 hours ago, TheDonn said:

There's a lot of good suggestions in here, and most would have made Extinction a rousing success for the game, I mean a real triumph.  As an avid ARK'er myself, Ext was rough but still very fun.

-Get rid of manas:  That would have been nice.  They wouldn't be the shell of an echo of a ghost of what they were originally.

-Make the whole map bigger:  That would have ALSO been fantastic but I think it would add to the lag and desync issues.

-OSD/Ele.Vein rework with Genesis mission tech:  Again, it would have been great too, but c'est la vie.

Is this just a thought exercise in what they hopefully keep in mind (in terms of design) for Genesis 2/ARK 2?  I'm just thinking myself, Ext brought a lot of good content with the not-so-good, and talking about what we liked about the DLC might help out just as much!  You remaking Extinction, DinoBros???  :D

I still love extinction as one of my favorite maps(I’m expecting Gen 2 to be my new fav however... I like everything about it so far.) 

getting rid of mana is not very high on my wishlist honestly... I mean what a cool dino concept, look and abilities... but... it’s OP for pvp and not quite so much for pve(see PvP and PvE balances....) so if there was a way to do PvP and PvE balances, or find some sort of change and or buff to make it the same amazing dino but not op, that’s my choice. 

this next point, most of this lag is due to dense foliage, creatures, and or SM(static meshes, AKA non harvestable stuff in game that isn’t the basic landscape.) If redesigned correctly, the lag would be lessened. The biggest problem with extinction is probably 3 things lag wize. First off, the city, not only has dense foliage, SMs(buildings, vines, giant trees ESPECIALY WATERFALLS), but has to compensate with more creatures on each layer of the city, and some of the critters(Enforcers, droideka) have special attacks affects or coding making them laggy, 2 a general large density of sms foliage and creatures for wasteland difficulty and ascetics. 3 a giant layer biome(the sunken forest) which 2xs the lag easily, if not more then that due to ceiling designs and other stuff. However, despite this, as I said earlier, left right, forward back(non hight) directions can be reduced lag much easier, making chunks to load in gradually farther sections in worse and wosre lod(level of detail) depending on the chunks. Also foliage from a distance turns to a 2D sprite image to reduce lag. 

OSD element Gen style? Still don’t understand your meaning? I mean a no build zone, sure , thank you. But I don’t think that’s what you mean, can u describe in more detail.

lastly, Idk, seamed like a fun thing to talk about, and or get ideas.. and no not quite. I am a modder however and am making my first map, post on my profile if u wanna know more...

Mostly though about it cuz the recent corrupted PvE patch, what else could be improved and if it was redone, how could it be better.

P.S. how come you didn’t say ANYTHING about the cosmetic design? The only part that actually looks good is the city(which looks amazing btw) but the wasteland and other two were kinda lacking. Wasteland in terms of the is a terrifying post apocalyptic wasteland and not a desert with purple blobs. And the other two had no biome diversity, basic landscape, no creature diversity, and almost no details put into effects like wind ripples, environmental effects and or cos ethics. 

On 3/21/2021 at 12:31 AM, Dinobros2000 said:

OSD element Gen style? Still don’t understand your meaning? I mean a no build zone, sure , thank you. But I don’t think that’s what you mean, can u describe in more detail.

Someone else said this (it was @Destrian) , and they didn't elaborate much, but the reason I liked it is because the OSD/Vein events are marked only with sound and a single 'e' menu.  Using Genesis mission "tech" (I think the "tech" Destrian means is the on-screen/sidebar information display) to clarify timers, waves, enemies remaining, and maybe a total killed would make it feel more connected instead of just seemingly random sound-stingers when its initialized, as you beat the waves, and ultimately finish the defense.

lastly, Idk, seamed like a fun thing to talk about, and or get ideas.. and no not quite. I am a modder however and am making my first map, post on my profile if u wanna know more...

Mostly though about it cuz the recent corrupted PvE patch, what else could be improved and if it was redone, how could it be better.

P.S. how come you didn’t say ANYTHING about the cosmetic design? The only part that actually looks good is the city(which looks amazing btw) but the wasteland and other two were kinda lacking. Wasteland in terms of the is a terrifying post apocalyptic wasteland and not a desert with purple blobs. And the other two had no biome diversity, basic landscape, no creature diversity, and almost no details put into effects like wind ripples, environmental effects and or cos ethics. 

The cosmetic portion, I don't have any issue with the way it looks.  Sure, there might be spots that have a weird texture, but I like the overall design of Extinction from a cosmetic perspective!

Ps

ps

what is your background/profile pic? A leafy sea dragon?

Dragalge, the first dual-type Poison-Dragon Pokemon.  It's modeled after a seahorse, but in the Pokemon world they are kinda assholes and are aggressively territorial, and will attack ships and passerbys that get too close to the parts of the ocean they live in.

1 hour ago, TheDonn said:

Someone else said this (it was @Destrian) , and they didn't elaborate much, but the reason I liked it is because the OSD/Vein events are marked only with sound and a single 'e' menu.  Using Genesis mission "tech" (I think the "tech" Destrian means is the on-screen/sidebar information display) to clarify timers, waves, enemies remaining, and maybe a total killed would make it feel more connected instead of just seemingly random sound-stingers when its initialized, as you beat the waves, and ultimately finish the defense.

The cosmetic portion, I don't have any issue with the way it looks.  Sure, there might be spots that have a weird texture, but I like the overall design of Extinction from a cosmetic perspective!

Dragalge, the first dual-type Poison-Dragon Pokemon.  It's modeled after a seahorse, but in the Pokemon world they are kinda assholes and are aggressively territorial, and will attack ships and passerbys that get too close to the parts of the ocean they live in.

Oh, just much more info and data on what’s going on. Yeah, That’s good. I’d also like if the cooldown before next wave was 5 secs longer, cuz my bird losses almost all its stam every round(I use 4 good enforcers, a 2 Megatheriums, a rex and 5 velono s all breed and imprinted, I ride a argentavis and scout for stragglers, draw dinos away from fight and check up on dinos and whistle them around.. use argy cuz it can pick of the enforcers and can regain HP and stam with body kill) 

I thought it would look much cooler with a more post apocalyptic wasteland like the end of abb showed.. the map is really good tho in the city and the mini/proto arks and the wasteland.

intresting. I don’t anything Pokémon tho, so I only have 1/8 a clue what ur talking about..

Definitely add a Fire Titan to the Sulfur Fields, and maybe make that whole area a little more bearable. I(personally) can't find any reason to go in there. A unique tameable creature over there would be nice, like a bulky harvester that uses pressurized water attacks to mine resources or a fire version of the Managarmr.

Make the trip in and out of the Forest less of a task, though I'm not quite sure how, maybe with air vents or something?

Idk why everyone wants Mana's removed, I think you ignore the fact that normally they're actually pretty mediocre, and are only made OP through breeding and mutations. A little rework may be in order however.

If the map were to be made bigger, I'd want more places that are safe from meteors in the Wasteland, or atleast get the Meteors toned down. Also, maybe Corrupt creatures shouldn't be able to destroy metal and Tek structures, or atleast the smaller ones. I'm fine with Gigas and Rexes doing it, just not Peteras and Dilos.

• 4 months later...

From a technical standpoint, +1 on the server lag. I always thought it was due to the amount of player structures and dinos, but it's probably a larger issue.

I play PvE, and the only issue with manas is that I seem to get booted from the server on every server save if I'm mounted on one! I don't use them for that reason now.

From a gameplay perspective, not much, maybe add some new dynamic to the wasteland. Perhaps add 3 caves with artifacts required for the king titan fight: one along the east side cliffs, one in the tar fields, and maybe one under the sulfur field or forbidden zone.

Archived