My friend says Rexes are useless?

BeachBob69

So me and my friend recently started playing ark, and hes been watching this youtuber called cjthecheesdj. He sent me this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkjHiXGx7X4&ab_channel=Cjthecheesedj, and he told me that rock drakes were one of the most useful creatures, and wyverns, rexes, yutys, and theris were all basically useless. He said that megatheriums were just as good for boss fights, and yutys were just a niche creature that most people didnt need. He also said rock drakes were like the cooler better version of wyverns. He plays on Aberration, while I mostly play on scorched, so he always mantains that Aberration creatures are the coolest, and all scorched creatures suck. He then says that my opinion is invalid  because I am not good enough. If someone could please put some sense into his head and agree with me that rexes, theris, and yutys are so much more important than rock drakes on most maps, that would be much appreciated. We play on singleplayer or dedicated servers with friends, so no pvp.

God where to start.....it sounds like you're pretty clued in about the usefulness of those dinosaurs and honestly seems like your friends just being pretty stubborn. Anyway just to clarify as a third party for you.... No rexes aren't useless they're the go to for boss fights off of aberration for a reason they're tanky and have a good health to damage output. While they aren't always the best for the job ie when theris can heal better for the dragon or megatheriums can get a buff fighting the broodmother they are the best option if you want to fight bosses with the least amount of breeding needed. Yutis and Daeodons also have their place as support Dino's for these main fighters due to the buffs they provide. Aberration has what many would consider the easiest boss fight given Rockwell can actually be completed on foot without any Dino's. Rock drakes are the best aberration Dino for getting about on ab but overall they're not that strong especially given their slow attack. They are easily beaten on any map that allows fliers also just to note if you can transfer creatures both managarms and blood stalker offer better mobility than them on ab.

Well I've just spent far too much effort explaining what you probably already know but I hope this helps convince your friend. If he still won't listen just tell him to try his drake against your wyvern or something at the end of the day you can still have favourites but it's not fair to just rag on other Dino's just because they aren't you favourite xD

Well if he plays only aberration, its clear why he would find wyverns & rexes useless - they can't be used on that map. If you play e.g. the island, you'll find rexes a solid choice for the bosses, except for the dragon, where therizinos shine. Yutis are also useful for the bosses because of their buff. Wyverns are a great flyer, great speed, super easy to tame (if crystal), can hold its own in fight (or just fly away if the situation becomes dangerous).

Rock drakes are a cool mount, I really like them, but outside of aberration they are in fact the niche creature, imho. They really should be made breedable to become more useful. And outside of the broodmother fight & swamp cave, I have not heard of people using megatheriums much.

11 hours ago, BeachBob69 said:

So me and my friend recently started playing ark, and hes been watching this youtuber called cjthecheesdj. He sent me this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkjHiXGx7X4&ab_channel=Cjthecheesedj, and he told me that rock drakes were one of the most useful creatures, and wyverns, rexes, yutys, and theris were all basically useless. He said that megatheriums were just as good for boss fights, and yutys were just a niche creature that most people didnt need. He also said rock drakes were like the cooler better version of wyverns. He plays on Aberration, while I mostly play on scorched, so he always mantains that Aberration creatures are the coolest, and all scorched creatures suck. He then says that my opinion is invalid  because I am not good enough. If someone could please put some sense into his head and agree with me that rexes, theris, and yutys are so much more important than rock drakes on most maps, that would be much appreciated. We play on singleplayer or dedicated servers with friends, so no pvp.

For me Ark is designed in the way that each boss require specific tames to kill it or technology (megamek on extinction). Which tames is on you to discover and breed that line form start to sickness.

For that also rex ofc have his place and use.  

First, your "friend" is quite insulting to you. No friend of mine would even think to regard me with such contemptuous tone.

Second... he is objectively wrong when he says Rockdrakes are more useful than Rexes, Yuti, Wynerns, or Theri . Usefulness can be subjective for the task, and certainly a specific map can make the difference... but a Rockdrake has only ONE area of strength... mobility... and even that on one map.

Under no circumstance would a Rock Drake be a superior mobility tame on any other map than Aberration when compared to the Wyvern. Rock Drakes can have burst speed that is awesome, but mobility is as much about continuity of speed and control. A max level tamed Rock Drake would fall or flee in a fight against any max level Wyvern, rex, Yuti, or theri. I can certainly add to that list with other combat tames. 

Rexes are the workhorse of most boss fights. They are easy to tame/breed, and their health/damage per level is insane.

And Theris are not just a great combat tame... they are in the top tier of resource gatherers.  Sound useful to you? Hell, a Wyvern can collect massive thatch and some wood.

And lets talk about speed... I have a max level Procoptodon that can cross any map faster than any Max lvl Rockdrake or max bred Wyvern. It packs enough damage kick any untamed Rockdrake to death, and would stand toe to toe with a tamed one. He's a wild Rex killer with a mobility that is insane. How can this be? He can level speed and a little bit goes a long way. I am confident taking him to any map.

All that said, I REALLY like Rock Drakes. They are a top mobility tame. Getting somewhere in the short to medium distance, over land or water, they are excellent and a blast to ride... with enough of combat damage to feel secure from untamed dinos. 

On 3/18/2021 at 7:06 PM, BeachBob69 said:

I smell bs.......but hey, Ill bite. First off, I love cj too. He is interesting, does some good vids, but much like all other information, its best to cross reference....Go with nooblets, cj, neebs, cantex.....take all the information, cross them together and see what they all agree on to make your best decisions on. 

With that said, Im going to go down the list of the things you just said and make points on the good, bad, and ugly.
Rock drakes are most useful on aberration, especially since it is "kind of" the only flyer in the map that you are allowed to use. Your not allowed to bring in argentavis or other flyers from the other maps. So yeah, rock drakes in aberration, absolute best. In other maps however, rock drakes can be useful, but Im not sure if Id say they are the "BEST"
Wyverns have their own place as well, however they a bit more universal. The ability to breath on something and then fly away faster than other creatures is almost inarguable, doing hit n runs with a fire wyvern is a safe way of killing something, spitting poison from miles away without worry of damage is powerful as well, and when it comes to brutal HP drain, a lightning wyvern will take down anything if you can tank some damage.
Rexes, theri's, and yuty's still have their place as boss fighters, no question. Especially when a deadon is along for the ride as well.
Megatheriums are good against the spider, but I would NOT pit them against a dragon, even a gamma dragon will demolish them. You would need some crazy breed time to get the mutation stats going. And don't even think about an ascension run with them, they are useless against the overseerer. 

In all honesty, the aberration creatures do have some pretty colors going on, but if you was to move on to Extinction map, the aberration creatures would start to show that their abilities is just for aberration only. Health is lower, but damage is higher. Ontop of that, I promise your friend would give up rock drakes for a wyvern after the third or forth journey across the map. He would be hoping repeatedly just to get a lil glide going and hoping he doesn't run out of stamina next to a corrupted giga, while you just fly along kilometers ahead of him.

All in all, I have to say that I feel like each creature in each map is different and typically more useful to the map they spawn in. However its only to that map with just a few exceptions such as giga, wyvern, rock elemental, snow owl, and perhaps a few others as well.
As for a rock drake in other maps, not too sure to be honest, felt like the best place for them to shine was in aberation, but in other maps, they become a bit more meh than "most awsomeness thing ever!" Like they are in aberation.

And there is my two cents worth.

So I play official pve, and therefore rexes are one of the most important tames you can get.

But I also watch a lot of pvp youtube material, kishko,hod,exfibo,jayex,vindactur,apex, you name it Ive probably watched a bit of their stuff. I came to a conclusion more recently that I never see people using rexes other than if they are going to do a boss fight. Its kinda gigas or nothing unless they are on like day 1-5 on a freshly wiped server. No one is using rexes to raid or pvp fight any other tribes.

So ignoring the fact that your buddy is on aberration and is obviously bias as you cant tame or use rexes there, if he was talking about pvp usability than I would probably agree with him that rexes are useless. But as I said before even then you are going to want them to do most boss fights.

Also you arent going to be getting away from a pursuing mana on a rock drake. A wyvern gives you the ability to fly up higher than the mana can jump but a rock drake is limited to jumping and gliding so you would be screwed in that fight. Then theri's are one of the most versatile harvesters who also are powerhouses who can arguably be even better than rexes for some bosses especially factoring in their ability to heal with veggie cakes and their smaller more nimble size helps sometimes so In no way are theri's useless.

Yuti's, well I would say they are the least useful tames out of the list you mentioned. Yuti's sole purposes are to make you eggs for extraordinary kibble, and to buff your army in a boss fight as well as in a pvp fight but they arent good at anything else. I do search out yutis to kill when I need pelt/wool and I dont want to go looking for sheep, they give good returns on pelt when harvested.

Archived