what can kill a tame "anonymously", i.e. without a reason specified in the log?

heliantha

As i was riding through the redwoods on my bary, i was dismounted and killed by a thyla (stupid, I know - I was close to the exit and stopped watching the trees, big mistake 😕). As I flew back to the redwoods, I received a message that my shoulder pet was killed by the thyla. This was no surprise, sadly I had expected this. However, seconds later, I received another message - my bary had also been killed. This time, no reason for the death of my dino was given, and no reason can be found in the tribe log. The bary had 10k life, an ascended saddle and was at full hp - it definitely wasn't the stupid thyla that killed it. When I reached my body about 1 minute later, no other dinos were close, except for the thyla. Curiously, the bary left no body bag behind, meaning the saddle is also gone. What could have caused this?

11 minutes ago, RedOne said:

Fell through the mesh?

This is my assumption as to what happened here too. Your dino definitely didnt die to the thyla if you were gone for such a short time not to mention while you were gone both your dino and the thyla would have been in stasis not attacking each other until rendered in by your or someone else. So it was almost certainly in my mind pushed into the mesh by the thyla and anti mesh killed it. It should be noted in the tribe log given that anti mesh killed it even though it doesnt broadcast it on your screen like that when it died.

Also the no bag thing in such a short time is a dead giveaway it wasnt killed conventionally.

2 hours ago, Piffguru said:

So it was almost certainly in my mind pushed into the mesh by the thyla and anti mesh killed it. It should be noted in the tribe log given that anti mesh killed it even though it doesnt broadcast it on your screen like that when it died.

Also the no bag thing in such a short time is a dead giveaway it wasnt killed conventionally.

If something dies to anti-mesh it would be specifically stated in the log along with x/y/z coords of where it died. IIRC it also doesn't display a message when a tame is deleted due to anti-mesh, because technically the tame doesn't actually "die". While I agree that something odd happened here, especially because of no bag being found, anti mesh seems unlikely since it shouldn't leave much question as to what happened.

Weird things can happen with bags dropping so it's possible that it may have dropped somewhere it may not have been able to seen or accessed. It's possible the bag could have been anti meshed, though I believe that should have also shown up in the the tribe log.

log.png.242359750602d19fca41974458f29cab.png

Here's the relevant part of the log, as you can see 1) it all happened in a very short timespan and 2) there's nothing about anti mesh in there. but I noticed something else: there's no reason for my own death, either. As I remember it, the thyla dismounted me, I survived its initial attack with a sliver of health left, immediately started chugging down health pots and tried to re-mount my bary. But then I just dropped dead, and it took forever for the respawn screen to show up. (well, not forever, but I definitely was looking at a pitch black screen far longer than usual, which had me worried). I assumed the thyla just bit me really hard and killed me, but maybe there was something strange going on 🤔

Eh, I guess I'll never know. I should probably be happy that I got my own body bag back, and the chibi I was levelling.

Archived