PvE: Can I take possession of the abandoned loot of other players?

Entenkiller

A player who does not come back into the game often leaves loot in closets and boxes.
The base was automatically destroyed by the system and all that remains are the cabinets and boxes. See the screenshot!
The box timer runs for 60 days. Closets about 16 days.

1. Can I take possession of the lost boxes?
2. Can I secure and defend the loot against other players?
3. Can I secure and install the "loot" in a new base?
4. If the owner shows up again, can the owner ask for the loot back?

What's your opinion?

ARK_556.jpg

• Volunteer Moderator
14 minutes ago, Entenkiller said:

1. Can I take possession of the lost boxes?
2. Can I secure and defend the loot against other players?
3. Can I secure and install the "loot" in a new base?
4. If the owner shows up again, can the owner ask for the loot back?

1. If the structures auto-decay and you are around to collect the bags, yes, you can take it.

2-3. If you build around other players' structures on PvE and get reported, you will be in trouble.

4. Yes, they can ask for it. However, you can deny their request. Once their loot auto-decayed and is up for grab, it is no longer theirs as per the current game rules.

for the vaults and dedicated storage, you are free to pillar around them.  You shouldn't box over them, if you do, do it on the last day of the timer so that you have given them ample time to get to the storages and reduce any risk of them complaining that they were boxed up.  Should they show up before timer runs out, the timers would reset. 

Alternatively, instead of boxing, you could use a tek force field and set it down in the last 10 minutes of the timer running out and make the field size cover the whole area so only you get to loot the vaults when the timer comes up.

had this EXACT thing happen to me, here is how it goes.....first you must wait for it to decay, once it decays it destroys itself and you must then collect everything before the decay timer on the bags expire.
However thats the trick.....those things decay FAST! you must prioritize whats most important and then attempt to collect as much as you can as fast as you can into something that will not decay or despawn as soon as you leave. Best to bring a bank vault and a stone foundation to sit it on that you can place nearby. Another trick is a flock of argies as they can be used as a temporary storage unit, but can be placed anywhere without worry of getting them set into place near other player structures.
Id say blueprints first, high end gear, high tier materials {hard polymer, electronics, ect.}, and then anything else that is substantially important to you and your play through.

Sadly I also encountered dozens of uncharged cryopods that had become depleted. I hoped they didn't have epic tames, but even with such a loss in the back of my mind, they did plug in and start to recharge, saving me time and resources to make them. So it might be a good idea to save as many as you can, even if they have the same depleted issue.

I have benefited from others auto-decayed property. I have also agonised with the morality or a in game friends stuff timing out in front of my base. But the best advice I saw is, if you do not pick up the drop bag after the structure decays it will be gone forever. You are saving what ever you find from oblivion. 

9 hours ago, invincibleqc said:

2-3. If you build around other players' structures on PvE and get reported, you will be in trouble.

Of course, I don't build in or block a playful base.
Do individual Tek boxes and cabinets count as a structure?
Chests and cupboards have no structure radius and do not require any floor.

• Volunteer Moderator
2 hours ago, Entenkiller said:

Of course, I don't build in or block a playful base.
Do individual Tek boxes and cabinets count as a structure?
Chests and cupboards have no structure radius and do not require any floor.

Not only they are structures, but they are structures owned by someone else and still belong to them as long as the timer is ticking. If you forbid them access to their storage and get reported, you will be punished for it. While them quitting for good is a possibility, it is also likely possible they lost their base because they lost their character/ownership of their tribe and are waiting assistance for that. At the end of the day, do so at your own risk; just don't make a thread complaining about it if you get wiped after blocking someone's structures. 🙃

On 3/13/2021 at 2:12 AM, wizard03 said:

had this EXACT thing happen to me, here is how it goes.....first you must wait for it to decay, once it decays it destroys itself and you must then collect everything before the decay timer on the bags expire.
However thats the trick.....those things decay FAST! you must prioritize whats most important and then attempt to collect as much as you can as fast as you can into something that will not decay or despawn as soon as you leave. Best to bring a bank vault and a stone foundation to sit it on that you can place nearby. Another trick is a flock of argies as they can be used as a temporary storage unit, but can be placed anywhere without worry of getting them set into place near other player structures.
Id say blueprints first, high end gear, high tier materials {hard polymer, electronics, ect.}, and then anything else that is substantially important to you and your play through.

Sadly I also encountered dozens of uncharged cryopods that had become depleted. I hoped they didn't have epic tames, but even with such a loss in the back of my mind, they did plug in and start to recharge, saving me time and resources to make them. So it might be a good idea to save as many as you can, even if they have the same depleted issue.

Storages dont auto decay. They need to be demolished manually once timer is gone. However they will go poof if they fall. Vaults reset their decay time on fall.

ok, this may explain why I found a bunch of bank vaults out in the middle of the woods once....The first place didn't have any vaults, but they did have the tek storage units. Once the building decayed tho, it all turned into bags.
The bank vault thing was weird. Its just a couple of them, and they only had basic materials....fiber, wood, thatch.

Either way, good luck!

Archived