Constant Game Crashes and I am clueless.

DranDivine

I have a server hosted from my PC as part of a cluster (So I can launch other maps and transfer without sitting on loading screen), and I was playing on it for a couple of hours today without any problem whatsoever. Then I turned off the server and my game before heading out with my sister for a few hours. I get back, and I launch the server, no problem, but as soon as I open the server browser and my server pops up, my client crashes. This doesn't happen if my server is not running, and I don't know what to do about it. I even loaded up backups from when I quit last night even, and still the same issue.

I have tried verifying files, and limited the server browser pings / min on steam, among other things (I can't remember atm. I am tired and annoyed and it's late). Please help me. I just want to be able to play on my server again. I am going to try one last thing now that I'm not sure if I have tried yet, which is to delete and redownload all mods on both client and server, and test it tomorrow if it works, but if it doesn't, any help would be greatly appreciated. And this started before the last update, so I don't think it's related to a specific update.

VERSION: 323.17 
UnknownModule!UnknownFunction (0x0000021a3a350000) + 0 bytes [UnknownFile:0]
steamclient64.dll!UnknownFunction (0x00007fff7c7398a2) + 0 bytes [UnknownFile:0]
steamclient64.dll!UnknownFunction (0x00007fff7c73d97a) + 0 bytes [UnknownFile:0]
steamclient64.dll!UnknownFunction (0x00007fff7d054fc7) + 0 bytes [UnknownFile:0]
steamclient64.dll!UnknownFunction (0x00007fff7c73e874) + 0 bytes [UnknownFile:0]
steamclient64.dll!UnknownFunction (0x00007fff7c73b1a4) + 0 bytes [UnknownFile:0]
steamclient64.dll!UnknownFunction (0x00007fff7cd41dcc) + 0 bytes [UnknownFile:0]
steam_api64.dll!UnknownFunction (0x0000000050b656c4) + 0 bytes [UnknownFile:0]
ShooterGame.exe!FOnlineAsyncTaskManagerSteam::OnlineTick() (0x00007ff677b579c9) + 0 bytes [f:\build\live323\engine\source\runtime\online\onlinesubsystemsteam\private\onlineasynctaskmanagersteam.cpp:130]
ShooterGame.exe!FOnlineAsyncTaskManager::Run() (0x00007ff676c1ba49) + 0 bytes [f:\build\live323\engine\source\runtime\online\onlinesubsystem\private\onlineasynctaskmanager.cpp:65]
ShooterGame.exe!FRunnableThreadWin::Run() (0x00007ff676775a26) + 0 bytes [f:\build\live323\engine\source\runtime\core\private\windows\windowsrunnablethread.cpp:73]
ShooterGame.exe!FRunnableThreadWin::GuardedRun() (0x00007ff676770d88) + 8 bytes [f:\build\live323\engine\source\runtime\core\private\windows\windowsrunnablethread.cpp:26]
KERNEL32.DLL!UnknownFunction (0x00007ffff8c17034) + 0 bytes [UnknownFile:0]
ntdll.dll!UnknownFunction (0x00007ffff9a1d241) + 0 bytes [UnknownFile:0]
ntdll.dll!UnknownFunction (0x00007ffff9a1d241) + 0 bytes [UnknownFile:0]

I've been having the same issue for the past 24 hours.  I have updated all my drivers and everything else. Reinstalled things, verified files, deleted and re-added mods, all that. Nothing has worked for me so far.  This is so frustrating.  The game was running fine 2 days ago but when I logged into steam last night there were 2 ARK updates and haven't been able to play since.

I had this issue a long while ago (separate LAN pc running the server, not LOCALHOST - but similar). It turned out to be changes in Ark networking code that caused my LAN server to appear as a "loopback". So my server flooded the Ark server browser and it promptly crashed. This impacted Unofficial and Lan browsing, but I could still see Official servers through the browser. And the steam server browser was always OK.

It may be worth looking at IP address changes which may have messed up port forwarding rules on your firewall / router....

Can you see the server through Steam server browser? Did you used to see the server under "Unofficial" or under "Lan". If you start the client (normal game), set the browser to "Official" and then start the server, what happens?

Update: I tried deleting my mods on both client and server, but it keeps crashing. But here is something weird I noticed. I can see my server and connect without issues when looking at LAN. But if I look at Unofficial or Servers with my Survivor (Which is also only my lan server) while my server is running, it crashes the game.

At least I found a way to connect again.

7 hours ago, DirkInSA said:

I had this issue a long while ago (separate LAN pc running the server, not LOCALHOST - but similar). It turned out to be changes in Ark networking code that caused my LAN server to appear as a "loopback". So my server flooded the Ark server browser and it promptly crashed. This impacted Unofficial and Lan browsing, but I could still see Official servers through the browser. And the steam server browser was always OK.

It may be worth looking at IP address changes which may have messed up port forwarding rules on your firewall / router....

Can you see the server through Steam server browser? Did you used to see the server under "Unofficial" or under "Lan". If you start the client (normal game), set the browser to "Official" and then start the server, what happens?

I only see my LAN server in the LAN browser, and there I can connect and it doesn't seem to crash it seems, but if I look at servers with my survivor (Which is only my server) or on Unofficial with my server running, it crashes my game for some weird reason.

2 hours ago, DranDivine said:

I only see my LAN server in the LAN browser, and there I can connect and it doesn't seem to crash it seems, but if I look at servers with my survivor (Which is only my server) or on Unofficial with my server running, it crashes my game for some weird reason.

Yeah - its networking stuff - for me I couldn't see my server under LAN at all - Lan is empty, so I could only connect over Unofficial. Ain't run this lot for a couple of weeks - updating client & server as I type. Will comment later if I see any difference w the latest updates.

Nope - I am unchanged - no LAN entries but Official/Unofficial/and etc. still work OK. This is network NAT / port forward settings. And is complicated by running the server on your own machine (even ark can't ignore LOCALHOST as a valid LAN server :) ) The steam networking protocol wants to talk in and out to your server, and when the in bit of traffic is redirected to 127.0.0.1 (or whatever on the LAN) it crawls up its own bum. If you fix portforwarding & NAT entries on your firewall / router then you will find your game in unofficial, but not in lan (my experience anyway). It's daft - I have to go all the way to an ark cluster server somewhere and back just to talk to a machine that I can reach over and touch!

2 hours ago, DirkInSA said:

Yeah - its networking stuff - for me I couldn't see my server under LAN at all - Lan is empty, so I could only connect over Unofficial. Ain't run this lot for a couple of weeks - updating client & server as I type. Will comment later if I see any difference w the latest updates.

Nope - I am unchanged - no LAN entries but Official/Unofficial/and etc. still work OK. This is network NAT / port forward settings. And is complicated by running the server on your own machine (even ark can't ignore LOCALHOST as a valid LAN server :) ) The steam networking protocol wants to talk in and out to your server, and when the in bit of traffic is redirected to 127.0.0.1 (or whatever on the LAN) it crawls up its own bum. If you fix portforwarding & NAT entries on your firewall / router then you will find your game in unofficial, but not in lan (my experience anyway). It's daft - I have to go all the way to an ark cluster server somewhere and back just to talk to a machine that I can reach over and touch!

Okay. I think we have 2 different issues. I can see my server in Unofficial, Lan, and "My survivors", but Unofficial and "My survivors" crashes when I see my server on the list.

The interesting part is if I am able to hop between servers on my cluster or if it will crash once I see them on the list in game.

12 hours ago, DranDivine said:

Okay. I think we have 2 different issues. I can see my server in Unofficial, Lan, and "My survivors", but Unofficial and "My survivors" crashes when I see my server on the list.

The interesting part is if I am able to hop between servers on my cluster or if it will crash once I see them on the list in game.

Yeah - that's the question! From my experience you will be able to transfer, and I do believe this is the same issue as I had. (Even the crash dump shows pretty much  the same detail)

I originally logged a ticket for this and paste below some detail from that ticket - including the actual answer (which didn't come from wild card :( )

At the time I recall seeing some stuff on the web around installing a special kind of loop back or hairpin network driver on windows to resolve this for the case where client & server are on the same box - but that didn't apply to me so I didn't take much notice or follow it through.

I run (one or more) Ark server(s) on my LAN network. These are all functioning 100% however when I try to browse Ark servers from  the "Join Game" in Ark, ShooterGame crashes. Browsing crashes for Official, Official Legacy, and Unofficial browsing. Favorites, Lan, and My Survivors do not cause a crash.

As soon as the server is closed down then browsing works as expected again. 

The server list screen does start to populate, but it is gone too quickly to see detail of what is listed, however I think local or LAN servers are reflecting twice in the list.

Firewall to the internet is a standard linux machine with UDP ports 7777-7782 and 27015-2720 open and forwarded to the correct Ark server IP. From the internet the servers appear correctly and can be connected to. From the LAN servers can be connected to through Lan browse, and Cluster transfers are OK. I have not tried Cluster transfers from the Internet.

Server start options include ?bRawSockets and the relevant Port / Query Port settings for different maps.

Fatal error!

VERSION: 283.112 
ShooterGame.exe!UCanvasPanel::`vftable'() (0x0000000142e9d8b8) + 0 bytes [UnknownFile:0]
steamclient64.dll!UnknownFunction (0x000007fede8b905f) + 0 bytes [UnknownFile:0]
steamclient64.dll!UnknownFunction (0x000007fede8c07ba) + 0 bytes [UnknownFile:0]
steamclient64.dll!UnknownFunction (0x000007fedeef61f7) + 0 bytes [UnknownFile:0]
steamclient64.dll!UnknownFunction (0x000007fede8bde2d) + 0 bytes [UnknownFile:0]
steamclient64.dll!UnknownFunction (0x000007fede8ba8fe) + 0 bytes [UnknownFile:0]
steamclient64.dll!UnknownFunction (0x000007fedecff90a) + 0 bytes [UnknownFile:0]
steam_api64.dll!UnknownFunction (0x00000000744456c4) + 0 bytes [UnknownFile:0]
ShooterGame.exe!FOnlineAsyncTaskManagerSteam::OnlineTick() (0x00000001423131b9) + 0 bytes [d:\build\pc\engine\source\runtime\online\onlinesubsystemsteam\private\onlineasynctaskmanagersteam.cpp:130]
ShooterGame.exe!FOnlineAsyncTaskManager::Run() (0x000000014115fb39) + 0 bytes [d:\build\pc\engine\source\runtime\online\onlinesubsystem\private\onlineasynctaskmanager.cpp:65]
ShooterGame.exe!FRunnableThreadWin::Run() (0x0000000140c2d166) + 0 bytes [d:\build\pc\engine\source\runtime\core\private\windows\windowsrunnablethread.cpp:73]
ShooterGame.exe!FRunnableThreadWin::GuardedRun() (0x0000000140c2d028) + 8 bytes [d:\build\pc\engine\source\runtime\core\private\windows\windowsrunnablethread.cpp:26]
kernel32.dll!UnknownFunction (0x00000000773259cd) + 0 bytes [UnknownFile:0]
ntdll.dll!UnknownFunction (0x000000007748385d) + 0 bytes [UnknownFile:0]
ntdll.dll!UnknownFunction (0x000000007748385d) + 0 bytes [UnknownFile:0]

You may close this ticket.

The issue was with my firewall - it was nating ALL 27015, 7777, 7778 traffic to the Ark server - not just internet or wan traffic. The result being that Ark server browser was seeing my server as the host for ALL internet based Ark servers from inside the lan. Steam server browser dealt with this (sortof), but Ark crashed, so maybe something you can keep for a time when you are bored :)

Archived