The new show "Debris" has similarities to the origin-story of ARK

TheDonn

Material falls to Earth and is of Alien origin?  Check.

Weird material with ultra-fantastic properties?  Check.

Poised to irrevocably alter human existence?  Check.

Is even presented in a hexagonal structure?  Check.

Hell, the music and scenes of the show even make the show look like it's a drama-thriller, as in, there is more than meets the eye (in a bad/negative way) to this substance.

Understand, I've played ARK since 2015 and have 1.3K posts on the site, so I'm not a scammer trying to hock some stupid show or product.  I was watching a YouTube video and the 6-second advertisement for this show made my jaw hit the floor because it screamed ARK.  There doesn't appear to be dinosaurs in the show, and I understand that dinosaurs are a huge part of the ARK game.  But in the beginning of the ARK story timeline, there were only extinct dinosaurs too.  It just freaked me out, how much it reminded me of ARK's origin as told through the Explorer Notes.

On 2/24/2021 at 9:24 AM, TheDonn said:

Material falls to Earth and is of Alien origin?  Check.

Weird material with ultra-fantastic properties?  Check.

Poised to irrevocably alter human existence?  Check.

Is even presented in a hexagonal structure?  Check.

All of those things (except maybe the explicitly hexagonal structure) are standard plot devices in science fiction. It's true that Debris and ARK are both sci-fi, but other than that there's nothing especially similar about them.

Even the hexagon thing, while not being common enough to be considered a trope is still something happens often enough to be almost-a-trope, it's a pretty easy way for an author to signal that something not-human is lurking behind the story.

Hell, the music and scenes of the show even make the show look like it's a drama-thriller, as in, there is more than meets the eye (in a bad/negative way) to this substance.

It's true that both Debris and ARK are not comedies, and like any good drama/thriller there has to be something more than meets the eye. Otherwise there wouldn't be a story to tell in the first place, that's pretty much how dramatic storytelling works.

Understand, I've played ARK since 2015 and have 1.3K posts on the site, so I'm not a scammer trying to hock some stupid show or product.  I was watching a YouTube video and the 6-second advertisement for this show made my jaw hit the floor because it screamed ARK.  There doesn't appear to be dinosaurs in the show, and I understand that dinosaurs are a huge part of the ARK game.  But in the beginning of the ARK story timeline, there were only extinct dinosaurs too.  It just freaked me out, how much it reminded me of ARK's origin as told through the Explorer Notes.

This is a subjective thing, after all, so if it made you think of ARK that's okay. Obviously I wouldn't presume to tell you that it shouldn't make you think of ARK.

But other than the superficial comparison that they're both sci-fi. I mean, so far the trailer is the only thing I've seen, but Debris reminds me a lot more of The Expanse than anything to do with ARK. It looks interesting, it could even be good and I'll definitely check it out (thanks for the tip, by the way), but ARK-like? We'll have to agree to disagree on that point.

58 minutes ago, Pipinghot said:

All of those things (except maybe the explicitly hexagonal structure) are standard plot devices in science fiction. It's true that Debris and ARK are both sci-fi, but other than that there's nothing especially similar about them.

Even the hexagon thing, while not being common enough to be considered a trope is still something happens often enough to be almost-a-trope, it's a pretty easy way for an author to signal that something not-human is lurking behind the story.

It's true that both Debris and ARK are not comedies, and like any good drama/thriller there has to be something more than meets the eye. Otherwise there wouldn't be a story to tell in the first place, that's pretty much how dramatic storytelling works.

This is a subjective thing, after all, so if it made you think of ARK that's okay. Obviously I wouldn't presume to tell you that it shouldn't make you think of ARK.

But other than the superficial comparison that they're both sci-fi. I mean, so far the trailer is the only thing I've seen, but Debris reminds me a lot more of The Expanse than anything to do with ARK. It looks interesting, it could even be good and I'll definitely check it out (thanks for the tip, by the way), but ARK-like? We'll have to agree to disagree on that point.

Eh, maybe I'm wound up about nothing.  But as someone who's seen a lot of science fiction shows and committed probably too much time into analysis of them, I've never seen anything like this, this close in tone and storyline to something like ARK, outside of a show directly inspired by a game or what-have-you.  I didn't really want a meta-discussion about show-writing though, I just saw similarities.  I'm not a screenwriter, and I don't pretend to be, I'm an audience member in both cases and I see similarities.

I guess we will see what happens with the show.

Archived