The Ocean

thedrongoofark

hello all, just have a few questions about how to approach my first exploration of the ocean;

- I'm level 74, so no oxygen tank yet, how greatly will this impact me? Just saying not look for deep diving mainly just get to oil rocks and stuff

- where should I look for ichthyosaurs? I am at hidden lake and I can't find many of them in the sea near there.

- first few water tames should be? I really have no clue what is considered easy or hard in the ocean I do not like going there, don't have to much equipment to use btw

- is there anything else I should be diving for besides oil and silica pearls? seems to me the ocean's usefulness stops there.

-where should I be able to find silica pearls and what do they look like?

that's basically all my questions

37 minutes ago, Duffmek said:

if u want oil go to the cold area tbh lots of oil veins on the ground, just look out for yutys ... silica pearls can be found almost anywhere in many maps in water deep or shallow - heck even ankle deep water depending on the map - which not been rude or dumb but hidden lake what map are u on exactly please?

hidden lake of the island

4 hours ago, thedrongoofark said:

hello all, just have a few questions about how to approach my first exploration of the ocean;
- I'm level 74, so no oxygen tank yet, how greatly will this impact me? Just saying not look for deep diving mainly just get to oil rocks and stuff
- where should I look for ichthyosaurs? I am at hidden lake and I can't find many of them in the sea near there.
- first few water tames should be? I really have no clue what is considered easy or hard in the ocean I do not like going there, don't have to much equipment to use btw
- is there anything else I should be diving for besides oil and silica pearls? seems to me the ocean's usefulness stops there.

Ok, from top to bottom....It will heavily influence your tameing choices....since you will only be relying on how long you can hold your breath to dive any depth, your prolly going to be looking at itchy, manta, sharky, and such. A basil is prolly not going to be a good idea as they move way too slow
Itchy's can be found relatively easily everywhere around the island, however its strongly recommended to use kibble to speed up the process.
I would recommend a super high level itchy, a bayronox, and perhaps a sarco. Sarco is stupid fast underwater but is easy enough to tame up on land. Barynox has a spin stun attack that is super useful. However if you talking about an actual water based tame, itchy is super easy to do with kibbles
Silica pearls can be found everywhere and looks like a shiny sparkly clam clam shell.....you can actually find them in the snow biome super easy without haveing to swim. If you look at the edge of the ice shelves, a lot of them will spawn in silica pearls

For silica pearls go to 37 17 ish, there's plenty in the shallow water, for oil check the icebergs out in the north west of the map

If you want to explore the ocean then do a note run and get up to level 81 so you can make scuba gear then tame a basilo, slow as hell but a high level can deal with everything in the ocean, taming a baryonyx first will help in clearing the mantas off of the basilo before you start taming

6 hours ago, thedrongoofark said:

Do a note run or kills alphas to get scuba tbh then do swamp cave with a megatherium to rush lv100. If it bores you or it's not an option THEN :

No oxygen tank is gonna suck. You can tame a diplocaulus or use a lazarus chowder however and still get fairly decent time underwater without drowning. I'd recommend making a couple of laz chowders overall because they don't lock you into using one specific tame.

Ichty are mostly found in the ocean around red obelisk on Island, in my experience. They are a great mobility dino but their hitbox is a joke (super hard to hit anything) and they die in half a second. Still a great beginner tame.

Tames depend. As I mentionned before diplocaulus can outrun most threats and gives oxygen but you can't shoot from its back which suuuuuuucks for water taming. Bary is good, easily deals with most of the annoying water dinos but it's on the slower side and not great for deep dives. If it were me I would go : ichty (dolphin thingy, it's fast and you can shoot from its back), anglerfish (for pearls) and a basilosaurus. A decent basilo with a decent saddle can kill pretty much anything in the ocean.

I wouldn't even dive for oil tbh it requires taming a dunky to be efficient and they're absolute ass. Just go north and hit the black tipped rocks with an anky. BUT you do have the easy and hard watercaves which are packed with lootcrates and I can't recommend them enough. A basilo can easily clear the easy cave but hard will be... well, hard. Even easy cave (lost faith) has 3 to 4 loot crates every 30m or so and you can farm them on repeat though.

Best place on Island for silica pearls is the north west side of the map. On the coastal area where the snow meets the hills, there are chunks of ice under which you will find pearls. They look like big shiny oval shells. I definitely recommend an angler though as you will get about 25-30 pearls by hand and potentially around 150 with an angler (more if you can grab a top stats angler).

3 hours ago, wizard03 said:

t itchy, manta, sharky, and such.

Tbh I have to disagree. Manta isn't a super easy tame. First of all its a passive tame which makes no sense cause its super mean in the water lol. Getting the angler gel isn't super hard but with an ichty you'll have to crossbow kill the angler. Ichty won't be able to kill an angler very easily.

8 hours ago, thedrongoofark said:

-No oxygen tank will make you have a bad day if you dive deep. If at the surface you'll be fine. Consider making lazarus chowder (reduced oxygen usage) or taming a diplocalus (breathe from their mouth. Ik, weird). If you have lots of mindwipes, pump points in oxygen, health, stam, and movement

-I also live at hidden lake and ichtys are nowhere to be seen. I always find a huge amount in the south. Always a couple around herbi island, and always some on the southern shores. Footpaws can have some stuck in the river and its easy to tame them. Be careful thought because mantas also spawn there. Sometimes on the western shores too but don't play around with the western ocean too much, I've noticed it has a higher concentration of eels and alphas. 

- This is how I approach it. 

1. Ichty to play around. Disposable tame.

2. Shark. Bit more valuable but it'll make you feel stronger. 

3. Baryonyx. Easy to tame if you have an argy and can drop one in a taming pen. Infinite oxygen. Good mount for land and water.

4. Angler fish. Great for getting silicas.

5. Basilo. Great for its shock withstanding thing. Not that hard to tame with a bary. If you want more info about it let me know.

6. Dunkly. Great as water transport and tuso tamer. Kinda hard to tame but bary and crossbow makes it easy.

7. Plesio. Easy to tame once you get scuba and can just swim around it shooting with an op crossbow.

8. Tuso. Use dunkly to tame. Hella fun to ride around.

9. Giga of the oceans: Mosa. Long taming guide. Lemme know if you want to know more about it.

10. Side note, I don't care about mantas and turtles. They're useless. Mantas have some value of being fast and can jump, but personally, I hate their taming method.

**Important: Do not go near the jellyfish or eels. They will make you have a very bad day.**

-Dive for fun. I enjoy just looking for high lvls to tame. Real speaking, you can also get oil with a dunkly along with silica and black. Angler gel is useful for electric prod. Alpha drops needed for bosses. 

-I have the best luck with silica at the boundary of west 3 and snow biome. Always some below there, but super dangerous area so be careful. Also lots around herbi island give or take 10 lat long from herbi. Should be at ocean floor. Look like a shiny crystally white gel thing stuck to the floor. Black pearls are just black. Have yet to found black pearls on the island (much better luck on rag).

-When I was new to the ocean I had all the same questions. The ocean was scary and overwhelming first, but it's a really fun place. Feel free to ask if you have more questions, and hope this helps!

Frogs

Nobody ever uses them but theyre my main mode of transportation in the water.

Very very easy tame. Takes next to nothing to KO and feed. Also very easy to KO because you can bola. Just make sure you have a decent amount of narcs to keep them down if using simple raw meat.

Infinite oxygen AND stamina in the water means they can literally travel nonstop forever. This cannot be understated. It's amazing.

If you get a high level with a decent saddle they are very capable of handling smaller water creatures all they way up to sharks. I use them for bio and angler gel runs since you can shoot while riding them.

They are also really convenient because they bridge the gap between land and sea, which is nice because if youre going on a water mission you dont need to bring additional tames from your base just to simply get to the water.

Depending upon the starting point of the stats for a freshly tamed frog, I usually put a little in health and a little in weight and PUMP the rest into speed. With a ton of levels in speed you easily outrun the fastest water animals should you get in trouble down below.

Frogs are the most underrated water capable tame in the game imo.

11 hours ago, thedrongoofark said:

I play with a pure aquatic tribe on pvp official. I can tell you if all you want to do is explore there is only one tame you need. And it is NOT the useless dolphin. Hop on you flyer and pick a diplocaulus salamander thing. Drop him in a taming trap narc n tame. He is super fast in the water AND he is a scuba tank for you. Level in oxygen and speed. Nothing will be able to catch you. 

If you want to tame that’s a whole different conversation. 

Second on the Froggy for an early sea tame. They are gloriously fun to move around the map on. So easy on the stamina out of the water, and crazy fast with zero stam in the water.

Also want to second the sarco. You can zip around the Island in no time, get some oil from frostlands, then zip back. And you can stand in him in the water.

Tip: Before taking the frog out, be sure to make it follow you. That way, if you dismount in the water, it will not float to the top.

1) You are going to die in the ocean, no if's, and's or but's, it's going to happen. Even after you get  some good tames and get used to exploring the waters they will always be more dangerous than the land. Things can sneak up on you from every direction so deaths are inevitable and it's very often hard to get your stuff back.

2) Plan accordingly. Don't carry any stuff with you other than what you absolutely need for your current activity.

If you want to harvest pearls only take equipment that you can afford to lose if you can't get it back, only wear armor that you can afford to lose if you can't get it back.

If you want to harvest oil rocks, only carry the bare minimum of tools for harvesting.

3) Icthyosaurs are super squishy and expendable, they'll die if a manta or megalodon so much as gives them a stern look. Never try to fight anything with an ichthy, they are for scouting and escaping rapidly, fighting is no bueno.

If you ever tame a high level ichthy then save it until you get another one and start breeding them. Personally, I don't bother with them unless you have a good floating taming pen to catch them easily, otherwise they're just too much of a pain in the neck to tame, because they like to swim away, which has caused the death of many a survivor trying to tame them. You get distracted trying to chase and ichty and *bam* shark attack from behind.

4) Manta's are not worth the trouble. They are a pain in the neck to tame and their main value is speed. They are very cool on paper, not so much in practice.

5) St1ckyBandit gave some great advice on frogs. Frogs are underestimated and undervalued by the majority of the player base. They are strong, fast, tough and easier to tame than icthy's. Just make a taming pen and drop a frog into it with an argy, then you have an instant ocean explorer that can also survive long enough to escape if you get ambushed.

6) Taming megalodons it's pretty easy, since they're carnivores and easily angered you can lure them into a shallow water taming pen (or into a raft-based taming pen in water that's slightly deeper but not deep enough for an alpha leedsichthys to destroy it) and tame them. Like most carnivores they are "overconfident" and won't try to run until they're trapped and you're close to knocking them out.

In terms of your ability to travel, explore, harvest and also be able to put up a good fight, a pack of 6-8 megalodons is a great team for your ability to explore the oceans. And, since they're both ubiquitous and easy to tame it won't bother you if you lose a few of them now and then, they're easy to replace.

On a side note, while you're spending some time building a taming pen, and probably a safe harbor to store your tamed megalodons, you'll very likely level up enough to be able to make that SCUBA gear. But if you're not quite there yet a pack of sharks is still good to have.

Based on the previous points, my opinion is that you start with frogs & sharks. Frogs for your early trips into the water when you're just starting to figure things out, scouting & learning, then sharks for when you're ready to explore deeper and need to be able to fight things to get back home.

The bay between Hidden Lake and Carno Island is a great place to find sharks on a regular basis. Just set up a couple of shallow water taming pens or a taming raft that will hold sharks, and you'll have a stable of sharks in no time.

In the near future you'll be going for the deep sea loot crates, which drop better stuff than the surface loot crates. By that time you'll probably progress to plesiosaurs and/or mosasaurs.

If you want to collect artifacts and eventually do boss fights then you're also going to need to do the water caves, which are pretty hard and need good water tames.

Also, regarding oil, dunky's are good for harvesting oil rock. Whether this matters to you will depend on whether you already have a good collection of dung beetles, and whether you are using any mods that make the dung beetles a good source of oil. A dunky can gather a lot of oil in a short time but that may or may not matter to you depending on how you're playing the game.

All over the place, if you're not familiar with it yet this would be a good time to make friends with the Resource Map on the wiki. Just make sure that you un-check the box for "Turn cave on or off" when you use it, otherwise you'll go looking for resources that seem to not be there.

https://ark.gamepedia.com/Resource_Map_(The_Island)

12 hours ago, thedrongoofark said:

1 level up 2, pump levels into o2 and stam 3, chowder 4 Diplo. On the island this should be ez. And arctic has oil, so do Tek dinos and trilobites. 

ickys are everywhere. I would recommend looking round footpaw, fairly safe and good number of em.

if you find a basi, tame it, in my opinion, best water dino, strong, mildly fast, immune to squid grab and jellyies and eels. If not that, then, pipeline icky, Meg, dunky, mosa/Tusto. Dunky gets oil. Tusto grabs, is strong, Meg is swarmer, icky is fast, manta is fast, mosa is strong. 

Yes, black pearls, artifacts, deep sea loot crates.

loot crates are, well, duh, black pearls make late game stuff, and artifacts to ascend. Black pearls are from Tustos and the weird euriripid. And trilobite. 

silica pearls are on the sea floor(kinda everywhere but trenches are better/more dangerous), and the look like weird oblong shapes, they look a little like clams. Pick em up with E.

2 hours ago, Ganelon said:

Second on the Froggy for an early sea tame. They are gloriously fun to move around the map on. So easy on the stamina out of the water, and crazy fast with zero stam in the water.

Also want to second the sarco. You can zip around the Island in no time, get some oil from frostlands, then zip back. And you can stand in him in the water.

Tip: Before taking the frog out, be sure to make it follow you. That way, if you dismount in the water, it will not float to the top.

Actually the frog wont float to the top like a bloodstalker would. When you dismount in water the frog will just stay there if not on follow.

I ALWAYS make sure my frog is set NOT to follow before I go in the water because if they are on follow they do little circles around you and can be difficult to mount again.

This can be life saver if you get attacked underwater while off the frog and need to make a hasty escape. 

I also keep them on passive for the same reason. This way when you dismount you know your frog is going to be in the exact same spot you left it no matter what.

10 hours ago, AirplaneSlider said:

Tbh I have to disagree. Manta isn't a super easy tame. First of all its a passive tame which makes no sense cause its super mean in the water lol. Getting the angler gel isn't super hard but with an ichty you'll have to crossbow kill the angler. Ichty won't be able to kill an angler very easily.

I just used fishing to get the jel.....bit o honey, primative fishing rod, half hour or so......but I do suppose they are a bit on the cranky side.

9 hours ago, St1ckyBandit said:

Frogs

Nobody ever uses them but theyre my main mode of transportation in the water.

Very very easy tame. Takes next to nothing to KO and feed. Also very easy to KO because you can bola. Just make sure you have a decent amount of narcs to keep them down if using simple raw meat.

Infinite oxygen AND stamina in the water means they can literally travel nonstop forever. This cannot be understated. It's amazing.

If you get a high level with a decent saddle they are very capable of handling smaller water creatures all they way up to sharks. I use them for bio and angler gel runs since you can shoot while riding them.

They are also really convenient because they bridge the gap between land and sea, which is nice because if youre going on a water mission you dont need to bring additional tames from your base just to simply get to the water.

Depending upon the starting point of the stats for a freshly tamed frog, I usually put a little in health and a little in weight and PUMP the rest into speed. With a ton of levels in speed you easily outrun the fastest water animals should you get in trouble down below.

Frogs are the most underrated water capable tame in the game imo.

Compleatly forgot frogs....my bad, but you make a good point

On 2/23/2021 at 11:43 AM, johnm81 said:

I play with a pure aquatic tribe on pvp official. I can tell you if all you want to do is explore there is only one tame you need. And it is NOT the useless dolphin. Hop on you flyer and pick a diplocaulus salamander thing. Drop him in a taming trap narc n tame. He is super fast in the water AND he is a scuba tank for you. Level in oxygen and speed. Nothing will be able to catch you. 

If you want to tame that’s a whole different conversation. 

Thanks for this post. I tried out the Diplo after your recommendation and man those things are awesome underwater. Even a base one is faster than my speed leveled frog.

The 150 I tamed only had 192 weight, which kinda sucks, but with a little leveling it should be at least good enough to carry me with a full kit.

Wasnt expecting these things to be as good as they were. I can see the Diplo being my new main water tame. Even has a really short maturation time.

Thanks again !

7 hours ago, St1ckyBandit said:

Thanks for this post. I tried out the Diplo after your recommendation and man those things are awesome underwater. Even a base one is faster than my speed leveled frog.

The 150 I tamed only had 192 weight, which kinda sucks, but with a little leveling it should be at least good enough to carry me with a full kit.

Wasnt expecting these things to be as good as they were. I can see the Diplo being my new main water tame. Even has a really short maturation time.

Thanks again !

Happy to help :)

Archived