Best order to do maps in a lore-friendly way?

dddandwatch

On my current playthrough I'm on The Island, but I plan to do every map including the non-canon ones. The way I see it they are sort of semi-canon as in they aren't part of the story but still fit into the story as ARKs the characters don't visit.

So I'm trying to find out what order I should put them in. I want to finish them all before Extinction for lore reasons.

Which order would be better?

The Island - The Center - Scorched Earth - Ragnarok - Aberration - Valguero - Crystal Isles - Extinction - Genesis Part 1 - Genesis Part 2

Or

The Island - Scorched Earth - Aberration - The Center - Ragnarok - Valguero - Crystal Isles - Extinction - Genesis Part 1 - Genesis Part 2

I'm leaning towards the first one but I'd like to know what other people think.

1 minute ago, dddandwatch said:

On my current playthrough I'm on The Island, but I plan to do every map including the non-canon ones. The way I see it they are sort of semi-canon as in they aren't part of the story but still fit into the story as ARKs the characters don't visit.

So I'm trying to find out what order I should put them in. I want to finish them all before Extinction for lore reasons.

The Island - The Center - Scorched Earth - Ragnarok - Aberration - Valguero - Crystal Isles - Extinction - Genesis Part 1 - Genesis Part 2

Or

The Island - Scorched Earth - Aberration - The Center - Ragnarok - Valguero - Crystal Isles - Extinction - Genesis Part 1 - Genesis Part 2

I am pretty much clueless when it comes to lore but I thought that Genesis 1 and 2 were a prologue that came before aberration and scorched etc? Hence why they show up that way in the 'story arks' list.

On 2/19/2021 at 7:44 PM, dddandwatch said:

Or

The order they were added to the game is:

Island > Center > SE > Raganarok > Aberration > Extinction > Valguero > Genesys 1 > Crystal Isles > (Genesys 2)

Having said that, if you want to play some of them in a different order that's up to you, as long as it's fun for you to do so. There's no such thing as the "right" order to play the maps, it's whatever makes the game more enjoyable for you.

I'm doing a playthrough like you're talking about with a group of friends and it's pretty enjoyable to experience the game in the order it was published. My group doesn't allow ourselves to use any engrams that were added to the game in later expansions, which is to say we didn't allow ourselves to use SE engrams until we reached the SE map, didn't allow ourselves to use Aberration engrams until we had advanced to Aberration, and so on.

We have added a few engrams ahead of time as long as they don't have any affect on game play (like the taxidermy tool and pedestals) but we didn't, for example, allow ourselves to use the mining drill until we progressed to Extinction.

Archived