Alpha rockwell help

Wesmanee

In my experience some good stegos loaded with cakes + shotguns for the tentacles, megalosauruses left on rockwell so they start biting him as soon as possible.

You can shoot from the stego's back and even though they're kinda slow they also block the projectiles that would otherwise shred your armor or straight up kill you and you can shotgun while riding them. Don't forget light pets obviously as reapers will be on your ass 24/7.

Megalosaurus is just the best dps dino on abb so there's that. But I've also done it a few times with legit just stegos and shotguns and just shooting rockwell but we were 10 with capped shotties so I wouldn't try it with only 2 people.

Btw will electricity dismount you from a stego? I did rockwell with 1 another person and we used drakes for tentacles.

I know stegos supposed to have an immunity to dismounts. However on Genesis brute raptor, bloodstalker and ferox bosses had no problem to dismount me from a stego. Which is retarded since I bred them exactly for doing these missons.

Ready? ..really tough fight..bring capped (or close) shotguns, 600+ shotgun ammo if there is only 2 of you, and 5 cactus broth. Food water and health brews to be safe.

Okay, when it starts and you are in, drink broth and run down ramp to rockwell. Shoot all the tentacles you can see and then run up the ramp to the edge and kill the far back tentacles from distance where you can see them. Don't run to them. When he is exposed, light up the heart. Rinse repeat. If by chance you aggro an add just quickly shoot it down. It's that simple. Be aware that 600 ammo may not be enough. We've run it with minimum 6 and I tend to bring 300 rounds for that ammo than necessary.

Good luck.

• Volunteer Moderator
7 hours ago, M6Tully said:

Ready? ..really tough fight..bring capped (or close) shotguns, 600+ shotgun ammo if there is only 2 of you, and 5 cactus broth. Food water and health brews to be safe.

Okay, when it starts and you are in, drink broth and run down ramp to rockwell. Shoot all the tentacles you can see and then run up the ramp to the edge and kill the far back tentacles from distance where you can see them. Don't run to them. When he is exposed, light up the heart. Rinse repeat. If by chance you aggro an add just quickly shoot it down. It's that simple. Be aware that 600 ammo may not be enough. We've run it with minimum 6 and I tend to bring 300 rounds for that ammo than necessary.

Good luck.

Just to add to this. Every other round, starting from the 2nd round (i.e. after you attack Rockwell's heart) Rockwell will through pink balls at you. Before you doing anything on those rounds, you need to shoot those. There will be roughly 5-7 of them only as long as you still have cactus broth going. Then after that shoot the tentacles.

Also, each time you start a new round you want to make sure you are on the platform in front of Rockwell to avoid the electrified tentacles.

The only real issue you may experience on this, besides running out of time, is if a reaper wanders on to the front platform.

Thanks for all the strats. We're gonna run gamma first to learn the fight mechanics then have a go at alpha. We're gonna try no dinos first. We should be able to beat it since we have the upgrade station I can craft some ascendant flak and equipment. If all fails I have some boss carnos I bred from my island run hatching with 65 points in melee and health which should do the trick.

19 hours ago, GP said:

Just to add to this. Every other round, starting from the 2nd round (i.e. after you attack Rockwell's heart) Rockwell will through pink balls at you. Before you doing anything on those rounds, you need to shoot those. There will be roughly 5-7 of them only as long as you still have cactus broth going. Then after that shoot the tentacles.

Also, each time you start a new round you want to make sure you are on the platform in front of Rockwell to avoid the electrified tentacles.

The only real issue you may experience on this, besides running out of time, is if a reaper wanders on to the front platform.

Thank you for adding that. Sometimes you do it so much it's in the brain, but you forget the mechanic is there as you just deal with it lol

Our tribe does it with bred tek stegos in armored mode. take practically 0 damage the entire fight. Reapers are easiest to just kill with the shotguns. best for alpha is at least 6 players. makes it very easy. meg or ferox on boss. 

Also, we use capped haz and cap shotguns about 300 ammo each. good light pets are a must.

tek stegos have 35.5k health, 496melle, and 1800 stam bred.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been soloing gamma & beta on various servers including official PvE, one thing I've noticed is the mechanics change a hell of a lot when you only have a light pet and no other dinos, Rockwell will only spawn a few balls every other stage instead of constantly and the tentacles don't do the slap attack making things a lot easier, with this in mind I've been testing alpha using a melee build and a 290-298% sword and finally managed to beat it, stats wise it helps (might be necessary?) to have ascended a couple of times, or at least once plus have some extra chibi levels

I used a level 115 character with 140 weight & 650% melee, sword in the video was 295%, assault rifle quality doesn't really matter as it's just for dealing with the balls, 150-175 energy brews which you need to spam 2 or 3 between each tentacle, a few cactus broths, 2 or 3 focal chillis and maybe some enduro stews

I'm not sure if the quality of armour makes much difference, there's not many balls so are easy to deal with and in an earlier attempt with better flak I got trashed by a reaper so think you can run it in just about anything as if you pull aggro off a reaper you're done for anyway, the glider suit is needed though I think, the tentacle hit boxes are a bit weird so sometimes you have to glitch into them to do damage and there's a chance you get stuck in it's mesh and get pulled down when it dies (leaves you floating and unable to move above the element pool) which nearly happens on the 2nd tentacle in the vid, so I just double jump as each one dies to activate the glider and avoid getting pulled down, looks a bit odd at times but a lot of the failures I've had have been down to that happening

Will it work on official? I've no idea, everytime I've beat it there's been over 2 minutes left which might help negate lost time due to lag, hardest thing I can see is telling when you're actually doing damage to the tentacles without the floating numbers as you still get the blood splatter when doing no damage

Server is vanilla, no mods (did use awesome spyglass once to check stats, 115k hp on Rockwell and 15,200 on the tentacles) I've not messed with any stats or settings, xp was ramped up so I could get the levels quickly, all gear was spawned in but I kept weapons and armour under official cap

I can beat it fairly consistently now, occasionally a reaper will get too close and that's usually it as you don't have the speed to get away, would be interesting to see if it works on official as well, I have doubts cos of the hit boxes and no damage text but the mechanic with tentacle aggro and fewer balls should be the same as it's like that when I've soloed official gamma & beta

• Volunteer Moderator
4 hours ago, RageQuitter said:

I can beat it fairly consistently now, occasionally a reaper will get too close and that's usually it as you don't have the speed to get away, would be interesting to see if it works on official as well, I have doubts cos of the hit boxes and no damage text but the mechanic with tentacle aggro and fewer balls should be the same as it's like that when I've soloed official gamma & beta

This is just the same method as no tames at all.

The only difference here is you have a light pet and sword. Doing it with no light pet and shotgun results in the same. Pink balls only spawn a few at the start of rounds. It's the no tames and cactus broth that causes that.

6 hours ago, GP said:

This is just the same method as no tames at all.

The only difference here is you have a light pet and sword. Doing it with no light pet and shotgun results in the same. Pink balls only spawn a few at the start of rounds. It's the no tames and cactus broth that causes that.

Yeah that's more or less what I said, I was never 100% sure it was a thing like as my only experience is solo with no dinos yet videos I've seen where they take dinos in the fight is completely different, I could've just posted the vid without mentioning it but then would've got the usual "whaaaaaaaa unofficial, nothing like that when I do it" type comments

This is apha though which is impossible to solo with the shotgun method unless it's a server with boosted loot (doesn't really count in my book reckon you'd need 400-450% minimum to do it that way?) I tried it on my server just to make sure with 290-298% and ran out of time every attempt, just trying to show it is possible with a good sword and enough melee, reckon any combination that can do over 1,689 a hit should work

I know I'm a bit late, but since nobody mentioned it yet: You can use direbears as well (official servers).

We did a couple of runs with them and they never let us down. Saddles are cheaper than drake saddles. They are easy to breed and imprint and they are tanky as hell (nameless, reapers). They eat the reapers for breakfast. Plus they have great visibility for shooting with the shotgun. We usually go in with a direbear + lightpet for each rider. 5+ people for alpha. No megalos or anything else needed. Arena time is the bottleneck in those fights as shottys can only fire so often per minute...

Archived