Stop playing ark right now if you are new.

theedeathnote

If you are new to the game the biggest help I can give you is stop playing, turn game off, and remove it from your system. This game is the worst when it comes to the Dev team. You will get blue screened every hour, lose everything you have every day to trolls or bugs and then sit and wait for answers to your reports just to get a copy and paste answer fixing nothing.

God forbid you progress in the game and get big. Then cheaters will just spam you with dupe tames and gear, d doss your server, and troll forcing you and your alliance to be on the game 24 hours a day.

Get past that and ark will update the game to "fix" bugs and break the game and server will go down for days killing all the babies you have out losing you weeks of work. Send a report and just get a copy and paste answer saying "sucks to be you we will do nothing about it" only nicer.

STOP NOW AND RUN DO NOT WALK AWAY FROM THIS GAME. You will be better 4 it.

23 hours ago, theedeathnote said:

If you are new to the game the biggest help I can give you is stop playing, turn game off, and remove it from your system. This game is the worst when it comes to the Dev team. You will get blue screened every hour, lose everything you have every day to trolls or bugs and then sit and wait for answers to your reports just to get a copy and paste answer fixing nothing.

God forbid you progress in the game and get big. Then cheaters will just spam you with dupe tames and gear, d doss your server, and troll forcing you and your alliance to be on the game 24 hours a day.

Get past that and ark will update the game to "fix" bugs and break the game and server will go down for days killing all the babies you have out losing you weeks of work. Send a report and just get a copy and paste answer saying "sucks to be you we will do nothing about it" only nicer.

STOP NOW AND RUN DO NOT WALK AWAY FROM THIS GAME. You will be better 4 it.

Nice to see someone investing their time in the forums of a game they hate.

On 2/14/2021 at 2:58 PM, Larkfields said:

If you don't like official servers, setup your own !

22 hours ago, ZyraSeedling said:

Unofficial is where it is at. Run your own or find a nice one. 

This is easier said than done.

People that go official when starting, at the time have no idea what they are getting into. After a while, months, or even years, you are basically trapped. Invested too much, built too much, bred too much. People do get attached to things. It's not that easy to let go.

On top of that, you have the community. You often create friends, some servers have a vibrant community, even across servers.

it's really not that simple to just let it all go and go unofficial, especially when you have invested years.

Dude if you don't like the game, don't play...? Playing Single Player I don't encounter that many bugs - I'm used to Bethesda games mind you, so... YMMV. 

If it's not fun, don't play. If it's fun, play. Literally my ID of a "good game" is "do I enjoy it?". Clearly you don't so like...find something you do! 

The dev team seems to genuinely try, but I work in IT and do UAT and I can attest that the simplest things can go sideways for the dumbest reasons no matter how well stuff was tested before hand. 

It's doesn't sound like his experience has been like that though. An unoffical server would fix alot of the problems he stated and would give a fresh start. As for the blue screen, my first pc was a prebuilt and had the same issue. I built my own and haven't had a crash in the two years since on high settings. 

I played official to start. Established myself with an epic base at a solid location. Established working bases on a couple of other maps. Then, I got bored and went into maintenance mode. After a few months of that (only checking in to refresh and feed), I just let it all go. 

Then, I played single player and unofficial servers.. modded up... and enjoyed that for awhile. After 2 years, I got tired of the super-charged mod experience... and jumped back into official, mostly because it was free and a reset to the game experience.  I got to discover all the synergies of the base game that those mods essentially replace. Things like kibble to mitigate taming times. Things like targeted tames for effective resource gathering. And on that playing field, social networking to establish trading. All these elements that unofficials with jumped rates and mods effectively remove from the game. The synergies of official are compelling to make the accomplishments of tames and bases more meaningful that the easy helpers. Thus, one is less likely to leave.

So, I get it. The most significant weakness of official, to me... is the breeding mechanic. The only mitigation to this is increased rates, which causes the most instability. Since mutations are critical to the high end game, it is a piece of the pie that doesn't fit with those other synergies.

The devs have done great things to mitigate the other gameplay elements that really smite the server: Kibble rework and cryopods. But, without something to remove the breeding mechanic stress from the server, it will remain a harsh burden to bear to enjoy the vanilla experience.

We(My father in law, my wife, and I) played official for about 6 months back when it first released into early access.  After all that time spent(we spent better than 12 hours taming a  high level sarco - it was literally an all day affair) they released the scuba gear, which I was totally stocked for, however, I was like 3 levels away from being able to make it and it would take soooo long to get there.

So I found a private server with a couple of mods and it totally changed how I looked at the game.  a couple more months later, I started hosting a server myself with a few mods. 

Now I host an 8 server cluster with 29 mods.  My tribe(~8 people) are completing the current story playthrough in preparation for Gen part 2 launch next month - well, we know it wont be next month, dont we ;) over 4k hours in, I'd say I got my money's worth. 

However, you really should learn how to play the game before going unofficial.  spend some time on official servers, pay your dues, then move on to the meta.

My mom always used to tell me if was complaining about having to redo some chore that it ought to be easier the second time around, cause I've had practice. If you play the game once on official then playing again on some other server will be easier. Besides, playing ark isn't a chore, it's a pleasure. In playing ark, I've switched from legacy official pvp (multiple great migrations), to official, to unofficial, to single player, and finally to official pve, not to mention getting wiped on pvp more times than I can count. How? Just keep a positive mind set is all. Just choose to be happy about it.

Archived