Is there a way to see egg drop timers for each dino?

TroyParry

I've been standing in my base waiting for my tames to lay eggs for over an hour. The argy has laid so many, however the Yuty, Anky and scorpion laid zero. All female of course, and boosted within range of an Oviraptor. Can I see how long it takes for each dino type to lay an egg? I don't see the info on Gamepedia. Also, am I able to modify this drop time?

I very rarely see eggs dropped in the wild too, it's very different from playing on mobile (iOS).

1 minute ago, Cowgirl said:

Unless there is a mod out there (I dont know of one) there is no way to tell, if you get males of the same species (if you dont have them, you said females so I am assuming you dont) it gives them mate boost and that makes them lay more eggs.

I only have male Argy. I don't need to see the drop timer in game, I would just like to know how long each dino takes on average. Also, is it true that if I leave the area to visit another part of the map, the timer stops? That's why i'm wondering, if it's going to take like 6 hours for a Yuty to lay an egg, I don't want to idle that long!

1 hour ago, TroyParry said:

I only have male Argy. I don't need to see the drop timer in game, I would just like to know how long each dino takes on average. Also, is it true that if I leave the area to visit another part of the map, the timer stops? That's why i'm wondering, if it's going to take like 6 hours for a Yuty to lay an egg, I don't want to idle that long!

As far as I know the exact times have never been published anywhere, including the wiki. However, in general here's how it works.

* Every time a female animal would normally poop there's a chance that they will lay an egg instead.

* They can have their egg laying boosted by a) a male of the same species, b) an oviraptor with in range. As far as I know, those two boosts are cumulative, having both of them is best.

* dinos only poop & lay eggs if they are rezzed in, when they are not rezzed in those activities get suspended. It doesn't necessarily have to be you, if your base is in an area where other players frequently pass by then they will also cause your animals to rez in, giving more opportunities for poop & eggs. Of course if you're playing a solo game using the local/host option this doesn't help you, but it can make a big difference for egg laying on public servers.

If you only have 1 yuty then yeah, it's really not worth standing around waiting for it to lay eggs, sitting around waiting for animals to lay eggs is a pretty big waste of your time.

The way that people most commonly handle eggs on PC is to have 3-4 females + 1 male of the species they want eggs from. As you already know from mobile the level doesn't matter, you'll get just as many eggs from a bunch of Lvl 20's as from higher levels, which means you don't care about taming efficiency for your egg layers, which makes it easier to build an egg farm. You arrange them in your base so that it's easy to see the eggs if they drop and easy to go pick them up. Then every once in while while you're doing other stuff or whenever you return to your base you take a stroll through your egg laying area to pick up whatever eggs get laid at that time.

Also, it's true that you don't find eggs in the wild very often. It happens but it's not a big part of anyone's egg strategy on the PC version.

Hope this helps.

@PipinghotThe poop mechanic is only for dodos 

Females have a chance of laying an egg every 17 minutes, mate boosting increases the chances of an egg but I don't think has any effect on the time, oviraptor boost decreases the time to just over 11 minutes, as has been said they need to be rendered to lay an egg but I think the time mechanic still works while they're in stasis then as soon as you render them there's a chance of them dropping an egg straight away

Just remember you don't need the exact type of kibble for taming or imprinting as long as you use a higher tier kibble so you could just go with a bunch of yutis instead of setting up a farm with dinos for each egg size

4 minutes ago, RageQuitter said:

@PipinghotThe poop mechanic is only for dodos 

Females have a chance of laying an egg every 17 minutes, mate boosting increases the chances of an egg but I don't think has any effect on the time, oviraptor boost decreases the time to just over 11 minutes, as has been said they need to be rendered to lay an egg but I think the time mechanic still works while they're in stasis then as soon as you render them there's a chance of them dropping an egg straight away

Just remember you don't need the exact type of kibble for taming or imprinting as long as you use a higher tier kibble so you could just go with a bunch of yutis instead of setting up a farm with dinos for each egg size

Thanks for that answer.

Where is the info from? Is it on the wiki and I've overlooked it, or did you pull it from the dev kit, or somewhere else?

I think it's on the wiki but I've known about how egg laying works a long time, I think I also read a long time ago that penguins have the same mechanic as dodos but not 100% sure about that as I've not tamed any since before the kibble rework (think they were needed for taming anglers?)

I usually go 10-15 mate & ovi boosted rexes (low levels are easy to find in the rex triangle on SE and plenty of paracers for prime meat) and that makes me enough kibble for taming & imprinting on official rates then just farm wyvern or deino eggs for when I need extraordinary kibble

@RageQuitter - thanks for making me double-check what I thought I knew about egg laying, I was remembering it incorrectly.
@TroyParry - here is the link to the wiki page explaining how egg laying works.

p.s. It's always a good idea to check the wiki before asking on the forums, otherwise you might end up with someone giving you incorrect information like I did at first.

https://ark.gamepedia.com/Eggs#Egg_Farming

On 2/13/2021 at 11:05 AM, Pipinghot said:

@RageQuitter - thanks for making me double-check what I thought I knew about egg laying, I was remembering it incorrectly.
@TroyParry - here is the link to the wiki page explaining how egg laying works.

p.s. It's always a good idea to check the wiki before asking on the forums, otherwise you might end up with someone giving you incorrect information like I did at first.

https://ark.gamepedia.com/Eggs#Egg_Farming

Yep I had read that.

The main issue is my experience on PC version varies greatly from mobile version which I played a lot before.

Even with my egg drop settings turned down to 0.01, some of my dinos weren't laying at all, even with Ovi boosted and mating enabled. After putting a male nearby they were popping out eggs like crazy for certain dinos, eg I think I was getting 75 per hour from a single dino. But some of my paired tames like the penguin rarely dropped an egg. The unpaired dinos very very very rarely dropped an egg, even with my fastest egg dropping settings.

I have 5 Kairuku eggs (paired)

I have 75 Yuty eggs (paired)

I have 75 Archae eggs (paired)

Also, on mobile the scorpions laid eggs, but they don't on PC version, I only just realised that after trying to mate them and couldn't pick up the fertilized egg :/

17 hours ago, TroyParry said:

Even with my egg drop settings turned down to 0.01, some of my dinos weren't laying at all, even with Ovi boosted and mating enabled. After putting a male nearby they were popping out eggs like crazy for certain dinos, eg I think I was getting 75 per hour from a single dino. But some of my paired tames like the penguin rarely dropped an egg. The unpaired dinos very very very rarely dropped an egg, even with my fastest egg dropping settings.

I have 5 Kairuku eggs (paired)

I have 75 Yuty eggs (paired)

I have 75 Archae eggs (paired)

Also, on mobile the scorpions laid eggs, but they don't on PC version, I only just realised that after trying to mate them and couldn't pick up the fertilized egg :/

When you say "mating enabled" that muddies the water a bit, have we been discussing fertilized eggs (from mating) or unfertilized eggs (from the normal egg laying timer)?

The setting for getting unfertilized eggs faster is:

LayEggIntervalMultiplier=

If you set that to 0.01 then you should be getting unfertilized eggs faster ( and if it's not working then I don't know what to say, that should do it ).

The settings for getting fertilized, hatchable eggs from mating faster are:

MatingIntervalMultiplier=
     MatingSpeedMultiplier=

If you set the MatingIntervalMultiplier to 0.01 or less, and the MatingSpeedMultiplier to 50 or more then you should have tons of fertilized eggs in no time.

Having said that, you can use fertilized eggs to make kibble, so if you want to simplify things for yourself just make the changes to the two fertilized settings and you'll have all the eggs you need. The downsize of fertlized eggs is that they each take up a slot, they won't stack like unfertilized eggs will, but by only modifying the fertilized settings you can control when you want lots of eggs and when you don't by turning mating on & off for your egg layers without having to change the settings again. If you use the LayEggIntervalMultiplier to get more unfertilzed eggs then the only way to slow egg laying down would be to edit your settings again.

Archived