Linux Private Dedicated Server Backup Issues

Capadillo

I have a script that runs at 4am every day that zips a copy of the SavedArks folder into a backups folder, the problem I'm having is that when I attempt to restore a backup, the game isn't recognising TheIsland.ark and starts with a clean map but player levels and engrams are as they were before.

Any ideas where I'm going wrong here?

TIA!

I've tried multiple backups at different times, trying different things.

One of the backups I attempted I saved the server, gave it a moment and brought it down. Did a backup on the SavedArks, renamed it to something else, restored the backup, and it didn't work. I then deleted the restored folder and renamed the old folder back to SavedArks and it didn't work either. It wasn't until I deleted the TheIsland.ark and renamed the latest of the games auto backups that I had something work.

Must learn to read...  must learn to read 🙂
Joe - you'd have called me al sorts of names if you were a "normal" forum user 🙂

Capadillo - It sounds like you're getting some sort of corruption.
Take a checksum of a known working save file, then take a backup - however you normally do that.
Extract the save file from the backup and take the checksum again before seeing if that save will load up in Ark again.

Long time since I've used Linux, but is it possible you have a virus on the server?

54 minutes ago, Larkfields said:

Must learn to read...  must learn to read 🙂
Joe - you'd have called me al sorts of names if you were a "normal" forum user 🙂

Capadillo - It sounds like you're getting some sort of corruption.
Take a checksum of a known working save file, then take a backup - however you normally do that.
Extract the save file from the backup and take the checksum again before seeing if that save will load up in Ark again.

Long time since I've used Linux, but is it possible you have a virus on the server?

There *shouldn't* be any virus, its a fresh install and only used for the server. Though nothing is really impossible, I guess.

I'll attempt the checksum check later when my users have logged off. I personally doubt that its a corruption in the save files, purely because one of the tests didn't involve compressing the folder.

The only things I can really think it would be is the process I am doing to shut down the server and backup the folder. My options aren't really unlimited though...

1. Use the SaveWorld and DoExit commands in-game. Backup the folder. Restart the service.
  2. Rely on the 20 minutes auto-save. Stop the service. Backup the folder. Restart the service.
  3. Rely on the 20 minutes auto-save. Backup the folder. Don't stop the server. Don't stop the service.

I think I've tried all options, are there any other ways to do this? What option do you guys use for yours?

Other than the above; I'm sure I'm resetting permissions for the folder and files in the folder recursively. That shouldn't be an issue.a

I appreciate the input so far, please keep it coming :)

I send a SaveWorld and DoExit through an RCON utility before backing up the entire directory with 7-zip.
This happens automatically in a script that runs at the same time every day.

I've never had a problem with saves that I've extracted from backup - which is why I think your files are being corrupted at some point in the process.
I have a Windows server, but there are quite a few people with Linux servers - I'm sure more people would have been shouting if this was a general issue with linux.

1 hour ago, Larkfields said:

I send a SaveWorld and DoExit through an RCON utility before backing up the entire directory with 7-zip.
This happens automatically in a script that runs at the same time every day.

I've never had a problem with saves that I've extracted from backup - which is why I think your files are being corrupted at some point in the process.
I have a Windows server, but there are quite a few people with Linux servers - I'm sure more people would have been shouting if this was a general issue with linux.

Is your RCON tool CLI? If so what do you use? I've been having a hard time finding something that works for Linux.

I definitely agree that the issues I'm having are specific to me, and it's not widespread. It's frustrating that I can't find many similar issues (I have found a couple) that have resolutions.

Archived