ARK 2 - Base Defences - Limitations - New Mechanics

RANGAMOIYTEEE

Ok so here it goes this is something that has been constantly going through my brain, Lets talk structural defences, do you think we are going to see new defences to replace turrets or just upgraded versions of pre existing turrets/ plat x,y,z ??? Or will we see something a bit more primitive to begin with and not so advanced like modern ark as we know it with tek tier... and wiIl we havbe turret limits still, I'll always remember back in early access being one of the first to finally get a turret up thinking we were the kings, I have to say day 1 was so damn fun nobody knew anything the mystery of what was to come made the game so exciting I've lived and breathed ark for some time and as a pvp player I'm hyped to see a day 1 ark 2 with some cool mechanics something new.

Bring on the unknown if you ask me.

• 2 weeks later...

I think some mods had cool new ideas like tranquilizer turrets, flamethrower turrets, auto narc nade turrets, and rocket turrets as well.  Perhaps a knockback pulse wave cannon would be a cool concept as well but costs quite a bit of element.  Also reinforced building structures that are temporarily element infused and charged that reduces all damage 99% for x minutes but has a long cooldown like one day and takes a day to charge up as well.  As well as a potential EMP bomb/device to knockout electric devices for a short time if you get close enough to turrets on the ground.  Maybe radar jamming technology to make turrets slower to target enemies.  

More traps on the ground, spikes of varying types that also inflict bleed on soaking dinos.  These are all a few base defense ideas and new items I just randomly came up with that may or may not help.

Oh also Megaturrets and Photon Cannons (sorry sounds nerdy but sure better names could replace these) as upgrades to the existing Heavies and Tek Turrets and costly upgraded turrets that respect the turret cap.  These would do more damage but have even slower tracking than the smaller turrets, so great for picking off ranged targets, but terrible for close range support.

Personally I hope they drop the whole Tek thing. Robots and people flying around in jet packs is pretty silly and doesn't seem to gel well with the rest of the game. If you ask me ARK was at its peak around 2016 before all the stupid crap was added. Before all the giant fake creatures with a bazillion hitpoints that one shot everything were added, before the addition of numerous air dinos that rendered everything else obsolete, before the increase in dino level caps and inflated breeding stats.

Back then there was thing called balance...

I hope there is also more attention paid to the different building tiers since at present its entirely possible to skip thatch and wood and also stone quite easily. In fact metal and tech structures are pretty much all you see these days because the rest are so easily rendered obsolete. A large reason for this is the effect of hyper inflation that the increased gathering rates have had on the game. It's also had an effect on what dinos players choose to tame, with most being neglected in favour of the strongest ones since taming and kibble is so much easier these days.

14 hours ago, ForzaProiettile said:

Personally I hope they drop the whole Tek thing. Robots and people flying around in jet packs is pretty silly and doesn't seem to gel well with the rest of the game. If you ask me ARK was at its peak around 2016 before all the stupid crap was added. Before all the giant fake creatures with a bazillion hitpoints that one shot everything were added, before the addition of numerous air dinos that rendered everything else obsolete, before the increase in dino level caps and inflated breeding stats.

I hope there is also more attention paid to the different building tiers since at present its entirely possible to skip thatch and wood and also stone quite easily. In fact metal and tech structures are pretty much all you see these days because the rest are so easily rendered obsolete. A large reason for this is the effect of hyper inflation that the increased gathering rates have had on the game. It's also had an effect on what dinos players choose to tame, with most being neglected in favour of the strongest ones since taming and kibble is so much easier these days.

It is a popular opinion that I have heard often - tech tier and fantasy creatures killed the game balance.  I also remember how much fun the early days of Ark PvP were.  I suppose that if I were to make the decisions behind the creation of Ark 2, it would be a lot like what primitive+ offers but without the 45 minute loading time.  I would like to have weapons and building technology end at the middle ages and all creatures consistent with the fossil record.  Also limit what can be tamed - certainly not a t-rex or giga (which should be about the rex size).  I would want running across a t-rex to be frightening, and not possible to handle without several people.  Stone structures should matter, and mid-level players should be able to build, maintain and keep a base instead of hiding between rocks with a foundation, forge and smithy.   At least for me, Ark is the most fun before you get to tek, manas and offline raiding.

I liked old ark better before Abberation came out. Ragnarok was good. But i really liked legacy when it was all about the Island, Center, and Scorched earth! I was a major pvper, that was where i had the most fun was pre Ragnarok. I know i said pre Abb was good, but i also I feel like after Ragnarok came about thats when the game started to die. Insiding people became off the wall way to popular, i must have went atleast almost a year before i found people to play with, i had one friend carried over from legacy to the new servers when the game released. I played on Xbox. On the old servers i could come on here look for people on the forums and i never really had an issue with insiding, after ark was released as a full game with ragnarok it was an up and down hill experience rollercoaster ride. I would like to see a better mechanics for managing a tribe, the one thing that really got my goat was the fact that i could try to build a tribe base and put vaults or storage boxes with no access and then cause they couldnt get into them all they had to do was place C4 on them and they got everything, there is only so much you can do to prevent your tribe from getting sided, so i would like to see better mechanics to prevent insiding. But anyway most of my good experience came from the legacy servers before ark was released as a full game. On pvp servers i would also like to see a grace period to be able to build before someone is able to destroy your base that way alpha tribes cant abuse their powers, Something like you get 14 days grace period or after so many structures are placed you lose your protection, this gives new players or players looking for a new server a chance to build and feel out the server and get to know people and decided if they need to leave or not. Unless you choose to pvp if you attack someones base you lose the grace period of course, thats not including people just other tribes structures.

1 hour ago, Vengecide said:

I liked old ark better before Abberation came out. Ragnarok was good. But i really liked legacy when it was all about the Island, Center, and Scorched earth! 

I wonder how much of a gap there is between how WC imagined Ark would be played and the reality of how it is being played today.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/26/2021 at 5:46 AM, ForzaProiettile said:

I could not agree more. I'm really hoping that there will be less of (or none at all) technology stuff in Ark 2. Thatch and wood (and mostly stone) are pretty much unusable in pvp and that is largely because of the aforementioned technology.

Archived