NA vs EU servers

NuFu

So, I was thinking after all the laggy EU servers, I might as well look on NA servers to see if thats a better option. 

I gave up after 3 days of travelling and hopping around on all of the PvE servers there are I think. All of them are 100% pillared, not a single spot is available.

Isn't that against CoC?

I went back to the ones I allready playing on, asked around and got an honest answer I guess. EU players are not welcome on those I'm told. We got our "own" servers. Does that mean we are not allowed to play on those as EU inhabitants?

I'm a bit confused now.

Nobody cares where you're from, the only time you'll have someone say anything about it is if you ask. If they wanted to region lock servers they could do it but obviously they haven't.

As for pillaring I've never had an issue finding a place to build on officials, but I see people complain constantly about there being nowhere to build so I don't know what to tell you on that. Find any spot that you can place down a few foundations, stay out of resource spawns and build right up to people's pillar range if you have to. After some time on the server you'll figure out who's active and you can probably work out a deal for them to take down a few pillars.

The biggest thing I've found is that you never ask permission from anyone if you want to be told anything other than no. People are going to be hostile to newcomers a lot of the time so just butt in and don't take no for an answer. Be friendly but firm, and don't let people push you around.

• Volunteer Moderator
2 hours ago, carbonark said:

As for pillaring I've never had an issue finding a place to build on officials, but I see people complain constantly about there being nowhere to build so I don't know what to tell you on that.

Usually, there is plenty of space to build on; but players want to be able to establish directly where they, and thousands of other players, spawned and complain about it without looking further.

First, I play on NA PVE server.  Many nations from Europe seem to be represented.  All are welcome in my mind.  Whether or not there is a rule against it... I don't know and I don't care.  I have a tribe-mate from England and I really enjoy talking to people from all around the globe.

Secondly, Yes, many official server beaches are full of pillars.  It is hard to claim a plot of land in the beginning.  However, if you can buy yourself a little time by living on a raft for a few days... gain some levels... find yourself a flyer and search inland... you will find lots of open space.  Good luck.  Don't give up.

5 hours ago, invincibleqc said:

Usually, there is plenty of space to build on; but players want to be able to establish directly where they, and thousands of other players, spawned and complain about it without looking further.

Often times people call you out in PvE for "spam pillaring" not understanding that we're trying to protect the player-spawns/metal/obsidian/crystal from newer clueless players who would build huge boxes on top of them xD.

I've been reaching out to other maps to branch out on, and the one thing I've learned is you should find some spot to make a temp base just to live on it for a few days. Make it out of wood or stone. Build the basics. (I usually prebuild a 4x4 in stone to carry over with a defensive and build tame). Then, spend a few days traveling around the map to find a good spot for a settlement. Pillar that spot. Then do your REAL migration. But, this is important... play at least 18 hours on that map. If you get a disconnect, reset that timer. If you get another random disconnect... give up on that server and move to the next candidate. 2 weeks ago, I bailed on a build on a Genesis server because I had 3 disconnects over 2 days. My tribemate had the same disconnects at the same time, so it was server side.(server did not crash, though) We lost a bunch of tames in the bog. Bad mojo. By contrast, on my other 3 maps, we rarely ever get a disconnect and thus do not die because of ARKing out.

Once in a map...

I pillar a parameter around by base to prevent blocking spam, not neighbors. I really like neighboring bases and tribes. I greet them when they start building and they greet me when I log in. Doesn't matter the country... We call each other "friend".

Turn your mic on(buy one if you don't have it). Say hello to the map in chat when you log on. Greet everyone as if they are already your friend, because you can already count on them sharing an enjoyment of the game. No matter the geography, we are all playing together. EU, Asian, South American... all call me friend because I started out being their friend. 

And you do not just get warm fuzzy care-bear feelings. You get a rep. That pays off. 

2 hours ago, Ganelon said:

I've been reaching out to other maps to branch out on, and the one thing I've learned is you should find some spot to make a temp base just to live on it for a few days. Make it out of wood or stone. Build the basics. (I usually prebuild a 4x4 in stone to carry over with a defensive and build tame). Then, spend a few days traveling around the map to find a good spot for a settlement. Pillar that spot. Then do your REAL migration. But, this is important... play at least 18 hours on that map. If you get a disconnect, reset that timer. If you get another random disconnect... give up on that server and move to the next candidate. 2 weeks ago, I bailed on a build on a Genesis server because I had 3 disconnects over 2 days. My tribemate had the same disconnects at the same time, so it was server side.(server did not crash, though) We lost a bunch of tames in the bog. Bad mojo. By contrast, on my other 3 maps, we rarely ever get a disconnect and thus do not die because of ARKing out.

Once in a map...

I pillar a parameter around by base to prevent blocking spam, not neighbors. I really like neighboring bases and tribes. I greet them when they start building and they greet me when I log in. Doesn't matter the country... We call each other "friend".

Turn your mic on(buy one if you don't have it). Say hello to the map in chat when you log on. Greet everyone as if they are already your friend, because you can already count on them sharing an enjoyment of the game. No matter the geography, we are all playing together. EU, Asian, South American... all call me friend because I started out being their friend. 

And you do not just get warm fuzzy care-bear feelings. You get a rep. That pays off. 

Really good advice right there. Especially having a pre-fabbed base + monitoring disconnects. Noting worse than setting up and spending time and resources only to realize the server performance sucks.

People pillar the ever loving crap out of the spawn points, and it's for your benefit in the long run. They do this so no one can build where you are forced to spawn into the game. There's nothing quite as fun and exciting as picking a server, creating a character, spawning in, and.... you spawn in someone's locked base with no way out. Yes it happens, a lot. Have fun waiting for an Admin to come along and rescue you. More than likely you'll have died before anyone responds. People also love to pillar around their bases because it actaully affects YOUR performance if someone else's base is too close to yours. Render Lag is a serious beast in this game, and a huge culprit to causing game crashes. 

TL;DR Pillars are a response from the player-base to issues with how the game runs. It sucks, but its better than the alternatives if you're going to invest a lot of time on official. 

Archived