Question about quality weapons, namely torpor inducers

thedrongoofark

13 hours ago, thedrongoofark said:

So I have this journeyman crossbow with 127% damage on it (which I mean to be fair is good in my eyes it does like 388 per headshot or smth) so I was just wondering does that increase the torpor per shot as well or just for straight up damage?

yes, it increases torpor as well as the torpor induced is based off of the damage it produces, except when a multiplier is in effect for different torpor inducers......for instance, a dart gun does more topor than a crossbow, however if you use a shocking tranq dart instead of just a narcotic dart, it will induce even more topor. In other words, it multiplies.

With that said, I have often noticed some truly high quality crossbows do even more torpor than just a primitive dart gun. So in your case, a 127% journeyman crossbow might actually deal slightly more torpor than a dart gun and thus be more effective. Not only  in knocking something out, but more efficiently as you don't need to waste metal! 

15 hours ago, Gooberino said:

Yes, it increases damage and since torpor directly scales with the damage dealt, it also increases torpor inflicted. Some taming apps and websites such as dododex let you type the exact value of your crossbow/longneck so you can see how many shots you need to use compared to a 100% crossbow.

However those numbers are not quite right for fast torpor drain creatures. For gigas example you can add 20% more arrows needed to what it says on dododex.

2 hours ago, wizard03 said:

yes, it increases torpor as well as the torpor induced is based off of the damage it produces, except when a multiplier is in effect for different torpor inducers......for instance, a dart gun does more topor than a crossbow, however if you use a shocking tranq dart instead of just a narcotic dart, it will induce even more topor. In other words, it multiplies.

With that said, I have often noticed some truly high quality crossbows do even more torpor than just a primitive dart gun. So in your case, a 127% journeyman crossbow might actually deal slightly more torpor than a dart gun and thus be more effective. Not only  in knocking something out, but more efficiently as you don't need to waste metal! 

You also have a much smaller reload time which is top notch

18 hours ago, thedrongoofark said:

Yeah I just mean like rifle shots reload within like 10 seconds and crossbows are like 5

Yeah, crossbows are super fast at reload speeds compared to the rifle....I was always a touch confused as to why the shocking darts only worked in the simple rifle compared to the sniper rifle. I guess the devs didn't like the idea of high level players running on the beach and blasting new players with enough shock darts to put someone into a coma for a month XD

15 hours ago, wizard03 said:

Yeah, crossbows are super fast at reload speeds compared to the rifle....I was always a touch confused as to why the shocking darts only worked in the simple rifle compared to the sniper rifle. I guess the devs didn't like the idea of high level players running on the beach and blasting new players with enough shock darts to put someone into a coma for a month XD

I just want to know why you cant use a scope with tranq darts.

13 hours ago, St1ckyBandit said:

I just want to know why you cant use a scope with tranq darts.

3 hours ago, wizard03 said:

HEAR HEAR!
{I agree}

it's because of the ark lore duhhhh

nah haha just kidding

To be honest though I wonder if a scope would actually benefit anything though because tranq darts are quite slow moving so why would you scope onto something just to miss them? I mean you guys can probably explain to me why that'd be good to have tranq scope thingys but currently that's what I'm wondering about.

9 hours ago, thedrongoofark said:

it's because of the ark lore duhhhh

nah haha just kidding

To be honest though I wonder if a scope would actually benefit anything though because tranq darts are quite slow moving so why would you scope onto something just to miss them? I mean you guys can probably explain to me why that'd be good to have tranq scope thingys but currently that's what I'm wondering about.

When you have something trapped it would be easier to hit it in the dome with a scope.

On 2/10/2021 at 11:59 PM, thedrongoofark said:

it's because of the ark lore duhhhh nah haha just kidding To be honest though I wonder if a scope would actually benefit anything though because tranq darts are quite slow moving so why would you scope onto something just to miss them? I mean you guys can probably explain to me why that'd be good to have tranq scope thingys but currently that's what I'm wondering about.

People who use controllers {at least me} like to have that lil bit of extra precession due to the clunkiness of a joystick

On 2/8/2021 at 7:55 PM, Luewen said:

However those numbers are not quite right for fast torpor drain creatures. For gigas example you can add 20% more arrows needed to what it says on dododex.

I have never found that to be true. If one inputs the quality of the weapon into Dododex then the number of rounds it calculates are almost always spot on.

The only times more rounds are needed are if there is a same-species animal of the opposite sex nearby, causing the taming target to be mate boosted, or if there is a problem with server performance during the taming. Server lag will definitely cause rounds to get "eaten" by the game or will sometimes cause extra torpor to drain so some extra shots are required.

Having said that, I've tamed bunches of fast torpor drain creatures and the dododex number are very accurate.

1 hour ago, Pipinghot said:

I have never found that to be true. If one inputs the quality of the weapon into Dododex then the number of rounds it calculates are almost always spot on.

The only times more rounds are needed are if there is a same-species animal of the opposite sex nearby, causing the taming target to be mate boosted, or if there is a problem with server performance during the taming. Server lag will definitely cause rounds to get "eaten" by the game or will sometimes cause extra torpor to drain so some extra shots are required.

Having said that, I've tamed bunches of fast torpor drain creatures and the dododex number are very accurate.

Every giga i have tamed has needed 15 to 20% more arrows than dododex says.

On 2/12/2021 at 5:48 AM, Luewen said:

That may be true but it's not Dododex's fault, the math in dododex is spot on. I'm not saying it's necessarily your fault either, there are multiple causes and we all have this happen.

* an animal nearby causing mate boosting (caused by the game, but it's a player error to not notice it when it happens)

* arrows/bullet that hit the taming pen rather than the target (in my experience these are mostly because of lag, so it's neither the game's fault nor the player's fault, it's simply a thing that happens because lag exists)

* server performance - sometimes rounds seem to hit, you even get blood splatter, but the shot never registers. This is pretty much the game/server fault, and it happens a lot on Official servers.

* additional torpor drain caused by server performance/lag - sometimes torpor just "disappears" especially if the server is extra busy that day

* probably something else I'm not thinking of at the moment

In the end, I agree with what you're saying, it's always a good idea to bring extra taming supplies, but that's not Dododex's fault, the math on Dododex is almost always exactly right. You don't need to take my word for it, if you ever need to prove this to yourself then play a local/host copy of the game, use admin commands to spawn an animal into your trap and taming supplies, then use the fly command to have a good clear view of the target and start shooting.

What you will find is that Dododex gets it right every time.

• Volunteer Moderator
17 hours ago, Luewen said:

I can't tell if that app is right or not (because I don't use it), but you are likely over-tranquing it. Here's a video I posted back in 2017 illustrating that:

Spoiler

You can see I stop shooting it at 3:00, and it continue to raise for 2+ minutes until it goes unconscious. If you just continue to shoot at it, instead of waiting for what you shot to actually apply then yeah, you will shoot hundreds of extra unneeded arrows.

9 hours ago, invincibleqc said:

I can't tell if that app is right or not (because I don't use it), but you are likely over-tranquing it. Here's a video I posted back in 2017 illustrating that:

Hide contents

You can see I stop shooting it at 3:00, and it continue to raise for 2+ minutes until it goes unconscious. If you just continue to shoot at it, instead of waiting for what you shot to actually apply then yeah, you will shoot hundreds of extra unneeded arrows.

Yes and dododex has the setting for adjusting how often you shoot so it should count it to that. Results are wrong on 3 to 5 second settings. 

15 hours ago, invincibleqc said:

Reveal hidden contents

Not sure if it was a bug or not, the first giga we ever tamed kept going unconscious because we had over tranqued it. Even after it was tamed it's torpor kept going up and it would pass out, we'd stim it back awake and it's torpor would just continue to climb. Made it a nightmare to get back to our base at the other end of the Island. Fun times :D   

8 hours ago, Luewen said:

Yes and dododex has the setting for adjusting how often you shoot so it should count it to that. Results are wrong on 3 to 5 second settings. 

The results are highly accurate on 3-5 seconds settings.

Again, if you doubt this then test it on your local/host copy of the game, you can't expect Dododex to be responsible for server/internet/lag/player issues, the math on Dododex is spot on. If you're basing your answers on Official servers (or possibly even on some other Unofficial or dedicated server) then you're blaming Dododex for something that is beyond Dododex's control.

The only reason to change the time setting is if your time between hits is more than 5 seconds, because animals will lose a little bit of torpor between hits when your hits are more than 5 seconds apart. If your hits are 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 seconds apart then the numbers don't change, the only thing that matters is when your hits are more than 5 seconds apart.

For example, if you're taming a Lvl 150 giga you can set the timer to 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and none of the numbers change, and that's true because of how the torpor-over-time works. If your hits average more than 5 seconds apart (because of either player error or because of server/lag issues) then the numbers do change, that's what the timer feature is for.

On 2/14/2021 at 12:43 AM, Pipinghot said:

The results are highly accurate on 3-5 seconds settings.

Again, if you doubt this then test it on your local/host copy of the game, you can't expect Dododex to be responsible for server/internet/lag/player issues, the math on Dododex is spot on. If you're basing your answers on Official servers (or possibly even on some other Unofficial or dedicated server) then you're blaming Dododex for something that is beyond Dododex's control.

The only reason to change the time setting is if your time between hits is more than 5 seconds, because animals will lose a little bit of torpor between hits when your hits are more than 5 seconds apart. If your hits are 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 seconds apart then the numbers don't change, the only thing that matters is when your hits are more than 5 seconds apart.

For example, if you're taming a Lvl 150 giga you can set the timer to 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and none of the numbers change, and that's true because of how the torpor-over-time works. If your hits average more than 5 seconds apart (because of either player error or because of server/lag issues) then the numbers do change, that's what the timer feature is for.

Yes i know that but the results are not accurate on gigas. Tested now on both single player and server envinronment. And even on server lag wont explain 15 to 20% more arrows needed.

16 hours ago, Luewen said:

Yes i know that but the results are not accurate on gigas. Tested now on both single player and server envinronment. And even on server lag wont explain 15 to 20% more arrows needed.

Disagree, the results are completely accurate on gigas.

Before I made my previous post I tested on a giga in single player, just to be sure, and Dododex was exactly correct. I know you're not going to want to hear this but you're doing something wrong. Dododex gives me the correct information every time, it has never been wrong yet (Or to be more specific, it's never been wrong on any knockout tames. There have been a few passive tames where it seemed to me like something was wrong, but I'm not willing to blame Dododex for something that might have been my own error on passive tames.)

If you want to talk about it more I'm happy to help you figure out what's going wrong, I'm not trying to pick on you or make you feel bad, would much rather offer you information that can help you figure out how to get past this.

26 minutes ago, Pipinghot said:

Disagree, the results are completely accurate on gigas.

Before I made my previous post I tested on a giga in single player, just to be sure, and Dododex was exactly correct. I know you're not going to want to hear this but you're doing something wrong. Dododex gives me the correct information every time, it has never been wrong yet (Or to be more specific, it's never been wrong on any knockout tames. There have been a few passive tames where it seemed to me like something was wrong, but I'm not willing to blame Dododex for something that might have been my own error on passive tames.)

If you want to talk about it more I'm happy to help you figure out what's going wrong, I'm not trying to pick on you or make you feel bad, would much rather offer you information that can help you figure out how to get past this.

Quite a bold claim on it never being wrong on knockout tames. I remember plenty of occasions.
And tested again on single player. lvl 100 giga. Says it needs 148 bolts with 298% crossbow. Stopping to shoot it at 148 took it to 80% torpor before it started falling again. Took 170 bolts to knock it out. Tested 2 times a row. Not a single bolt missed.

Archived