What is the appeal of Aberration?

thedrongoofark

Hello my community, just wondering something

Ok, please don't kill me when I say this, but when I played a bit of Aberration, it was kinda dull and I just don't see what could be the fun thing about it, I had a bit more fun dying to wolf packs in scorched earth than walking around the confusing Aberration. It's so dark and dangerous I just don't see the appeal for players who don't grind a lot. That doesn't mean I don't think there are fun things about it, I just don't know them.

Could some of you guys explain to me why Aberration is such a popular map?

Have you been up to the surface? Down into the drake trench? Explored the rad zone? Hunted for reaper queens? There's quite a bit of danger there, but if you stick to the green and blue zones it's understandable why you wouldn't find much to do. Aberration doesn't get interesting until you work your way into those areas

It depends if it's PvP or PvE I guess, as always. I can only speak for PvE where it's probably the best map by far. The lack of fliers makes every trip a dangerous adventure and the Red zone is almost like doing caving in the Island. The casual danger is much higher than other maps feeling more engaging throughout the progression. Visually it's incredible though eventually it does make you miss the blue open skies. I always thought it was funny that red and green zones are in other maps too now, but the blue one ,which I think is the coolest, never made it to other maps.

I do wish the Nameless where implemented differently though rather than being the sole reason you need a light pet all the time. Like roaming/ambushing warbands attacking bases etc with the Alpha dropping some loot, rather than this never ending annoying waves of pests. I mean there is so much they could have done with them to make them a unique interesting opponent&danger for that map

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/7/2021 at 10:09 AM, thedrongoofark said:

Hello my community, just wondering something

Ok, please don't kill me when I say this, but when I played a bit of Aberration, it was kinda dull and I just don't see what could be the fun thing about it, I had a bit more fun dying to wolf packs in scorched earth than walking around the confusing Aberration. It's so dark and dangerous I just don't see the appeal for players who don't grind a lot. That doesn't mean I don't think there are fun things about it, I just don't know them.

Could some of you guys explain to me why Aberration is such a popular map?

It's a no-flyer map and those usually keep you on your feet (literally xD). "Survival evolved" actually means something on this map, compared to other maps where you get a flyer and just skip 90% of the dangers the game has to offer. Getting your first  rock drake egg is quite the adventure unless you spoil yourself by just trading it or using youtube to look everything up. The caves were really tough as well when there were no cryo pods and you had to crouch in without any tames (given thats easier nowadays and you can even find the arties on crystal island as of late). 

• 2 weeks later...

abberation has:

1. yes, beautiful aesthetics across the map. Especially the blue zone. 

2. incredible verticality. You start out traversing on foot a lot.  because fliers are not available, the map will have a brand new feel as soon as you getyour first drake.

3. Creative new creatures and interesting new items. Examples: zip lines pair with ravagers, glide suit, charge pets are weak but keep you safe from nameless and allow you to kill reapers

4. interesting story. read those notes instead of ignoring them.

• 2 months later...

Fun story... 

It had been ages since I played on Ab, and so I set myself to branch out a base on what looked like a decent server. I transmitted myself to the AB server with a full set of desert gear, a wing suit, a spare transmitter, the fixings for a starter base, a magmasaur, and a rock drake. My goal was to setup and farm a squad of Rock Drakes, as I only had the one that I had traded for.

I was circling  fert lake to see if there was a good spot, and I rode into a patch of shrooms and got poisoned. I had forgotten which mushroom would counter it and died, leaving all this and the drake on a high bridge that is not accessible on foot. The level of anguish was exquisite.

I was fortunate enough to get help from an outstanding player (Towel of Tegrity) who used his skiff help me to fully recover. I offered my magmasaur as a gift for his kindness, and he declined... and even gave me a full evo suit to protect me from future foibles of that kind. I promptly headed by to my home server to better plan, but with community players like that, I will definitely make that server my home. (fun fact, we discovered that I had died right outside his tek base!!!)

We both had a good chuckle out of the whole thing... as even an experienced player cannot let his guard down in the 'safest' areas of that map.

• 3 weeks later...

abb is a awesome map ! (keep in mind it is my favorite by FAR, having played at least 6Khrs in official on it only !)

reason i liek it so much is because ... no flyer (yeah seems strange right) because even if most map are interesting most ppl dont notice the small details of the map because well, they just fly above it ;( so that for me is a great bonus to the map, also the fact that it has many "level" ? make for a very interesting map to explore !

the beauty of it ofc !

pvp wise it is the map where i had the most fun ! using zip line on the ceiling cave, shooting ppl with a fab in the darkness, and seeing em run everywhere not knowing where it is coming from, just gold ! the surface mechanic (day/night time) rushing to get drops will getting hunted by reaper just magic (my first time was with a ravager, it was the first time in a LONG time that i hadnt felt that much adrenaline ^^)

getting a reaper when the map came out trying to set up a trap with the charge lantern, and balista, same amazing (was painfull but the feeling of acomplishementt when the reaper was born, and grown was just amazing !

and then the drake O.o litterally for me the best tame ever ! (i wish so hard we could breed em ...)

the map is yes hard i agree maybe harder than any other map yes, but the reward are so much better !!!

Archived