The game cheating players out of their tames

Laveyan

19 hours ago, Pipinghot said:

While I understand the argument you're trying to make, the real point is that what happened was not a bug. Everything else in this conversation is extra information. The thing that matters most is that this was not a bug, it was behavior that was deliberately designed to work that way and it's important for people to understand how the game works.

All of us have elements of the game that we disagree with, things that we wish they would change, but that doesn't mean those things are bugs, they're just decisions that we disagree with. For example, I think it's incredibly stupid that when you put a shoulder pet on the ground the placement is unpredictable. Even the smallest smidgen of common sense would tell you that a person is perfectly capable of deliberately placing their shoulder pet on the exact spot they want them to go. But no matter how incredibly stupid it is that doesn't mean it's a bug.

What happened to the OP was a bummer, and you certainly have the right to disagree with that decision by the game designers, but it was not a bug/glitch.

Exactly! 

13 hours ago, Laveyan said:

Yea Piping I know I shouldn't be on a beginner server and I really don't like playing on them either, but currently they're the only "fresh" official pve servers in the game, as I completely refuse to play on an unofficial server or on a pvp server. With every normal official pve server out there, there will be no good base spots to build on as there will be bases almost everywhere around the map, so until Wildcard adds a new island server I'm stuck playing on beginner servers.

Interesting perspective. Alot of people come to this game for many reasons, as there are quite a few paths to enjoy in the interlocking systems of the game. I was trying to fathom why someone would choose to play on a reduced server, but then it occuried to me it may be because you get your primary bliss from the building environment. Those servers would inhibit the 'box tribes' from filling all the prime spots with their breeding/farming bases. I can see the appeal.

18 hours ago, Laveyan said:

Yea Piping I know I shouldn't be on a beginner server and I really don't like playing on them either, but currently they're the only "fresh" official pve servers in the game, as I completely refuse to play on an unofficial server or on a pvp server. With every normal official pve server out there, there will be no good base spots to build on as there will be bases almost everywhere around the map, so until Wildcard adds a new island server I'm stuck playing on beginner servers.

You're not "stuck" doing anything. You've made a choice and you're trying to justify it by blaming WC for not catering to you by having "fresh" servers whenever you want them. You have made a choice, it's your choice, you own it, and it's your responsibility that you're playing on a beginner server, not WC's responsibility.

Obviously I'm not the boss of you, I don't have the right to tell you where to play. But when you're posting on public forums what I do have the right to do is call you out for abusing the beginner's server and make clear that your excuses are just that, excuses. I've played PvE on multiple Official servers and you can always find good places to build. It may not be the perfect place, that one spot you were hoping to get, but that can happen on a "fresh" server too. There is always the chance that someone else will build on the spot you want before you an get there. No one is guaranteed the spot they want, not even on a brand new server. But there are always multiple good locations as long as you're willing to work at finding them. Having a fresh server is not a right, being able to build in exactly the spot you want to is also not a right, those are not valid excuses for playing on a beginner server.

WildCard is guilty of plenty of things, there are many errors that we can blame them for, but this is not one of them. Just because you want a "fresh" server doesn't mean there's any obligation to provide you with one.

33 minutes ago, Pipinghot said:

You're not "stuck" doing anything. You've made a choice and you're trying to justify it by blaming WC for not catering to you by having "fresh" servers whenever you want them. You have made a choice, it's your choice, you own it, and it's your responsibility that you're playing on a beginner server, not WC's responsibility.

Obviously I'm not the boss of you, I don't have the right to tell you where to play. But when you're posting on public forums what I do have the right to do is call you out for abusing the beginner's server and make clear that your excuses are just that, excuses. I've played PvE on multiple Official servers and you can always find good places to build. It may not be the perfect place, that one spot you were hoping to get, but that can happen on a "fresh" server too. There is always the chance that someone else will build on the spot you want before you an get there. No one is guaranteed the spot they want, not even on a brand new server. But there are always multiple good locations as long as you're willing to work at finding them. Having a fresh server is not a right, being able to build in exactly the spot you want to is also not a right, those are not valid excuses for playing on a beginner server.

WildCard is guilty of plenty of things, there are many errors that we can blame them for, but this is not one of them. Just because you want a "fresh" server doesn't mean there's any obligation to provide you with one.

How is the fact that they're playing on beginners servers relevant? The AI doesn't change because you add 100 levels to it. What do you even mean by "abusing" beginners PVE servers? How exactly are they going to ruin the game for new players just by playing on the beginners server?

The AI works the way it's intended to, regardless of if OP agrees with it or not, but there's no reason why they shouldn't play beginners servers if that's what they prefer to do. It's not like pvp where someone can just terrorize new players because of having more experience.

On 2/4/2021 at 8:56 PM, Laveyan said:

Nice try Cowgirl, but in my 1800 hours of playing this game and many times defending unconscious dinos from predators this has never actually happened to me before where the predator would ignore me and instead go for the unconscious dino, so no this is not a legit loss this is one of those many screw ups that the game has an un-ending supply of.  Predators do NOT use this kind of behavior, that bary was supposed to keep attacking me like every other time I've fought a predator, or run away. Predators only switch targets due to some prey being closer than the one they're chasing which was not the case here.

In my 6,098 hours I have seen it happen many times, especially if its a group of predators, some go to you and some go to the KOd dino, or dino you dont want them to attack.

1 hour ago, carbonark said:

How is the fact that they're playing on beginners servers relevant?

Relevant to the game mechanics? It's not, and I never implied that it is.

Relevant to the fact that the OP claims they have 1800 hours playing ark? Completely relevant.

The OP is not a beginner and should already be well aware of the various behaviors that carnivores in the game exhibit. There was nothing, nothing at all, that was surprising or unusual about what happened to the OP that prompted them to start this thread. The OP's failure to understand the game mechanics of carnivores is not the game's fault nor WC's fault. This is how carnivores have behaved for a long time now which someone with 1800 hours should already understand.

1 hour ago, carbonark said:

The AI doesn't change because you add 100 levels to it. What do you even mean by "abusing" beginners PVE servers? How exactly are they going to ruin the game for new players just by playing on the beginners server?

The AI works the way it's intended to, regardless of if OP agrees with it or not, but there's no reason why they shouldn't play beginners servers if that's what they prefer to do. It's not like pvp where someone can just terrorize new players because of having more experience.

That's true, the AI doesn't change. Then again I never said that it does so you're making up a false argument to argue against. Don't put words in my mouth.

As for why it matters, beginner servers are for beginners, that's a pretty obvious tautology.

You, of course, have the right to disagree with that opinion but I'm not going to change it. I will continue to believe that experienced players have no business playing on a beginner server. Your opinion may vary.

Lol Piping you've been wrong since your first post on my thread, you say this isn't a bug and it's normal behavior, then where's the proof, where's the official post from Wildcard saying that this is exactly how the dino's AI is supposed to act? Exactly, they didn't make one which means what you're saying is just your belief on how you THINK it works. Also I never said it was my right to play on a fresh server, and yes it rather is Wildcard's responsibility to create new servers every now and again, not for my sake but for the sake of all the new players that come into the game, once they start playing the game or transfer off the beginner servers they suddenly find that every good base location is already taken so that requires new servers to fix that problem, simple logic. Now kindly get the hell off my thread Piping before I turn this into a flaming war, you and everybody else can't disprove me on anything unless Wildcard themselves has made an official announcement saying that this works like that or that works like this, so good fight you lost. I formally request that a forum mod lock this thread as my question has more or less been answered with "beliefs" and no real evidence and to prevent this thread from going off topic.

P.S. CastleRock, my pteranodon was landed on the ground when the bary switched targets to answer your question.

Archived