The game cheating players out of their tames

Laveyan

Was wondering if this happened to anybody else before, I was in the swamp and I had knocked out a lvl 30 diplocaulus(it's on a beginner server so max wild dino lvl is 30 so it was a jackpot), while the diplo was laying there unconscious I saw a baryonyx nearby so I mounted my pteranodon and placed myself between the bary and the diplo. The bary saw me and came running at me and attacked me while I was mounted on my bird so we fought for a few seconds but suddenly the bary stopped attacking me(I did not move away I was sitting there landed hitting the bary) and the bary went right around behind me and went straight to attacking the diplo killing it. The game literally cheated me out of that tame because there's no way that bary should've just stopped attacking me like that and went for the diplo 10 feet or so behind me.

32 minutes ago, Laveyan said:

Well Joe, everybody knows that this game's dino AI isn't good, the dinos are actually very bad AI-wise.

You're angry that this one had good AI? They cannot both work on the game and leave things as they are. I mean...a predator is not dumb enough to fight a prey item that can fight back (potentially dealing a fatal blow) when there is a perfectly good KOd prey item right by them, you have to look ahead, scope out predators that might be trouble and deal with them before they get near you, build traps and protections for your tames. This was a legit loss, if it had been that one single bary suddenly glitched into 4 and killed everything that would be one thing but this kind of thing happens sometimes, no glitches needed. Was it unlucky? Definitely, but it wasn't because of some glitch or something, many of the dinos on the game (especially predators) have trouble focusing on one thing they are attacking, have you ever tried to kite a spino into a trap?

Nice try Cowgirl, but in my 1800 hours of playing this game and many times defending unconscious dinos from predators this has never actually happened to me before where the predator would ignore me and instead go for the unconscious dino, so no this is not a legit loss this is one of those many screw ups that the game has an un-ending supply of.  Predators do NOT use this kind of behavior, that bary was supposed to keep attacking me like every other time I've fought a predator, or run away. Predators only switch targets due to some prey being closer than the one they're chasing which was not the case here.

• Volunteer Moderator
2 minutes ago, Laveyan said:

Predators do NOT use this kind of behavior,

BS. 

You expect a game to act like WoW with a clearly defined agro system with tanks and DPS. A predator in real life would have skipped your butt in an instant to get the kill and the food. 

Just a few minutes before the incident with the bary, I came across another bary and seemingly uninjured, I attacked it but instead of fighting back it ran away, exact same circumstances as with the bary that attacked my diplo but very different behavior for no reason, proof that this game's dino AI behavior is bugged.

I mean.. this is why people put spikes around the dinos they are taming....

Even when I had spikes up things like this have happened with snakes slithering over them and going straight for the tame and not me who is standing right next to the tame. I also had a rhino knocked out with taming almost done, couldnt put spikes up cause of pillars in that area so I was staying near killing everything in sight and somehow a yuti just ran right past me and hit the rhino. It sucks but in situations like this I dont go around blaming the game, it was my fault for allowing it to happen.

These things happen so you have to do your best to keep them alive. The swamp is one of the most dangerous places to tame and the fact that you thought that a single ptera was going to be enough to protect it was your first mistake.

9 hours ago, Laveyan said:

Nice try Cowgirl, but in my 1800 hours of playing this game and many times defending unconscious dinos from predators this has never actually happened to me before where the predator would ignore me and instead go for the unconscious dino, so no this is not a legit loss this is one of those many screw ups that the game has an un-ending supply of.  Predators do NOT use this kind of behavior, that bary was supposed to keep attacking me like every other time I've fought a predator, or run away. Predators only switch targets due to some prey being closer than the one they're chasing which was not the case here.

In my 5800 hours over five and half years of playing Ark this happens a lot and is the reason you clear the area. Just recently caught a 168 Tek Quetz, all black and dark purple in the red forest. Was a nail biting, sweaty palm, anxiety inducing hour and forty four minutes. Threw down spike walls, and still had to carefully hand to hand fight a couple hyenas that slipped under the spike wall. Lost many great tames to this "feature" though, like a new blue saber 145 to another saber that ignored me on foot. My own fault I know the rules, clear the area.

In my short time of 5 months? of playing.., I’m gonna agree with Laveyan only for the simple fact as survivors and even the lowliest of life forms are surviving  the Ark? Who or what, would worry about anyone or any thing that’s unconscious when they are or it’s being attacked/confronted by someone or something? In that sense.. 💯 agree with Laveyan. But it’s a game and every game has its flaws unfortunately and this happens to be one, iimho. I’ve cleared the area many times, left to gather prime meat because of the expiration, just to come back and clear the area again. Spawns would be the problem over random wanderers, you never know when those stupid Dilos that are so small, will spawn.. and you can’t help but hit your possible tames and kill it 😂 because they are now inside your possible tame.. or those Defenders that can’t beat any thing will go directly to the unconscious Dino 😂😂😂.. I mean seriously, there are other mobs out there that’s like.. between my possible tame and you.. or the Rex that just wants to help the unconscious Rex 😂😂😂. Whatever the problem is.. enjoy the xp? That’s what I do at least, lol 😂😂😂 but yeah, point Laveyan.. that’s my take on this 😂😂😂

Ren

The Killer of Tribe Dinos

Makaiwi Tribe

Server 1077

2 hours ago, Dezes1 said:

Predators flee after taking enough damage, and if they flee near an easy meal, well they are happy to eat something that wont fight back, the mindset that after an animal is down to tame that it should be a guaranteed safe tame is pretty simplistic and unrealistic.

I’m wondering how many times I’d need to hit/stab/gore/shoot you before you stopped feeding? 😂😂😂

Ren

The Killer of Tribe Dinos

Makaiwi Tribe

Server 1077

On 2/4/2021 at 10:36 PM, Laveyan said:

Was wondering if this happened to anybody else before, I was in the swamp and I had knocked out a lvl 30 diplocaulus(it's on a beginner server so max wild dino lvl is 30 so it was a jackpot), while the diplo was laying there unconscious I saw a baryonyx nearby so I mounted my pteranodon and placed myself between the bary and the diplo. The bary saw me and came running at me and attacked me while I was mounted on my bird so we fought for a few seconds but suddenly the bary stopped attacking me(I did not move away I was sitting there landed hitting the bary) and the bary went right around behind me and went straight to attacking the diplo killing it. The game literally cheated me out of that tame because there's no way that bary should've just stopped attacking me like that and went for the diplo 10 feet or so behind me.

It didn't cheat you, you just don't understand the behavior of carnivores in this game.

Carnivores will (almost) always attack the easiest+nearest edible target first. For example, if you're using your pteranodon to kite a carnivore away from your base the carnivore will constantly stop chasing you and will go fight/kill any live animal within their aggro range. Even if you are closer to the carnivore than other animals, at any slight break in the fighting it will very often stop attacking you to fight those other animals, including animals that are on the other side of you from the carnivore. Just because you aggro'd it first does not automatically mean it will keep attacking you. Carnivores are opportunistic and will attack whatever they "think" will give them an easy meal.

Protecting a downed tame from an herbivore is easy, protecting them from carnivores it tricky. Also, any time that you're taming something in the swamp or any other dangerous area the first thing you should do is put down spike walls around it the moment you knock it out (assuming you're able to place structures on that spot).

Remember, there's a reason you're on the beginner server, it's to learn more about the game. Don't just automatically assume that everything that goes wrong is a problem with the game, sometimes it's an opportunity to learn more.

Wishing you better luck with your next swamp tame.

On 2/5/2021 at 12:08 AM, Laveyan said:

Just a few minutes before the incident with the bary, I came across another bary and seemingly uninjured, I attacked it but instead of fighting back it ran away, exact same circumstances as with the bary that attacked my diplo but very different behavior for no reason, proof that this game's dino AI behavior is bugged.

All predators run away sometimes. That's not a bug, it's behavior that was deliberately programmed by WildCard so that they're not 100% predictable.

* Most of the time they fight you.

* Sometimes they pretend to run away but then circle back to attack you again

* Once in a while, they just run away and don't come back

This is how the game has worked for a very long time, which you should know with your 1800 hours of experience.

On 2/5/2021 at 1:38 PM, Fabz7882 said:

In my short time of 5 months? of playing.., I’m gonna agree with Laveyan only for the simple fact as survivors and even the lowliest of life forms are surviving  the Ark? Who or what, would worry about anyone or any thing that’s unconscious when they are or it’s being attacked/confronted by someone or something?

While I understand the argument you're trying to make, the real point is that what happened was not a bug. Everything else in this conversation is extra information. The thing that matters most is that this was not a bug, it was behavior that was deliberately designed to work that way and it's important for people to understand how the game works.

All of us have elements of the game that we disagree with, things that we wish they would change, but that doesn't mean those things are bugs, they're just decisions that we disagree with. For example, I think it's incredibly stupid that when you put a shoulder pet on the ground the placement is unpredictable. Even the smallest smidgen of common sense would tell you that a person is perfectly capable of deliberately placing their shoulder pet on the exact spot they want them to go. But no matter how incredibly stupid it is that doesn't mean it's a bug.

What happened to the OP was a bummer, and you certainly have the right to disagree with that decision by the game designers, but it was not a bug/glitch.

Yea Piping I know I shouldn't be on a beginner server and I really don't like playing on them either, but currently they're the only "fresh" official pve servers in the game, as I completely refuse to play on an unofficial server or on a pvp server. With every normal official pve server out there, there will be no good base spots to build on as there will be bases almost everywhere around the map, so until Wildcard adds a new island server I'm stuck playing on beginner servers.

Archived